Army SF then doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thtoneguy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm kind of trying to figure out my career path and would love some input. I'm 20 years old and am going into my first year of college, my school has a pre health major that takes care of all the requirements for med school, I will be graduating on time no matter what even if I have to take summer classes. What I really need help with is what comes next. I've always wanted to join the military (army in particular because both parents served in the army, but I'm open to all branches). With that said I've also always wanted to do SF. My question is if I did something like Army SF medic after college what kind of contract would I be looking at signing, I think i saw its the 18D, how long is that contract for? After being in the military I would want to go to med school. Would schools like the fact that I went this route? Would I still have to do the 4 years in med school and then the internship and residency after the military even though I would already have a background in medicine or would things be slightly different? I would appreciate any guidance here as I am completely lost.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone I'm kind of trying to figure out my career path and would love some input. I'm 20 years old and am going into my first year of college, my school has a pre health major that takes care of all the requirements for med school, I will be graduating on time no matter what even if I have to take summer classes. What I really need help with is what comes next. I've always wanted to join the military (army in particular because both parents served in the army, but I'm open to all branches). With that said I've also always wanted to do SF. My question is if I did something like Army SF medic after college what kind of contract would I be looking at signing, I think i saw its the 18D, how long is that contract for? After being in the military I would want to go to med school. Would schools like the fact that I went this route? Would I still have to do the 4 years in med school and then the internship and residency after the military even though I would already have a background in medicine or would things be slightly different? I would appreciate any guidance here as I am completely lost.
Thank you

You'll have to take an 18X contract, which, IIRC, is a minimum 5 year contract (if you can get it). It also does not guarantee a particular SF MOS.

I can't imagine any medical school out there that would not greatly value your service in the military if you choose to take this route. Your length of medical school and residency (depending on specialty) will be the same.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My friend graduated from West Point and went straight in as an army medic to Korea for 2 yrs. now he's graduated KCOM debt free an at an army residency in San Antonio. I think his service is longer...like longer than 10 yrs or something but he loves it and never regrets it.

My friend graduated from West Point and went straight in as an army medic to Korea for 2 yrs. now he's graduated KCOM debt free an at an army residency in San Antonio. I think his service is longer...like longer than 10 yrs or something but he loves it and never regrets it.

How did your friend become an Army medic after graduating from West Point? You graduate West Point as a Second Lieutenant (2LT). Officers cannot be medics (68Ws). They can branch into the AMEDD but to be a 68W, you have to be enlisted.

But to the OP: remember that you need to successfully pass and be selected to go to the 18D course, which is obviously never guaranteed. I've had many friends that were former 68Ws that later went to medical school. While the SF stuff is pretty hooah, don't feel like you need to be a long tabber just to get into medical school. If you do choose to serve, thanks for volunteering!

Reactions: 1 user
There is no point for you to enlist as a 18D especially if you have a degree. What is your main goal? If it is to become a physician, I would suggest for you to get into medical school and take the HPSP. Afterward, you can volunteer to be a physician for a Ranger/SF Unit.

BTW, you can certainly get a 18X contract at MEPS. However, you have to go trough the grueling training of SF. It's literally months in hell. Even if you make it through the pain, you can still fail because you will be voted in or out by current SF members who are your graders.

How did your friend become an Army medic after graduating from West Point? You graduate West Point as a Second Lieutenant (2LT). Officers cannot be medics (68Ws). They can branch into the AMEDD but to be a 68W, you have to be enlisted.

But to the OP: remember that you need to successfully pass and be selected to go to the 18D course, which is obviously never guaranteed. I've had many friends that were former 68Ws that later went to medical school. While the SF stuff is pretty hooah, don't feel like you need to be a long tabber just to get into medical school. If you do choose to serve, thanks for volunteering!
My apologies, it was my understanding that he was in the medical unit, as he wore the insignia pin at his wedding, when he came back from overseas, before med school. You would obviously know better than I. I must have misunderstood what he was doing.

You'll have to take an 18X contract, which, IIRC, is a minimum 5 year contract (if you can get it). It also does not guarantee a particular SF MOS.

I can't imagine any medical school out there that would not greatly value your service in the military if you choose to take this route. Your length of medical school and residency (depending on specialty) will be the same.

Good luck!
Not only not guarantee a specific MOS, but does not guarantee getting through selection at all, at which point you're in the army for 5 years doing who knows what.

Even if you manage to get 18D, there is a good chance that you won't be doing any medical stuff despite your training. What is the reason? No reason. It is just the way our military does business.

Reactions: 1 user
Not only not guarantee a specific MOS, but does not guarantee getting through selection at all, at which point you're in the army for 5 years doing who knows what.

Well, that goes without saying.

But to delve into this further: if you fail out early in the pipeline, you'll most likely end up an 11B in the 82nd.

Anecdote: I know of someone getting booted during the 18D pipeline. Since he already had SOCM, he was able to request a RIP (now RASP) class.

Even if you manage to get 18D, there is a good chance that you won't be doing any medical stuff despite your training. What is the reason? No reason. It is just the way our military does business.

The 18D pipeline is long enough that they'll get their fill of medical stuff during training. If they're on an ODA, they'll certainly be used as a medic.

Adcoms have a very soft spot for veterans.

Just keep in mind that SF are the best of the best. Don't you have to make it through airborne, then rangers before SF? Army guys, do enlighten me!

Thank you

Adcoms have a very soft spot for veterans.

Just keep in mind that SF are the best of the best. Don't you have to make it through airborne, then rangers before SF? Army guys, do enlighten me!

RIP/RASP OR Ranger School (they're different) is not a part of the prescribed SF training pipeline. They do go through Airborne school after 11B OSUT (infantry combined basic training and AIT), though.

And to add something else even if you get selected to try out for Special Forces the training failure rate is extremely high. I know a couple of fellow officers on Active Duty who tried out and didn't make it. Needless to say both of these guys were high speed officers and in great physical shape. Nothing is guaranteed in the Army and what is a hot career today two years down the road might be a dead end.

There's another thing to consuder here, with regsrd to SF and infantry and medics, OP. Aside from the opportunities posdible by choosing these options, you damn well better understand that at some point it's very likely that you WILL get shot at. I don't know if you've experienced that before, but it ain't all fun and games out there.

Thank you

As someone who was SF in the Army and is now starting my 4th year in med school, I can say that this is something that can be done but is certainly not the recommended path. Based only on my experience some schools will certainly like this, but this would in no way shorten your time in med school or residency. As has been stated your MCAT will likely no longer be current and have to be retaken, not to mention that you will likely need additional coursework to help you review basic sciences prior to starting medical school.

I recommend you choose what you want to do. The military and medicine are both interesting careers but choose one and work at that one. If you do the military it is very unlikely to work out the way you imagine - not necessarily badly - just rarely can we plan on where we will be stationed, how training will go, or when we will be deployed.

Good luck with your decision and either way you decide put your best effort into college now to keep the most doors open to you.