Army vs Navy vs Air Force pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NutMegAceTony08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am currently in my P1 year of pharmacy school. I have talked with an Army recruiter and plan to talk to a Navy and Air Force. I am the president-elect of my college SSHP-ASHP and one things i might look into is residency also. I was wondering if anyone has any insights on financially which one has the best incentives. Which one is the easiest-hardest to get into as a pharmacist. Chance of deployment, best locations, length of officer training, minimum requirement, chance of getting wanted location, best one for living throughout the world and not in the US.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,

I am currently in my P1 year of pharmacy school. I have talked with an Army recruiter and plan to talk to a Navy and Air Force. I am the president-elect of my college SSHP-ASHP and one things i might look into is residency also. I was wondering if anyone has any insights on financially which one has the best incentives. Which one is the easiest-hardest to get into as a pharmacist. Chance of deployment, best locations, length of officer training, minimum requirement, chance of getting wanted location, best one for living throughout the world and not in the US.

Service to the government is a changing environment right now. Being a P1, the environment that exists right now may be very different from the one that exists when you graduate.

That being said...

There are several ways to join the service from your position. HPSP scholarship is available as a student, and is offered by each branch. This is competitive to get; I'll let you lookup the specifics. The other common way is to wait until you graduate/license and then join. Instead of receiving a scholarship, you are offered incentives to join. Incentives can vary from year to year (fiscally). I'm only familiar with Army incentives (as this is my chosen route). Incentives include sign-on bonus, loan repayment, and residency. Some can be combined, some cannot.

There are others on this board that can speak to incentives of the other branches.

As for deployment tempo. The Army is nearly 100% likely. You are jointing with the premise in mind that it is a 'when', not 'if'. I know that the air force is deploying as well, but I cannot say how often.

Army training is 8 weeks for intro training, followed by on-the-job training as needed. Most of the training concerns being an officer and how the medical department works. Only a short segment is dedicated to being a pharmacist.

Bases of the Army are a crapshoot. Some are really nice (I'm loving Ft Sam Houston), some are 'less so'.

Finally, you should also add the Public Health Services to your short list. They have most of the same benefits / incentives, with no chance of going to war.

I'll add more later...

Members don't see this ad :)
The military seems to be a popular option these days so if you are sure thats what you want to do you might want to consider going the scholarship route, as it leads to less time in between school and being told to get to training (I'm going AF, I have to wait 6 months from now).

The Army seems to offer the most money in scholarships and loan repayments compared to Navy or AF. Not really sure which one is the easiest to get into anymore b/c of the influx of people trying to get in. Seriously, it seems like recruiters are trying to get people to leave them alone these days haha.

Deployment cycles are probably similar although i've heard AF has shorter cycles compared to other services. You will be stationed in the US for at least the first couple of years because as you go overseas, you will have a lot more responsibility there, so you have to learn everything first.

In terms of the dream sheet of where you want to go, I believe I got my #2 choice.

The chance of a residency in the AF is fairly low I would guess only because there are very few hospitals in the AF, most of the places just have a clinic. I believe the number of hospitals in the AF presently was quoted to be around 7 (conus).

Commissioned Officer Training (COT) in the AF is 5 weeks. This is training on how to be an officer, AF history, etc. Nothing about pharmacy.

Bases in the AF are fairly nice, they usually do tend to be an hour or two from major cities from what I know (big exceptions would include Andrews, etc).
From what a friend of mine in the Navy says, they seem to have the nicest bases.

And as aboveliquidice stated, the Public health service is also a good option to look into.

Service to the government is a changing environment right now. Being a P1, the environment that exists right now may be very different from the one that exists when you graduate.

That being said...

There are several ways to join the service from your position. HPSP scholarship is available as a student, and is offered by each branch. This is competitive to get; I'll let you lookup the specifics. The other common way is to wait until you graduate/license and then join. Instead of receiving a scholarship, you are offered incentives to join. Incentives can vary from year to year (fiscally). I'm only familiar with Army incentives (as this is my chosen route). Incentives include sign-on bonus, loan repayment, and residency. Some can be combined, some cannot.

There are others on this board that can speak to incentives of the other branches.

As for deployment tempo. The Army is nearly 100% likely. You are jointing with the premise in mind that it is a 'when', not 'if'. I know that the air force is deploying as well, but I cannot say how often.

Army training is 8 weeks for intro training, followed by on-the-job training as needed. Most of the training concerns being an officer and how the medical department works. Only a short segment is dedicated to being a pharmacist.

Bases of the Army are a crapshoot. Some are really nice (I'm loving Ft Sam Houston), some are 'less so'.

Finally, you should also add the Public Health Services to your short list. They have most of the same benefits / incentives, with no chance of going to war.

I'll add more later...

Aboveliquidice:
Does the Army do the same HPSP as the Air Force where it is either a one or a two-year program? Is that what you did, or did you wait until graduation to join?
Also, did you take care of all the paperwork and everything with a recruiter in Oregon, or in a different state?
I'm just curious if I get accepted into an out-of-state school, would I be communicating with a recruiter in that state, or could I start in my current state?
Finally, when did you actually get the ball rolling?

Aboveliquidice:
Does the Army do the same HPSP as the Air Force where it is either a one or a two-year program? Is that what you did, or did you wait until graduation to join?
Also, did you take care of all the paperwork and everything with a recruiter in Oregon, or in a different state?
I'm just curious if I get accepted into an out-of-state school, would I be communicating with a recruiter in that state, or could I start in my current state?
Finally, when did you actually get the ball rolling?

The HPSP is the same program for each of the 3 programs. I couldn't tell you anything specific though, as I waited until graduation/licensing to join. I can say that for me, it was more cost efficient to join later than applying for the scholarship.

Being out of state has no bearing on the process. Health profession recruiters (note that these are special recruiters) can be found in most states. In Portland, the closest happen to be in Vancouver, WA (40 miles away).

I began the process in Oregon and finished in Florida. I began seeking information about 2 years out. The application process lasted about 3 months, finishing in December (if I recall). If you are flexible and get your letters of recommendation together quickly, I'm sure you can get it done quicker.

The HPSP is the same program for each of the 3 programs. I couldn't tell you anything specific though, as I waited until graduation/licensing to join. I can say that for me, it was more cost efficient to join later than applying for the scholarship.

Being out of state has no bearing on the process. Health profession recruiters (note that these are special recruiters) can be found in most states. In Portland, the closest happen to be in Vancouver, WA (40 miles away).

I began the process in Oregon and finished in Florida. I began seeking information about 2 years out. The application process lasted about 3 months, finishing in December (if I recall). If you are flexible and get your letters of recommendation together quickly, I'm sure you can get it done quicker.

I know I need an acceptance letter to ge the process started, but I just want to know the earliest after that I could start applying for the scholarships. I've spoken with the health professions (Navy) recruiter here in Phoenix but they weren't too helpful.
One thing he did tell me, however, was that most of the scholarships for the "class of 2014" have been given out - which confused me because I see that as a significant disadvantage for students matriculating into a 3-year program (becasue I would be class of 2014 as well if I go to a 3-year). Maybe this was just Navy though...any idea if they work the same for Army?

I know I need an acceptance letter to ge the process started, but I just want to know the earliest after that I could start applying for the scholarships. I've spoken with the health professions (Navy) recruiter here in Phoenix but they weren't too helpful.
One thing he did tell me, however, was that most of the scholarships for the "class of 2014" have been given out - which confused me because I see that as a significant disadvantage for students matriculating into a 3-year program (becasue I would be class of 2014 as well if I go to a 3-year). Maybe this was just Navy though...any idea if they work the same for Army?

Putting in an officer package (or scholarship) takes a long time. The responsibility to get it done falls ultimately to you. If your recruiter isn't being helpful, you need to be clear and concise concerning what you want to do. Tact is imperative when dealing with anyone in the military.

I would like to clarify that the HPSP may be limited for the Army. Pharmacy isn't listed as one of the professions eligible for it (according to goarmy). I've heard of someone receiving it, but have no first hand knowledge. You really do need to sit down and go over this with a recruiter.

For what it's worth. I started with an AF recruiter. After comparing incentives, and career choices, I ended up choosing Army.

Question - Currently P1 year why do i have to apply for HSPS scholarship this year if i wont get it for P3 and P4 years right? Im applying for the Air force HSPS and applying for it this year is for the Graduating class of 2014. Does anyone know if we can apply for the Navy one at the same time as the Air Force one? Does anyone have a navy health recruiters contat information? I was recently told by and army recruiter that we have to do 4 years of ROTC before we can apply for the HSPS in the army...is this true?

I was recently told by and army recruiter that we have to do 4 years of ROTC before we can apply for the HSPS in the army...is this true?

That is not true. Have you researched the HSPS on your own and looked up a health services recruiter in your area?

Putting in an officer package (or scholarship) takes a long time. The responsibility to get it done falls ultimately to you. If your recruiter isn't being helpful, you need to be clear and concise concerning what you want to do. Tact is imperative when dealing with anyone in the military.

I would like to clarify that the HPSP may be limited for the Army. Pharmacy isn't listed as one of the professions eligible for it (according to goarmy). I've heard of someone receiving it, but have no first hand knowledge. You really do need to sit down and go over this with a recruiter.

For what it's worth. I started with an AF recruiter. After comparing incentives, and career choices, I ended up choosing Army.

Yeah, I didn't think the Army had the HPSP for Pharmacy - I just wanted to see if you knew otherwise.
Well, I would like to get the process started as soon as I can, that's why I'm inquiring when is the earliest. As someone with prior service, I most certainly understand that tact is imperative.
I guess I'll just wait until I find out if I'm accepted anywhere this cycle then sit down with someone again.
Thanks for the info.

Hey guys,

I am applying for an HSPS scholarship and the process includes an interview. Anyone have any experience for information that shouldnt be said, what they are looking for or any tips on questions. Im confident and very active and driven, just seeking advice.

Hey guys,

I am applying for an HSPS scholarship and the process includes an interview. Anyone have any experience for information that shouldnt be said, what they are looking for or any tips on questions. Im confident and very active and driven, just seeking advice.

From what I have seen and heard, the interview is mostly an opportunity for you to ask them questions. For instance, I was asked a question or two about paperwork (did i have this? was this in order?) and then I was asking the interviewer any questions I may have had (which I did, for about an hour..).

A buddy of mine had the same experience. (We're both Air Force).

Bear in mind that it may be different for other branches and other interviewers. If I were you, I would have a list of what you would like to know concerning pharmacy in the particular branch you are looking into as well as think about any questions they may ask you.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck, I hear that HPSP is about the only way of getting into the service right now.

There are many ways to get into the military and many choices for incentives for folks interested in all branches of the military. Don't spread unverified rumors or the rumors of "well my brothers cousin's friend said...."

Last edited:
There are many ways to get into the military and many choices for incentives for folks interested in all branches of the military. Don't spread unverified rumors or the rumors of "well my brothers cousin's friend said...."

My fault, I'll keep that in mind. Dont have any brothers in either case :)

I was referring to what an Air Force healthcare recruiter said; they are not accepting any pharmacists for federal year '11 except through HPSP.

And agreed, there are many ways to get into the military, and many routes to consider, I would not disagree, sorry it came off as such. (I have since edited original)

Last edited:
From what I have seen and heard, the interview is mostly an opportunity for you to ask them questions. For instance, I was asked a question or two about paperwork (did i have this? was this in order?) and then I was asking the interviewer any questions I may have had (which I did, for about an hour..).

A buddy of mine had the same experience. (We're both Air Force).

Bear in mind that it may be different for other branches and other interviewers. If I were you, I would have a list of what you would like to know concerning pharmacy in the particular branch you are looking into as well as think about any questions they may ask you.

Good luck!

Would you ask him/her questions about how he or she became a pharmacist and there adventure in the military on top of any questions about air for pharmacy. Also, what kinds of questions did you ask the the interviewer for air force out of curiousity?

My fault, I'll keep that in mind. Dont have any brothers in either case :)

I was referring to what an Air Force healthcare recruiter said; they are not accepting any pharmacists for federal year '11 except through HPSP.

And agreed, there are many ways to get into the military, and many routes to consider, I would not disagree, sorry it came off as such. (I have since edited original)

Quotas vary by year. It isn't difficult to imagine a military where officers choose to stay rather than get out (especially with this economy).

NutMegAceTony08 - Good luck with your interview...

Would you ask him/her questions about how he or she became a pharmacist and there adventure in the military on top of any questions about air for pharmacy. Also, what kinds of questions did you ask the the interviewer for air force out of curiousity?

I bet they give thier pharmacists enough air, though I could be wrong.

Sure. I know I did. Here are a few questions I asked:
- What made you decide to join the military?
- how would you compare it to civilian life?
- How was being deployed? Conditions? Work environment, what did you do there?
- Did you do a lot of studying/get degrees while in the AF?

You can ask pretty much whatever you would like to know/need to know before you sign up.

TheUnderminer - are you currently a P1 student applying for the HPSP? Did you get your interview with a Colonel over ther phone?

TheUnderminer - are you currently a P1 student applying for the HPSP? Did you get your interview with a Colonel over ther phone?

No, I just havent updated the stuff on the sidebar. I had graduated and applied as a fully qualified pharmacist, while my friend did it through a 1 year HPSP scholarship.

Yes, my interview (as well as my buddy's) was over the phone.

I've recently been accepted to pharmacy school so I'm excited to be able to get my HPSP application rolling. I'm meeting with the Air Force health professions recruiter tomorrow, but he told me over the phone that the Air Force has just recently implemented a 3-year HPSP for pharmacy!! That is UNBELIEVABLE!!
I'm prior Navy, so I don't really know too much about the Air Force at this point...I'd like to know where potential duty stations would be...

I've recently been accepted to pharmacy school so I'm excited to be able to get my HPSP application rolling. I'm meeting with the Air Force health professions recruiter tomorrow, but he told me over the phone that the Air Force has just recently implemented a 3-year HPSP for pharmacy!! That is UNBELIEVABLE!!
I'm prior Navy, so I don't really know too much about the Air Force at this point...I'd like to know where potential duty stations would be...
http://www.tricare.mil/mtf/

use the Air Force search word and this will tell you where all the Air Force clinics are

Has anyone heard anything from their recruiter about how many applicants and spots are available this year? I finished up my app and did my MEPS and did my interview, I think I'm just waiting to hear now. Anyone else in this situation and know what is going on?

Has anyone heard anything from their recruiter about how many applicants and spots are available this year? I finished up my app and did my MEPS and did my interview, I think I'm just waiting to hear now. Anyone else in this situation and know what is going on?

For which program are you referring to?

If it is the Air Force HPSP, the recruiter told me 19 was the latest number. This was for the 3-year scholarships, so I'm not sure about the 1 or 2-years. He told me that those who went up for the last board in October should be hearing back soon and the next board is November 23rd. All my stuff is in but I had some hold-ups in my app and now I have to wait and see if certain waivers will be approved or not. If they're not, I won't be able to move further with this scholarship...which is a major bummer.

The Air Force is EXTREMELY stringent on who they will let in...much more than the Navy was when I enlisted years ago. I'm going to apply to the Navy's HSCP if my waivers don't get approved, but I reeeeealy would prefer the HPSP!!!

Good luck, and I hope you get word soon!

I was referring to the 1 and 2 year scholarships. My recruiter told me there was not a board until today November 9th, and that we should be hearing by the 26th of November, but I had not heard anything about specific numbers so 19 doesn't seem like very many, and probably are gone in the first board meeting I would guess. So perhaps I will be SOL shortly.

I have applied to the 3 year HPSP Air Force pharmacy scholarships. Do they still do 2 and 1 year scholarships? I have no idea when we wil here back. Your recruiter said the 26 of november? Does it usually take that long?

I have applied to the 3 year HPSP Air Force pharmacy scholarships. Do they still do 2 and 1 year scholarships? I have no idea when we wil here back. Your recruiter said the 26 of november? Does it usually take that long?

Yeah I believe so. I guess about a month after the board. Yes , they do 1 and 2-year scholatships as well - so if you aren't selected for the 3-year, you can apply again next fiscal year.

Let us know when you hear back!

I was referring to the 1 and 2 year scholarships. My recruiter told me there was not a board until today November 9th, and that we should be hearing by the 26th of November, but I had not heard anything about specific numbers so 19 doesn't seem like very many, and probably are gone in the first board meeting I would guess. So perhaps I will be SOL shortly.

I know 19 isn't that much...that's why it's so competitive :(.
I will likely be SOL with you, because my waivers probably won't get approved, therefore I probably won't even get the interview!
Blah

I know 19 isn't that much...that's why it's so competitive :(.
I will likely be SOL with you, because my waivers probably won't get approved, therefore I probably won't even get the interview!
Blah

Does that mean 19 total split up by 3,2,1 yr scholarships. Does the board which started yesterday do all 3,2,1 or is the 9th for the 3 yrs then a different board for the 2 years and so on?

Well, when my recruiter did say a number he said 20 last week when I talked to him, but I was applying for the 2 year scholarships. Maybe they just have 20 spots for any calendar year of scholarships. Where are yalls recruiters located maybe we are all talking to the same guy lol.

Well, when my recruiter did say a number he said 20 last week when I talked to him, but I was applying for the 2 year scholarships. Maybe they just have 20 spots for any calendar year of scholarships. Where are yalls recruiters located maybe we are all talking to the same guy lol.

LOL...I'm in AZ...you?

Did your two year air force pharmacy HPSP board start on the 9th too? Has your recruiter told you a time frame?

I was told by my recruiter that the board met on October 4th and the estimated results of the 2 year would be released on Nov 12th. I also was told the number of applicants was 47. I haven't even heard of the 3 year scholarships until this thread.

this whole thing makes me laugh...its like they tell you whatever they want to make sure you get your stuff in on time. But no one really knows what on time is. My guy originally told me the first board would meet in mid october, then he changed it to my stuff had to be in by mid october in order for it to be at the first board. Then he called me on the 2nd of November and told me I needed to go apply for an NPI number, which still makes no sense to me, and now he told me I would hear by the 23rdish. Let me know if you actually hear today. I'm almost positive my "packet" wasnt in by October 4th and if there was 47 applicants at that board alone than anyone who didnt make that board is not going to get a scholarship i think.

I just got word that the board did meet this week and not the 4th as I was originally informed. I guess we will be waiting a few more weeks. I believe we will hear after Thanksgiving. Yes, they did offer 3 year scholarships this year. I wish I would have known because I would have applied a year earlier!

This is the first year they ever offered three year scholarships so you wouldnt have been able to submit an application for one last year. Also the board gets pushed back because it is dependent on the governments budget. Military is part of government and the givernment needs to approve its budget, which is done in october for the following year. So if the budget doesnt get approved the board moves back.

yeah the 3 years would have been nice last year. And by the way, since my guy appears to have been telling me the truth the whole time, he said they would know about the 20th whether or not all the scholarships are already gone. If they are not gone before the second board meeting, then everyone who got their stuff in for the first meeting usually gets the scholarships. If they are all gone before the second meeting, then it is more competitive and some people at the first board might not have got the scholarships. But from what he told me, usually if you are in by the first board you are going to get one, but not always.

My recruiter told me now the estimated release date is Nov. 26th but that is the day after Thanksgiving so he thought we should know something by Monday Nov. 29th. I sure hope to hear some good news. My application was completed back in August and it has been a long wait.

Yeah, the wait is annoying. I basically had my stuff done last november, but all the scholarships were gone so I didnt do the MEPS and interview. So the wait has been quite a while. Just wanting to hear soon so I can quit fretting about it.

Where do you go to school and where is your recruiter based out of? I am in Arkansas and my recruiter is based out of the St. Louis area.

I'm at university of texas in Austin and my recruiter is in San Antonio

Yeah, the wait is annoying. I basically had my stuff done last november, but all the scholarships were gone so I didnt do the MEPS and interview. So the wait has been quite a while. Just wanting to hear soon so I can quit fretting about it.

So even though there's usually a January board, all the scholarships will probably be gone after these first two boards, huh?

I guess it just depends year to year. Last year my recruiter (different one than this year) told me they were all gone when I was talking to him in December. I don't know if that was entirely true or not, because I just have to take it as true ya know. I would say just keep doing everything you can to get it done, it wont hurt to have everything done for next year and just get a 2 year if thats what you have to do?