Army Army won't pay for step 3? Why not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I called the HPSP office and they said that they will not pay for step 3 AND that our residency program will not pay for it... why is that? Isn't it a required test on your way to becoming a physician? I would expect that to be a covered expense. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

I am not 100% on this but the HPSP office is likely balking as their requirements for funding you end at medical school. Step 3 is not required for medical school graduation.

Step 3 was funded by some other pot of money at BUMED for Navy when I did it. You will soon learn that the "pots of money" in the military shall never cross streams

It is odd that the military does not cover USMLE III because they reimburse for board certification.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is a little odd. I'm wondering if they don't reimburse because it can be part of one's initial licensure. I know not all states do it like this, but I had to register for step III by going through the state in which I was first licensed. They don't pay for licensure, so is it possible they're just lumping step III in with that in an attempt to save money?

The military does not pay for things related to licensure. This is why Step 3 is not covered. Steps 1 and 2 are covered because your school required them for graduation. If your school did not require them for advancement or graduation, HPSP would not pay.

The military does not pay for things related to licensure. This is why Step 3 is not covered. Steps 1 and 2 are covered because your school required them for graduation. If your school did not require them for advancement or graduation, HPSP would not pay.

Am I really that old to have forgotten that I paid for Step 3? Oh man...

Reactions: 1 user
I would definitely check with your GME office at whatever station you do residency (as most people take step 3 during their intern year). They certainly used to pay for it, but as mentioned already the Army is weaseling our of many of it's prior committments due to funding issues. I know that up until very recently they were still paying for board examination fees, but I haven't checked on the status of that in a while.

Almost forgot to answer the second question: because the Army puts zero priority on medical education.

MEDCOM's policy is not to pay for license fees or board fees. I guess now step 3 falls under this umbrella (along with CME I guess)
Army reimburses for board certification. They reimbursed me for my primary as well as sub specialty board certification. Only thing I had to pay out of pocket was for USMLE III and state license. It doesn't quite make sense because once a physician has internship and a license they are of utility to the Army as in they can be sent out as a GMO.

I could be confabulating that memory though, I guess.

Make sure you hang the banana bag before you hang the dextrose.

Reactions: 1 user