Arrested not convicted charges dropped

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usmleaspirant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone ..
I was arrested for retail theft , I was a misunderstanding. I went to answer my phone cause I had bad reception , had a few things in my hands , just walked out of the store and stood outside to take the call. Store personnel came , and eventually called the cops . I explained I never intended to leave with the things only went to answer the call however they didn't listen. I admit it was my absent mindedness that I walked out and didn't think about it .
Anyway was finger printed and taken to court , the charges were dismissed, no probation , no fine , no deferred prosecution nothing. The judge believed me, said it was badluck , told me they won't prosecute , and to be careful. The charges were dropped however the arrest is on my record.
How can this affect me in getting a residency and subsequently getting a license?
I'm going out of my mind here ..
Any input would be appreciated .
Please refrain from negative comments, I'm already ****ting a brick ..
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

If the school asks for arrests, which most do, you have to report it and explain what went down.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just freaking out I need as much input as I can get to calm down :/

I'm just freaking out I need as much input as I can get to calm down :/
it's your third friggin' thread about this exact thing.....the input I'm offering is stop posting new threads about it

Reactions: 4 users
Why are you telling us? We don't care. Tell it to your residency program

lol damn SDN your feisty today. You'll just have to explain when it comes up. It wasn't a violent crime or anything so it could have been worse.

So they said we're calling the police and you just stood there and waited for the cops? ppffftttttttt did you have two broken legs or some ****? hahahahahaha

Reactions: 2 users
What they would have transferred your case to the "things were almost stolen" department? Do you live in a city with no crime where the police have time to investigate near crimes? I can't get over how hilarious this is.

What they would have transferred your case to the "things were almost stolen" department? Do you live in a city with no crime where the police have time to investigate near crimes? I can't get over how hilarious this is.
I'm glad you find this funny. It's anything but funny for me. But it's nice knowing that behind the comfort of a screen and an anonymous name people just say what they want. And no I didn't run because that would have been the dumb thing to do. And I'm sorry I've posted this more than once, you'd have to walk my shoes to know what I'm going through , invested my whole life into this . And I posted here to get guidance and help cause this forum supposedly does that . And those who don't care , why care enough to even respond. And to those who have commented positively , thank you :)

I'm glad you find this funny. It's anything but funny for me. But it's nice knowing that behind the comfort of a screen and an anonymous name people just say what they want. And no I didn't run because that would have been the dumb thing to do. And I'm sorry I've posted this more than once, you'd have to walk my shoes to know what I'm going through , invested my whole life into this . And I posted here to get guidance and help cause this forum supposedly does that . And those who don't care , why care enough to even respond. And to those who have commented positively , thank you :)

You're right I would only do this from behind the safety of a screen but that's only because I'm afraid of you, felon.

Reactions: 4 users
Contact an attorney, or the prosecuting attorney of your case. Most mistakes can be removed from your record, including an arrest record. It sounds frustrating, but I'd contact the person who represented you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Contact an attorney, or the prosecuting attorney of your case. Most mistakes can be removed from your record, including an arrest record. It sounds frustrating, but I'd contact the person who represented you.
Thank you . I will

I'd talk to an annorney. However, once you're fingerprinted that goes to BCI and it will never come off a background check. You'll have to provide documentation to your residency. How did this not come up when applying to med school? Another resource is to ask your school what they would do.

I'd talk to an annorney. However, once you're fingerprinted that goes to BCI and it will never come off a background check. You'll have to provide documentation to your residency. How did this not come up when applying to med school? Another resource is to ask your school what they would do.
I'm pretty sure if he wasn't charged he can get it sealed/expunged. In which case, it wouldn't show up on the BCI.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm pretty sure if he wasn't charged he can get it sealed/expunged. In which case, it wouldn't show up on the BCI.
BCI is managed from FBI databases, they don't remove records. A simple google search can yield you the answer.

I don't have time or inclination to read all the bull**** above, but I was arrested during my freshman year of college -- truly a case of wrong place wrong time and the police arresting everyone who was there irrespective of guilt or innocence.

I met with the prosecutor and told my story, we shook hands and he made things right. I have no arrest record. It can be done.

Hello everyone ..
I was arrested for retail theft , I was a misunderstanding. I went to answer my phone cause I had bad reception , had a few things in my hands , just walked out of the store and stood outside to take the call. Store personnel came , and eventually called the cops . I explained I never intended to leave with the things only went to answer the call however they didn't listen. I admit it was my absent mindedness that I walked out and didn't think about it .
Anyway was finger printed and taken to court , the charges were dismissed, no probation , no fine , no deferred prosecution nothing. The judge believed me, said it was badluck , told me they won't prosecute , and to be careful. The charges were dropped however the arrest is on my record.
How can this affect me in getting a residency and subsequently getting a license?
Thank you
you're in trouble!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

So they said we're calling the police and you just stood there and waited for the cops? ppffftttttttt did you have two broken legs or some ****? hahahahahaha

OP can you address this cause he has a good point lol

Hello everyone ..
Thank you
Sorry everyone is being a di** to you. I feel for you and would be despondent as well. I'd seek some sort of letter from the prosecutor or judge declining to press charges, given all the facts. If that isn't enough, the world is going to hell. Slightly off topic, but cases like this are why I think it's awful when the tv news plasters peoples' faces across the screen when they're arrested, but never follows up when those same people are found to be not guilty. And of all the things that you could've possibly been caught doing, this is the best worst option. (i.e. you weren't harming people, nothing with drugs, not reckless...hell, even reckless driving is, to me, a worse offense). Best of luck to you!

Nothing more exciting than hearing the police go to the place you just were as you're crumpled in the back seats of your best friend's ride :laugh:

You're right I would only do this from behind the safety of a screen but that's only because I'm afraid of you, felon.
This is the best thing I've ever seen

"Virtually every state has enacted laws that allow people to expunge arrests and convictions from their records. Though the details can vary from one state to the next, most states' laws provide that once an arrestor conviction has been expunged, it need not be disclosed, including to potential employers or landlords."

According to google, take this as you will.

*Especially if you were found innocent/case-dropped I'd think, although I'm not an attorney.*

Your anxiety is severe enough, and your desire to find solutions to this problem in a venue like this, suggests you are either a troll, or probably unsuited to a medical profession. Heed the advice given, just be honest if the arrest occurred as you say.