Article about Life Coaches

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, as to the life coach thing, this is why licensing and regulations are important, public safety. There is no agency regulating them. It's feasible that you have a repeat sex offender working as a "life coach" with sexually assaulted individuals. An extreme example, yes, but there is nothing to stop it. There is no mandated training, testing, etc. In my slightly libertarian leanings, I think people should be able to "life coach" to their heart's content. But, as soon as they call themselves therapists, or purport to be doing some type of therapy, they deserve to have the hammer dropped on them.

As for "conversion" therapy, there is nothing there. The data that we do have strongly suggests it's harmful. Any licensed professional conducting it needs to have their license stripped. They are clearly violating ethical guidelines and aspirations.

The comment section is uhm…exactly what you'd expect. I am forever dumber for having skimmed it.

I haven't read it, but I'm guessing it's filled with a mix of: "a life coach saved me when no one else could," "psychology isn't a real science anyway," and "psychiatrists/psychologists are all evil quacks who are in big pharma's pocket"...?

I haven't read it, but I'm guessing it's filled with a mix of: "a life coach saved me when no one else could," "psychology isn't a real science anyway," and "psychiatrists/psychologists are all evil quacks who are in big pharma's pocket"...?
With some "gay people are going to hell" mixed in. Fortunately, no support of life coaches other than to lump them in with "all therapy is baloney"