Article from pharmacy times

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel like many people realize this now with all the news over any forum. Though I am currently waiting for my interview invites for Fall 2014, I am still going to go for pharmacy. I'm not going for the money, I'm going for the passion. Those who are passionate and work hard I believe will be able to find a job. I realize I may have to move, but that's ok - I love the field.

I feel like many people realize this now with all the news over any forum. Though I am currently waiting for my interview invites for Fall 2014, I am still going to go for pharmacy. I'm not going for the money, I'm going for the passion. Those who are passionate and work hard I believe will be able to find a job. I realize I may have to move, but that's ok - I love the field.

Would be tough to imagine graduating and having no job prospects at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whenever I see people getting panic about job market of pharmacy, i want to tell them to go to school of meds or soft engineering..
(or even military :p )

Would be tough to imagine graduating and having no job prospects at all.
I can understand practicing pharmacist who feel this way, but I dont understand current pharmacy students who also have the same worries. If you feel this way, then why pursue it? Why not just quit and find this magic job that will have great job outlook, for years to come and lucrative salary?

I can understand practicing pharmacist who feel this way, but I dont understand current pharmacy students who also have the same worries. If you feel this way, then why pursue it? Why not just quit and find this magic job that will have great job outlook, for years to come and lucrative salary?

There are just some vocal minorities on here (can count them <5 , or <10 individuals frequently bringing it up) ... I have very limited experience in the workplace environment I am trying to land in, and I have decided not to even apply online or attend job fairs due to having more than enough offers in the works already through word of mouth interviews.

It is completely individual and location dependent. Yes you really cannot sit out in a single spot and apply using online apps with <200 mile radius, basically anonymously when nobody knows you. Obviously this wont work.. well guess what, it wont work for basically any profession except minimum wage jobs. I have held probably close to 8 jobs in the nearly 15 years I have been working and none of them were from a blind app, mailing, or online resume submission. At this level you can't expect anything, except by showing your passion and work ethic and impressing people.

But at the same time.. be prepared to have an uphill battle. I would expect at least 15-20% unemployment going forward into the next 5 years but that is going to be the bottom 15-20% .. I went to a well ranked school and I can say ... the worst students at my school were not impressive at all, and you could smell it from a mile away that they were just into it for easy money or to slack off.