PhD/PsyD Article on AA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's listed in their own materials that a significant percentage of their "members" were introduced to AA through the courts, when you break the numbers down, it's about 165k annually. Along with countless court cases questioning the legality of the practice would lead me to believe that this is no isolated issue. I'm fine with sticking to the numbers and data as long as we look at it from both sides.
I fully agree that there shouldn't be court mandates for attendance. I'd much prefer that a list of evidence-based treatments be given out and mandated, if mandating is appropriate.

ETA: Here is a nice general resource from NIDA about evidence-based treatment planning for criminal justice populations.
https://www.drugabuse.gov/sites/default/files/txcriminaljustice_0.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

Is there evidence that we shouldn't ask offenders to attend self-help groups?

The problem is that we're not asking them, we're telling them. If I'm going to mandate something, I'd rather it have solid empirical support and not violate constitutional rights.

Reactions: 1 users
I fully agree that there shouldn't be court mandates for attendance. I'd much prefer that a list of evidence-based treatments be given out and mandated, if mandating is appropriate.

ETA: Here is a nice general resource from NIDA about evidence-based treatment planning for criminal justice populations.
https://www.drugabuse.gov/sites/default/files/txcriminaljustice_0.pdf

I'm not sure the courts should be sending anyone to 12 step meetings. Besides the fact that our country is founded on separation of church and state, and besides the fact that AA is not an evidence-based treatment, I think it is just not wise to force offenders into a milieu comprised heavily of the psychiatric population (especially but not only newly-sober alcoholics).

Has anyone seen this movie?
www.the13thstepfilm.com

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure the courts should be sending anyone to 12 step meetings. Besides the fact that our country is founded on separation of church and state, and besides the fact that AA is not an evidence-based treatment, I think it is just not wise to force offenders into a milieu comprised heavily of the psychiatric population (especially but not only newly-sober alcoholics).

Has anyone seen this movie?
www.the13thstepfilm.com
I want to add that I am not anti-AA. I just think the country needs to view what it is more accurately.

This is the difficulty with any mandated treatment. Does forcing compliance ensure good outcomes? Given that AA is hard to track outcomes to start with, it would be difficult to compare at a base rate. It may be that doing so is equally effective, but what that efficacy is defined as is part of the problem. Without good understanding out outcomes, it confuses me why we would want to use it at all. I have no problem with forced compliance in public policy issues (e.g., education), but it should be effective. If it isn't (and until we know if it is), I view it as harmful since it consumes resources, detracts from potential/probable gain with other treatments, and can very easily increase resistance to future intervention.

This brings me back to the whole 'is psychology science' argument. At times there is a discounting of the field because we aren't a science, then when the field emphasizes a lack of evidence for something that can be ignored because its popular (i.e., AA). Thats a sidebar.. but still. It frustrates me.

I'm not sure that there is a strong argument for this violating religious freedom.

I want to add that I am not anti-AA. I just think the country needs to view what it is more accurately.

We agree about not mandating AA attendance. That's great. For the record, there are non-religious AA groups, and also a wide variety of alternative support group options that have emerged (often in response to criticisms of AA). No they aren't as widespread but you can find them out there - Women for Sobriety, SOS (secular), etc. So support groups go beyond just AA here.

Moreover, AA is not an EBT, but there are a ton of correlational studies that consistently find that participating is associated with positive outcomes. Heck, TSF is even listed in NREPP (http://legacy.nreppadmin.net/ViewIntervention.aspx?id=358).

When I think of AA, I think of it like I would think of any other support group. Some people would benefit from it and some would not. Just like someone may or may not benefit from other resources out there (Smart Recovery, SOS, etc). There is no one-size-fits-all group of resources out there - that much we know. But I am surprised at how enthusiastically some folks here jump on the anti-AA bandwagon, knowing that it can be a positive resource for some people who have abstinence as their goal. Vaillant had an interesting take on AA in this article from 2005, tackling the "cult vs. cure" issue (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15943643).

Have you read the Big Book?
Yup, although it has been several years now. I've also read the back of US currency. The phrase "separation of church and state" came from opinion pieces by Franklin and others at the intended purpose of the establishment clause. If that, a number of other things in the US, don't violate establishment, I'm not sure that a treatment that uses the phrase "god as you understand him" and openly welcomes others of different religions without attempts to convert them would be found to do so. This ambiguity particularly pronounced when AA openly declare no specific religious affiliation despite its clear historic originals.

In short, I'm not disagreeing with you philosophically, only that pragmatically making the argument that this is an issue violating a religious right would be more difficult than it might at first seem..

In short, I'm not disagreeing with you philosophically, only that pragmatically making the argument that this is an issue violating a religious right would be more difficult than it might at first seem..

Well, we may have to disagree on that one. I'm on the side of legal cases who have won when no secular options have been presented in conjunction with religious based 12-step groups.

Reactions: 1 user
AA itself is divided regarding court-mandated treatment and whether or not to allow "court-cards" to attend meetings. I also question the separation of church and state and the courts mandating attendance at any type of religious organization.

On the other hand, to go back to the numbers provided, if 176k people are considering themselves members after being sent by courts, how much benefit to those individuals and society is being derived? I know many people who have been court mandated to attend AA who owe that to saving their lives. Sure it is anecdotal, but is there evidence to show the converse?

Also, often times the attendance to AA is part of the agreement that part of the diversion agreement and the individual completely agrees with it. Many of those people already identify themselves as members who are struggling. In almost all cases, it is voluntary at least in the legal sense. Still coerced in the way we think about it.

On the other hand, to go back to the numbers provided, if 176k people are considering themselves members after being sent by courts, how much benefit to those individuals and society is being derived? I know many people who have been court mandated to attend AA who owe that to saving their lives. Sure it is anecdotal, but is there evidence to show the converse?

Hard to get any reliable data on that when a part of whether or not you go back to prison may depend on you attending and reporting good outcomes from your group. Coerced data is not good data.

Well, we may have to disagree on that one. I'm on the side of legal cases who have won when no secular options have been presented in conjunction with religious based 12-step groups.
I prefer those rulings, but I suspect it may be harder to land a win across the board on that. I'm a cynic; its one of my better qualities.

Either way, AA is a crap treatment referral for any number of reasons.

Members don't see this ad :)
To be fair, it isn't a treatment...so if people utilize it as a treatment, the chances of syccess are very very low.
Exactly.

I find this statement offensive for any number of reasons.
I'm not sure why AA is immune to statements about its quality. An absence of evidence on efficacy does make it a poor intervention that isn't a good choice. If we don't know how a treatment works, if it works, or who it works for... then what would you call that? I don't object to the ideas or whatever else, but from an empiricist standpoint.. lacking those things does make it a crap treatment referral in my eyes.

It's ok to be offended sometimes. Every place can't be a safe place. And, I agree with Justanothergrad, there are no sacred cows in science. You can't deride EMDR for it's methodological issues and then turn around and claim that something with even less support is above the same criticism. We're a science, everything is fair game.

Conceptualizing a self-help group the same as a professional treatment is inaccurate.
Calling it a referral is therefore ridiculous.
Referring to it as a "crap referral" is demeaning to the people who find it useful as it implies that the program of AA is crap. I am assuming that is not what you intended, but that is how I took it. Also, if I encourage a patient to attend meetings is that a crap referral? I have patients who attend a wide variety of self-help and religious groups and attribute them as being beneficial to them in various ways. Maybe I should tell them to stop because it has not been demonstrated to be an effective treatment.
Professional treatment people have been overly influenced by AA philosophy and the lines have been blurred by those individuals and organizations. That is a problem with them, not necessarily with AA. Psychologists who continue to conceptualize AA based on other professionals misconstrual of it is a problem. Do you think of CODA as a treatment, or Al-Anon, the LDS 12 step support group, the Celebrate Recovery groups in the popular Saddleback Church?

It's ok to be offended sometimes. Every place can't be a safe place. And, I agree with Justanothergrad, there are no sacred cows in science. You can't deride EMDR for it's methodological issues and then turn around and claim that something with even less support is above the same criticism. We're a science, everything is fair game.
Hey, we agree! The only thing here is that one is a treatment and one is not. Appreciating the nuances of that, regardless of how other treatment providers may have screwed with the model, is something I would expect all psychologists to be capable of.

Hey, we agree! The only thing here is that one is a treatment and one is not. Appreciating the nuances of that, regardless of how other treatment providers may have screwed with the model, is something I would expect all psychologists to be capable of.

Oh, I fully acknowledge that it is not a treatment in a technical sense. That has never been my argument. However, it's perception and implementation, are as a treatment in many settings. So, in any practical, real-world sense, it is a treatment.

I'm fine with being offended :D, but I also think that as psychologists we should have a heightened awareness of the effects of language regarding marginalized groups such as people with addiction problems.

Conceptualizing a self-help group the same as a professional treatment is inaccurate.
Referring to it as a "crap referral" is demeaning to the people who find it useful as it implies that the program of AA is crap. I am assuming that is not what you intended, but that is how I took it. Also, if I encourage a patient to attend meetings is that a crap referral? I have patients who attend a wide variety of self-help and religious groups and attribute them as being beneficial to them in various ways. Maybe I should tell them to stop because it has not been demonstrated to be an effective treatment.
Professional treatment people have been overly influenced by AA philosophy and the lines have been blurred by those individuals and organizations. That is a problem with them, not necessarily with AA. Psychologists who continue to conceptualize AA based on other professionals misconstrual of it is a problem. Do you think of CODA as a treatment, or Al-Anon, the LDS 12 step support group, the Celebrate Recovery groups in the popular Saddleback Church?
For what its worth, this is generally my "referral":

"Some people find AA to be helpful. Some don't. If you decide to try out a meeting, here are some things you can expect...XXX...there are also some alternatives that are out there for people. Let's see what is available in your area if a support group is something you are interested in. Regarding treatment, there are a few different models that seem to work well for people. But, there isn't any one-size-fits all form of treatment, and not everyone even uses treatment. Based on what you've told me, I recommend X, but some of your other options are Y and Z."

Reactions: 2 users
I'm fine with being offended :D, but I also think that as psychologists we should have a heightened awareness of the effects of language regarding marginalized groups such as people with addiction problems.

You can criticize the treatment/self-help group while supporting people suffering from addiction. That's like saying that opposing war means that you hate Veterans. It's a ridiculous assertion.

Until such a time as we know who it works for, when it works, and what components of it do work, I consider the program to not be well developed enough to spend a lot of time on vis-a-vis consideration as potentially useful. My focus is on the prevention of harm when it comes to service delivery (defined as broadly as you can go). If we, as a field, want to promote treatment of mental health issues, then lets do that. But that means we need to promote good, empirically based ones and not sit on the sidelines encouraging its using only to say "this works for some people because some people say it does so we should encourage its use". I've heard the same disclaimer quoted above, but I'm not sure why thats acceptable for a science to promote.

I agree that from a psych perspective of how we define a treatment, it is not the type of intervention you would get in a professional setting. However, within the context of mandated referral by courts- it is being treated as a "treatment". Within the views of the laypublic, it is a treatment. The real world issue of how "treatment" is perceived is what matters here. If we support it as a "treatment" that is worthy of consideration, then the technicalities between what we deem as a professional intervention and what we deem as a 'self-help treatment' matters less and less. One might even argue, are self-help not allowed to be empirical in basis? I'm a big fan of Bourne's book on anxiety. It's clearly a self-help book but is strongly based in empirical treatments. Can this not be true of other 'self-helps'?

I don't find wanting strong treatments with good efficacy to be insulting to folks with SA issues.

Oh, I fully acknowledge that it is not a treatment in a technical sense. That has never been my argument. However, it's perception and implementation, are as a treatment in many settings. So, in any practical, real-world sense, it is a treatment.
If you are referring to the Minnesota model, then that is a treatment. You keep conflating things and referencing a general misperception (which I don't think is as ubiquitous as you think), but really our job should be to correct these misperceptions.

AA would be considered a treatment condition in any controlled study of SA (as would any support groups as they are not 'treatment as normal'). Its efficacy (and implementation) in professional practice seems a secondary issue to that.

Until such a time as we know who it works for, when it works, and what components of it do work, I consider the program to not be well developed enough to spend a lot of time on vis-a-vis consideration as potentially useful. My focus is on the prevention of harm when it comes to service delivery (defined as broadly as you can go).
I think that we have a similar attitude - I'm all for EBTs and good implementation and avoiding iatrogenic effects. However, I do have a practical question - what treatments have all of these things that you have referenced?

I think the quality of the evidence available to date for these types of treatments has been oversold a bit - we don't really have enough studies yet to accomplish all of those things you have referenced as important to know for what are considered the EBTs in this field. So what do you make of those treatments if we don't have all of this evidence?

You can criticize the treatment/self-help group while supporting people suffering from addiction. That's like saying that opposing war means that you hate Veterans. It's a ridiculous assertion.
I felt that the line "it's a crap referral" was a bit sloppy and could be construed as demeaning to the members of AA. Also, what exactly is the critique of 12-step or other self-help type groups other than we don't have research to compare them to structured, professional treatment models?

I felt that the line "it's a crap referral" was a bit sloppy and could be construed as demeaning to the members of AA. Also, what exactly is the critique of 12-step or other self-help type groups other than we don't have research to compare them to structured, professional treatment models?

Exactly that, there is no good data. And the data available is equivocal at best. And there can be an argument made that it detracts from investment in empirically supported interventions.

If you are referring to the Minnesota model, then that is a treatment. You keep conflating things and referencing a general misperception (which I don't think is as ubiquitous as you think), but really our job should be to correct these misperceptions.

It's been fairly ubiquitous in the 4 states and 3 geographical regions that I have worked in. That and what I see referenced in the literature and at various "treatment centers" is enough for me to generalize that the misperception is quite widely held.

I think that we have a similar attitude - I'm all for EBTs and good implementation and avoiding iatrogenic effects. However, I do have a practical question - what treatments have all of these things that you have referenced?

I think the quality of the evidence available to date for these types of treatments has been oversold a bit - we don't really have enough studies yet to accomplish all of those things you have referenced as important to know for what are considered the EBTs in this field. So what do you make of those treatments if we don't have all of this evidence?
I agree wholeheartedly that the state of EST science is subpar. However, there are large differences that are hard to ignore between the state of research on things like CBT and other treatments, such as alcoholics anonymous. It is not a matter of zero sum. We know far more about efficacy on many treatments than we do for AA. I would say, as always, more research is needed. Until there is a base of literature showing some level of efficacy I question the use of that treatment however.

Has there been a single RCT AA? I'm unaware of a single onea

Exactly that, there is no good data. And the data available is equivocal at best. And there can be an argument made that it detracts from investment in empirically supported interventions.
It's been fairly ubiquitous in the 4 states and 3 geographical regions that I have worked in. That and what I see referenced in the literature and at various "treatment centers" is enough for me to generalize that the misperception is quite widely held.
It seems to me that the you have one standard of evidence for critiques and another standard of evidence for support.

Your point remains unclear. What do they do in these regions that you object to? Does everyone say that AA is treatment? Because I don't hear that.

SAMSHA, NIDA, NIAAA, etc all make the recovery-oriented systems of care model pretty clear. Professionals are taught that AA is not treatment - treatment is an acute intervention followed-up by a variety of different potential resources, one of which might be AA. Sure, I see a movie sometimes where they reference treatment and maybe there is an AA meeting in the movie. But more often, the ubiquitous stuff I see in popular culture has nothing to do with AA - shows like celebrity rehab, or Intervention that suggests that Johnson-model interventions are actually effective (despite evidence to the contrary) are really what I see as barriers to people seeking any help if they want. I've got a lot more outrage about those things (portrayals of treatment engagement techniques or actual treatments that may be ineffective).

As far as I can tell, you seem to lump a lot of the bad treatment practices out there into an "AA" category when in fact there is a lot more nuance within the field. A lot of the bad practices (using techniques shown to be ineffective) just happen in treatment programs and have absolutely nothing to do with AA.

I agree wholeheartedly that the state of EST science is subpar. However, there are large differences that are hard to ignore between the state of research on things like CBT and other treatments, such as alcoholics anonymous. It is not a matter of zero sum. We know far more about efficacy on many treatments than we do for AA. I would say, as always, more research is needed. Until there is a base of literature showing some level of efficacy I question the use of that treatment however.

No RCTs on AA because a) it is not a treatment and b) the nature of the group wouldn't lend itself to support it. There are meta-analyses (I think another big one is coming out soon too) that lend support to AA being beneficial.

I have seen RCT's on TSF, which is a formal type of treatment (actually has decent quality of evidence grade in NREPP) related to AA (not AA itself). If you read this thread, I am the only one who has actually been posting actual data, or resources that summarize the state of the evidence. I get the sense though that folks would rather just stick with their opinions rather than actually look at those.

And that resource use (time, money, etc) is problematic even if it would not translate to other treatments. Populations that are underserved don't have this to waste on an unsupported treatment we are supporting, in my eyes.

I agree wholeheartedly that the state of EST science is subpar. However, there are large differences that are on ignore but between the state of research on things like CBT and other treatments, such as alcoholics anonymous. It is not a matter of zero sum. We know far more about efficacy on many treatments than we do for AAA. I would say, as always, more research is needed. Until there is a base of literature showing some level of efficacy I question any use of a treatment however.

:bang:
AA (and other 12 step groups) is a spiritual organization designed by alcoholics to support each other in recovery. Although these are different from religions in a lot of ways, it is probably closer in concept and design to religious organizations than it is to professional treatment. It would be almost as ridiculous to ask if there are any RCTs to show that religion is effective.
And that resource use (time, money, etc) is problematic even if it would not translate to other treatments. Populations that are underserved don't have this to waste on an unsupported treatment we are supporting, in my eyes.
Call it a treatment one more time...
59530030.jpg

Your point remains unclear. What do they do in these regions that you object to? Does everyone say that AA is treatment? Because I don't hear that.

Basically what JustAnother said. But, I object to the refusal to examine its own efficacy in any meaningful way, and the resources invested in it, likely to the detriment of other approaches. Well,m in addition to it's involuntary mandate in some jurisdictions, that is quite objectionable. I don't care if people want to engage in it if it's their cup of tea, I just won't refer to it because I have much better options open to me that I can see outcome data on, and I'd rather see research time and funding directed elsewhere.

Some of the better studies on AA have come from John Kelly's group at Harvard. Here's a couple of them:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3558837/pdf/nihms385630.pdf
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/08897077.2011.634965?journalCode=wsub20

One of my own critiques of this literature (EBTs, self-help, etc) is a lack of studies looking at mechanisms for how these treatments or resources might work and which mechanisms work well for which people. As stated much earlier in the thread, the population is so heterogeneous and our best information about what works from a treatment and post-treatment standpoint is some combination of resources that work for a person who is appropriately motivated to make some form of behavior change (whether that be reduced use or abstinence). Relative to other non-treatment resources, AA has much more actual support for it being at least associated with positive outcomes. Because of the fact that it is controversial, I would agree with Wisneuro that flat out suggesting that someone do it without a) explaining alternatives and b) indicating that many people get better without it would be an irresponsible practice. On the other side of the same coin, denying the fact that it can be a beneficial resource for some people reflects professional ignorance.

Last edited:
*edit*…it looks like I took too long to write my response…many response since. :laugh:

Referring to it as a "crap referral" is demeaning to the people who find it useful as it implies that the program of AA is crap.

Again…the devil is in the details. If someone referred a patient to AA for treatment, it would indeed be a crap referral. If someone recommended a patient look into AA for social support in addition to individual/group/IOP, then I think it would be a good recommendation (assuming the patient is a fit for the approach AA offers in regard to support).

I have patients who attend a wide variety of self-help and religious groups and attribute them as being beneficial to them in various ways. Maybe I should tell them to stop because it has not been demonstrated to be an effective treatment.

This is a great comparison. For patients I see that are very religious, I often recommend they turn to their congregation for additional support and/or go back to their bible study (if that was a prior source of support and socialization for them), etc. I treat it the same as other social outlets, though it seems to get its own category because of how our culture views religion. I view AA as similar; it offers a group of people who hold similar beliefs that gather for mutual support. I had one lady (polytrauma, chronic pain, & TBI) who had a super supportive bowling team & league, but she stopped seeing them for 1.5+ years because of the medical and mood changes. It's amazing what re-connecting with trusted friends, increased activity, and having purposeful events can do for someone with chronic pain and mood changes. AA can be that for some people, but it isn't treatment…it's social support. I also don't mean to insult religion and equate it in its entirety to bowling, but in the context of social support I think it is an apt comparison.

Professional treatment people have been overly influenced by AA philosophy and the lines have been blurred by those individuals and organizations. That is a problem with them, not necessarily with AA.

Our legal system has also been overly influenced by AA. I blame "the squeaky wheel" and a lack of scientific rigor for AA's presence in court rooms and legal cases. It has no place in there as treatment. I make a point to not include it in my referrals area of my reports. If mentioned, I group it in with social support options and specify that psychotherapy and medication management are the recommended treatments, but additional social support (e.g. church, friends, AA, etc) can also be helpful.

Last edited:
:bang:
AA (and other 12 step groups) is a spiritual organization designed by alcoholics to support each other in recovery. Although these are different from religions in a lot of ways, it is probably closer in concept and design to religious organizations than it is to professional treatment. It would be almost as ridiculous to ask if there are any RCTs to show that religion is effective.

Call it a treatment one more time...
59530030.jpg
Treatment.

OK. Now that's out of the way lol, I would argue that anything that is legitimized as an helpful intervention is a treatment of sorts. The second we, as a field, promote something it builds a sense of legitimacy in the public, which is what matters to the definition of treatment. As I said, if we would consider it a separate treatment condition in an RCT, I argue it is a type of intervention. If you want to argue treatment and intervention mean different things, go for it but I don't see how or why such a distinct matters in any practical sense.

I don't find it absurd to ask for interventions to have support. I don't care their basis. Given the strong social element of those programs, one would hope for effects. Why do you pardon this treatment/intervention/whatever word you want to call it? If courts are pushing treatment (and to the court, that is what this is).. Why not push for efficacious ones?

For what its worth, this is generally my "referral":

"Some people find AA to be helpful. Some don't. If you decide to try out a meeting, here are some things you can expect...XXX...there are also some alternatives that are out there for people. Let's see what is available in your area if a support group is something you are interested in. Regarding treatment, there are a few different models that seem to work well for people. But, there isn't any one-size-fits all form of treatment, and not everyone even uses treatment. Based on what you've told me, I recommend X, but some of your other options are Y and Z."

I offer a very similar description, as even within AA there can be wide differences in group dynamics and how much G-d is included in each meeting. As an agnostic atheist, I am sensitive to pushing (whether it be actively or passively) anything involving religion on patients. I know..I know…AA isn't bible study, but aspects of the program and religion can often co-mingle in many individual groups. I like to mention other non-AA options like SMART recovery, so patients understand that there are other social support options specific to substance abuse available to them.

Some of the better studies on AA have come from John Kelly's group at Harvard. Here's a couple of them:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3558837/pdf/nihms385630.pdf
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/08897077.2011.634965?journalCode=wsub20

One of my own critiques of this literature (EBTs, self-help, etc) is a lack of studies looking at mechanisms for how these treatments or resources might work and which mechanisms work well for which people. As stated much earlier in the thread, the population is so heterogeneous and our best information about what works from a treatment and post-treatment standpoint is some combination of resources that work for a person who is appropriately motivated to make some form of behavior change (whether that be reduced use or abstinence). Relative to other non-treatment resources, AA has much more actual support for it being at least associated with positive outcomes. Because of the fact that it is controversial, I would agree with Wisneuro that flat out suggesting that someone do it without a) explaining alternatives and b) indicating that many people get better without it would be an irresponsible practice. On the other side of the same coin, denying the fact that it can be a beneficial resource for some people reflects professional ignorance.
Thanks. I was about to reply to your other post. SA isn't my area and my reading has always emphasized a lack of outcome studies. I'll take a peruse.

I agree that it can be a potential resource. I don't think it should be a first line one, which is why I disagree with it as a court mandated option. I think we should urge courts to emphasize other, stronger options if they are going to require it anyway.

Thanks. I was about to reply to your other post. SA isn't my area and my reading has always emphasized a lack of outcome studies. I'll take a peruse.

I agree that it can be a potential resource. I don't think it should be a first line one, which is why I disagree with it as a court mandated option. I think we should urge courts to emphasize other, stronger options if they are going to require it anyway.
Yay, agreement!

Treatment.

OK. Now that's out of the way lol, I would argue that anything that is legitimized as an helpful intervention is a treatment of sorts. The second we, as a field, promote something it builds a sense of legitimacy in the public, which is what matters to the definition of treatment. As I said, if we would consider it a separate treatment condition in an RCT, I argue it is a type of intervention. If you want to argue treatment and intervention mean different things, go for it but I don't see how or why such a distinct matters in any practical sense.

I don't find it absurd to ask for interventions to have support. I don't care their basis. Given the strong social element of those programs, one would hope for effects. Why do you pardon this treatment/intervention/whatever word you want to call it? If courts are pushing treatment (and to the court, that is what this is).. Why not push for efficacious ones?
I agree that a support system that is specific for recovery does make it harder to distinguish between professional treatment and just social support like T4Cs bowling league example (although those bowlers can drink a lot of beer so maybe not as good a social support for addiction as for depression ;)) . So I guess I won't blow your brains out. :D

More fun with articles...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3242865/
http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh334/350-355.pdf

A nice summary of a lot of the alternative groups out there:
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/1556035X.2012.705646

There is a somewhat large group of addiction psychologists out there that do a lot of research in these areas. I'd recommend reading their studies before drawing any sweeping conclusions about various resources and treatments that are available.

An interesting excerpt from the first article:

In 2009, approximately 2.3 million individuals with a substance use disorder attended a formal treatment program, and 5 million attended a peer-led mutual-help group for an alcohol or other drug problem (7). By far the largest of these groups is Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) with 1.3 million US members meeting in 57,000 groups each week (8). It is the most commonly sought source of help for alcohol-related problems (9, 10). Given AA’s potential public health significance in reducing alcohol-related harm, in 1990 the Institute of Medicine (11) called for more research on AA, specifically on its mechanisms, to help elucidate how it works and for whom. A subsequent scientific monograph summarized the state of the science as well as further research opportunities (12). The intervening 20 year period has seen a significant increase in scientific interest and rigor focused on the study of AA. This body of work has indicated that AA confers short and long-term therapeutic benefit on par with professional interventions (1316) and there are now numerous empirically-supported interventions designed specifically to increase AA participation (1722). AA has been shown also to reduce health care costs while enhancing treatment outcomes (14, 23). It is only recently, however, that research has begun to examine mechanisms through which AA confers these benefits (see 63 for a review).

Treatment.

In my neck of the woods in the Northeast, AA is a core part of substance treatment. Residential programs as a rule bring patients to nighttime meetings, and often hold daytime meetings in-house. Partial programs may or may not have 12 step groups; from what I have heard most or all of them check in with patients daily about their meeting attendance.

I don't think we can just mark AA as "not a treatment."

I've read some of the research and spoken with many addiction therapist and counselors, and my conclusions are the same. Groups, of some sort, are great, but they are not first line or solo interventions, they are adjuncts. Far too often they are treated as the only thing that people need to kick the habit. I think we're arguing about different things Pragma. I see AA and its ilk holding back proper first line treatments. Which is where my opposition comes from.

I think we're arguing about different things Pragma. I see AA and its ilk holding back proper first line treatments. Which is where my opposition comes from.
I think this is precisely where we disagree. You seem to think there is a culture that supports this, when AA itself says exactly the opposite. You seem to think AA has forced itself into the court system when they just cooperate with said system. I'd say fix the court system instead of pointing the finger at AA. Moreover, using a term like "AA and its ilk" really generalizes a large, heterogeneous group of people around the world and comes off as very subjective.

I will agree with you that there are some members within the 12-step community that don't follow guidelines and give bad advice (e.g., don't take medications, don't use any other treatments). But those are in the minority from my perspective and also seem to be disappearing as time passes. The nature of this non-treatment resource is such that it is peer-run - which has its benefits (higher quality of social support specific to the issue) as well as problems (occasionally people "playing doctor" when they shouldn't).

Given all of the evidence that this can be a beneficial resource, I find it a bit disturbing that opposition on political or religious grounds would cause a professional to not consider it as a potential resource for clients.

Given all of the evidence that this can be a beneficial resource, I find it a bit disturbing that opposition on political or religious grounds would cause a professional to not consider it as a potential resource for clients.

It's a resource, but, with the current climate, it is a resource that is overshadowing other, more empirically based resources that should be utilized first, or primarily. I feel that my scientific, political, and religious opposition to it are justified in the larger context of hoping that systematic change eventually occurs that benefits more people than the current system is allowing.