Article on legal "case" against the internship imbalance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My question as well. Although the APPIC stats don't appear to list the APA match rate nationwide, just the overall match rate (which for ten years through 2010 was 73.7%).

http://www.appic.org/Match/MatchStatistics/MatchStatistics2013PhaseI.aspx

APA match rate = 2431/4481 = .54

75%-ish is the APPIC match rate.

Members don't see this ad.

MCParent, correct me if I'm wrong...didn't you do a follow up paper to the 2010 that looked more closely at c-20 reporting of data and the variance in presentation by program? Did you capture the APA match rate per program, as it'd be really interesting to look at that data compared to the "blended" rates that many programs tout. If not....I'd be down to do some analysis. :D

We did, not published yet (I've been too busy to move forward on it, though I'm getting to it now). But you can't get the APA match rate by program, because APPIC doesn't collect/report that, and we found some programs misrepresented their match rate by not counting some people (i.e., APPIC data says they sent, say, 100 people to the match, and the program c-20 claims they sent 75; presumably they don't count folks who withdraw or don't match to drive up their reported match rate).

Analysis with these data are so weird. I'd love to do HLM with it, but the massive, massive skew of the data ruins models. :(

Last edited:
The national APA match rate is 54%?? Jeez. And yeah, Adler, great job being 1% above that!

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.appic.org/Match/MatchStatistics/MatchStatistics2013PhaseI.aspx

APA match rate = 2431/4481 = .54

75%-ish is the APPIC match rate.

Yeah, this was one of those "duh" moments; I was just combing through the 2000-2010 amagalamated data separated out by program.

So I suppose an APA match rate of 55% (if they're indeed actually counting all students who applied for internship) is indeed above the 2013 national rate of 54%, although "well above" is a bit misleading.

And Cara, yeah, I'd forgotten that the ~50% match rate has been pretty consistent for at least the past 3-4 years.

Analysis with these data are so weird. I'd love to do HLM with it, but the massive, massive skew of the data ruins models. :(

Do you have any idea how many instances of conflicting data exist? What's the SD within conflicting data?

These kind of problems are *far* more interesting than the billing and administrative stuff I have lurking on my desk. :laugh:

Do you have any idea how many instances of conflicting data exist? What's the SD within conflicting data?

These kind of problems are *far* more interesting than the billing and administrative stuff I have lurking on my desk. :laugh:

The problem is in the distribution of the data across schools. # of applicants is ridiculously bimodal, with a big bump in the 3-12 range and then data across until another bump at 70-100. I tried running all the data over time in an analysis of change once and it went crazy, because the correlations among the variables over time are all messed up. One could cluster them I suppose.

The APA match rate for PhD programs is like 78% or something though, isn't it?

http://www.appic.org/Match/MatchStatistics/ApplicantSurvey2011Part3.aspx

Item 9. This is APPIC member match rate, though. APA match rate doesn't exist, as far as I know. I know these charts WAY too well...

Match Rate
Ph.D. Psy.D.
Matched 84% 75%
Not Matched 14% 22%
Withdrew or did not 2% 3%
submit rankings

9. Percentage of matched applicants that were placed at an
APA- or CPA-accredited program:

Ph.D. = 94%
Psy.D. = 64%

Wow, the PsyD match rate for APA is much, much worse. I didn't know the difference was so high.

Wow, that's crazy high.

I just realized that I was thinking of the 2012-2013 Match data, which our DCT sent to us. According to that, 81% of PhD applicants matched whereas 77% of PsyD students matched. Not sure if this is APA only or not. For Clinical (not including School and Counseling), it was 79% for PhD students and 69% for PsyD students.

Yeah, this was one of those "duh" moments; I was just combing through the 2000-2010 amagalamated data separated out by program.

So I suppose an APA match rate of 55% (if they're indeed actually counting all students who applied for internship) is indeed above the 2013 national rate of 54%, although "well above" is a bit misleading.

And Cara, yeah, I'd forgotten that the ~50% match rate has been pretty consistent for at least the past 3-4 years.

The problem is that someone in the administration sends the information to the marketing folks, and it isn't verified as being accurate, and the marketing departments job is to capture the folks who are easily passing through the page.