As A Newly Graduated International Dentist,What type of Visa should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osahon7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a new Dentist who is about relocating to the States or Canada for NBDE and subsequently the DMD/DDS Program which type of Visa should I apply for? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to apply for student visa(F1) then. B1/B2 is just for to enter in USA and appear for NBDEs. I have seen people getting in to MPH on F1 visa just as entry purpose. So either way is fine. Only disadvantage for B1/B2 is that you might get rejected especially if you are from India or Pakistan

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You have to apply for student visa(F1) then. B1/B2 is just for to enter in USA and appear for NBDEs. I have seen people getting in to MPH on F1 visa just as entry purpose. So either way is fine. Only disadvantage for B1/B2 is that you might get rejected especially if you are from India or Pakistan

Thank you very much for your reply.am From Africa! So this is how it goes...(1)apply for a BI/B2 Visitor visa (2) come over to the states and write the NBDE (3) Apply for F1 Student Visa still in the states (4) get the F1 Visa approval then apply for an IDP program....did I miss anything??

You can't get F1 until you get admission in IDP program. You have stay on B1 visa for your NBDEs and your interview process.

You can't get F1 until you get admission in IDP program. You have stay on B1 visa for your NBDEs and your interview process.

Thank you sir..one more question please, what's the duration of the B visa? Like between 1-2years?? Also a friend told me I can't apply for the F1 while in the states and that I have to come back to my home country to apply please how true is this statement? Is he correct?

B visa- max u can stay is 6 months. They stamp ur passport at the airport.
F1- the school u get accepted to give to paperwork to apply for F1. You can apply while in states but you have to go to the airport to get your status changed coz F1 let you stay in us longer than 6 months.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
B visa- max u can stay is 6 months. They stamp ur passport at the airport.
F1- the school u get accepted to give to paperwork to apply for F1. You can apply while in states but you have to go to the airport to get your status changed coz F1 let you stay in us longer than 6 months.

So What happens after the 6months expires and you are yet to get into an IDP??

U have to go back to ur home country. Max u can stay in one stretch is 6 months.

U have to go back to ur home country. Max u can stay in one stretch is 6 months.

Thanks sir..Finally sir, After the DMD/DDS program how easy can I get an Associate Dentist job that will sponsor my Work visa or PR? I wish to practice in the rural areas! Also Because of this Visa Issue do FTDs after DMD/DDS get to receive lower salaries compared to their colleagues who are PR or Citizens?...Thank you sir

I'm also curious about this.. With the majority of DMD/DDS advanced standing programs are PR or citizens of the US, they will have no rush for searching jobs and need not worry about H1B visa..

Any non PR/Citizens out there give an insight on how the job market is out there after Advanced Standing, how prevalent do hospitals/clinics give out working visas or sponsor you for a Green Card?

Answers please
Hi If anyone wants to change their visa status from b1/b2/j1/j2/ etc to F1 and stay legally in the USA contact OPMI Business School. email: raja(@)opmi(dot)edu , Phone: 845-213-6022.
We offer free consultation on non immigrant visa and provide i-20.