As a non-trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miliwen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the undergrad school we goto may a huge impact on our acceptances? I am currently going back to school to get my BS. Now, I have the option of either going to a local college, CCSU (CCSU.edu ), or UConn (UConn.edu ). The problem with UConn is the drive. The main campus is a hour away. So thats 2 hours of driving each day, atleast. While they do have a satelite campus near by, I would only be there for a year, maybe 2. On the other end, CCSU is down the street. I can walk to it.

So my question is, will it effect me alot if I went to CCSU over UConn? Or should I stick with the more well-known school? Assuming grades are good at both schools? Thanks in advance.

-Scott

Members don't see this ad.

Depends. Some schools won't take CC credits for prereqs. Some universities won't take CC credits as transfer. To be safe, I'd go for the university credits.

Well, thats the thing. They both are 4 year institutes. Both schools take credits from any of CT's CC. I am just trying to find a reason to either goto CCSU or to UConn. Thanks ShyRem :)

Scott

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like as long as it's a four year institution and you earn good grades (all As or as close as possible to that), it doesn't matter very much how well-known the school is. My undergrad institution is also not well-known, and while I sometimes get asked about my unusual college program, I don't feel that it has held me back. It may make your MCAT score more important if you come from a less well-known institution, so that is something you may want to think about also.

One thing you could do if you're worried is to contact a school that you are thinking you'll apply to and ask them how they feel about it. Pre-application admissions counseling is always a good idea anyway so that you can make your app as strong as possible. Good luck!

No it does not really matter as long as you are competitive otherwise. I got into top schools and come from a no-name school in the South....

Hey

Ask the medical school admissions people if they take CC credits. All DO schools do and most MD schools do as well. If you end up in a class of 120 in university and get a B because of the informal nature of the class, yet you could goto your local CC and have extra help and get an A thats a big deal. The A will always look better and certainly increases your GPA.

In anycase, call the med school admissions people. Answers here are simply opinions and have no basis in fact.

Mike MacKinnon said:
Hey

Ask the medical school admissions people if they take CC credits. All DO schools do and most MD schools do as well. If you end up in a class of 120 in university and get a B because of the informal nature of the class, yet you could goto your local CC and have extra help and get an A thats a big deal. The A will always look better and certainly increases your GPA.

In anycase, call the med school admissions people. Answers here are simply opinions and have no basis in fact.
This isn't a problem. The OP already said that both schools are four year institutions. ;)

Q

Good thing one of us can read eh? hehehe

Thanks Bro, always appreciate your posts througout the forums.

Miliwen said:
Does the undergrad school we goto may a huge impact on our acceptances? I am currently going back to school to get my BS. Now, I have the option of either going to a local college, CCSU (CCSU.edu ), or UConn (UConn.edu ). The problem with UConn is the drive. The main campus is a hour away. So thats 2 hours of driving each day, atleast. While they do have a satelite campus near by, I would only be there for a year, maybe 2. On the other end, CCSU is down the street. I can walk to it.

So my question is, will it effect me alot if I went to CCSU over UConn? Or should I stick with the more well-known school? Assuming grades are good at both schools? Thanks in advance.

-Scott

You want to go to the best school possible to maximize your chances. I have taken classes at both a CA state school and a UC and the competition is like night and day. The adcomms know this so you will have more credibility with A's from a better school (of course there are exceptions and people get in from unknown schools, etc but we are talking about giving it your best shot). That being said, I think a 2 hour commute is too much to make it worth it. That 2 hours spent studying could make the difference in getting A's versus B's. If you could move closer to the better school that would be ideal.