As a non US citizen, what's going to happen after I graduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pillowcases

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll (hopefully) be attending a dental school in fall 2014, but I haven't thought about my status and what I can do after graduating. Is it possible to specialize or open your own practice when you're not a resident? If someone could link me to more info I'd greatly appreciate your help, thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

i would also appreciate any input on this issue.

I'll (hopefully) be attending a dental school in fall 2014, but I haven't thought about my status and what I can do after graduating. Is it possible to specialize or open your own practice when you're not a resident? If someone could link me to more info I'd greatly appreciate your help, thanks in advance.

Once you graduate you will be eligible for 1 yr post completion OPT which will allow you work. While on your OPT you can then get your employer to sponsor you for an H1B visa (note: you may be able to get an employer sponsor you for an H1B right out of dental school). You can be on an H1B for a maximum of 6 yrs at a time before you will be required to spend 1 yr outside of the country. So, if you intend to stay here permanently then you will also need your employer to sponsor you for a green card (or you get it by other means- marriage, self sponsorship, or visa lottery).

And yes you can do a dental residency after dental school. But for a few specialties (pediatrics and oral surgery) it may be difficult (certainly not impossible) to get a spot if you are not a green card holder.

And yes, you can also start your own practice after dental school- you'll just need to sort out your work visa issues for the long term for that to be sustainable.