As a person who wants to stay in the big city, rank list suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youmee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently debating between UVA, Montefiore, or Case Western. I want to stay in academics, preferably epilepsy or stroke. I don't intend to become a prominent research name or anything of the sort.

I know that UVA is a phenomenal program, but Charlottesville was shockingly small. I love the big city and I am not an outdoors kind of person at all. I'm really the type of person who likes to go to the mall on black friday just to have a coffee because I love the energy of having people around. Cleveland was, well Cleveland.

I love NYC and it's really my dream to live/work there for the rest of my life. I was wondering if it would be more/equally as beneficial to stay in Montefiore, if that would help me better secure a future hospitalist position in NYC (columbia/cornell/mount sinai/montefiore/etc)? I also felt myself as a much much better fit with the residents there.

Or does the reputation of UVA or Case trump the opportunities a residency in montefiore would allow?

I suppose I am asking for advice from people who better understand the step after residency/fellowship. I believe I have a poor understanding of the actual difference having UVA/Case vs Montefiore on my future resume will have on my future prospects. Is it worth spending the 4 years in Charlottesville/Cleveland?

Members don't see this ad.

I might need some perspective on my rank list soon.

I think one thing that was stressed to me during interviews was that fellowships were much less competitive than residency spots.

I think you have three pretty good options and if you want to live/work in NYC why not start during residency? I think you will have good chance of getting fellowship in NYC if you are already in NYC for residency.

UVA and Case Western have great reputations, but not so much so that they would likely put you in such a stronger position than being at Montefiore.

I might need some perspective on my rank list soon.

I think one thing that was stressed to me during interviews was that fellowships were much less competitive than residency spots.

I think you have three pretty good options and if you want to live/work in NYC why not start during residency? I think you will have good chance of getting fellowship in NYC if you are already in NYC for residency.

UVA and Case Western have great reputations, but not so much so that they would likely put you in such a stronger position than being at Montefiore.

Statistically, how does it work out that fellowships are less competitive than residency spots? I would think they would be more competitive since there are fewer of them, and the pool of people applying is already the cream of the crop who have matched into good residency spots.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm only applying to residencies myself, so take this with a grain of salt (seriously).

Fellowship programs are much less competitive than IM fellowships, so it's a buyer's market and you can get a great one from almost anywhere. Also, going to residency in New York will allow you to work with other famous faculty in the city. Unless you are trying to get foothold in a big name research institution, become a famous name, trying to become program chair, get funding for research, I don't see how going to a slightly "lesser" program will slight your life as long as you get great training. You can still work in the city you want, in a great hospital, making the same (if not more) money.

With that said, Montefiore is a really great program. It's not in manhattan (which I'm sure you know), but a lot of the residents live in manhattan and commute via subway. They're very strong in epilepsy, also strong in stroke. You shouldn't have any problems getting a good fellowship afterwards, and getting a job in manhattan. It's actually a very competitive program, and I believe they fill nearly entirely with american MDs.

Last edited:
Thank you for all of the replies.

It makes me wonder if I should move Montefiore up even further on my list if it would help me secure a future in NYC. How about in comparison to programs like UTSW and UMiami? (aiming for a future fellowship in stroke or epilepsy at Columbia, Mount Sinai, or NYU)

Last edited: