As a pre-medical student, is it "bad" to not do any EC's first semester freshman year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoyKim456

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting out with 17 units and I have to take Honors chem (which is VERY difficult) because I got a 5 on the AP test. I work out, do homework, and study. I really just want to focus on classes for now.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No you don't have to do anything but study first semester.

What you could do though is get involved early to show longevity, the AMCAS asks for length of time doing an activity now and not hours per week. So you could volunteer half an hour a week through two different organizations throughout the school year then binge volunteer in the summer. Anybody want to comment on the validity of this approach?

Honestly, I don't really think I did much my first semester. I didn't really know I was premed back then and was also taking a heavy load. I'm not sure med schools will care so much, as long as you find something eventually. However, have you noticed how relative 'work load' is? In middle school I used to pass up activities thinking "I don't have time for that! Look at all this homework!" But that work load was tiny in comparison to what I was doing in college or even in high school.

You need to learn to be efficient and balance your work load with other activities. You likely do have time to spare - you just have be proactive about your course work so you can attend all your ECs. Next year will be harder (with organic chemistry!), and med school will be even MORE demanding. However, we need to find time to get out and do other things. It's not healthy to sit and study all day.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the focus on first year should be studying because you're transitioning from high school and learning how to measure your time. Maybe next semester, you can start with something small and to how you juggle your course-load with your extracurriculars?

Anyway, using your first semester as an adjusting period is just fine.

I think I will slowly transition working out into playing a sport and make a couple hours a week volunteering at a hospital.

Reactions: 1 user