As a Premed, Feel Obligated To Call Out Unsanitary People?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDforMee

Sweet Cheeks
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like every class lecture I go to, there is someone doing something filthy and disgusting, spreading germs, and unsurprisingly, is usually sick, himself.

Take today's bozo, sitting in front of me, chewing his nails, putting his finger in his mouth, wiping his hands on the desk, and coughing/sniveling.

Other times, people are sick in the library, coughing/sneezing/blowing their nose, yet choosing to go into public and expose other people to their germs.

I don't care what your bad habits are, or whether you have a place to study at home, or not, there are simple things that you don't do.

The next time it happens, I'm going to say something.

What say you?

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like every class lecture I go to, there is someone doing something filthy and disgusting, spreading germs, and unsurprisingly, is usually sick, himself.

Take today's bozo, sitting in front of me, chewing his nails, putting his finger in his mouth, wiping his hands on the desk, and coughing/sniveling.

Other times, people are sick in the library, coughing/sneezing/blowing their nose, yet choosing to go into public and expose other people to their germs.

I don't care what your bad habits are, or whether you have a place to study at home, or not, there are simple things that you don't do.

The next time it happens, I'm going to say something.

What say you?

I say good luck being in a profession where those types of people are around all day everyday.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

As a pre-med, should you? no. As a neurotic douchebag, should you? yes. Interestingly enough, there seems to be a strong correlation between the aforementioned, so I say do it!

Members don't see this ad :)
You set them straight OP. You have a pre-professional right as a pre-med to go up to anyone doing anything unsightly and set them straight. If they're spreading germs, it's your right, no, your DUTY to stop them. Take initiative and then write about it in your personal statement. You will get full scholarship to harvard, yale, and mayo simultaneously. Oh and who knows, you might even become a happy chinese girl.

As a pre-med, should you? no. As a neurotic douchebag, should you? yes. Interestingly enough, there seems to be a strong correlation between the aforementioned, so I say do it!

The guy putting his fingers into his mouth, that is obviously sick, wiping his hands on his desk doesn't bother you?

You must not be cognizant of the fact that YOU must maintain clean hands at all times when dealing with patients.

Of course, perhaps YOU don't have any clinical experience, either.

Yeah, according to YOU, it's cool to let some ***** put his mucus where other people sit.

YOU must know everything. Let's leave medicine in your hands, and not put patient's health interests ahead of your better sensibilities.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

The guy putting his fingers into his mouth, that is obviously sick, wiping his hands on his desk doesn't bother you?

You must not be cognizant of the fact that YOU must maintain clean hands at all times when dealing with patients.

Yeah, according to YOU, it's cool to let some ***** put his mucus where other people sit.

YOU must know everything. Let's leave medicine in your hands, and not put patient's health interests ahead of your better sensibilities.

Oh. I guess I don't. Thank for that perceptive and rational critique. I will spend the rest of the night looking for more suitable professions.

You set them straight OP. You have a pre-professional right as a pre-med to go up to anyone doing anything unsightly and set them straight. If they're spreading germs, it's your right, no, your DUTY to stop them. Take initiative and then write about it in your personal statement. You will get full scholarship to harvard, yale, and mayo simultaneously. Oh and who knows, you might even become a happy chinese girl.

For those of us that graduated the third grade, we learned to wash our hands, not put our fingers in our mouths, and have the common decency to not spread illness.

I fully expect a scholarship.

For those of us that graduated the third grade, we learned to wash our hands, not put our fingers in our mouths, and have the common decency to not spread illness.

I fully expect a scholarship.

But OP, I am agreeing with you! Why wait till the next incident? You need to take to the streets in full riot gear, I'm talking armed to the teeth with hand sanitizer, kleenex, and lysol wipes. Don't wait for the next incident to take action, you need to take action NOW, before some fiend spreads his germs all over this beautiful country of 'murica!

Oh. I guess I don't. Thank for that perceptive and rational critique. I will spend the rest of the night looking for more suitable professions.

As well you should, and take your bird flu with you on the way out the door.

...You want to work in a hospital? Around sick people?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just carry a travel bag of Clorox wipes and calm down otherwise people are going to think you're a jerk.

IS this thing on?

DO you hear me?

Disgusting face picking, mouth probing, vector passing obligate parasite of a human wipes mucus on his desk, say nothing all you want.

Not me.

IS this thing on?

DO you hear me?

Disgusting face picking, mouth probing, vector passing obligate parasite of a human wipes mucus on his desk, say nothing all you want.

Not me.

You should actually write him an angry letter. Perhaps in all caps if you really mean it.

This. I would be careful how you approach people about it, don't get beat up.

IS this thing on?

DO you hear me?

Not me.

Bro you're like the baddest badass I've ever seen.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

IS this thing on?

DO you hear me?

Not me.

Not you? You already said nothing.

How did the human race ever make it this far... perhaps the global population will soon reach 10 billion if you crusade around the way you intend?

OP, I'm sorry these disgusting people are giving you such a hard time. I respect the hygiene of the people around me, why can't they do the same? As a premed, I know that I should wipe down my arms and face with 70% ethanol whenever I go in public and I make sure to wear mesh clothing to prevent the spread of my skin cells when I move around. I even wear nitrile gloves to make sure that my bodily fluid doesn't leak onto the surfaces that I touch.

I seriously wish that other premeds would at least use their expertise (we're basically doctors already, I got an A in both Biochemistry AND Human Anatomy) to advocate this kind of change. If I don't leave an physical trace of myself behind, nobody should either. Keep fighting le good fight OP, don't let these kids get you down.

How did the human race ever make it this far... perhaps the global population will soon reach 10 billion if you crusade around the way you intend?

I'm out of here.

You're all pretty immature.

No.

Oh wait, you said as a pre-med. That changes everything because you're practically a doctor!

Don't say anything to them, just put a bottle of hand sanitizer in front of them. Instant friends and you can list it as an extracurricular.

*golf clap* to OP. As a future MD/MPH I feel that we have a moral obligation to ensure public health standards are ensured, starting with our local classroom communities.

Why not take it a step further and just kill the son of a bitch? If he is sick and you kill him (with a bow and arrow of course, you don't want to get to close), you'll not only eliminate the threat of him spreading disease, but you'll kill the germs themselves because they live in his body.

Hopefully you won't have a heart attack when 25% of your MS1 class does all of this and they roll their eyes when you try to scold them.

Why not take it a step further and just kill the son of a bitch? If he is sick and you kill him (with a bow and arrow of course, you don't want to get to close), you'll not only eliminate the threat of him spreading disease, but you'll kill the germs themselves because they live in his body.

things just got dark, I say hand them a flyer for free pizza then lead them to a room and lock the door. instant quarantine and you get too eat all the pizza.

What does "OP" mean? :oops: I am sorry I am new to SDN and honestly, do not know what it means. :D I am seeing it in many threads and getting lost on conversations :laugh:

See, unlike the OP, I spent enough time as a child being absolutely covered in disgusting muck that my immune system is robust enough to cover most things.

But seriously, OP, after a depressing evening of national politics, you injected some much-need humor into my night.

Why don't you stop trying to make exclusivity out of it and just encourage good hygiene because its a good human thing to do? It doesn't make a difference that you're a premed.

Because if I didn't post in a premedical nature, the thread gets locked.

Isn't there a lounge on this board?

It's unsanitary, but just deal with it. If someone sneezes and the air has germs in it, should you yell at them?

You're going to be surrounded by sick people in the future. If this bothers you, good luck. :|

I think the reason you're getting torched here is because you titled your post "As a Premed..."
I'm not sure why, but it just sounds...douchey? Like you're stating that being a premed gives you some social responsibility or insight above the average man.

Whether or not that's true, it's an unpopular opinion here. Perhaps because it reminds us of kids playing house (MD?), and it may be... amusing?

It may have been a different scene if you titled it "Feel Obligated To Call Out Unsanitary People?"
I'd still say no. But more politely.

Last edited:
I think the reason you're getting torched here is because you titled your post "As a Premed..."
I'm not sure why, but it just sounds...douchey? Like you're stating that being a premed gives you some social responsibility or insight above the average man.

Whether or not that's true, it's an unpopular opinion here. Because, we all consider ourselves to be "normal people."

It may have been a different scene if you titled it "Feel Obligated To Call Out Unsanitary People?"
I'd still say no. But more politely.

Why isn't there a lounge on this board?

And if any of you think that putting your filthy fingers in your mouth when you're sick, then wiping it on your desk is cool, you've got problems.

In fact, that so many of you seem okay with this behavior makes me think I've stepped back in time to some place right around 9th grade.

I'm reminded constantly why the pre-allo forum is a joke.

Gonna cut through these sarcastic responses and just say that no, you shouldn't confront people about their hygiene. It's great that you are very aware of the people around you and what germs they could be spreading--use that to protect yourself from the germs. MAYBE if you see someone coming to use something that the sick person just touched, you can warn that person. But don't confront the "unsanitary" person. They'll just tell you to gtfo and you won't change their habits anyway.

What does "OP" mean? :oops: I am sorry I am new to SDN and honestly, do not know what it means. :D I am seeing it in many threads and getting lost on conversations :laugh:

OP means "original poster" or "original post." So MDforMee is the original poster and the first post in the thread is the original post. Welcome to SDN! We don't bite (unless you're a troll). :smuggrin:

And if any of you think that putting your filthy fingers in your mouth when you're sick, then wiping it on your desk is cool, you've got problems.

In fact, that so many of you seem okay with this behavior makes me think I've stepped back in time to some place right around 9th grade.

No one is saying that it's cool. Your attitude towards this and to other people is just unpleasant, which is why you're getting heat.

Also, why is there even a need for a lounge? Why is there a dire need to tell everyone here this?

stopped reading at because. troll detected.

why do i get the feeling that you're insanely nerdy?

Like I said before, if you feel this bad about it, it's gonna be the same in med school.

And basically everywhere in life. And people won't like it when you say that stuff IRL.

If you tell any of your college peers the stuff you talked about in here, they might laugh at you, or be more dirty to spite you.

You've never picked your nose and slipped the booger into someones drink for the funsies?

Or made out with a girl (or guy) before? You know making out with someone else is basically like that snotty nosed kid wiping his snot and then shoving his finger in your mouth.

Like you're stating that being a premed gives you some social responsibility or insight above the average man.

Even if OP said as a physician (unless he's at the hospital).

If some dude came up to me at the grocery store and said, "Hey, I saw you sneeze into your sleeve, and I must say as a doctor I condemn your actions" I would cough in the guy's face and walk away.

OP, go lie down and listen to some ocean noises or something. You seem a bit high-strung...

Last edited:
I get what you're saying OP, I find it grotesque when people behave in that manner. Let's not even talk about exam day, when people are sniffling, coughing, sneezing..... I find myself having panic attacks.....Easily. And going out to eat is mostly a bad experience for me. Waiters coughing over food, wiping their noses while they're taking orders. I find myself either reporting the individuals, walking out, or both. Being in a hospital, you're expected to be around sick people but going out to eat? No comparison! OP just make sure you carry hand sanitizer at ALL times! I sure as hell do.

No one thinks it's cool. But the thing is, we can't really control whether other people do so, and as everyone else has pointed out, walking up to someone and asking them to not wipe their snot all over the desk is a pretty douchey thing to do, regardless of how disgusting it is. So basically, you just have to get used to it.

Also, love the satirical responses OP has inspired.

No one thinks it's cool. But the thing is, we can't really control whether other people do so, and as everyone else has pointed out, walking up to someone and asking them to not wipe their snot all over the desk is a pretty douchey thing to do, regardless of how disgusting it is. So basically, you just have to get used to it.

Also, love the satirical responses OP has inspired.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but OP has inspired me to make change in my community. I'm gonna walk around campus today and throw a packet of Kleenex at anybody who breathes the wrong way. OP, you are the hero that modern medicine deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

OP is in for a big surprise his first time having sex. Can't imagine what his poor partner will have to go through before he or she is deemed clean.