Other OT-Related Information As an occupational therapist do you have to understand pharmacology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

Healthcare102

Just curious since many patient are on different medications which can influence behavior and motor movement?

Members don't see this ad.

As a generalist, occupational therapy school does not go into pharmacology. You will get familiar with them, if applicable, as experience is built. Someone working in mental health would be more familiar with various medication compared to someone working in physical disabilities.

I am a practicing OT for 6 years. Here is my experience with pharmacology. In school, we did go over some medications especially as they relate to mental health and cardiac issues. However, most of my exposure to medications has been in the context of work with patients--I work in physical disabilities in both transitional care units (short term rehab), long term care and home health. You start to get familiarized with several medications and you will get questions every so often from a patient asking about his/her medications. I answer what I confidently know otherwise I refer them to their nurse if I am not entirely certain. Hope that helps.