As DO students, do you have time to exercise?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TurkTurkleton92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I think the topic title says it all. How common is it to have an hour of time to exercise during the week? Or are you guys typically too tired to go run/lift weight/whatever?
I was running yesterday and I was really hoping I'd still be able to separate an hour of my day to run.

Members don't see this ad.

Well compared to our MD counterparts we have alot more time, obviously joking. Yes you have time to have a life. I studied, played video games, watched tv, hung out with my girlfriend, hung out with my friends, went out drinking, took weekend trips to visit my old college friends, high school friends or family members. Life goes on, it doesnt end and just become medical school. Time management, my friend. You'll figure it out and get a solid routine down.

LOL! I didn't mean it like that at all! Sorry if there was any confusion!
Thank you, I appreciate the response.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, but as a DO student you have to workout your whole body and do it as a unit, so it takes longer than an MD student.

Reactions: 31 users
Hey, I think the topic title says it all. How common is it to have an hour of time to exercise during the week? Or are you guys typically too tired to go run/lift weight/whatever?
I was running yesterday and I was really hoping I'd still be able to separate an hour of my day to run.
An hour every day might be difficult but it may be possible if you are a fast and disciplined learner and/or aren't shooting for honors.
If you mean an hour per week, then it's absolutely doable.
As others have said, you can make time to do things other than study. I manage to fit in a lot of personal time on many weeks but I'm admittedly not a top student.

An hour a day keeps the M1 15+ away. Seriously, you'll have plenty of time to workout. Just make it happen.

Reactions: 1 user
It'll cut into your playing COD and sitting in the bathtub for an hour time. But do-able.

I can't imagine not being able to squeeze in an hour/hour 15 5x a week. I honestly think it would help with school.

time? yes.
energy? meh.

Reactions: 3 users
time? yes.
energy? meh.

Yup. Time management is the name of the game but you gotta force yourself. It's positive feed back. I'm on MRICU as a pgy1, and despite working 12-18 hrs a day at one of the nation's top 25 pulm/icu programs, I have time to run for 30 mins, study an hr, cook food, and get on here to think back to when I was in med school and trolled sdn.... a whole 2 months ago.

My OMS-1 year (after anatomy was over in Nov.) went like this:
wake up 7am. breakfast, espn, facebook. Take dog for walk.
10am i'd begin watching yesterday's lectures.
5-9pm some combination of gym/run/dinner/relax with family.
9-11pm review material from earlier in week. Then sex followed by sleep.
Repeat.

Edit: This of course didn't work on those darn 4 hour OMM days. Couldn't even use that time wisely by doing firecracker questions like in ECM.

Last edited: