As far as extracurriculars go, am I doing fine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PooshBag

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I've lurked on sdn for years since high school and read a lot of threads. (This is a fantastic community and place, for I've learned a lot!)
This is my first thread. Any and all feedback and criticism is welcome. I appreciate your time to read and help!

I am a second semester sophomore.

My overall gpa is 3.93. I had a 4.0 until i received an A- in history and a B+ in orgo 1.

I have not taken the MCATS yet, but am planning to after this semester, after an entire summer spent preparing.

My ECs have helped me a lot! I'll spare the details for each one, for I don't want to make my post too long, on fear that people will not read it.

-I have shadowed a physician and PA for about a total of 25 hours.
-I have participated in a summer research internship, that concluded with a poster presentation. It was full time, 40 hours a week (unpaid, btw).
-I have been volunteering at a free clinic since last semester, for about 4 hours a week.
-I am beginning hospice volunteering soon. (already interviewed and invited to begin).

-I have worked part time at a pizza joint as a manager. (My family is not very affluent, so i need the money to sustain myself through college).

Hobbies (Are these important or unimportant?):
-I like to run and lift weights. Fitness is important to me.
-I like to practice art, like drawing, painting, and using oil/chalk pastels.

How can i make myself further competitive for admissions committees in the near future when I apply? I've considered more shadowing hours with doctors of other specialties.

Once again, your time to read and comment is very appreciated by me. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you Goro! I was wondering though, after reading many old threads about extracurriculars, should hobbies and such be included on your amcas, even if they have no professional or medical values?