ASA 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a MS2 and am considering attending this year's ASA conference in Chicago. Is there any real benefit to me going considering I'm only an MS2?

Members don't see this ad.

Looks good on your resume, you'll learn some anesthesia stuff, you can rub shoulders with some of the PDs and faculty and stuff from other places and get a feel for their vibe. Chicago is a great city and you can have a little fun at night. It won't give you a huge leg up or anything though, so really depends on your finances..

If you have a home program, consider contacting them about research/clinical/poster possibilities. That's a great thing to get on your resume, and not too difficult with some help. Might pair you up with a resident for double coverage.

That would be more for next year, of course.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just had an MS1 from my home program ask me the same thing; I'll relay what I told her. Most of it is applicable to you, too:

You haven't had any time in the specialty, yet, so you don't have a solid grasp a lot of the basic fundamentals (absolutely not your fault; you're still in your first year). Most of the lectures are geared towards residents and attendings so most of the talks are going to go over your head. The sessions geared to medical students are usually tamer, but those tend to be career-oriented / match-oriented talks which are only marginally helpful for you at this stage. There is a session to meet residency directors and learn about programs, but you're still 3 years from applying. PDs aren't going to remember you, and a lot of program details can change in 3 years.

That being said, there is benefit to going. First, you'll get substantial exposure to the culture and personality of the specialty and get an idea if these are the kinds of people you want to be in 10 years. You can also hang out with the upperclassman and pick our brains about the application process and our experiences. If you're feeling burned out at this point it can be refreshing to see what your end goal will be and hopefully give you an energy boost to finish the first semester. I've also heard that Chicago is a fun city to visit, so there's that as well. You can also list your attendance on your resume which shows early interest in the specialty, but honestly, I doubt that carries too much weight in the grand scheme of things.​

OP, if you can convince your school to pay for the trip and you're not going to suffer academically, I would say go for it. I also agree with the advice from @AdmiralChz. If you're still interested in anesthesia next year, reach out to the research chair at your home program. It's pretty easy to knock out case reports or smaller reviews. If you can get on a project and present at next year's conference, that'll add substance to your resume for sure. For what it's worth, I'm an MS4 applying anesthesia so I'll add the obligatory YMMV along with my advice.

Don't go unless you want to be around a bunch of hard ons acting like hard ons.

Reactions: 1 user