ASA Expert Witness Testimony Review Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted126335

Anybody have any info or experience about this program? I am thinking of filing a complaint. I have been to the ASA website. There is a liar for hire that I would like to have disciplined for unbelievable testimony.

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody have any info or experience about this program? I am thinking of filing a complaint. I have been to the ASA website. There is a liar for hire that I would like to have disciplined for unbelievable testimony.

It is very difficult to get them to take action and even when they do it is unlikely to be effective.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it Dr. White by any chance. That testimony was on the TV and was pretty disgusting to watch.

Is it Dr. White by any chance. That testimony was on the TV and was pretty disgusting to watch.

Nope. Just a local malpractice case with unbelievable testimony from a very recognizable, and prominent academic. Anyone have any other info anout any disciplinary actions taken? There is lttle info on the ASA website.

Nope. Just a local malpractice case with unbelievable testimony from a very recognizable, and prominent academic. Anyone have any other info anout any disciplinary actions taken? There is lttle info on the ASA website.

My understanding is that they can revoke your board certification for gross misconduct which would interfere with this jackhole's ability to testify or consult in the future.
We need to burn these bastards at the stake.
Good luck.

Probably was paid off by the attorneys. This is disgusting. There should be a way to file complaints on "expert witnesses" who clearly don't give a crap about ethics and more about their wallets.

I must have missed something. What was the testimony that was given? I too am against liars for hire.

There is. This program. Description on the ASA members website. Haven't heard much about it. Hence this thread.

http://www.asahq.org/For-Members/Of.../Expert-Witness-Testimony-Review-Program.aspx

The key is to get the attorney to ask the question of the expert witness, "have you been certified by your national organization as an expert witness under the Expert Witness Testimony Review Program?" 95% of "experts" have not and will not likely in the future. Your use of a certified expert then carries that much more weight.

Paul White really did a disservice to the specialty with his testimony. Unfortunately, I know Paul personally and doubt he understands just how badly he made the community look with his statesments.

The key is to get the attorney to ask the question of the expert witness, "have you been certified by your national organization as an expert witness under the Expert Witness Testimony Review Program?" 95% of "experts" have not and will not likely in the future. Your use of a certified expert then carries that much more weight.

Paul White really did a disservice to the specialty with his testimony. Unfortunately, I know Paul personally and doubt he understands just how badly he made the community look with his statesments.

These expert witnesses are very common in anesthesiology and many of them are famous names who wrote the text books.
They are in it for the money and no one really goes after them because many of them are authorities in the field.
The only reason Dr. White was scrutinized is that the patient was Michael Jackson, that's it and in a different malpractice case under the usual circumstances some one like DR White would have been seen as credible and valuable based on his credentials and academic history alone.
The law does not require an expert witness to be certified by anyone and I don't see the lawyers (who control legislation) allowing this to change anytime soon.

Its easy for a hired gun expert liar ***** to justify his actions when he gets paid 10 times more money per hour for med mal compared to clinical practice or research. Thats especially true of academics who get paid quite a bit less than their private practice colleagues, I think many of them resent the private practice money and say "**** it I'm going to get mine" and end up selling out their profession to the lawyers.

I've heard of the neurosurgery profession starting to regulate outrageous expert testimony and they have even gone so far as to revoke people's board certification. Of course, the "expert" sued them and I'm not sure what happened after that, wouldnt surprise me if some idiot judge forced the board to give him back his certification.

Doctors are in bed with lawyers much more so than most people realize. If you have ever wondered why medical boards cant seem to kick people out who are grossly negligent over and over again, its because these scumbags hire lawyers who get sympathetic judges to force the medical boards to back off.

How do you get certified? Is it the ASA doing the certifying? What criteria do they base it on? Once certified, does it cover all subspecialties? For instance, would a certified expert witness who has no expertise in pediatrics trump an uncertified witness who subspecializes in pediatrics if the case pertains to pdeiatrics?
Sorry for all of the questions, just curious how that works. I think I recall you saying that you have reviewed cases before. Is it a rewarding experience (I mean professionally, not monetarily) or something you did not care for? It is difficult to be the bad guy who has to call out the practice of a peer.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you get certified? Is it the ASA doing the certifying? What criteria do they base it on? Once certified, does it cover all subspecialties? For instance, would a certified expert witness who has no expertise in pediatrics trump an uncertified witness who subspecializes in pediatrics if the case pertains to pdeiatrics?
Sorry for all of the questions, just curious how that works. I think I recall you saying that you have reviewed cases before. Is it a rewarding experience (I mean professionally, not monetarily) or something you did not care for? It is difficult to be the bad guy who has to call out the practice of a peer.

I defended physicians that I knew were getting the shaft. Local lawyers know that I won't take a case as a hired gun. There has to be merit. Many times, I have told defendants to settle simply because I knew they were headed toward a waste of time and were actually at fault. I have not been certified as an expert witness but as my future remains clouded with my health situation, may consider it and restart my legal associations.

The money is OK, but I used these cases as a learning experience as well. It would amaze you to know what I've read about and seen going out in just about every type of medical environment you can imagine. It reemphasizes to me that there are not enough mechanisms in place to control the corruption and criminals that pervade the entire health care system.

I defended physicians that I knew were getting the shaft. Local lawyers know that I won't take a case as a hired gun. There has to be merit. Many times, I have told defendants to settle simply because I knew they were headed toward a waste of time and were actually at fault. I have not been certified as an expert witness but as my future remains clouded with my health situation, may consider it and restart my legal associations.

The money is OK, but I used these cases as a learning experience as well. It would amaze you to know what I've read about and seen going out in just about every type of medical environment you can imagine. It reemphasizes to me that there are not enough mechanisms in place to control the corruption and criminals that pervade the entire health care system.

Thanks. I would definitely want you on my side if it ever came to that. It sounds like it would be rewarding to help bring justice to both sides such as what you are doing. I would think it would be pretty hard to sleep at night if you were a hired gun asked to say whatever they told you to say.

I think I would be a great expert witness.

Is pent sux tube standard of practice for critical AS, difficult airway, septic patients?

Yes, your honor. It is. The defendant is well within my standard of practice.

Page 46 of the May ASA Newsletter is a full page story of the censure of Ronald L. Katz for his expert witness testimony that was found to be in violation of the ASA Guidelines for Expert Witness Qualifications and Testimony. It is an interesting read if you have time.

Curious to hear if this was who Dr Doze was referring to.

Page 46 of the May ASA Newsletter is a full page story of the censure of Ronald L. Katz for his expert witness testimony that was found to be in violation of the ASA Guidelines for Expert Witness Qualifications and Testimony. It is an interesting read if you have time.

I'm sure Katz will promptly sue the ASA and some idiot judge will force them to retract the censure.

Part of the reason that medical boards have such a hard time getting rid of ****ty doctors is because the incompetent docs hire lawyers to sue the board.

One of the contentious areas (according to the now-censured individual) was that an NGT was not placed prior to induction with an SBO, as discussed in this thread.

I'm sure Katz will promptly sue the ASA and some idiot judge will force them to retract the censure.

Part of the reason that medical boards have such a hard time getting rid of ****ty doctors is because the incompetent docs hire lawyers to sue the board.

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on with a lawsuit against the ASA. It's a private organization that can set it's own rules and if he violated their standards I can't imagine he'd have any chance to winning in court. And would he be personally footing all those lawyer bills to try to win a fight he can't win? Seems unlikely.