ASDA at Columbia University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I live in California and just scheduled an interview at NYU for late november. I applied 5th batch and still haven't heard anything from Columbia. I'd obviously like to get through both interviews (if invited to Columbia) on the same trip, and was wondering if there would be any benefit to letting Columbia know I'd be in the area. Thanks in advance for any advice!

I would call the office to notify them of your situation ASAP.

Members don't see this ad.

Does Columbia really require 3 science professor letters? Can I just send my 3rd science letter directly to them? Because I really don't want to use a 3rd science professor as my 4th and last letter on aadsas :(

Does Columbia really require 3 science professor letters? Can I just send my 3rd science letter directly to them? Because I really don't want to use a 3rd science professor as my 4th and last letter on aadsas :(

Shoot the admissions office a call and they'll tell you exactly how you should tackle this situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know when the next batch of interview invites will be sent out? Thank you

Does Columbia factor in what undergraduate institution you came from?

Also can a high DAT make up for a subpar gpa! I'm taking about a 3.3 sci gpa and 3.4 overall.

Does Columbia factor in what undergraduate institution you came from?

Also can a high DAT make up for a subpar gpa! I'm taking about a 3.3 sci gpa and 3.4 overall.

Every dental school has an understanding of how difficult/easy institutions are. I suppose the DAT is used to normalize any discrepancies in GPA, academic institutions, etc.

http://dental.columbia.edu/page/class-statistics

Here are our recent stats. Just remember it's just an AVERAGE. You will have people higher and lower stats than the listed averaged. As you can see, the average GPA is 3.5 so you're not too far from the average.

Does Columbia dental school give a majority of their acceptances to the local applicants in New York ? Or tristate area ?

What should the average student expect to pay back in loans after graduating from Columbia?

What should the average student expect to pay back in loans after graduating from Columbia?

that's a good question. I heard you interviewed already. Did they not talk about this at the interview or were they pretty vague about it? Also, did they talk about when they start pre-clinicals?

that's a good question. I heard you interviewed already. Did they not talk about this at the interview or were they pretty vague about it? Also, did they talk about when they start pre-clinicals?

I should have inquired more about it, but after presenting everything, their conclusion was the loans should be "affordable". So pretty vague.

As far as scholarships go, their was a post about that on this thread earlier and these guys said there should be some scholarships, but they're not sure.

Pre-clinicals start in February of your 2nd year. So for the class of 2017, they will start February 2015.

One of the interviewees on my interview date asked if Columbia gave out merit-based scholarships and the financial aid guy didn't seem to think so. I heard that Columbia used to have a Dean's Scholarship similar to Penn's in the past, but it looks like it might be gone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Columbia dental school give a majority of their acceptances to the local applicants in New York ? Or tristate area ?

Since Columbia is a private school, we do not give a majority of the acceptances to local applicants in the tri-state area. Equal opportunity for every applicant. As you can see on http://dental.columbia.edu/page/class-statistics that the class of 2017 has students from over 16 states, which is huge!

This question should probably be directed to the financial aid office. Nationally, I think the average student is expected to pay back $200,000??? Each circumstance is different.

To answer this question, we start pre-clinicals the day we step into dental school, not the second semester of second year.

Pre-clinicals start in February of your 2nd year. So for the class of 2017, they will start February 2015.

To clarify, we go into lab once a week for until your second semester of second year. Once the second semester hits, we're in lab Monday-Thursday every single day. But we are constantly doing work and improving our hand skills.

One of the interviewees on my interview date asked if Columbia gave out merit-based scholarships and the financial aid guy didn't seem to think so. I heard that Columbia used to have a Dean's Scholarship similar to Penn's in the past, but it looks like it might be gone.

We still give scholarships and stipends, though. There are opportunities in school that you can take advantage of.

Does Columbia heavily favor students who have a lot of research experience?

Can you tell me anything about columbia's summer pre-dental program?

Does Columbia heavily favor students who have a lot of research experience?

I would not say "heavily". I don't think most dental schools "heavily" favor students who have a lot of research experience. It's certainly a plus and Columbia has tons of research opportunities here. But I wouldn't there is any "favor". The admissions process is very variable but generally speaking, do well on your DAT and have a decent GPA.

Can you tell me anything about columbia's summer pre-dental program?

Are you referring to the SMDEP program?

Are you referring to the SMDEP program?[/quote]

Yes!

If accepted to Columbia, what are the contingencies of your GPA and classes for grades as far as retaining your acceptance (What grade(s) or semester GPA will get your acceptance rescinded?)

When does columbia usually send rejections?

First Monday of December, like any other school. Post-December? That depends.

If accepted to Columbia, what are the contingencies of your GPA and classes for grades as far as retaining your acceptance (What grade(s) or semester GPA will get your acceptance rescinded?)

I believe you submit/update your AADSAS after your first semester or so. As long as you don't fail the course, I think you'll be in good shape.

How would you describe Columbia culture? Specifically, how would you describe the culture of the dental program?

How would you describe Columbia culture? Specifically, how would you describe the culture of the dental program?

At Columbia, despite being an Ivy League institution, we lack the cutthroat competition that I'm sure everyone thinks we have. We have a very supportive and collaborative network of peers, colleagues, and professors. Because we have a relatively small class of 80 (which is the perfect amount), we're really a close-knit family. I really enjoy and love my time at Columbia especially for that reason. You want to be at a dental school where you'll have the most fun and our class compositions have been second to none. I'm sure the students can vouch for that statement, too.

We always have upperclassmen helping underclassmen in classes, in pre-clinic--you name it, they'll do it. Our class has a class dropbox and our classmates always share their study guides, resources, etc. In addition to what the class shares among themselves, we also have resources that have been passed down to us from prior years to aid us in our studies. There's something to be said about our student body's care towards mutual success. We even have professors and doctors who take time our of their own schedule from practice to assist in the preclinic and in the clinic!

Does this answer your question?

At Columbia, despite being an Ivy League institution, we lack the cutthroat competition that I'm sure everyone thinks we have. We have a very supportive and collaborative network of peers, colleagues, and professors. Because we have a relatively small class of 80 (which is the perfect amount), we're really a close-knit family. I really enjoy and love my time at Columbia especially for that reason. You want to be at a dental school where you'll have the most fun and our class compositions have been second to none. I'm sure the students can vouch for that statement, too.

We always have upperclassmen helping underclassmen in classes, in pre-clinic--you name it, they'll do it. Our class has a class dropbox and our classmates always share their study guides, resources, etc. In addition to what the class shares among themselves, we also have resources that have been passed down to us from prior years to aid us in our studies. There's something to be said about our student body's care towards mutual success. We even have professors and doctors who take time our of their own schedule from practice to assist in the preclinic and in the clinic!

Does this answer your question?

Yes it does! The supportive culture sounds great.. Maybe I will be there one day!

Have a good weekend.

Are the interviews still held in the conference room?
hu11g.jpg

Could you describe the medical school curriculum? What are some of its pros and cons? What do you enjoy about it? Also how was your pr-clinical experience? Were your preclinical professors nice and helpful, or mean?

Could you describe the medical school curriculum? What are some of its pros and cons? What do you enjoy about it? Also how was your pr-clinical experience? Were your preclinical professors nice and helpful, or mean?

Thanks for the question.

In the first three semesters of your academic career at dental school, you will be taking classes with the medical school curriculum, meaning it's designed in a block-system. As opposed to taking biochemistry for the entire semester, we complete biochemistry within a month and take a final on that before we move on to the next "block"/class, which in our case is medical histology/pathology. The very first semester of dental school is molecular-based; the second semester is organ-based, in which we learn about the organs in blocks, such as cardiology, pulmonary, endocrinology, renal, etc. In the first semester of second year, you continue with the organ-based learning.

PROS: You learn a lot, that certainly goes without saying. You're essentially on the same level as a medical doctor. As prospective dentists, it's imperative for us to understand medications that patients are taking and their contraindications and I believe Columbia provides us with that education.
CONS: On top of the medical school curriculum, we have our own dental school curriculum to take care of. It's certainly a lot of work but over time it's definitely manageable. It's a huge transition from what you're used to in your undergraduate career. It's simply the sheer amount of information that we have to know in a short period of time.

Preclinical experience: Phenomenal. The pre-clinical professors are so approachable, so kind, so humorous and you're sure to have a great time. Some of them are practicing dentists who take time out of their own practice to come in and help for a few hours a week. Some are part-time; some are full-time. Overall, my personal experience in pre-clinic is second to none.

Last edited:
How many weeks are spent in the pre-clinic, and what year/semester does pre-clinic training begin and end? How many hours are spent in the pre-clinic class, and how many hours do you have to spend after classes completing assignments? Thanks for your speedy replies.

How many weeks are spent in the pre-clinic, and what year/semester does pre-clinic training begin and end? How many hours are spent in the pre-clinic class, and how many hours do you have to spend after classes completing assignments? Thanks for your speedy replies.

You're in pre-clinic the week you start dental school until the end of your second year for four hours a week. Very soon after, you'll be crossing over to the clinic floors after the clinician ceremony. In regards to completing assignments, it depends on the student. Some students are naturally good in pre-clinic; others may have a harder time and need to dedicate more time outside of pre-clinic sessions to complete projects.

Bump.

I know December 2nd is right around the corner and I just wanted to let you know that if you need any assistance in selecting schools, I am more than happy to answer any questions that you may have to help you decide why Columbia University College of Dental Medicine is the right fit for you.

Reactions: 1 user
I live in California and just scheduled an interview at NYU for late november. I applied 5th batch and still haven't heard anything from Columbia. I'd obviously like to get through both interviews (if invited to Columbia) on the same trip, and was wondering if there would be any benefit to letting Columbia know I'd be in the area. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Was there an update about this? I'm actually in the exact situation and would love to hear how this panned out. Also sent you a PM! :)

Is there a good chance of receiving interviews for columbia post december?
I know some schools give out much more offer to those who interviewed pre-dec that they have almost no seat left for post dec.

And what do you recommend for those waiting for interviews. Just wait? or be pro active in any way?

Lastly, do you know how many they interviewed so far?

Thank you in advance

I would say there is still a good chance of receiving an interview post-December. I, myself, was a post-December interviewee and here I am now! To debunk the myth, Columbia always has seats for post-December interviewees, so you can imply that we don't fill the class entirely.

I would wait for an invite, each application has been reviewed thoroughly, I promise you that. However, if there is any additional stuff you want to add to your application, you should email it so it can be added.

I don't know the exact number, by the end of this week, I estimate 150.

Was there an update about this? I'm actually in the exact situation and would love to hear how this panned out. Also sent you a PM! :)

Hey, I didn't get the PM but I definitely suggest calling the admissions office to see if it's possible to squeeze an interview in. Call them tomorrow!

I would say there is still a good chance of receiving an interview post-December. I, myself, was a post-December interviewee and here I am now! To debunk the myth, Columbia always has seats for post-December interviewees, so you can imply that we don't fill the class entirely.

I would wait for an invite, each application has been reviewed thoroughly, I promise you that. However, if there is any additional stuff you want to add to your application, you should email it so it can be added.

I don't know the exact number, by the end of this week, I estimate 150.

Hey, I didn't get the PM but I definitely suggest calling the admissions office to see if it's possible to squeeze an interview in. Call them tomorrow!

Hi there,

I am a Canadian applicant and recently applied to Columbia. I have paid the supplementary fee as well. The only information that I am still waiting on is my Canadian DAT score which I wrote in November. Because the scores will take 6-8 weeks to be sent to Columbia from the CDA, do you know if my application will not be reviewed until I have a complete application? How late are acceptances given?

Thanks,

Amanda

Hi there,

I am a Canadian applicant and recently applied to Columbia. I have paid the supplementary fee as well. The only information that I am still waiting on is my Canadian DAT score which I wrote in November. Because the scores will take 6-8 weeks to be sent to Columbia from the CDA, do you know if my application will not be reviewed until I have a complete application? How late are acceptances given?

Thanks,

Amanda

Hey there, so in regards to your situation, I would suggest calling the admissions office to see if they can accept an unofficial copy of your scores. But right now, your application most likely will not be reviewed until you have a complete application.

Interviews this cycle end 2/21/2014. Still a lot of time! How late are they given? Pretty late, might inch into March

BUMP!

December 2nd is less than a week away! Best wishes and have a toothsome Thanksgiving! (No pun intended :) )

Reactions: 1 user
No stop :stop: you had every intention to make that pun.

Best or worst Thanksgiving break, we shall find out.

Best of luck to you all tomorrow! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Reactions: 2 users
When do you think Columbia will send their next set of interviews? My AADSAS has been updated for about 2 months saying they have been reviewing my application.

When do you think Columbia will send their next set of interviews? My AADSAS has been updated for about 2 months saying they have been reviewing my application.

Interviews will run until 2/21/2014. I'm not sure when they'll send their next set of interviews but I'm pretty sure they sent out invites for post-December. Why don't you give the office a call? For all I know, you have solid DATs.

Question:

If an applicant has a family member that is a dentist, how does that effect the applicant when he or she is applying to Columbia university ?

Well I don't think it'll affect the applicant at all when he/she is applying to Columbia University. We're not biased in that sense. We see the applicant as a whole.

Bump!

I'm here to answer any questions that you may have in regards to your application and your decision to choose Columbia!

You wouldn't happen to know when the next round of acceptances go out would ya? :)

What makes Columbia stand out over its 2 ivy league brethren?