ASDA at Columbia University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
how important are extracurriculars, recommendation letters, personal statement (pretty much everything except DAT and GPA) compared to DAT scores and GPAs?
Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I have letter from my two academic advisors (major advisor and prehealth advisor). They both contributed to the content of the letter and are interested in signing off on it together. But we're wondering if that's allowed. Does it look bad if a letter is written by more than one person if it's not a committee letter?

Can anyone tell me my chance of getting an interview with Columbia? I have a good DAT score (24 AA and 22 PAT) but not so hot GPA (3.3 sGPA and oGPA) with a good upward trend. Also, I only have 2 science LOE right now and the website says 3 sci LOE is required. Am I still gonna be considered my the Adcom for an interview?

Thanks everyone!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When I applied, I didn't have 3 sci LOE...I only had 2 and it didn't really hurt me that much. ECs are somewhat important. I feel like that's maybe what made me stand out. Obviously they will look at your DAT and GPAs first.

how important are extracurriculars, recommendation letters, personal statement (pretty much everything except DAT and GPA) compared to DAT scores and GPAs?
Thank you in advance.
Everything is looked at at our institution. Sure DAT and GPA matter but every school looks at that. Overall, it's important to see your passion and dedication to the profession. Every application is thoroughly reviewed so there is no way to quantify how important those factors are. They're all very important. We have a class of 80 so we're pretty selective in the students that will comprise the incoming class.

I have letter from my two academic advisors (major advisor and prehealth advisor). They both contributed to the content of the letter and are interested in signing off on it together. But we're wondering if that's allowed. Does it look bad if a letter is written by more than one person if it's not a committee letter?
In my opinion, I don't see anything wrong with this since you had nothing to do with it, although it is unique to see two people contribute to one letter when they both could have written one independently...

Can anyone tell me my chance of getting an interview with Columbia? I have a good DAT score (24 AA and 22 PAT) but not so hot GPA (3.3 sGPA and oGPA) with a good upward trend. Also, I only have 2 science LOE right now and the website says 3 sci LOE is required. Am I still gonna be considered my the Adcom for an interview?

Thanks everyone!!!!
I can't chance you but check where your stats stand at Columbia. I cannot stress enough that the statistics that are shown on the website is just an AVERAGE. As you probably know, averages do not determine the cutoff, a score that does not exist at our institution. We look at applicants comprehensively and not just by numbers.

Reactions: 1 users
Question about URM

Do Hispanic-white individuals fall under the URM category?

I read on the website that 3 science LOEs are required. If I currently have 2 science LOEs, 1 from a dentist, and 1 from my psychology PI, will Columbia still consider me for an interview? Thanks!

I read on the website that 3 science LOEs are required. If I currently have 2 science LOEs, 1 from a dentist, and 1 from my psychology PI, will Columbia still consider me for an interview? Thanks!

I don't think the dentist counts as a science LOE. Unless that dentist taught you in a class. So, in your case, I think you only have 1 science LOE. You should call admissions and ask them. They waive that requirement depending on the situation. I had 2 science LOE and they accepted it.

Question about URM

well, I don't see why not. I don't think they make a difference in the type of Hispanic...I really have no idea.

I don't think the dentist counts as a science LOE. Unless that dentist taught you in a class. So, in your case, I think you only have 1 science LOE. You should call admissions and ask them. They waive that requirement depending on the situation. I had 2 science LOE and they accepted it.

Sorry, I meant I have 4 letters in total - 2 science LOEs, 1 from a dentist, and 1 from my psychology PI. I've tried calling the school, but I haven't gotten a response back yet. Would the psychology letter count as a 3rd?

Sorry, I meant I have 4 letters in total - 2 science LOEs, 1 from a dentist, and 1 from my psychology PI. I've tried calling the school, but I haven't gotten a response back yet. Would the psychology letter count as a 3rd?
I think it could work. Sorry for misunderstanding you. Yea...that could definitely work

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be living off campus sharing an apartment with my fiancee(my rent is free since my future inlaws own the apartment)...However, from what I've seen in the facebook group, rent around washington heights seem to be going for around $1300 to $1500 per month. If you stay in the dorms, it will cost you around $950, but you will have 3 other roomates.

Hey SDNers!

I'm from the Pre-Dental Committee of ASDA at Columbia University College of Dental Medicine and I'm here to answer any questions that you may have regarding the DAT, grades, application process, interviewing, etc. I understand that getting to dental school is a formidable stride so I'm here to lend you a hand. I can gear my perspectives specifically from the eyes of Columbia, or I can answer any general questions that you may have.

It would be great if you could post any questions, concerns, and/or comments here so I don't have to go rummaging through threads to see if I forgot to respond to someone. I will also act as floaters, answering any relevant questions from current threads to make your lives easier. :)

In addition, feel free to PM me!!! :thumbup:

Edit: If you have any questions about our medical school curriculum, our clinical experiences, our grading scheme etc, we can answer that on top of your questions on admissions.

Is a Hispanic-white individual considered URM?

I will be living off campus sharing an apartment with my fiancee(my rent is free since my future inlaws own the apartment)...However, from what I've seen in the facebook group, rent around washington heights seem to be going for around $1300 to $1500 per month. If you stay in the dorms, it will cost you around $950, but you will have 3 other roomates.
Woah. I am super late on this. You decided on Columbia?!

Woah. I am super late on this. You decided on Columbia?!
yea man...it was actually a pretty tough decision. The numbers worked out ok. Together, we would have saved about 60,000 combined by heading to Texas. I probably would have chosen Texas, but Columbia has always been her dream school for medicine and her parents did own an apartment in the area that they were willing to give us for free...so we made the decision to head up north.

yea man...it was actually a pretty tough decision. The numbers worked out ok. Together, we would have saved about 60,000 combined by heading to Texas. I probably would have chosen Texas, but Columbia has always been her dream school for medicine and her parents did own an apartment in the area that they were willing to give us for free...so we made the decision to head up north.
That's awesome! Pretty sweet deal with the in-laws having an apartment in NYC. Best of luck over there!

That's awesome! Pretty sweet deal with the in-laws having an apartment in NYC. Best of luck over there!
Thank you...I can't say that I'm not nervous, but good luck to you as well in Boston

Let me get some tissues, I'm building up a tear with these posts.

Question about URM

In my opinion, I think they would because like other people have said, I don't think they distinguish you as a different kind of Hispanic. Although, I'm not too sure on how or who they consider to be URM.

That should be fine, I wouldn't worry about it. It depends on the situation. Definitely apply with what you have, though.

What's the situation with rent and living expenses at Columbia?
Thanks.

There are some options. One of which is to dorm, which priority is given to those who live away from NY. Another option is to live off-campus, which means you don't live on the campus dorms. I live an avenue away from school but I'm considered "off-campus". In regards to the pricing, it's definitely more affordable to live up here as opposed to anywhere downtown. However, depending on how luxurious you want your apartment to be, that can also be costly. I personally am a minimalist so as long as I have a bed, desk, and food, then I'm fine so I'm paying near to nothing relative to my fellow classmates (~$670 for my own bedroom). Living in the dorms, again depends on the lifestyle you want, averages to around $850~$900. It has its own perks though, but so does living off-campus. That's a decision you have to make.

Reactions: 3 users

Typically when does Columbia start sending early invites? From what I gather from previous threads it tends to be Mid August to end of September.

Also, do they tend to accept students with early invites moreso than late invites?

Typically when does Columbia start sending early invites? From what I gather from previous threads it tends to be Mid August to end of September.

Also, do they tend to accept students with early invites moreso than late invites?

Columbia is still in the process of reviewing applications but I expect invitations to be sent out soon.

In regards to acceptance, Columbia reviews every applicant inside and out regardless of when you apply. However, like most, if not all, dental schools, the earlier you apply, the higher the chances of you getting an invitation for an interview. That in of itself is critical. So, your acceptance is determined by your interview and your application, not on how early you apply.

Hi, when do you think interview invites will start this cycle?

I think sometimes in September. If I remember correctly, I believe that is when most of us first heard

Invites will be sent out very, very shortly. First round of interviews start September 5th.

I thought they were already sent out couple hours ago. Someone already posted that they got an invite

Best of luck with interviews! Like always, feel free to ask any questions you'd like here.

They'll consistently invite you over the course of the application cycle.

The last invite Columbia sent was on 8/20. Its been over two weeks, do you know when they will start sending out more invites?

The last invite Columbia sent was on 8/20. Its been over two weeks, do you know when they will start sending out more invites?

Columbia is constantly reviewing applications and sending invitations for interviews. There is a high volume of interest this application cycle so we are trying our best to cater to applicants' needs in a timely manner.

Im just going to assume that Columbia will contact me if they need additional stuff for my application? That's what the under review email I got on 7/18 said to do.

how's housing around columbia dental? Any safe apartments within 5~10 minutes that are affordable??
I know getting in is the first thing, but still curious as to how the neighborhood looks like right outside of the harlem.

Can you give a little information/experience about interviewees being hosted by current CDM students?

Im just going to assume that Columbia will contact me if they need additional stuff for my application? That's what the under review email I got on 7/18 said to do.
Correct!

how's housing around columbia dental? Any safe apartments within 5~10 minutes that are affordable??
I know getting in is the first thing, but still curious as to how the neighborhood looks like right outside of the harlem.
Well, the school isn't in Harlem. It's in Washington Heights--they're two different neighborhoods. I live three avenues away from the school and it's incredibly more affordable, comparatively speaking. It's really up to you.

Can you give a little information/experience about interviewees being hosted by current CDM students?
From what I know, all the interviewees have had an amazing time being hosted by current CDM students. I'm not sure what information you're trying to obtain here. If you can clarify that, I can answer to the best of my ability.

How rigorous is the curriulum here as opposed to other dental schools (I know this may be a difficult quesion to answer as you only have experience with Columbia!). Is it difficult to succeed because everyone is highly ambitious? I'm trying to decide between my state school and Columbia and an ivy league can be intimidating, so I just wanted to get your take on it. Thanks!