ashamed...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiring20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated from college this spring, but I won't be applying until June, 2014. I need all this time to raise my GPA, take the MCAT, and improve every aspect of my application.

And even if I get in first time, I would start MS1 while my college classmates are starting MS4. I feel so ashamed everytime I think about this. I know that a lot of people take gap years and what not, but I just can't get over the fact that so many of my peers were able to apply at the end of junior year and be able to start med school right after undergrad. I was an art major during undergrad because that was my passion and I am very good at it. I spent a lot of time in the major, and wasn't able to dedicate enough resources getting my application ready by June of my junior year. If I can do it again, I would have picked a bio major and just be like everyone else.

If i matriculate to medical schools in 2015, I would be 25 (26 in September of 2015). I was at a medical school's website today and saw that the overwhelming majority of its incoming class were 22-23 year old. It was painful.

I've heard that med schools separate applications into two pools: the traditional applicants that applied at the end of junior year and the non-traditional applicants - everyone who had to take time off. I know that many people have discussed the benefits and drawbacks of being a non-trad...but I can't get rid of the shame and regret that's in me.

But this is what I want above all else...and late is better than never.

Right now, my greatest fear is that I don't get in during the 2014-2015 cycle and will have to reply. This means I'll have to take the NEW MCAT offered in 2015. I don't want to imagine such a scenario.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone needs a good venting sesh every now and then. Keep your head up and don't compare yourself to anyone else. Miley Cyrus said it best, "it ain't about how fast I get there!" haha good luck

There's no shame in it. If all goes according to plan for me, I'll be 25 when I go to med school as well. The reason being, same as you my application was not ready yet, plus I had personal home issues to deal with. I say get a job at a hospital, make contacts and try to get your resume ready. Personally I wouldn't have wanted to go to med school at such a young age, but that's just me. I know plenty of people who aren't going into med school until they turned 24-25. I know more people who took 1-2 years off to people who didn't. And all the people I know who actually took time off, got IN to med school. At the end of your life when your 85, are you really going to look back and say "man I wish i practiced medicine for 1 more year"?

And even if I get in first time, I would start MS1 while my college classmates are starting MS4. I feel so ashamed everytime I think about this.

Don't compare yourself to others. Everything you do in life is relative to YOU. Chances are you will lose contact with these people anyway...so it wont matter in a year or two.

If i matriculate to medical schools in 2015, I would be 25 (26 in September of 2015). I was at a medical school's website today and saw that the overwhelming majority of its incoming class were 22-23 year old. It was painful.

25/26 is still young to start med school. I know 25 seems really really old right now, but trust me when I say its still so incredibly young. You will probably look back and laugh about worrying over being "too old" at 25 to start medical school when some of your classmates are 40+

Again, I would hardly call 25 years old late!

Right now, my greatest fear is that I don't get in during the 2014-2015 cycle and will have to reply. This means I'll have to take the NEW MCAT offered in 2015. I don't want to imagine such a scenario.

Reapplication is not the end of the world. I think your MCAT is still valid for three years regardless of which test it is. I could be completely wrong about that, as I have not looked into it, so someone please correct me if I am.

I'll be matriculating this fall at 26. Whatever though, those years of experience outside of school gives you a level of maturity and dedication that people coming straight from undergrad don't really have. If you had the same stats applying now as opposed to 2-3 years in the future, I can guarantee you that the experiences you earn in that time off will get you into better med schools. There is zero chance I would've gotten into the school I did without taking those years off between undergrad, postbac and med school.

Some people just discover their passions later on in life, so what, who cares.

there's no shame in it. If all goes according to plan for me, i'll be 25 when i go to med school as well. The reason being, same as you my application was not ready yet, plus i had personal home issues to deal with. I say get a job at a hospital, make contacts and try to get your resume ready. Personally i wouldn't have wanted to go to med school at such a young age, but that's just me. I know plenty of people who aren't going into med school until they turned 24-25. I know more people who took 1-2 years off to people who didn't. And all the people i know who actually took time off, got in to med school. at the end of your life when your 85, are you really going to look back and say "man i wish i practiced medicine for 1 more year"?

+1

go to an obscure school in the caribbean. This would prevent the possibility to seeing any of your old MS4 friends.

17018607.jpg

Come over to the nontrad forum and you'll feel young again :) I'll be 30 when I finally start this year.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

everyone needs a good venting sesh every now and then. Keep your head up and don't compare yourself to anyone else. Miley cyrus said it best, "it ain't about how fast i get there!" haha good luck

it's all about the climbbbb!!! Keep on movin' baby yeahhhh

What the hell? Since when was 25 even "old" to go to medical school? Stop worrying about everyone else's age man, worry about yourself instead. Stop trying to rush into things, take your time and try to enjoy your life before you lose it to medical school lol.

Lemme ask you this, is it better to go to medical school 10 years later..or never at all? Keep your head up man.

Members don't see this ad :)
Relax. Life is a journey. Enjoy your ride around the sun, because you only get a few trips before it's over.

I didn't start medical school 'til my 30's. All of my undergrad friends that went to medical school had completed their fellowships before I even started. No biggie.

Everyone needs a good venting sesh every now and then. Keep your head up and don't compare yourself to anyone else. Miley Cyrus said it best, "it ain't about how fast I get there!" haha good luck

quoting Miley Cyrus of all people:laugh:

I'll just reiterate what everyone else has said so far. I know you must feel like your classmates are moving forward while you're stuck in a rut. Slow down, take a breath. This feeling will pass. Take this time to your advantage to not only improve your application, but focus on yourself. Work, travel, volunteer and grow as a person. Once you do start medical school, there will be little freedom left and you'll look back in envy of the years you had off.

I just graduated from college this spring, but I won't be applying until June, 2014. I need all this time to raise my GPA, take the MCAT, and improve every aspect of my application.

And even if I get in first time, I would start MS1 while my college classmates are starting MS4. I feel so ashamed everytime I think about this. I know that a lot of people take gap years and what not, but I just can't get over the fact that so many of my peers were able to apply at the end of junior year and be able to start med school right after undergrad. I was an art major during undergrad because that was my passion and I am very good at it. I spent a lot of time in the major, and wasn't able to dedicate enough resources getting my application ready by June of my junior year. If I can do it again, I would have picked a bio major and just be like everyone else.

I've heard that med schools separate applications into two pools: the traditional applicants that applied at the end of junior year and the non-traditional applicants - everyone who had to take time off. I know that many people have discussed the benefits and drawbacks of being a non-trad...but I can't get rid of the shame and regret that's in me.

You have nothing to be ashamed of. Keep working hard, by the time you realize it, the time will have passed by. And, trust me there will be many people older than you. Try and think of this in a positive way: you have even more time to make yourself an out-sanding applicant. Stay strong! :)

hahaa, I'm currently 26 and my app probably won't be ready until I'm around 28. Your thread is making me feel very old. Stop that. :)

I feel the same way you do.

Most of my close friends have entered medical school and I feel "left behind." But once you realize that all this is is one big insecurity, I think it'll make you feel a lot better. I feel like they're more accomplished than me. But in reality, I didn't choose to be Pre Med until after I graduated. Who cares how old you are? You're one year over the average age. Not a big deal bro.

There are many people who have spent 10+ yrs between undergrad and med school. You are in good shape - don't worry and just make sure you spend the time before going to med school wisely - life experiences, etc.

Provided I get accepted this cycle, I'll almost be 25 when I start classes next year. At 22, fresh out of college, I was still a child. If I had went straight on to medical school, who knows how I'd be holding up right now.

All the clinical experience I'm getting working as a CNA will help me immensely when I'm a doctor. My people skills have improved tremendously. I've also developed a strong stomach and positive coping skills for stress.

Hitting the gym 4-5 days a week has helped keep me sane as well as lose a ton of weight. Since graduation last year, I've lost over 50 lbs. I'm hoping to have six-pack abs by next August :xf:. These 2 gap years may have added 10+ years to my life.

Man, I really needed this thread

Everyone has a unique life or we just end up like robots. Where is the fun in that?
I think that is why a lot of schools look for unique candidates and are favouring older applicants with more interesting backgrounds.

Make stupid mistakes while you are young or you just be too old to make them.

hahaa, I'm currently 26 and my app probably won't be ready until I'm around 28. Your thread is making me feel very old. Stop that. :)

Same here, only I hope to apply at 27. :)

The thing is with me, I avoided sciences in high school, realized I liked biology at college, spent years trying to "catch up" to the pre-req level and now I'm spending the last two years working on a microbiology degree.:love: I got over the fact that classmates got to places faster than me. So chin up and don't compare yourself to other people.

Seriously, there is nothing to be ashamed of here. If nothing else, you'll have learned to function like an adult in contrast to certain med school classmates of mine who have issues cooking a meal for themselves and budgeting ahead (very important if you're on loans) in order to pay bills on time because they've never been outside of the bubble of student life.

...still confused as to what you're "ashamed" about..

I'll be starting M1 in August and most of my college friends are beginning M3 and M4 rotations. But you know what, I had an incredible 1.5 years off with NO classes in between completing my post-bacc and starting medical school. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

If you're worried about people in your med school class being younger than you, don't be. There will be a large number your age. There are also some medical schools that value life experience and accept a lot of non-trads (Columbia and University of Colorado come to mind).

Also, med schools don't split applications into "traditional" and "non-traditional" applicants. All parts of your applications are considered.

I'm in a similar situation and to be honest I felt that way too coming out of college. And in some ways I still do. I I messed around too much and wasted a lot of time feeling sorry for myself whenever I got another round of bad grades. Yet my friends who partied harder and seemed to study less were getting multiple acceptances. comparing yourself to others is a vicious cycle and it will basically just lead to self destruction.

A doctor who had a low undergraduate gpa told me that he didn't start to succeed academically until he became okay with himself and stopped beating himself down all the time. He said that if you go into every situation believing you will fail or that whatever you do is not good enough, then you probably will inadvertently cause your own failure.

I have spent the last year rebuilding my gpa and will be going to an smp next year to try and have a shot of accomplishing my dream. If all goes well ill matricuate when my friends are 3rd years. If it doesn't work out then ill apply again next year. If this is your dream then bury your shame and get back on the path. Work hard, don't worry about others, and keep walking forward. I'm sure you'll make it.

Sent from my Triumph using SDN Mobile

Some people don't get in until they're 40. Enjoy the journey, the destination will come soon enough.