ashley salter from bachelor season 19

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Over9000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
have any of you seen the behavior of ashley salter on the most recent season of the bachelor. assuming its not an act, what do all think might be going on there?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend who watches this show mentioned it to me. I think she's acting.

What I don't like in particular are the other contestants laughing and making fun of her.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So you're wondering what might be going on with an individual who is a contestant on a show where 30(ish?) girls compete for the chance to marry someone they've never met or heard of at the beginning of the contest?

Reactions: 5 users
I would be VERY careful about applying psychiatric diagnoses to real-life people based on their behavior on a television show. If you want to talk about her as a fan, have at it on any of a number of message boards dedicated to reality television. But coming to a psych forum and engaging psychiatrists and psychiatrists in training to label her is asking for trouble.

Reactions: 1 users
ogres are like onions....she's blatantly ripping off Shrek!

I think it needs to be amended for the "reality" TV era.
Basically, if you sign on to one of these shows you're essentially consenting to have your personal life dissected and commented on by anyone, regardless of professional credentials.
Personally I think the real issue is not citing the evidence from which you're drawing conclusions. We can present a ddx based on available information, identifying the limits and biases. With Goldwater there were wild jumps in logic without foundation.

My friend who watches this show mentioned it to me. I think she's acting.

What I don't like in particular are the other contestants laughing and making fun of her.

There is nothing to do on those sets but drink alcohol.
In order to get face time, you have to make fun of others.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is nothing to do on those sets but drink alcohol.
In order to get face time, you have to make fun of others.

You have to make fun of others? I think there are a variety of other ways to get face time than to make fun of others. I'm the type of person who confronts those who are being teased or talked about behind their back to help them the best I can. But that's me. I get the show is a joke and not to be taken too seriously but I get defensive when anyone that may have a mental illness is made fun of. Maybe I need to simmer down.

You have to make fun of others? I think there are a variety of other ways to get face time than to make fun of others. I'm the type of person who confronts those who are being teased or talked about behind their back to help them the best I can. But that's me. I get the show is a joke and not to be taken too seriously but I get defensive when anyone that may have a mental illness is made fun of. Maybe I need to simmer down.
Oh. Link to your reality show airtime?

Maybe that's why I don't want reality tv! I only watch movies, CNN, and food-network and House of Cards as of late.

I haven't seen the show.

But my guess is that they do a lot of work finding exactly who they want to be on that show. So, if she's acting, they probably knew she was acting and didn't discourage it (a la Jerry Springer and Judge Judy—I know someone who went on the former just to get a paid trip and be put up in a hotel and came up with a story for the show). If she's mentally ill, I wouldn't doubt that they have psychiatrists who work with the contestants before going on the air and know exactly what's going on with her. I would guess that they're worried about liabilities. Just as on those weight-loss shows they have doctors vetting everything, I would guess they have people who vet the mental health of these contestants.

If anyone truly knows what her situation is, I'm guessing it's the producers of the show. If they don't, it seems like it's a liability for them since it's in such broad view. On the other hand, watching someone have mental disorganization (or whatever was happening in the above video) isn't pleasant—I find it upsetting and unnerving personally that they would show that instead of cutting the video and getting her help, so maybe they don't know what they're doing. I don't know what the show is normally like, but that clip was more cringe-worthy than salacious.

Let's have a chai together.
It's all about ratings.
All of it.

I haven't seen the show.

But my guess is that they do a lot of work finding exactly who they want to be on that show. So, if she's acting, they probably knew she was acting and didn't discourage it (a la Jerry Springer and Judge Judy—I know someone who went on the former just to get a paid trip and be put up in a hotel and came up with a story for the show). If she's mentally ill, I wouldn't doubt that they have psychiatrists who work with the contestants before going on the air and know exactly what's going on with her. I would guess that they're worried about liabilities. Just as on those weight-loss shows they have doctors vetting everything, I would guess they have people who vet the mental health of these contestants.

If anyone truly knows what her situation is, I'm guessing it's the producers of the show. If they don't, it seems like it's a liability for them since it's in such broad view. On the other hand, watching someone have mental disorganization (or whatever was happening in the above video) isn't pleasant—I find it upsetting and unnerving personally that they would show that instead of cutting the video and getting her help, so maybe they don't know what they're doing. I don't know what the show is normally like, but that clip was more cringe-worthy than salacious.
It's important to be remembered.
Remember Ms. New York on Flava of Love? She got her own spin off show and became famous.
She hadn't even won.

And it's working.
Even on SDN in the psychiatry forum we are discussing this young woman.
Bleck.
Who wants to feed these silly shows?

And it's working.
Even on SDN in the psychiatry forum we are discussing this young woman.
Bleck.
Who wants to feed these silly shows?

Why
do
you
Write
In this
style?

oh she's definitely acting in my opinion, its painful to watch because she's doing such a horrible job. but i don't find anything wrong with other contestants laughing at her. humor is a defense mechanism after all isn't it?

I refuse to watch crap like this.