ASHP textbook recalled

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

297point1

Breaking kayfabe
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not a good week- first the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 gets shelved for good, and now ASHP has issued a recall for one of their textbooks: Fundamentals of Geriatric Pharmacotherapy, 2nd Ed.

There is a big red banner on the front of ashp.org announcing it- it looks like a hurricane warning.

Why the recall? It seems the Cockcroft-Gault equation in the textbook was wrong. Yeah, that's kind of important...
http://www.ashp.org/DocLibrary/News...ls-of-Geriatric-Pharmacotherapy-Second-ed.pdf

I have never seen anything like this happen before. Corrections are issued all of the time in medical literature (including textbooks), but a full recall and instructions to send the book back? Wow. Someone is going to have to pay for all of these extra incurred costs, and I suspect it won't be the authors or book editors. ASHP members: expect a membership price jump when it is time to renew!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder if the revised 2nd edition would count as two publications rather than one for the academic CV?

Not sexy to say, it won't be a problem. That's what E&O is for, and the General Re policy was invoked. It just means that ASHP's publishing premium goes up, and the managing editor and possibly others lose their royalty. No big deal.

Turns out that there is a legal precedent for bad information in medical literature for that reason too. However, how much do you want to bet that a resident really wrote this and the preceptor submitted it as is without really checking.

http://pharmcollege.uams.edu/about/contact-us/directory/faculty-member-lisa-hutchison/

I suppose though that if someone's wanting to be a real jerk, they could bring it up with the licensing board as a professional competence matter as writing is considered within the bounds of regulated activity.

Jokes aside, that sucks for the ASHP professional staff. It's a basic editing error, but it clearly went through at least four checks and none of them got it, which means that there are probably going to be changes at the publishing division soon.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Good grief, didn't they just issue a recall on the drug dosing in obesity book? Wtf is going on at ASHP?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Good grief, didn't they just issue a recall on the drug dosing in obesity book? Wtf is going on at ASHP?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Oh, that's right. Guess ASHP is working on modeling itself after a medical journal. Problem is that it's Lancet not NEJM.

Maybe the majority of sales were ebooks, so the recall cost is minimal overall?