Asian in rural practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

punkedoutriffs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering if the fact that I'm Asian(east oriental) might affect my capability to either start or buy a rural practice in a small town. I know this probably varies by region, but I imagine there's plenty of small towns where people might not be used to Asians and so I might have more trouble gaining their trust or something. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

even small towns have a lot of dentist 9 I lived in a town of 8000 and there was 3-4 dental offices)

But I don't think being Asian will hurt. But it does depend on where u go. What region are you thinking about going it? Also is there is big city close by? That will all affect the answer

I'm really not sure as to what region. I just have a vague idea at this point that I'd enjoy the misty mountains and shimmering streams over the urban hustle. I guess you can't really give an answer to something that ambiguous...

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to get out more. As long as you know how to talk to people and have self confidence you can go anywhere. I think it may be the other way around, sounds like you have fears about people from rural parts of this country. People in rural places don't care.

That's the good thing about being a health professional as opposed to an investment banker. Your background and connections play less of a factor in your success. You can be in a heavy asian populated area like southern california, and if you don't have professionalism or skills, nobody will trust you.

You need to get out more. As long as you know how to talk to people and have self confidence you can go anywhere. I think it may be the other way around, sounds like you have fears about people from rural parts of this country. People in rural places don't care.

That's the good thing about being a health professional as opposed to an investment banker. Your background and connections play less of a factor in your success. You can be in a heavy asian populated area like southern california, and if you don't have professionalism or skills, nobody will trust you.

Well sure, that has some merit, but at the same time, I have heard stories of Asian people being refused real estate contracts because the community had wanted to keep the racial makeup entirely white. I'm not clueless about people, but at the same time, America has diverse opinions, and not everyone is as meritorious and progressive as you.

Well sure, that has some merit, but at the same time, I have heard stories of Asian people being refused real estate contracts because the community had wanted to keep the racial makeup entirely white. I'm not clueless about people, but at the same time, America has diverse opinions, and not everyone is as meritorious and progressive as you.

Your right, I have heard of asian people and businesses being refused real estate contracts and licenses. Exp: I know the owner of a big asian supermarket chain in southern california. He was denied permission to set up a shop in Irvine, Ca, because the city board didn't want an asian supermarket in the area. I can see why the board did that, they want to keep a certain image of the city. WholeFoods vs asian supermarket - each projects a completely different image. Home values are affected by that.

Yea, that's reality, but if a community is foolish enough to deny an addition of a health professional, it's their loss. You shouldn't let that scare you into quitting. You're very cynical, and believe in the worst of people. If rural people seem like they want nothing to do with you, it's because they're scared of you. Your different. Be the bigger man, and reach out. Show that they have nothing to fear, by giving them quality care.

whether u believe it or not. i'm actually helping you. teaching u a life lesson.

say thank you.

how can you label him as cynical from reading one post?

he has a valid point. if some people are racist enough to refuse a business license to someone of dif race just for the sake of the town's "image," then they're most likely not going to go a heatlcare professional outside of their own race unless there's only one in town.

lol yea ..great life lesson.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
how can you label him as cynical from reading one post?

he has a valid point. if some people are racist enough to refuse a business license to someone of dif race just for the sake of the town's "image," then they're most likely not going to go a heatlcare professional outside of their own race unless there's only one dentist in town.

lol yea ..great life lesson.. :rolleyes:

Alright, he's not cynical. He's just scared over nothing. And so are you.

People don't care what color you are as a dentist. If someone comes to you with a tooth infection so painful that they can't sleep at night. And you say, "Here I'll take care of that." They'll trust you with their kids.

Just saying don't walk around putting up barriers to different people because your afraid of being judged or targeted. As a health professional you'll need to learn to connect with different people. And you'll find out people who you think would never like you, will trust you implicitly.

I wouldn't go that far to to say that the OP is scared or that the OP doesn't have a valid point.

Where did you grow up in OP? Diverse city or rural area?

I grew up in the boonies as a minority, seriously, my town has like .2% non-white and I think my family made up the .1 percent :D and I encountered racism and couldn't wait to get to a big diverse school for college. So I can understand the OP's fear, especially if he/she is going to invest so much money and energy into a business and for what? feeling uncomfortable because he/she is Asian and people around him are racist and ignorant?

OP, i would say, there are rural areas with a large diversity. Look into those, you can search it online.

People don't care what color you are as a dentist. If someone comes to you with a tooth infection so painful that they can't sleep at night. And you say, "Here I'll take care of that." They'll trust you with their kids.

I don't doubt such things will make them trust me, but I do doubt that I can count on that to maintain a viable practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I was wondering if the fact that I'm Asian(east oriental) might affect my capability to either start or buy a rural practice in a small town. I know this probably varies by region, but I imagine there's plenty of small towns where people might not be used to Asians and so I might have more trouble gaining their trust or something. Thoughts?

I can tell you about Central Illinois "Corn Country". There are no Asian dentists that I know of --BUT--about 1/4 of the small towns around here have at least one Asian physician. These Asian doctors are LOVED and RESPECTED in their communities. For 9 years I shared an office building with two MD's from Thailand in a town of 2000+ population. I never, never heard a negative comment on these two doctors! It helped that these guys actually were great people personally as well as professionally.

I also served in the Illinois Air Guard with a Philippino MD. This guy was the only physician in two towns with a total pop. of 3000+. They loved this guy so much that when he received a military citation upon retuning from serving in Iraq they had 2000 people show up for the celebration and parade including the congressman!

I think you might find that mid-western small towns have values and character trates that are very familiar to someone growing up in a second generation Asian family. As result you will feel more at home in small town America than you realize.

I can tell you about Central Illinois "Corn Country". There are no Asian dentists that I know of --BUT--about 1/4 of the small towns around here have at least one Asian physician. These Asian doctors are LOVED and RESPECTED in their communities. For 9 years I shared an office building with two MD's from Thailand in a town of 2000+ population. I never, never heard a negative comment on these two doctors! It helped that these guys actually were great people personally as well as professionally.

I also served in the Illinois Air Guard with a Philippino MD. This guy was the only physician in two towns with a total pop. of 3000+. They loved this guy so much that when he received a military citation upon retuning from serving in Iraq they had 2000 people show up for the celebration and parade including the congressman!

I think you might find that mid-western small towns have values and character trates that are very familiar to someone growing up in a second generation Asian family. As result you will feel more at home in small town America than you realize.

This is pretty encouraging.

What kind of Asian are you? Just curious...

also here are the links I found

http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/08/real_estate/most_diverse_counties/index.htm

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-vs-city/572890-what-best-u-s-cities-asians.html

why do you want to go to a small town anyways? I see it as a hit or miss with small towns. And you need to think about other factors too. Like if it is only temporary and it pays great, maybe you should go for it, but if it is your own practice, then you may want to rethink the long term. Do you want your kids to grow up in a racist and unfriendly environment?

What kind of Asian are you? Just curious...

Do you want your kids to grow up in a racist and unfriendly environment?

I'm Chinese. Born in China, moved to US when I was 8. The environment for my children is one of the biggest things I worry about. I grew up in a relatively diverse place (Baltimore County) and I still experienced my share of racism.

Are you looking for somewhere with a strong Asian community or somewhere that will "accept" you. It's a lot harder to find the former rahter than the later...Even in some major cities you can't find a decent bowl of Ramen or a katsu meal!

Are you looking for somewhere with a strong Asian community or somewhere that will "accept" you. It's a lot harder to find the former rahter than the later...Even in some major cities you can't find a decent bowl of Ramen or a katsu meal!

The latter will suffice.

Are you serious? Shut up and stop acting like everyone is judging you all the time you little whiner. We're not living in the 50's anymore...you're a joke. Seriously. I'm a jew and I don't sit and wonder if anyone hates me b/c of my religion...stop complaining AND JUST LIVE!! :mad:

Are you serious? Shut up and stop acting like everyone is judging you all the time you little whiner. We're not living in the 50's anymore...you're a joke. Seriously. I'm a jew and I don't sit and wonder if anyone hates me b/c of my religion...stop complaining AND JUST LIVE!! :mad:

perhaps you blend in better?

i wouldn't say that racism is all gone even in these times. if you disagree, i would say you're too optimistic or haven't been around much

i was at a starbucks a few weeks ago with my gf and had this old bitter lady make rather distasteful comments about pretty much every race except hers... and btw, i wasn't eavesdropping. she was speaking loudly on purpose so that I could hear her.
was a bit shocked by this but then i figured she's wasn't worth arguing with so just left her alone to rant about her bitter life. i could care less what she thought of me.

but i do believe she is part of a shrinking minority. most people aren't that racist. treat a person with respect and most will respond back positively.

Last edited:

You have no idea what you're talking about. My friend, who is Korean, attends Iowa State University. He's one of a handful of Asians on the entire campus. Every time he goes out to a party, as soon as he enters the door, a good amount of the people will drop whatever they're doing (conversation, beer pong, etc.) and stare at him.

Hey Punkoutriffs,

I actually have the same past as you! came here from China when I was 7. And people who says that there are no more racism need to wake up. I remember arguing with someone who was white and married to an Asian woman. He kept saying there is no more racism and then I asked where he lived and he said LA. No ****, LA & California in general has more Asians anywhere in the US! besides Hawaii.

I grew up in a small ass farm town in ohio, I was pretty popular and I did sports so I wasn't ur typical asian nerd but that didn't stop hicks from driving by yelling stupid **** out the window. So I would say, go to a bigger city with more diversity, money isn't worth your kids feeling left out.

My plan personally was to do that. And if I can't find a good job, then I would work in a rural area for a while just to pay off my debt and get some money saved up. And then move to a bigger city/suburb and open up my own practice.

Hey Punkoutriffs,

I actually have the same past as you! came here from China when I was 7. And people who says that there are no more racism need to wake up. I remember arguing with someone who was white and married to an Asian woman. He kept saying there is no more racism and then I asked where he lived and he said LA. No ****, LA & California in general has more Asians anywhere in the US! besides Hawaii.

I grew up in a small ass farm town in ohio, I was pretty popular and I did sports so I wasn't ur typical asian nerd but that didn't stop hicks from driving by yelling stupid **** out the window. So I would say, go to a bigger city with more diversity, money isn't worth your kids feeling left out.

My plan personally was to do that. And if I can't find a good job, then I would work in a rural area for a while just to pay off my debt and get some money saved up. And then move to a bigger city/suburb and open up my own practice.

Haha, that's quite a coincidence. Which part of China were you originally from?

Here's another thing I'm wondering about... You're projected to be a successful dental school student/dentist. How much of your upbringing in that social environment do you think contributed to that? Because I'd rather my kids feel a little left out at the beginning and let that be an impetus for them to go on to do greater things rather than have them be the hicks driving by yelling stupid ****.

Do you think there's any merit to that thought?

I think that how you project yourself in a small town will have a lot more to do with your success than your ethnicity. I'm from a VERY small rural town in TX and there are very few minorities there, and some people would never visit an asian dentist. However, those are the minority, and most people will go to the nicest person or someone they can trust. Never underestimate the power of conversation- if you can communicate effectively, and not just about dentistry, about life, then you will be successful.

Have you ever watched a dentist? (rhetorical, no offense) My dentists probably spend 3/4 of their time talking about anything other than dentistry, and that's why people like them. There was a post here a few weeks ago about how people perceive a dentist- not by the work that was done because they really can't tell, but by their kindness, ability to communicate, and their speed. Even though speed can be detrimental to the actual procedure if done too fast or sloppy, it makes everything easier for the patient.

I don't think you would have problems as long as you market yourself as friendly and outgoing and can hold a conversation.

Haha, that's quite a coincidence. Which part of China were you originally from?

Here's another thing I'm wondering about... You're projected to be a successful dental school student/dentist. How much of your upbringing in that social environment do you think contributed to that? Because I'd rather my kids feel a little left out at the beginning and let that be an impetus for them to go on to do greater things rather than have them be the hicks driving by yelling stupid ****.

Do you think there's any merit to that thought?

I'm from Fuzhou, Fujian.

I don't think any of my decision has to do with the social environment I was brought up in. And that gives me another point I want to make, which is that rural areas often don't have great schools for your kids, I know I had a really bad school. The average score on the ACT for my class was 20. Yes, 20, that is pathetic and it would be even lower if it wasn't for a small group of my friends and I who got in the 28-33 range.

So if you want your kids to do great things, I don't think living in a rural town where they are exposed to racism will help them. I mean yeah I think I turned out ok, but I would have turned out ok too if I was living in NYC or LA.

You have no idea what you're talking about. My friend, who is Korean, attends Iowa State University. He's one of a handful of Asians on the entire campus. Every time he goes out to a party, as soon as he enters the door, a good amount of the people will drop whatever they're doing (conversation, beer pong, etc.) and stare at him.

So is that any different than me walking into a party full of asian kids? B/c I've done that before and have gotten looks...everyone is picked on these days, slick. Get over it.

So is that any different than me walking into a party full of asian kids? B/c I've done that before and have gotten looks...everyone is picked on these days, slick. Get over it.

He's considering practicing in a rural area where there will be predominantly white people so it is a relevant question.
Ever heard of the term visible minority? You're a ***** if you think racism = "being picked on"

Hey man, check your PM.

So you've gone from "no one is judging you" to "everyone is being judged and picked on."

Great. Next time I'm jonesing for another cup of hyperbolic sentiment, I'll be sure to knock on your door.

So you've gone from "no one is judging you" to "everyone is being judged and picked on."

Great. Next time I'm jonesing for another cup of hyperbolic sentiment, I'll be sure to knock on your door.

HUGE face palm...

Ever sit around and wonder if anyone hates you because of your pompous attitude and apparent inability to grasp even the most basic fundamentals of logic? What an embarrassment.

Ever sit around and wonder if anyone hates you because of your pompous attitude and apparent inability to grasp even the most basic fundamentals of logic? What an embarrassment.

Ever sit around and wonder why everyone thinks you're a whiny little bitch? Because you sound like one. I really don't like people who go around thinking everyone is judging them...get over it and just live. Asians have been doing fine, so don't worry about it. Just b/c I'm jewish, doesn't mean I'm gonna go around "wondering" if people will be judging me all the time...holy god, why is that sooo hard to understand? You're a ******, end of story...sorry but you are. If I were to want to open a practice in an area dominated by asians, what would you say to me if I were to ask the same question?

Ever sit around and wonder why everyone thinks you're a whiny little bitch? Because you sound like one. I really don't like people who go around thinking everyone is judging them...get over it and just live. Asians have been doing fine, so don't worry about it. Just b/c I'm jewish, doesn't mean I'm gonna go around "wondering" if people will be judging me all the time...holy god, why is that sooo hard to understand? You're a ******, end of story...sorry but you are. If I were to want to open a practice in an area dominated by asians, what would you say to me if I were to ask the same question?

Did you honestly miss the whole point of this thread or are you trolling?

hey, this is a valid thread. don't let some troll ruin it for the rest of us. (this situation can apply to anyone of any race as long as they are planing to move into a community that is dominated by another race)

as for the conversation idea. while true, cultural barrier kind of slightly hinders a good conversation. most people just naturally relate to people of their own culture cuz they have more in common. with that said, it isnt like you cant start or carry a conversation, but it is different.

has anyone know someone or themselves started a office where you are the minority in the town (with other dental office in the town as well)?

Keep in mind China has been in the news a lot for sending us tainted toothpaste, tainted seafood, tainted toy, tainted drywall, tainted infant formula, tainted cosmetic, tainted petfood, tainted PFM's, tainted you name it. Unless you're the only one in town or it's ridiculously hard to make an appointment with someone else, I wouldn't go to you either. It's an unfair stereotype but that's life and I experience it all the time at my practice despite being in a very 'openminded liberal' area.

Keep in mind China has been in the news a lot for sending us tainted toothpaste, tainted seafood, tainted toy, tainted drywall, tainted infant formula, tainted cosmetic, tainted petfood, tainted PFM's, tainted you name it. Unless you're the only one in town or it's ridiculously hard to make an appointment with someone else, I wouldn't go to you either. It's an unfair stereotype but that's life and I experience it all the time at my practice despite being in a very 'openminded liberal' area.

so how did you make it, Daurang?

Even here in the very 'progressive' northeast, white people will usually only go to you only when they need their vicodin fix. They will complete the treatment plan and like you very very much but then just disappear for a long time afterward. You simply adapt and find other groups to treat.

I don't think you can make it. Unless you are born here, act like a native, speak like a native, etc...stereotype happens everywhere no matter where you go. You will be better practicing in an asian neighborhood.

Very few people have such negative stereotype toward Asian people. American people, in general, are very generous people…this is why USA is the greatest country in the world. Most stereotypes about Asian people are usually the positive ones…ie hard working, good in Math, strong educational values etc.

I am an Asian American. I didn’t speak a word of English when I came to the US at the age of 16. My dad had a low paying job that did not require him to speak fluent English. My hard work is not the main reason for my success. I am successful because I live in this great country where no one is denied of opportunity because of his/her race.

I am an Asian American. I didn’t speak a word of English when I came to the US at the age of 16. My dad had a low paying job that did not require him to speak fluent English. My hard work is not the main reason for my success. I am successful because I live in this great country where no one is denied of opportunity because of his/her race.

"ONLY IN AMERICA!!!!"

charlestweed
I love your story!

Your dad:
tumblr_l0qd9l5SAZ1qakgigo1_500.jpg

tumblr_l0kwr9VAYb1qakgigo1_500.jpg

LOL the cartoon is so true! Don't for get, Nor a B-sian or a A minus-sian!

I think you have a point. But at the same time, I think that it really depends on where you go and having confidence in yourself too. Just be the awesome dentist that will make people want to come back and visit every six months. And if they don't trust you for whatever reasons, they don't have to come to your practice. Tough luck for them.

Take Dennis Miller's advice on this topic:

"When I put my life in the hands of a doctor; I want the person that scored the highest on the tests, did the best research, and knows what they're doing. I don't care if they're Black, White, Male or Female. As long as they're Asian."

Dennis Miller "I Rant, Therefore I Am" Page 200.

I'm not sure how far you're willing to move to find your perfect rural town but I would look to Alaska. There's plenty of work and you'll get your misty mountains and streams. Being asian, you'll blend in more than if you were black or hispanic (I hate saying this but it's true).

Have you considered Hawaii?

Your dad:
tumblr_l0qd9l5SAZ1qakgigo1_500.jpg

tumblr_l0kwr9VAYb1qakgigo1_500.jpg
:laugh::laugh::laugh:.Yeah, I thought dental school would be the last school for me…but no, my dad wanted me to go for what I thought was impossible at that time, the orthodontic residency. Thanks to him. Now I know nothing is impossible in America.

I didn’t go to a community college, but my sister and my wife did before they attended dental schools…..they were both too old for high school when they came here.

Reactions: 1 user
Very few people have such negative stereotype toward Asian people. American people, in general, are very generous people…this is why USA is the greatest country in the world. Most stereotypes about Asian people are usually the positive ones…ie hard working, good in Math, strong educational values etc.

I agree with you totally; my parents came to the U.S. with $300 in hand and both managed to obtain PhDs. There no other place where you can achieve that sort of success. Sure, they had to work their asses off, hell, they couldn't even afford a long-distance call to India so they would send occasional letters, but they were able to do it. Now they both hold director-level positions and make 6 figures. Can you name another country where this could happen?

BTW, to the OP, both my parents attended ISU for their post-grad and they loved it. We even lived there until my sister was born (we moved to CA for a warmer climate because she was premature). They always say that mid-western people are some of the nicest and most accepting, and they never encountered racism (this was the late 1980's and early 1990's). You have nothing to fear except for your stupid reasoning and misinformed misconceptions.

I agree with you totally; my parents came to the U.S. with $300 in hand and both managed to obtain PhDs. There no other place where you can achieve that sort of success. Sure, they had to work their asses off, hell, they couldn't even afford a long-distance call to India so they would send occasional letters, but they were able to do it. Now they both hold director-level positions and make 6 figures. Can you name another country where this could happen?

BTW, to the OP, both my parents attended ISU for their post-grad and they loved it. We even lived there until my sister was born (we moved to CA for a warmer climate because she was premature). They always say that mid-western people are some of the nicest and most accepting, and they never encountered racism (this was the late 1980's and early 1990's). You have nothing to fear except for your stupid reasoning and misinformed misconceptions.

Canada.