ask a former 5 time reapplicant now MS-3 anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mommy2three

PGY-1
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so as the title says, it took me five application cycles to get into medical school, i think i learned plenty along the way as del as while i have been here these past few years.

so go ahead and ask away - i am happy to answer any questions you may have about things i did differently, life as a medical student.

good luck to all the reapplicants this cycle

Members don't see this ad.

what is the most significant change that you made on your application, which differed from previous times, that gave you the acceptance?

what is the most significant change that you made on your application, which differed from previous times, that gave you the acceptance?

i retook the MCAT, i bumped up my volunteer experience with more medically related (i volunteered in an ER), i did the masters program, i shadowed more docs and was able to get some very solid LORs from them as well as the docs i worked with in the ER

Members don't see this ad :)
do you mind if I ask what sort of gpa/mcat trends you had through the cycles? I'm a non-trad returning to finish my BA and I'm only at a 3.0ish because I messed around when I was younger. Pulling much better grades now but I'm trying to get a handle on how high my MCAT needs to be

Dear mommy2three:
I applied to MD/DO programs last cycle and got one interview and one acceptance, but then withdrew upon finding out I was pregnant (due end of october) since the school (out of state, far from spouse, family) would not defer my spot to next year. I thought I could handle doing an accelerated masters program instead locally but gave that up too, so now I am preparing to apply this cycle although I am getting a late start.
My plan is to reapply to the school that accepted me last year and to a couple of DO programs as well and to some MPH programs too. I plan to retake the MCAT in January since I have nothing to add to my application this year from last outside of a new perso statement.
As a mother would you recommend I take a year more to better prepare for reapplying? I feel like I am rushing since at 31 years old I have been working long and hard to get into med school. My spouse has a year or so left before graduating so needs to stay put. My ECs, LORs are strong but I graduated in 2007 and took my pre-reqs on part-time basis while working full-time. I know with a higher MCAT score I can get more interviews, but perhaps a masters program would be a better option while raising my first child. I also would like more children and don't want to wait until I'm 40 to have the others!
Please share some of your mommy of three wisdom with a mommy of one to be!!
Thanks.

do you mind if I ask what sort of gpa/mcat trends you had through the cycles? I'm a non-trad returning to finish my BA and I'm only at a 3.0ish because I messed around when I was younger. Pulling much better grades now but I'm trying to get a handle on how high my MCAT needs to be

my first cycle was 3.18 cum gpa, 3,76 science gpa 27 mcat
applied with that again with a smp in progress under my belt.
reapplied after i finished the smp with a new 29 mcat but a 2.89 in the smp
took some grad classes at a local university reapplied with the same mcat but a 3.0 graduate gpa
last time retook mcat, 30, 2 year master program with a 3.85

Dear mommy2three:
I applied to MD/DO programs last cycle and got one interview and one acceptance, but then withdrew upon finding out I was pregnant (due end of october) since the school (out of state, far from spouse, family) would not defer my spot to next year. I thought I could handle doing an accelerated masters program instead locally but gave that up too, so now I am preparing to apply this cycle although I am getting a late start.
My plan is to reapply to the school that accepted me last year and to a couple of DO programs as well and to some MPH programs too. I plan to retake the MCAT in January since I have nothing to add to my application this year from last outside of a new perso statement.
As a mother would you recommend I take a year more to better prepare for reapplying? I feel like I am rushing since at 31 years old I have been working long and hard to get into med school. My spouse has a year or so left before graduating so needs to stay put. My ECs, LORs are strong but I graduated in 2007 and took my pre-reqs on part-time basis while working full-time. I know with a higher MCAT score I can get more interviews, but perhaps a masters program would be a better option while raising my first child. I also would like more children and don't want to wait until I'm 40 to have the others!
Please share some of your mommy of three wisdom with a mommy of one to be!!
Thanks.

big freezers are your friend - seriously. also crock pots are natures miracle. cook things in bulk and freeze them in family size portions so you can pull it and go.
you were smart to stay near extended family. it takes a village. it really does. get into a pattern before you start and keep to it. also let the family round you know that your presence will only be for absolutely attendance required or you will be disowned events. take a weekend a months and have a family date. try to have dinner every night as a family - we did through the first two years. we also always went to a simple lunch ever since my oldest was a little munchkin and we kept that tradition - even if it was just for subs or something.
you will have different priorities - i know i did. my priorities were my family. i could have done better in some of my classes had i studied that extra hour or two but i placed my family first and trying to keep things as sane as humanly possible as i could for them.

do not let anyone tell you that you can not do it because you CAN!!

gl and congrats on your little one to be :)

How did you keep from getting discouraged after unsuccessful cycles? This is my second round applying, and already I feel like I have almost no chance of getting in.

How did you keep from getting discouraged after unsuccessful cycles? This is my second round applying, and already I feel like I have almost no chance of getting in.

i think the thing was i am nothing if not stubborn. i did get discouraged, i even posted on here about throwing in the towel. i thought about getting my np and doing that - i even applied and was accepted into a program while i was on the wait list to the masters program.
i also talked to schools after each cycle to try to find specific areas where i needed more strength.
and you have to keep in mind that i am a very unique situation because i am very geographically limited as to where i could apply due to husbands job, house etc so that changes things as well.

i know it is hard after an unsuccessful cycle but focus on what you can do to make yourself better

Hello,

For each time you reapplied, did you write a different personal statement for each one? Thanks!

Thank you Mommy2three; I decided to take an extra year to better strengthen my app. Should take some pressure off and ensure I do it all well.

my first cycle was 3.18 cum gpa, 3,76 science gpa 27 mcat
applied with that again with a smp in progress under my belt.
reapplied after i finished the smp with a new 29 mcat but a 2.89 in the smp
took some grad classes at a local university reapplied with the same mcat but a 3.0 graduate gpa
last time retook mcat, 30, 2 year master program with a 3.85

Why do you think you didn't get in with a 3.18/3.76/27 initially? Seems legit for MD/DO 8 years ago..

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

For each time you reapplied, did you write a different personal statement for each one? Thanks!

the only time i truly overhauled my personal statement was my very last application and i totally scrapped it and redid it. i took a completely different approach.

other than that i slightly revised to add in relevant things and tweak a few things here and there but the premise and basic focus was the same

Why do you think you didn't get in with a 3.18/3.76/27 initially? Seems legit for MD/DO 8 years ago..

i have been around here a while and most here know my story, but i will say i think it came down to two things

1. i applied with those stats to east coast schools which are from my understanding more difficult for a non east coast resident to get into

2. i did not apply do initially

3. i have 3 semesters worth of failing grades - THAT is the BIG one and the thorn in my side

i have been around here a while and most here know my story, but i will say i think it came down to two things

1. i applied with those stats to east coast schools which are from my understanding more difficult for a non east coast resident to get into

3. i have 3 semesters worth of failing grades - THAT was the BIG one and the thorn in my side

Fixed that for you :) Congrats on making it this far. Almost there!

3. i have 3 semesters worth of failing grades - THAT is the BIG one and the thorn in my side

Can I ask when you started adding DO to your applications? ....and did you find that you expanded your list of applications each year? I'm curious about the process of choosing where to apply. Right now my plan is A) everything in my state B) Loma Linda for the religious setting C) A few schools in North Carolina for proximity to inlaws D) Mayo...because it's mayo ;) and D) a number of the lower GPA/GMAT DO and MD schools to try and increase odds. E) a few schools that focus on rural because rural medicine is really my main goal now

I'm clueless as to what my MCAT will be at this point since people tell me the GRE is no indicator and I currently have a 3.0 from messing around in my younger years. Grade trending as a returning student is 4.0 so far.

Can I ask when you started adding DO to your applications? ....and did you find that you expanded your list of applications each year? I'm curious about the process of choosing where to apply. Right now my plan is A) everything in my state B) Loma Linda for the religious setting C) A few schools in North Carolina for proximity to inlaws D) Mayo...because it's mayo ;) and D) a number of the lower GPA/GMAT DO and MD schools to try and increase odds. E) a few schools that focus on rural because rural medicine is really my main goal now

I'm clueless as to what my MCAT will be at this point since people tell me the GRE is no indicator and I currently have a 3.0 from messing around in my younger years. Grade trending as a returning student is 4.0 so far.

twice i applied to DO - the year i got into the masters program i had applied to CCOM and my application was transferred over then the last year of my masters program.

as far as number, i was all over the place. my very last cycle i applied to 3 total schools, i was a high as 8 previously. it varied but it was a concerted effort to apply to schools where i felt like i had a good change of getting in and had made significant changes in my application to be considered.

Fixed that for you :) Congrats on making it this far. Almost there!

that was an intention use of "is" ;)

even though it seems like it is "behind me" since i am here now, it still bugs me and bothers me that i have this in my background and that it is my history.
but i have embraced it and it is part of my history - the failing grades did not how ay because i am in medical school they are still there.

What med school did you get accepted to now? And congrats btw :)

Why would you want to go through this process five times? That's at least two MCAT sittings.

self-respect >>>>>>> being an MD.

Why would you want to go through this process five times? That's at least two MCAT sittings.

actually it was three MCATs s due to the timing difference

and why would i want to? because i knew this is what i wanted, i knew this is what i am supposed to be doing - i know that now more than anything, especially in the clinics and in the hospitals i love where i am.

and i am not an MD, i am a DO and that >>>>>>>>>>>> MD and way >>>>>>>>>> not doing this at all

Reactions: 1 users
mommy2three,

I've been following your story for the past couple years and have been very inspired by your perseverance and unwillingness to give up on your dream!

I have a question about withdrawals on transcripts. Did you have any of these, and if so, do you think they were a hindrance to how you were viewed as an applicant? Unfortunately, I have a boatload of them in undergrad from about 15 years ago when I was young and foolish--8 to be exact. My cgpa is 3.5, BCPM is 3.8+, and post-bacc is 3.9+. However, just this summer I withdrew from my first science class after taking 43 credits of science post-bacc work with no W's, so that makes 9 total now--ugh. Will this kill my chances?

Thanks for posting this thread! It gives those of us with less-than-perfect backgrounds some hope!

When you say "3 semesters worth of failing grades", do you mean that you had straight Fs in every class for 3 semesters, or was it one class or a couple of classes per semester?

mommy2three,

I've been following your story for the past couple years and have been very inspired by your perseverance and unwillingness to give up on your dream!

I have a question about withdrawals on transcripts. Did you have any of these, and if so, do you think they were a hindrance to how you were viewed as an applicant? Unfortunately, I have a boatload of them in undergrad from about 15 years ago when I was young and foolish--8 to be exact. My cgpa is 3.5, BCPM is 3.8+, and post-bacc is 3.9+. However, just this summer I withdrew from my first science class after taking 43 credits of science post-bacc work with no W's, so that makes 9 total now--ugh. Will this kill my chances?

Thanks for posting this thread! It gives those of us with less-than-perfect backgrounds some hope!

i did have a few withdrawals on my transcript - i had a withdrawal from french, one from biochem and one from calc based physics

i do not think that they hindered my application at all - the failures were worse.

deep breath and you will get there

When you say "3 semesters worth of failing grades", do you mean that you had straight Fs in every class for 3 semesters, or was it one class or a couple of classes per semester?

i had one semester with two f's the next semester was 3 f'f and the last semester was 4 f's

there were a few retakes with f's still but they were mostly different classes

Remember what they call the med school grad who took 5 tries to get in?......Doctor.

I respect the tenacity

Reactions: 1 user
Mommy2three, I respect your perseverance and diligence. It's good that you kept applying because most people would get discourage and quit. That says a lot about your character and I'm sure you will be a great advocate for your patients.

I'm surprised you weren't able to gain acceptance within the first 2 cycles, but I guess that SMP became more of a hinderance that help. Also, how was your comlex I and/or step I scores, if you don't mind (PM if you wish). What is your class standing (i.e. top 50% or higher)? I am looking at CCOM due to their research opportunities and clinicals (DO/MS). Is it hard to get in there for OOS and are they all about stats?

i had one semester with two f's the next semester was 3 f'f and the last semester was 4 f's

there were a few retakes with f's still but they were mostly different classes

When were these semesters - the one's immediately preceding your application?

Congrats. I admire your resilience.

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile app

I was a long time lurker on these forums and remember you being "mommy2two." It's great to hear a happy ending. I'm hoping the same thing for me. I just know this is for me, and I'm going to keep trying until I get in.

I'm really hoping those new schools give me a fair look.

This is a pretty decent thread. I myself had to apply to medical school four time before I got in, along with four MCATs. Ask away.

Mommy2three, I respect your perseverance and diligence. It's good that you kept applying because most people would get discourage and quit. That says a lot about your character and I'm sure you will be a great advocate for your patients.

I'm surprised you weren't able to gain acceptance within the first 2 cycles, but I guess that SMP became more of a hinderance that help. Also, how was your comlex I and/or step I scores, if you don't mind (PM if you wish). What is your class standing (i.e. top 50% or higher)? I am looking at CCOM due to their research opportunities and clinicals (DO/MS). Is it hard to get in there for OOS and are they all about stats?

They are not all about stats at all imho.
I am around 50th percentile for rank but I am okay with that considering all the balancing I have to do.
I can pm you my step score

They are not all about stats at all imho.
I am around 50th percentile for rank but I am okay with that considering all the balancing I have to do.
I can pm you my step score

Thanks. My application was released today, so I received their secondary. Sending me your score is not neccessary. As long as you did well enough to get where you need to go is all that matters. Good luck!

Going to add to this.

Bottom line: Tenacity and effort overcomes a poor academic history. If you are serious about going into medicine then you will figure out a way to get in. Try and show the ADCOMs that you are ready for the challenge. Embrace the difficulty and the journey and tell them that you are without a doubt ready to succeed. Have the focus, determination, and maturity come through during the interview. I can't tell you how important it is to have the confidence that you can do it and do so in a way that isn't egotistical. Once in, the hardships and frustration that you have will motivate you to study and excel. This isn't a unique story, as lots of my classmates have similar backgrounds and results.

Keep trucking guys.

Last edited:
That's awesome to hear lanolin, from messing around when I was 19 I will be a low to mid 3's in gpa even though I am crushing my classes now with closer to a 3.8-4.0. Who knows how the mcat will treat me...but I'm going to get though it

This is a pretty decent thread. I myself had to apply to medical school four time before I got in, along with four MCATs. Ask away.

I have taken the MCAT 3x and am about to get my 3rd score within the next week. I feel like I might have to take it a 4th time..:scared: If you wouldn't mind, could you PM me your scores and what you did differently each time? I found it very encouraging that you got in! :)

Also, I am considering applying to one school and I was wondering about LORs. If I apply to that school and don't get in, do I need to get new LORs? I know my app should change to reflect the new stuff that I've done but I don't know about the old LORs from the required science professors :confused:

I found this very inspiring/encouraging :thumbup:....something like that...I've been up for too long :sleep:

Last edited:
Dear mommy2three, congrats on reaching your goal and thank you for being here to help us out.

Is it true that if you apply to the same school, they could compare your current app to the previous one side by side when they evaluate you? Or ad coms don't have access to old apps?

I made a stupid mistake on this year's app in terms of the time frame I volunteered in the hospital ER, one whole year LESS than I actually volunteered =(. I am afraid/paranoid about if I change that for next year's app it would make ad com think I am fudging my experiences.

Also could you still use the same LORs? Or you have to request all over again? How about transcripts?

Thanks.

Going to add to this.

Bottom line: Tenacity and effort overcomes a poor academic history. If you are serious about going into medicine then you will figure out a way to get in. Try and show the ADCOMs that you are ready for the challenge. Embrace the difficulty and the journey and tell them that you are without a doubt ready to succeed. Have the focus, determination, and maturity come through during the interview. I can't tell you how important it is to have the confidence that you can do it and do so in a way that isn't egotistical. Once in, the hardships and frustration that you have will motivate you to study and excel. This isn't a unique story, as lots of my classmates have similar backgrounds and results.

Keep trucking guys.

In addition to the above: “Man often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing, it is possible that I may end by really becoming incapable of doing it. On the contrary, if I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning."--Gandhi

I have taken the MCAT 3x and am about to get my 3rd score within the next week. I feel like I might have to take it a 4th time..:scared: If you wouldn't mind, could you PM me your scores and what you did differently each time? I found it very encouraging that you got in! :)

Also, I am considering applying to one school and I was wondering about LORs. If I apply to that school and don't get in, do I need to get new LORs? I know my app should change to reflect the new stuff that I've done but I don't know about the old LORs from the required science professors :confused:

I found this very inspiring/encouraging :thumbup:....something like that...I've been up for too long :sleep:

every year you need to get new LORs, they can be from the same people although that is not ideal - you should try to have recent letters along with what you know are very solid LORs when you are applying.

first MCAT 26 (ps 8 , bs 8, vr 10)
second MCAT - took kaplan review course and took test six weeks after giving birth (not recommended) 27 (ps 8, bs 10, vr 9)
third MCAt (focused on my weaker area, physics by studying physics the easy way and novas mcat physics book as well as shoring up gen chem, did tons of questions in examkrackers 1001 gen chem and physic books) 30 (ps9, bs11, vr 10)

Dear mommy2three, congrats on reaching your goal and thank you for being here to help us out.

Is it true that if you apply to the same school, they could compare your current app to the previous one side by side when they evaluate you? Or ad coms don't have access to old apps?

I made a stupid mistake on this year's app in terms of the time frame I volunteered in the hospital ER, one whole year LESS than I actually volunteered =(. I am afraid/paranoid about if I change that for next year's app it would make ad com think I am fudging my experiences.

Also could you still use the same LORs? Or you have to request all over again? How about transcripts?

Thanks.

every year you need to submit new transcripts for verification. you can use the same LORS but you should always try to get some new ones - if you have some that you know are really solid you can reuse it.
i am not sure if they directly compare or not but they do know you have applied before. i think they look at each application cycle on its own merits though.

WHat were ur stats? Did u get into md or do school? What school? Thanks!,

WHat were ur stats? Did u get into md or do school? What school? Thanks!,

If you bothered to read the thread at all, she has answered all of your questions in detail already multiple times.

Reactions: 1 user
If you bothered to read the thread at all, she has answered all of your questions in detail already multiple times.

Ouch....lol.. But totally good point

Sent from my SGH-T989 using SDN Mobile

so as the title says, it took me five application cycles to get into medical school, i think i learned plenty along the way as del as while i have been here these past few years.

so go ahead and ask away - i am happy to answer any questions you may have about things i did differently, life as a medical student.

good luck to all the reapplicants this cycle

I haven't had a chance to read this thread yet, but wanted to extend my warmest congrats; I had no idea as I've seen you around that you applied 5 times. That, my friends, is the epitome of tenacity and perseverance. :highfive:

May I ask what you did your masters program in?

Hey, good thread and congratulations.

I'm currently applying for the second time over 3 years after taking some time to improve my application significantly. But I'm doing substantially worse in the interview realm. I have 0 interviews this time around, whereas I had several last time. My MCAT is very solid (97 percentile overall score), and I did an SMP where I only got one B (3.9+ GPA). I've been volunteering and have a job in healthcare with significant patient contact. I'm, for a lack of a better word, not a D-bag. And I don't think I sounded like one at all in my personal statement.

I just don't know what to do. The only thing I can think of is to contact deans of admissions and be like "hey! what's the deal?", but I don't know if that'll hurt me more than anything.

Also, since I'm applying to Texas schools, most of them end their interview cycles next month before Christmas. So their isn't as much time as most out of state folks have. I did, however, recently apply to several DO schools not in Texas. So hopefully they show some interest.

mommy2three, or anyone else, have any thoughts on my situation?

Thanks in advance!

Send out to all the do schools that take out of state students....also, have a premed advisor take a look at your statement/packet