Ask a radiology attending anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jalby

I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the free time. Soooo much free time.

Members don't see this ad.

What do you think about georgetown's admissions staff?

Reactions: 76 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 19 users
I work from 10 PM to 7 AM, Friday to Thursday, then I get 7 days off. Sometimes I work from 4 PM to 1 AM.
1) What were your criteria when looking for this job?
2) At how many locations did you interview?
3) Where you offered an inducements to sign for those positions?
4) When during residency did you start the job search?

1) What were your criteria when looking for this job?
2) At how many locations did you interview?
3) Where you offered an inducements to sign for those positions?
4) When during residency did you start the job search?

1. I wanted to live in Los Angeles. First and foremost.
2. I interviewed at one place in Jan and got the job because the attendings of my fellowship knew my current bosses and told them they absolutely had to hire me. My interview consisted of "XXX says we have to hire you. Are you crazy??" After I got the job I didn't apply to any others. Getting a job in Radiology when I graduated was quite rare. I got offered a job without an interview in Mission Viejo afterwards and my fellowship also offered me a job and asked me not to take the job they set me up with. The problem is the job they got me paid me 30-40% more.
3. I got a job and got paid.
4. I started looking in November of Fellowship. But to start I kissed my fellowship directors butt as much as possible.

Hi, thanks for doing this, I am very interested in radiology. Also, I am a naive pre-med, so forgive me if some of the questions come across as ignorant. :laugh:

1. Is radiology math/physics heavy?
2. Why did you choose radiology?
3. What don't you like about radiology?
4. Where do you see the job market headed in 5-10 years? I have heard that radiology job market is VERY saturated and that good jobs in good locations are getting very hard to come by. Do you think this trend is going to continue? What about in a saturated place like NYC?

Thanks in advance!

Do you work face-to-face with patients ? If not: do you miss it? as a pre-med did you think you would be a doctor who didn't work face-to-face with patients? what led you to this path?

Lastly, do you think a portion of radiology readings will be replaced by cheaper readers (e.g. in India) or computers?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be MS1 next year and after shadowing radiology a bit I consider it one of the specialties I'm most interested in. My main concern with the field is that I've heard its probably the toughest job market for physicians (currently). I was wondering if you have any knowledge of how the job market for radiology is in rural areas?

What are the main reasons people cite for being interested in radiology?

Thoughts on tele-rads? Future of the field in terms of job prospects?

I have the free time. Soooo much free time.

I am a M4 originally from CA who matched rads in TX. If i want to ultimately practice in CA how big of a disadvantage am I at by not doing residency in CA? I plan on doing fellowship in CA.

Were you looking for night shift hours specifically when looking for your job? Do you enjoy working the night shift? What kind of positive/negative impacts has that had on your life outside of your career?

How common is night shift work in radiology?

What made you ultimately decide to do radiology? What was life as a radiology resident like? I'm about to start school and mildly interested in it but know nothing about what life as a radiology resident is like.

And you said . . .?

Are signing bonuses and relocation expense reimbursement uncommon in more-desirable (like California) locations?

"I try not to be"

Radiology the job market was so tight that people would take 50% what they could make in Texas to be in Lso Angeles. So, nope, no signing bonuses or anything like that.

Hi, thanks for doing this, I am very interested in radiology. Also, I am a naive pre-med, so forgive me if some of the questions come across as ignorant. :laugh:

1. Is radiology math/physics heavy?
2. Why did you choose radiology?
3. What don't you like about radiology?
4. Where do you see the job market headed in 5-10 years? I have heard that radiology job market is VERY saturated and that good jobs in good locations are getting very hard to come by. Do you think this trend is going to continue? What about in a saturated place like NYC?

Thanks in advance!

1. The training is. After that, nope
2. I tried to do Orthopedics, but accidently pissed off two of the residents because I knew more than they did and answered every question. Ortho PD told me I would get into a better place than my home program. I ended up not matching. I scrambled into Radiology.
3. Well right now nothing. I get to live in Los Angeles and make a good salary, but I'm lucky. I also realized I'm made for the current form of radiology where you get paid by the study.
4. I have no idea. Jobs are very hard to come by right now. That won't change until the ABR finally stops allowing FMG's to get board certified by doing four years of fellowship. That being said, they can't get jobs at all. I do teleradiology myself so I could work anywhere. I don't think you could find a normal job in NYC or LA easily.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you afraid of the dark?
Sometimes my dog gets up and starts growling. That scares me ****less.

But I work in a high rise with windows looking outside at night, so it isn't that bad.

Do you work face-to-face with patients ? If not: do you miss it? as a pre-med did you think you would be a doctor who didn't work face-to-face with patients? what led you to this path?

Lastly, do you think a portion of radiology readings will be replaced by cheaper readers (e.g. in India) or computers?

I explained how I got here before.
Yes and no about the patients. Patients can be horrible people. Just like pre-meds. They have vastly unrealistic expectations of what you can do when you are doing interventional stuff. I had a very good time in my fellowship interacting with patients getting very high reviews. But there is always one who will hate everybody and complain to some administrator in the hospital and you can get in trouble for something you did or didn't do. Pissed me off.

But now I do teleradiology, so they are all gone. I think I am fine with that.

I don't think India will ever be a viable model for radiology. There is to much of a need for competancy and they just are not. It was tried 4-5 years ago and failed miserably. Remember what it is like to call India for tech support?? That is what it is like.

Reactions: 10 users
What is your daytime schedule like considering you work through the night on your working weeks?

I walk my dog at 7 AM. I am asleep by 8 AM. I sleep until between 2 PM and 5 PM. I don't have an alarm which is sweet. Then I go to the gym, go running, think about how much I hate Georgetown, or do something on the 5 hours I have off before work.

Reactions: 31 users
Next time I walk into your reading room, can you just hiss "My precious..."? That would be cool.
Sure. I will actually be reading at where I did my fellowship soon. Just for you. My current workstation is in my bedroom.

I'll be MS1 next year and after shadowing radiology a bit I consider it one of the specialties I'm most interested in. My main concern with the field is that I've heard its probably the toughest job market for physicians (currently). I was wondering if you have any knowledge of how the job market for radiology is in rural areas?
It's fine in rural areas. I don't have much knowledge though. You are a first year. See what the job market is in 2 years. It has gotten a TON better since I got a job.

What are the main reasons people cite for being interested in radiology?
Most people go into it because they don't have social skills and they are not smart enough for Derm.

Reactions: 3 users
Thoughts on tele-rads? Future of the field in terms of job prospects?
I will never be fired. Outside of that, who knows. My company keeps picking up business.

Did you look into any other fields like Rad Onc or Anesthesiology?
Nope. Couldn't wake up that early for Anes. Never heard of Rad Onc until I graduated from med school

When you dictate a report, do you have to say, "Clinical correlation suggested" at the end of every report, or does your software just add that in automatically?
I'm not a bitch. The only think that I do once a month is if I have a possible rib fracture that may or may not be acute I tell them to correlate with pain to determine acuity.

Reactions: 2 users
I am a M4 originally from CA who matched rads in TX. If i want to ultimately practice in CA how big of a disadvantage am I at by not doing residency in CA? I plan on doing fellowship in CA.
Somewhat?? Most people get jobs through connections from their residencies or fellowships. I got all my job offers from my fellowship. You just need to be sure you come back to the place where you want to live for fellowship. Location matters more than anything else.

Were you looking for night shift hours specifically when looking for your job? Do you enjoy working the night shift? What kind of positive/negative impacts has that had on your life outside of your career?

How common is night shift work in radiology?
I was looking for a job that would allow me to be in LA. Most of the jobs that allowed me to do that is night. I love it because I get to sleep without setting an alarm. I get 6-8 hours sleep every night (Day).

So far all impacts have been positive. I can make stuff that others can't. Also having a week off every other week is great. I do 9 hour shifts. If I was doing 12 hour shifts it would suck sooooooooo much.

Why does it say you are a pre-vet student?
I once started a thread called "Ask a PM and R resident anything" and then the body was "Seriously, because they have nothing else to do."

This was when I did a Ask Jalby anything thread. IT got popular. There was about 3 copycat threads that popped up. SO I did a copycat thread of the copycat thread.

I got a PM from an Admin who said I was being given a warning for misrepresenting myself. I never said I was a PM and R student. I was just telling other people to ask them questions because they have free time. This admin was actually a 3rd year college student and I thought he was being a little bit to overly hall monitery. So, I decided to actually misrepresent myself. At the same time he gave me a warning that my Tupac picture was to big. I mean seriously. It's Tupac.

Those warnings should have been expired by now. Besides, I don't think anybody would dare kick me out.

Reactions: 16 users
Why does it say you are a pre-vet student?
Dear Jalby,

You have received an infraction at Student Doctor Network Forums.

Reason: TOS Violation: False identity / Misrepresentation
-------
Jalby,

Really?

XXXXXXXX
SDN Moderator
-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:
Ask a PM and R resident anything.

Seriously. They really don't have anything to do with their spare time.

MY Reply:
Jalby said:
How is it an infraction??? I never said I was a PM and R resident. Now, if I got an infraction for starting a joke thread in response to others, then it would be well deserved.

Their reply:
I apologize if the infraction category I chose appeared ambiguous; I merely chose the one I felt was most appropriate at the time. All infractions are equally weighted, however, so the category chosen is unimportant as long as you understand why you received it (and from your message I will assume you know why it was "well deserved." attachFull191692)

Attachments

• upload_2015-4-29_3-37-6.png
    upload_2015-4-29_3-37-6.png
    95 bytes · Views: 251
Last edited:
What made you ultimately decide to do radiology? What was life as a radiology resident like? I'm about to start school and mildly interested in it but know nothing about what life as a radiology resident is like.
I answered that above.
Life as a radiology resident is one of the greatest lives you can have. No real effort required. LOVED it.

lol
Dear Jalby,

You have received an infraction at Student Doctor Network Forums.

Reason: TOS Violation: False identity / Misrepresentation
-------
Jalby,

Really?

XXXXXXXX
SDN Moderator
-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:
[post]11930721[/post]
Seriously. They really don't have anything to do with their spare time.
All the best,
Student Doctor Network Forums

MY Reply:
Jalby said:
How is it an infraction??? I never said I was a PM and R resident. Now, if I got an infraction for starting a joke thread in response to others, then it would be well deserved.

Their reply:
I apologize if the infraction category I chose appeared ambiguous; I merely chose the one I felt was most appropriate at the time. All infractions are equally weighted, however, so the category chosen is unimportant as long as you understand why you received it (and from your message I will assume you know why it was "well deserved." attachFull191692)

Reactions: 1 users
holy ****, you work 1150 hours a year in LA, don't have to talk to other attendings/patients for the most part, and presumably make bank?

:bow:

Reactions: 2 users
I once started a thread called "Ask a PM and R resident anything" and then the body was "Seriously, because they have nothing else to do."

This was when I did a Ask Jalby anything thread. IT got popular. There was about 3 copycat threads that popped up. SO I did a copycat thread of the copycat thread.

I got a PM from an Admin who said I was being given a warning for misrepresenting myself. I never said I was a PM and R student. I was just telling other people to ask them questions because they have free time. This admin was actually a 3rd year college student and I thought he was being a little bit to overly hall monitery. So, I decided to actually misrepresent myself. At the same time he gave me a warning that my Tupac picture was to big. I mean seriously. It's Tupac.

Those warnings should have been expired by now. Besides, I don't think anybody would dare kick me out.

You're hilarious. Can we be soul mates?

1.) Single?
2.) Salary range?
3.) Lookin' for a honey?

Reactions: 1 users
On a more serious note, what do you think will happen to the profession in the next decade? Cutting spots? Outsourcing to other centers in the US?

You said you were initially going for Ortho but because you didn't match you scrambled into Rads - do you ever regret not being an orthopedic surgeon now?

Do you put implants as part of the impression on a CXR?

holy ****, you work 1150 hours a year in LA, don't have to talk to other attendings/patients for the most part, and presumably make bank?

:bow:
I work 1638 hours a year scheduled and I probably worked an extra 100-200 hours extra because they needed help and called me.

You're hilarious. Can we be soul mates?

1.) Single?
2.) Salary range?
3.) Lookin' for a honey?

1. Yes
2. $20 to $1,000,000
3. How hot are you? A/S/L??

I realize I am violating the spirit of this thread by asking someone who is not a radiology attending something.

Reactions: 6 users