Ask a UMD resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hair Police

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I offered to answer questions about the EM program here and I got a bunch of replies. Instead of clutter up that other thread, I'll post my responses here. But applicants should feel free to ask further questions here.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,
I saw your post today about invites, etc. I 'm on the wait list and already emailed the PD about my continued interest in interviewing. I am seriously interested in coming to your program if I 'm luck enough to be chosen. Is there anything else I, or you could do to make it happen?
You have really done everything you can. I personally would love to interview everyone who applies, in order to get the best possible class of residents. But that's obviously not possible.

Right now you should just check in every few weeks and see if anything has changed. Make sure that emails from ERAS and UMD aren't filtered out of your inbox. Eventually the wait list does move towards Dec and Jan.

hello, i'm really interested to get interview in UMD. however, i got rejection already. is it possible to get invitation after rejection?& what should i do? i'm in a desperate need of interview since i'm already a prelim resident.
please PM me. I really appreciate your help & look forward to hearing from you.
I'm sorry, but rejections are final. I hope you have a successful application season. I'll tell you that there really are many excellent programs all throughout the US, and it is hard to go wrong in our specialty.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I'm a US IMG and I was rejected. Does Maryland not accept IMGs? I was really interested in the program.
Thanks in advance!
I'm sorry you were rejected, but we absolutely consider IMGs and FMGs. You can look at our current resident roster for confirmation.

How do you feel about the Hopkins and Gtown residents coming over to hang out with you guys at Shock Trauma?

For those of you who got "waitlisted" did you get an email saying so? I haven't heard anyhing from them since the email saying they were sending invites out over the weekend, no rejection no invite

How do you feel about the Hopkins and Gtown residents coming over to hang out with you guys at Shock Trauma?
I don't understand the question. We actually host resident rotators from all over - Hopkins, the Detroit hospitals, Maimonidies, and Walter Reed, as well as folks from Japan, Canada, and the UK. I don't remember working with Georgetown folks, but I wouldn't be surprised.

STC provides a wonderful training opportunities, and I see it as a compliment that other programs send their residents here.

I don't understand the question. We actually host resident rotators from all over - Hopkins, the Detroit hospitals, Maimonidies, and Walter Reed, as well as folks from Japan, Canada, and the UK. I don't remember working with Georgetown folks, but I wouldn't be surprised.

STC provides a wonderful training opportunities, and I see it as a compliment that other programs send their residents here.

I only brought it up because a Shock Trauma rotation is built into the curriculum of Hopkins and Georgetown; its great that those other places also get to rotate there. And, yes, it speaks very highly of the opportunities at STC

are the residents a tight knot group or are there microcliques in the class? do you guys get along with the em/I'm and em/peds people? how many people are doing fellowship and how many staying at umd as junior attendings?

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

are the residents a tight knot group or are there microcliques in the class?
With more than 50 residents, there's going to be subgroups of folks. But every week I get emails about people going out to dinner or clubbing. I go out and have fun with my classmates (and the ED nurses and staff) regularly.

do you guys get along with the em/I'm and em/peds people?
The combined folks are a part of each categorical class. There's no division. I didn't think of it going into the program, but the combined folks are a huge asset. They definitely act as go-betweens and do a good job representing us to the other services. It's also fun to have one of them as your senior when you're on one of our (few) off-service rotations.

how many people are doing fellowship and how many staying at umd as junior attendings?
About a third go into the community. I know of my class about 4 or 5 are going into fellowships scattered between here and other institutions. I don't believe anyone is staying as a junior attending but not doing fellowship. You can see the available fellowship listings here.

We started our regular interview season this last week and met out first two groups of applicants (one of which was an IMG, in reference to a poster question above). We had a number of questions during the interview, and I wanted to post some info up here.

Places to stay and travel arrangements - Some of our residents are able to host applicants. Look here and click on their name to contact the resident. I also recommend the Hampton Inn at the Convention Center. It's cheap, and close to both the medical center, our offices (where the interviews takes place), and the resident meet-and-greet. There you can get taxis to and from Penn Station if you're travelling via Amtrak, or get on the metro. Note that you can take Amtrak from Penn to BWI (cheaper than a taxi). You can also use the Charm City Circulator to get around town to see the sights.

Things to see - If you have the time, there are many (mostly free) things to do. The Walters, BMA and the Inner Harbor are free. History buffs can see Fort McHenry, and the Visionary Arts Museum is a lot of fun (don't miss the gift shop).

As before, please don't hesitate to post here or PM me if you have any more questions. Good luck to everyone during this interview season.

I've received a few questions over the last week, so I thought I'd revive this thread. Feel free to PM me and I will post my answers here.

Attachments

• upload_2014-10-31_16-25-33.jpeg
    upload_2014-10-31_16-25-33.jpeg
    1 KB · Views: 39
I would also like to interview at UMD, and I also got that email over the weekend. I was just placed on 'Hold' -- hopefully that will translate to an interview eventually. I emailed Dr. Bond my interest. Is there anyone else I can get in touch with? Thanks a lot!

Dr Bond is the contact. Just sit on your hands and wait as best you can. Lots of calls/emails/etc. will only hurt you (I speak from experience!)

Attachments

• upload_2014-10-31_16-26-21.jpeg
    upload_2014-10-31_16-26-21.jpeg
    1 KB · Views: 30
As the interview season begins to gear up, I wanted to give the medical students a chance to ask questions about our program. I generally repost them anonymously here so that others can also benefit, but I am happy to answer questions privately.

Just a few recent highlights:

We have 13 categorical residents per year in our 3-year program (2 IM/EM and 2 EM/Peds). Residents all get membership to ACEP, AAEM, SAEM, and EMRA. Interns go to the annual SAEM meeting, juniors to AAEM, and seniors to ACEP. They also get iPads and several texts, including Dr Mattu's EKG books.

Our residents now rotate through UMMC, the VA, Mercy, Children’s National Medical Center, Upper Chesapeake, and Prince George Hospital. PG is the newest addition, and it has been very well received. PG serves a very sick and needy population, and we spend a month there for intern and junior year. I always ended up running the acute area (4 critical care beds), with intubations and lines every shift.

There's a bunch of other positives and I could go on for awhile, but send me your PMs or post below. Good luck!

As the interview season begins to gear up, I wanted to give the medical students a chance to ask questions about our program. I generally repost them anonymously here so that others can also benefit, but I am happy to answer questions privately.

Just a few recent highlights:

We have 13 categorical residents per year in our 3-year program (2 IM/EM and 2 EM/Peds). Residents all get membership to ACEP, AAEM, SAEM, and EMRA. Interns go to the annual SAEM meeting, juniors to AAEM, and seniors to ACEP. They also get iPads and several texts, including Dr Mattu's EKG books.

Our residents now rotate through UMMC, the VA, Mercy, Children’s National Medical Center, Upper Chesapeake, and Prince George Hospital. PG is the newest addition, and it has been very well received. PG serves a very sick and needy population, and we spend a month there for intern and junior year. I always ended up running the acute area (4 critical care beds), with intubations and lines every shift.

There's a bunch of other positives and I could go on for awhile, but send me your PMs or post below. Good luck!
If I apply to go to this residency, do I get to share a call room with Heather Locklear in a police uniform?

If so- Guilty As Charged