Ask an Air Force Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No one there wanted to do any endo, but I love endo and was doing quite a bit in private practice. I provided comprehensive dentistry there, but I also provided all the endo. It was a blast.

Sounds like a scenario I would like. Why doesn't the AF let you apply for endo specialty programs right out of school?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a scenario I would like. Why doesn't the AF let you apply for endo specialty programs right out of school?
It's one of our more competitive programs to get into. We have several Dentists with a few years under their belt who apply. We have more than enough highly qualified applicants already on AD to fill the training slots. It's just a numbers thing.

AFDDS,

Thanks again for all your input on the forum. I'm sure you spend a lot of time with our questions so know we all appreciate your time.

What is the payback for a 2 yr AEGD? Are both years neutral, the first, or neither?

I was told you need a 2yr if you would like to teach an AEGD one day. Is that true? If so, how soon after your 2yr AEGD could you teach in an AEGD environment?

thanks again,
Driller

Members don't see this ad :)
AFDDS,

Thanks again for all your input on the forum. I'm sure you spend a lot of time with our questions so know we all appreciate your time.

What is the payback for a 2 yr AEGD? Are both years neutral, the first, or neither? both years are neutral, but you pay your training back with your HPSP time. So if you have 4 years of HPSP and 2 years for the AEGD, you will be in the AF a minimum of 6 years.

I was told you need a 2yr if you would like to teach an AEGD one day. Is that true? If so, how soon after your 2yr AEGD could you teach in an AEGD environment? It's on a case by case basis. I went directly from my AEGD 2 to a teaching assignmnet as a captain. That doesn't happen very often for captains and is more common if you are a higher rank. That being said, I did it and my new deputy this summer is doing it. You just need to tell them right up front what you want to do.

thanks again,
Driller

To you and to all of you that have thanked me for my time, You are welcome. I heard about this site from one of my Army colleagues and he had said there wasn't much of an AF presence here and I wanted to change that. I would also like to thank you for taking the time to ask questions and educate yourselves about the career path you are about to embark on. Thanks for dedicating at least some your time/career to taking care of our military members and for your upcoming service to our country.

Reactions: 1 user
Hopefully this hasn't been asked before, does the AF use an electronic patient charting system? Also, does the AF use digital radiographs?

Hopefully this hasn't been asked before, does the AF use an electronic patient charting system? It's coming. Rollout should start soon. Also, does the AF use digital radiographs? Yes. AF started this initiative in 2007. We also have CEREC units
We have upgraded almost all of our bases to digital radiography and should be compelte soon.

Just reading through the posts and was wondering about something....could you clarify what you mean when you say that if you elect to go to Korea, you "get a guaranteed follow on assignment"? Thanks!

Just reading through the posts and was wondering about something....could you clarify what you mean when you say that if you elect to go to Korea, you "get a guaranteed follow on assignment"? Thanks!
If you get orders to Korea, you are given places with openings the following year. You give the assignments office your choice and they go ahead and give you orders to the place you want to go guaranteed.

when one chooses a base/permanent duty station in the US, is the minimum committment 4 years on a 3 yr scholarship?

If you get orders to Korea, you are given places with openings the following year. You give the assignments office your choice and they go ahead and give you orders to the place you want to go guaranteed.

Based on these incentives, is it safe to assume Korea is a fairly easy assignment to get if you want it? Does the proximity to N. Korea make it a place deemed unsafe for families to go?

And in general for international bases, are their equipment/facilities as updated as the CONUS bases?

Thanks!

Based on these incentives, is it safe to assume Korea is a fairly easy assignment to get if you want it? Usually fairly easy to get. Does the proximity to N. Korea make it a place deemed unsafe for families to go? Currently all Korea assignments are unaccompanied in the AF.

And in general for international bases, are their equipment/facilities as updated as the CONUS bases? Yes.

Thanks!
Korea assignments vary from year to year on number open.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
I'm going to be stationed at Eglin AFB for an AEGD this year...does anyone know my chances for staying there for the rest of my four year assignment, or at least a few years after? my fiancee is from pensacola and is starting up in a dental practice in the area...so I'd like to stick around Eglin as long as possible!

How does the ADHPLRP work?

You become eligible to apply for it once you've been on AD for 6 months. For the AF, you can sign up for 2 years worth at a time. It's a year for a year payback. Pays close to $40K per year or up to 72% of you loans directly to the lender.

Hi everyone,
I'm going to be stationed at Eglin AFB for an AEGD this year...does anyone know my chances for staying there for the rest of my four year assignment, or at least a few years after? my fiancee is from pensacola and is starting up in a dental practice in the area...so I'd like to stick around Eglin as long as possible!

I don't want to burst your bubble, but your chances are slim to none. You might get one of the other Florida bases, but that's asking alot.

What is the chance of a freshly graduated dental student getting into an ortho residency?

What is the chance of a freshly graduated dental student getting into an ortho residency?

Slim. We have several highly qualified applicants already on active duty with an AEGD under their belt and some experience. It's hard to compete with that right out of school. I've known several people that have gone to Ortho right out of their AEGD or a year or so later though.

Hi AFDDS, thank you for taking the time answering all of our questions. I was going through the previous posts and found that minimum time on station for CONUS tours is 4 years. Does this mean that even with a 3 year hpsp, we must spend 4 years with the AF? And if we do a 1 year AEGD, it means that we will spend a total of 5 years in the Air Force?

there is the post i am referring to:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7453664&postcount=227

Hi AFDDS, thank you for taking the time answering all of our questions. I was going through the previous posts and found that minimum time on station for CONUS tours is 4 years. Does this mean that even with a 3 year hpsp, we must spend 4 years with the AF? No. If you only owe 3 you will only spend three years at that location. And if we do a 1 year AEGD, it means that we will spend a total of 5 years in the Air Force? If you have a 3 year obligation and accept an AEGD, you will spend 4 years on AD. 1 at your AEGD location and 3 at another location.

there is the post i am referring to:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7453664&postcount=227

I guess I should make the disclaimer on some of my posts and say "within the limitations you have discussed, this is the answer."

The AF can't make you spend extra time on AD. You must sign papers to agree to it. For instance, if you move from CONUS to OCONUS, you automatically acquire a 2 year ADSO (active duty service obligation) and a DEROS (Date Expected to Return from Overseas) for 3 years.

OK. So lets say you only have 1 year left on your obligation and you have to move, what happens. You will be given a choice, take the assignment and sign a contract to extend to the end of your DEROS or turn the assignment down and move to another CONUS location (moving to a CONUS location only give you a 1 year ADSO and it will be served concurrently with your existing ADSO). It will all depend on how bad you want to go overseas on whether or not you sign the contract.

Thanks for the clarifications, but I am still a little confused about the time requirement. If the 3-year HSPS'ers decide to forgo the 1 year AEGD and get assigned to a CONUS station, they will only spend 3 years serving at the assigned CONUS station and can then be seperated from the military and begin practicing as a civilian dentist?

Thanks for the clarifications, but I am still a little confused about the time requirement. If the 3-year HSPS'ers decide to forgo the 1 year AEGD and get assigned to a CONUS station, they will only spend 3 years serving at the assigned CONUS station and can then be seperated from the military and begin practicing as a civilian dentist?

yes

Hmm, so in the continental US, you are assigned at a base for a minimum of 3 years? So, a person with a 3 year scholarship will only serve their active duty requirement at one base unless they're deployed? So realistically, a person serving 3 years shouldn't expect any transfers then?

Hmm, so in the continental US, you are assigned at a base for a minimum of 3 years? If you only have 3 years of ADSO. If you have 4 the minimum is 4. So, a person with a 3 year scholarship will only serve their active duty requirement at one base unless they're deployed? So realistically, a person serving 3 years shouldn't expect any transfers then?
If you only owe 3, are not doing an AEGD, and are not going to an OCONUS location unaccompanied with a less than 36 month DEROS, you will not move.

It's one of our more competitive programs to get into. We have several Dentists with a few years under their belt who apply. We have more than enough highly qualified applicants already on AD to fill the training slots. It's just a numbers thing.

To add on to this, I volunteered as an assistant at Lackland AFB for a year rotating between the different specialties just to gain valuable experience and education. While I was there, 4 endodontic residents rotated through. Of the 4, 1 was a Captain who was accepted during his first tour, 2 were Majors whom had at least 6 years under their belts as AF dentists and the other was a Lt Col who put on the bird Col during the 2nd yr of the program. So, as AFDDS said, you can see that the AF had plenty of very qualified candidates for the 2 yearly slots (sometimes 3 or 4 if there is a need) that they pick from.

Hello...I am currently applying for the 3 year HPSP and my recruiter is not the best at keeping consistent contact with me so I have just a few questions:

Will I have to go through basic training in addition to COT? (I have been trying to explain the program to my family and they just cannot believe that I don't have to go through basic training at all)

When do I go to COT? Right after I graduate from dental school or while I am in dental school?

What kinds of things will I be doing during the 45 AD days I am required to serve each year while in school (are they dentistry related?)? What if I can't serve that many days because of obligations with school?

What kind of firearm training (if any) will I receive as an AF dentist and do they give you any kind of special training if/when you are deployed?

Any help would be great:) Thanks in advance.

Hello...I am currently applying for the 3 year HPSP and my recruiter is not the best at keeping consistent contact with me so I have just a few questions:

Will I have to go through basic training in addition to COT? (I have been trying to explain the program to my family and they just cannot believe that I don't have to go through basic training at all)

When do I go to COT? Right after I graduate from dental school or while I am in dental school?

What kinds of things will I be doing during the 45 AD days I am required to serve each year while in school (are they dentistry related?)? What if I can't serve that many days because of obligations with school?

What kind of firearm training (if any) will I receive as an AF dentist and do they give you any kind of special training if/when you are deployed?

Any help would be great:) Thanks in advance.

You do not have to attend Basic (BMT). Cot is BMT for dental officers.

You can go to COT while in school if you have time, or you can attend after graduation

Your 45 days "duty" is usually going to class.

You qualify with your weapon every 3 years. This changes all the time. I've qualified every year, every 3 years and every 5 years. You will get some training each year you qualify and more if you deploy.

Is it true that the 1 year AEGD will now be counted as a payback year? I am on the 3 year HPSP so if I am accepted to an AEGD program, I will complete the program for a year and only owe an additional 2 years back? Thanks!

Is it true that the 1 year AEGD will now be counted as a payback year? I am on the 3 year HPSP so if I am accepted to an AEGD program, I will complete the program for a year and only owe an additional 2 years back? Thanks!
The AEGD is a neutral year if you are on a 3 or 4 year scholarship. It only counts for payback if you are on a 1 or 2 year scholarship.

As I understand the HPSP dental program and matriculation into the Air Force, it is required to apply or the AEGD 1. I realize acceptances to these programs are contingent upon grades, class ranks, board scores, ect, but do you have an idea as to what percentage of applicants are accepted to the AEGD 1 programs? Also, are you a more attractive residency applicant if you have served several years in the AF as a dentist before applying versus applying directly after graduation from school? Thank you very much for your time.

As I understand the HPSP dental program and matriculation into the Air Force, it is required to apply or the AEGD 1. I realize acceptances to these programs are contingent upon grades, class ranks, board scores, ect, but do you have an idea as to what percentage of applicants are accepted to the AEGD 1 programs? Also, are you a more attractive residency applicant if you have served several years in the AF as a dentist before applying versus applying directly after graduation from school? Thank you very much for your time.
AEGD-1 programs are only open to new graduates. AF has about 80 AEGD-1 training slots each year for 110 applicants. That usually works out ok, since some will go to a traditional specialty or will not attend an AEGD. All our slots get filled, so it's close to 80%.

I am in the 4-year HPSP and my first year of dental school starts soon.
My benefit letter said that I will get about $25000 per year for living. Since my school is in New York, I need to know how much I will get each month before I decide my apt. As I know, about $24000 out of $25000 is taxable which I will get less than $25000 per year. I am wondering how much exactly I will get and how much I can get it back from tax.

Also, I am wondering why am I going to COT now? I was discharged from the Army in 2004 and I forgot many things for 4 years.
I may forget many things I will have learned from COT after my dental school?
I'm just curious.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I am in the 4-year HPSP and my first year of dental school starts soon.
My benefit letter said that I will get about $25000 per year for living. Since my school is in New York, I need to know how much I will get each month before I decide my apt. As I know, about $24000 out of $25000 is taxable which I will get less than $25000 per year. I am wondering how much exactly I will get and how much I can get it back from tax.

Also, I am wondering why am I going to COT now? I was discharged from the Army in 2004 and I forgot many things for 4 years.
I may forget many things I will have learned from COT after my dental school?
I'm just curious.

Thank you.

Right now, I believe my after-tax stipend is around $1600. As far as getting it back, I believe I get everything back, but I also get to claim a child tax credit, so it may not be the same for you.

I've also wondered about why the 4-year kids go to COT before school. I'm staring my 4th year of school, and I've forgotten a ton from COT. Another aspect of it that was very disappointing is that while at COT, those people who are not going directly into active duty (ie...the people who will be going to school and, thus, on reserve duty) don't go to all the same lectures as the active duty folks. You will go to lectures about being reservists that don't really help or pertain to you at all, while they go to lectures on aspects of active duty, like moving from base to base, etc. Being prior military, it's probably not as big a deal for you, but having no prior experience with it, I was very disappointed. I feel like I can put on a uniform (although, since the BDU's have changed, that's not necessarily true) and I can probably get through a march, but there's a lot I wasn't taught or don't remember.

So, Why COT before or during dental school?

If you wait to attend COT after you graduate from Dental School, you will start COT around the first of July. You would finish COT around the first part of August. AF specialty residencies start 1 July. You must compelte COT in order to start a specialty residency, so you must do COT while in Dental School in order to be eligible to apply to specialty programs and be eligible to start right after graduation if that is your desire. I know that not everyone will want to specialize right after graduation, but we need to plan ahead for COT class seats, etc... and attending while in school or before school is the easiest on you.

Take good notes and don't worry, you won't forget so much. You'll pick it up right away.

AEGD programs start in Aug and aren't really affected by this much.

Right now, I believe my after-tax stipend is around $1600. As far as getting it back, I believe I get everything back, but I also get to claim a child tax credit, so it may not be the same for you.

I've also wondered about why the 4-year kids go to COT before school. I'm staring my 4th year of school, and I've forgotten a ton from COT. Another aspect of it that was very disappointing is that while at COT, those people who are not going directly into active duty (ie...the people who will be going to school and, thus, on reserve duty) don't go to all the same lectures as the active duty folks. You will go to lectures about being reservists that don't really help or pertain to you at all, while they go to lectures on aspects of active duty, like moving from base to base, etc. Being prior military, it's probably not as big a deal for you, but having no prior experience with it, I was very disappointed. I feel like I can put on a uniform (although, since the BDU's have changed, that's not necessarily true) and I can probably get through a march, but there's a lot I wasn't taught or don't remember.
COT has 2 programs. COT and RCOT. RCOT is Reserve COT and focuses on the Reserves and is shorter than COT. If you are on HPSP and attending COT, you should be doing the full version of COT.

COT has 2 programs. COT and RCOT. RCOT is Reserve COT and focuses on the Reserves and is shorter than COT. If you are on HPSP and attending COT, you should be doing the full version of COT.

I did the full version, but they seperated the people who were going directly to their duty station from those who were going back to school and would be reservists while in school. I had lectures about what it's like being in the reserves, space-a travel, etc while others in my flight who were finished with school went to lectures on being on active duty, your first duty station, moving, etc. Most of the time we were all in the same classes, but we were split up a few times, and I wish I was able to get that info instead of the reservist stuff that didn't really matter/apply to me. That's all I was saying.

I did the full version, but they seperated the people who were going directly to their duty station from those who were going back to school and would be reservists while in school. I had lectures about what it's like being in the reserves, space-a travel, etc while others in my flight who were finished with school went to lectures on being on active duty, your first duty station, moving, etc. Most of the time we were all in the same classes, but we were split up a few times, and I wish I was able to get that info instead of the reservist stuff that didn't really matter/apply to me. That's all I was saying.

Strange. I don't remember anyone being separated when I went to COT. I'll pass this info along so everyone knows this is happening. Don't know that it will change, but I'm sure our leadership would like to know this.

As of my COT class in July 2008 this was not the case. Whether you were a dentist that just graduated and was heading into active duty following COT or a medical student that was between their first and second years (who would remain on reserve status until graduation)– everyone received the same military training education. Everyone was intermixed in COT for everyday for the entire month, except for maybe 3 hours on one of the final days. If you are referring to RCOT, then yes, they do their own thing and are not mixed with the COT students. However, if you are on the HPSP and are going into active duty someday, then you should have gone to COT.

When did you go to COT?

I am currently in private practice (periodontics) and considering joining.

Is there any application for a periodontist in military dentistry?
What is a typical "first three year progression" ?

Thanks !

I am currently in private practice (periodontics) and considering joining.

Is there any application for a periodontist in military dentistry?
What is a typical "first three year progression" ?

Thanks !
1st step is to contact your regional recruiter. We have periodontists all over the AF. Some work in teaching at our AEGD or specialty programs, some are purely clinical, and some are in command positions.

Your first 3 years would depend on how long you have been in private practice and what your desires are. Typically, you would come in as a captain and promotion opportunities usually happen every 6 years. It can come sooner than that. You will most likely be all clinical for your first years, but may have some teaching duties mixed in as well. Even if you come in as a Lt Col, you would be clinical or in education at first so you could get used to the administrative parts.

Last edited:
AFDDS

I have an employee looking to make some extra money and serve the country. She is wanting to join the Air Guard in our state. I called the recruiter (a SGT) who said there were no assistant positions in the Air Guard, but to check the Air Reserve.

In the Air Reserve, what kind of incentives are they offering for enlisted personnel? She seeks to do the same thing (dental assisting).

How long is the contract?

How long and how often are deployments? What is the dwell time in between?

Thanks for your answers.

I have a quick question about COT.

How much running actually goes on during the training program? I've read several things that say running 5 miles a day should get you prepared for the physical training at COT. Also, how imperative is starting a physical conditioning program before beginning training at COT.

Thanks for any help.

I have a quick question about COT.

How much running actually goes on during the training program? I've read several things that say running 5 miles a day should get you prepared for the physical training at COT. Also, how imperative is starting a physical conditioning program before beginning training at COT.

Thanks for any help.

If you run 5 miles a day before COT, you will be fine.....you would be fine if you ran 2 miles a day, as long as you tried to do a good pace. You run almost every morning for PT, but the running makes up for about 25 minutes of the 1 hr workout around the track...most of the time you run at your own pace. But you will have to take the PFB (physical fitness baseline) and the PFA (physical fitness assessment). You can fail the PFB, since its a baseline test; but you really need to pass the PFA, or else you will have to take it again or ask for some type of exception (a lot more hassle). Don't expect to be able to change your fitness level by a ton during training. Like I said, you run for about 20-25 minutes in the morning, at your own pace, right after waking up from a restful 4 hrs of sleep. The fitness test is a 1.5 mile run. The time limit varies depending on your age definitely and your height maybe. The numbers are online somewhere if you really want ot find out. Overall, as long as you are in fairly decent shape (are active, play some type of recreational sport occasionally, and are not extremely overweight) you will be fine

If you run 5 miles a day before COT, you will be fine.....you would be fine if you ran 2 miles a day, as long as you tried to do a good pace. You run almost every morning for PT, but the running makes up for about 25 minutes of the 1 hr workout around the track...most of the time you run at your own pace. But you will have to take the PFB (physical fitness baseline) and the PFA (physical fitness assessment). You can fail the PFB, since its a baseline test; but you really need to pass the PFA, or else you will have to take it again or ask for some type of exception (a lot more hassle). Don't expect to be able to change your fitness level by a ton during training. Like I said, you run for about 20-25 minutes in the morning, at your own pace, right after waking up from a restful 4 hrs of sleep. The fitness test is a 1.5 mile run. The time limit varies depending on your age definitely and your height maybe. The numbers are online somewhere if you really want ot find out. Overall, as long as you are in fairly decent shape (are active, play some type of recreational sport occasionally, and are not extremely overweight) you will be fine
Good advice to follow. If you're not on a workout plan now, you need to be. The AF takes fitness seriously.

AFDDS

I have an employee looking to make some extra money and serve the country. She is wanting to join the Air Guard in our state. I called the recruiter (a SGT) who said there were no assistant positions in the Air Guard, but to check the Air Reserve.
Must have meant no openings in the Guard for your state.

In the Air Reserve, what kind of incentives are they offering for enlisted personnel? She seeks to do the same thing (dental assisting).Can't say for sure. I don't know if they have a bonus for dental techs (4Y0X1) or not.

How long is the contract? When I was in the Guard the minimum was 6 years. Not sure if that is the same for the Reserves.

How long and how often are deployments? What is the dwell time in between?I can't say on this one. I can tell you for AD, but even that is variable.

Thanks for your answers.
She should contact her reserve recruiter right away. They will have all the exact answers for this.

I am applying for DS this summer and I had some questions about AF scholarships.
1) what are some options for me (3 yr, 4 yr, etc)?
2) when does the application cycle open/close?
3) where is the application?
4) Do you apply for the HPSP at the same time as you apply to DS or the after you get accepted to DS?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I am applying for DS this summer and I had some questions about AF scholarships.
1) what are some options for me (3 yr, 4 yr, etc)?4 year and 3 year
2) when does the application cycle open/close? you start applying when you apply to dental school.
3) where is the application? You can get one from a recruiter.
4) Do you apply for the HPSP at the same time as you apply to DS or the after you get accepted to DS? Yes

Thanks.

Contact a recruiter now. Many people wait until they have the DS acceptance and find out it is too late. You really need to start your app for both at the same time.