Ask an Army Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Krmower, do you know where the pedo training locations are?

Baylor - Dallas, TX Civilian School. 1-2 spots/yr. Past 3 years a 1:5 ration on applicants to spots.

Members don't see this ad.

Baylor - Dallas, TX Civilian School. 1-2 spots/yr. Past 3 years a 1:5 ration on applicants to spots.

Great program at Baylor. My brother is in it right now as a civilian resident. The 2 Army residents didn't get accepted until after 4 yrs of active duty as a general dentist.

I read that overseas housing allowance is capped at wherever you live whereas stateside you get a set amount per month. Example, if the max rate of living is $1600 in germany and your apartment costs $1000/month, the army will only issue you $1000 in BAH - is this true?

Members don't see this ad :)
I read that overseas housing allowance is capped at wherever you live whereas stateside you get a set amount per month. Example, if the max rate of living is $1600 in germany and your apartment costs $1000/month, the army will only issue you $1000 in BAH - is this true?

I've been overseas in Hawaii and it was not capped. I can't speak for Europe or Asia.

Speaking for Korea when I was a MSC officer, yes, it will only cover what your rent is... that was the case when i was stationed at Yongsan, South Korea, Hawaii on the other hand is not, you will get your allowable BAH. So I would assume that would be the case with Germany similiar to Korea....

Last edited:

In Europe you are still given a specified amount per rank but if you don't spend it all on your lease then the government keeps its. As others have stated OCONUS (Alaska/Hawaii) and CONUS you are again given a specified amount regardless of your expenditures.

Could we buy a house or apartment in a foreign country and have the gov't put up the max. amount?

I've received material from the Army National Guard and wondered if you could give any insight about how their dentists are different from what you do.

I've received material from the Army National Guard and wondered if you could give any insight about how their dentists are different from what you do.

I'm assuming you're speaking to active duty posters. Active duty dentists are army dentists 7 days a week, and their duties vary on their position (clinic vs. field unit). National Guard and TPU Reserve dentists drill one weekend a month, 2 weeks a year, until they deploy where they become full time dentists for the army. IMA Reserve dentists drill 2-4 weeks straight in one calendar year, until they are called up to do a 3 month rotation.

In any case, the National Guard unit that I'm about to join is the Medical Command unit for the state. Essentially the unit is a full hospital staff (to include physicians, dentists, nurses, medics, admin, etc.) Duties obviously can vary from state to state, but the dentists in the MEDCOM here do dental examinations for the most part (weekend drill and two week active duty time). One big perk I'm looking forward to is that the ARNG pays for a week long room/board/travel/tuition CE course each year.

What's the first year like for new graduates in the army, in terms of types of procedures that can be done?

Without an AEGD, are general dentists really limited or is this base dependent/specific?

What kind of CE courses are GP qualified for or able to attend?

What's the first year like for new graduates in the army, in terms of types of procedures that can be done?

Without an AEGD, are general dentists really limited or is this base dependent/specific?

What kind of CE courses are GP qualified for or able to attend?

As part of the inprocessing, your local DENTAC will have you read and sign a form stating what your privileges are. Its been awhile, but I remember it stating, you can do most operative and restorative procesures, but not place implants, or not do apicoectomies. This is to protect soldiers from dentists who think their patient pool is their own testing ground.

In my experience, general dentists are not really limited to the types of procedures within their privileges. Using the above example, if I did want to place an implant or do an apico it would be with the direct supervision of an AEGD mentor (even though I wasn't in the AEGD program). The mentors always invited me to bring in cases that they would be more than happy to work with me on.

Somewhere in this thread is the link to the AMEDD website where all army CE courses are listed. Most of them are open to all dentists. I've been to the endo course at Fort Gordon and the materials course at Fort Sam Houston, and both were worthwhile. The only ones that are limited are admin courses (rank dependent) and the oral surgery courses which have certain prereq requirements.

https://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/documents.aspx?docs=145

Cool, I'm slightly worried our other skills will go to the $hits if we have to only perform a certain set of approved procedures.

Do we get to do more over time or is AEGD or training required?

Cool, I'm slightly worried our other skills will go to the $hits if we have to only perform a certain set of approved procedures.

2 ways to do more are:

1) post grad training

2) apply for credentials to do something you are not normally allowed and prove that you have proficiency so it is added to your list of things you can do.

What kinds of skill/procedures will you be acquiring that you won't be allowed to do that you will get proficient in and want to do? What skills/procedures are you going to be proficient in that might go to waste?

Members don't see this ad :)
2 ways to do more are:

1) post grad training

2) apply for credentials to do something you are not normally allowed and prove that you have proficiency so it is added to your list of things you can do.

What kinds of skill/procedures will you be acquiring that you won't be allowed to do that you will get proficient in and want to do? What skills/procedures are you going to be proficient in that might go to waste?

I hope to proficient in all of general dentistry and I heard we wouldn't be allowed to do RCT, is that true initially? I know my school requires 22 endo cases and 30+ crowns. I hope to continue performing those in the army but sounds like it will be limited until i can prove I can do iT? Is there any application process for that or is your CO the one that can tell you yes or no?

I hope to proficient in all of general dentistry and I heard we wouldn't be allowed to do RCT, is that true initially? I know my school requires 22 endo cases and 30+ crowns. I hope to continue performing those in the army but sounds like it will be limited until i can prove I can do iT? Is there any application process for that or is your CO the one that can tell you yes or no?

As a general dentist out of school you are able to do premolar and incisor endo. Single crowns also. I do not recall about FPDs or veneers.

it will vary from location to location. most will likely give you some time each week to do something other than amalgam and exams, but your time will, by far, be spent doing amalgam and exams.

it will just be up to you to press for more time doing other procedures and prove you are competent to do them.

the current needs of your clinic will be the biggest determinant of what you will be allowed to do. if your clinic is pushing to get lots of soldiers out of class 3, because a lot of soldiers are deploying or re-deploying, then the likelyhood of doing much pros is not good.
if the units your clinic services have lots of class 3 operative soldiers, then you probably won't be doing much pros.

BQuad, Is there anyway for a general dentist coming out of dental school on a military scholarship to get posted on the same base as his/her counterpart I kno that I would still have to do the whole basic training 1st? If so, is this a good Idea? How much do general dentist get paid in the military starting off?

Okay I've been in the military for total of 9yrs. Im already a 68E dental Assistant. I was active duty before, now im in the Reserves. I want to become a dentist and be an Officer. I want to Army to commisoned me. I just dont know what steps to take. UT Health Science center in San Antonio, TX is pretty good. Right now im deployed in Kosovo right now, and I want to stay on active duty. Once my deployment is over, how can I become a dentist and take the Dat test. I just dont trust a recruiter anymore.

Okay I've been in the military for total of 9yrs. Im already a 68E dental Assistant. I was active duty before, now im in the Reserves. I want to become a dentist and be an Officer. I want to Army to commisoned me. I just dont know what steps to take. UT Health Science center in San Antonio, TX is pretty good. Right now im deployed in Kosovo right now, and I want to stay on active duty. Once my deployment is over, how can I become a dentist and take the Dat test. I just dont trust a recruiter anymore.

Most of the early work is on you. You have to get accepted to dental school (any school) first. You can fill out all the paperwork with a recruiter, but that acceptance letter is the last peice they need before your packet is complete.

Once the packet is complete it will go to a board, and if you are picked up you will receive a direct commission. I went from E-4 to O-1 and it was very nice.

As far as the DAT - you typically take it in the spring/early summer before you begin applying and interviewing at schools. You can probably find some good information on that aspect of things on the pre-dental board.

BQuad, Is there anyway for a general dentist coming out of dental school on a military scholarship to get posted on the same base as his/her counterpart I kno that I would still have to do the whole basic training 1st? If so, is this a good Idea? How much do general dentist get paid in the military starting off?

If you guys are married then they will keep you together. If you are not - then there are no guarantees.

Coming on active duty you will get around $75,000. If you have your degree you can get a sign on bonus around $75,000 and/or take loan repayment around $40,000/yr. If you are still in dental school you can look at the HPSP scholarship which pays full tuition/expenses plus a living stipend around $2,000/month.

Most of the early work is on you. You have to get accepted to dental school (any school) first. You can fill out all the paperwork with a recruiter, but that acceptance letter is the last peice they need before your packet is complete.

Once the packet is complete it will go to a board, and if you are picked up you will receive a direct commission. I went from E-4 to O-1 and it was very nice.

As far as the DAT - you typically take it in the spring/early summer before you begin applying and interviewing at schools. You can probably find some good information on that aspect of things on the pre-dental board.

Thx for the info, I dont have any degree right now. Im working on my associate. since I have no Bachelors Degree, will this halt my progress?

Thx for the info, I dont have any degree right now. Im working on my associate. since I have no Bachelors Degree, will this halt my progress?

hey tx, you need a bachelors degree before you can enter dental school. There are a few schools that don't require degrees but all of them are super competitive. So finish up your associates and get a bachelors and apply to dental school!

Are there any differences between men dentists in the military and female dentists? How many hpsp scholarships are given out per year and how many females are given the scholarship opposed to men?

Are there any differences between men dentists in the military and female dentists? How many hpsp scholarships are given out per year and how many females are given the scholarship opposed to men?

yep, the men type have a penis and the women type have a vagina. :D

Seriously, no difference between male dentists and female dentists in the military. no difference in the number of scholarships - men vs women.

assuming no war in a few years, will there still be a lot of dentists deploying? Also how many dentists are currently deployed in iraq/afgan?

Can anyone speak on the report of Capt. Tina Mahuika, she basically received the 3 yr. Hpsp scholarship from the Army to pay for her DS. Well, when she got out of school back in May 2005 became an army dentist, served the 3 years until July 2008, she requested resignation in Aug 2007 and two more additional times but was declined because her unit was deploying to Iraq in May 2008. She accepted $12,000 bonus to remain with the service for an additional 1 year. It was said that her unit being "stop-lossed" was the reason behind the whole fiasco.
Stop loss is defined as a "Backdoor Draft" because it forces troops who would otherwise be able to leave the army be deployed.

~Has that happened to any of the Army dents here?
~Is this something people should have to consider when accepting the HPSP?
~What are the downsides to receiving the HPSP scholarship that most people are not aware of?
In my opinion I would think that a captain in the military also being a doctor would have preference.

Thanks you for your reply....

Can anyone speak on the report of Capt. Tina Mahuika, she basically received the 3 yr. Hpsp scholarship from the Army to pay for her DS. Well, when she got out of school back in May 2005 became an army dentist, served the 3 years until July 2008, she requested resignation in Aug 2007 and two more additional times but was declined because her unit was deploying to Iraq in May 2008. She accepted $12,000 bonus to remain with the service for an additional 1 year. It was said that her unit being "stop-lossed" was the reason behind the whole fiasco.
Stop loss is defined as a "Backdoor Draft" because it forces troops who would otherwise be able to leave the army be deployed.

~What are the downsides to receiving the HPSP scholarship that most people are not aware of?
In my opinion I would think that a captain in the military also being a doctor would have preference.

Sketchy situation, sounds like she was part of a TOE unit otherwise she wouldn't be deploying with her unit right? Sorry to hear about that, especially since she is a single mother

assuming no war in a few years, will there still be a lot of dentists deploying? Also how many dentists are currently deployed in iraq/afgan?

Information on exact numbers of dentists deployed is not releasable information.

We would hope with the draw down we have less deployed dentists - part of that will depend on what happens in Afghanistan.

Last edited:
2 ways to do more are:

1) post grad training

Yes, I talked to one of my friends who is going to the perio program this year. He said the main reason is that, he can CONCURRENTLY pay back his obligations in the army . It makes sense that 1 stone for 2 birds. It is a good deal if you can pay back the HPSP and the post grad training at the same time.

Yes, i know someone personally got stop-lossed with an depolying unit. I am kinda surprised that she got stop lossed considering she turned her REFRAD in 1 year prior her ETS date. They usually lock you in if you turn in your paperwork on time.

Well, right now, the army is throwing lots money on people to get in because almost all the general dentists i know are getting out. That is why they need people to deploy to combat. So, i think if you owe 4 years HPSP ADSO, it is almost guranteed that you will deploy one way or the other.

However, for females, i found that is easy to get away with all kinds of "good" reasons. Of course, the main one is to get pregnant. Others, you have to be creative, and just think!!!!

Thanks you for your reply....[/QUOTE]

I forgot to mention that, being a CPT in the army as a dentist is considered as a private because you are nobody. There is no privileges for you at all. I have seen too many COls without combat patches on(never deploy) in 20 years. How can you serve 20 years and never be deployed? For us, it is hard to get away with deployments even if you serve only 4 years. I admit army has certain advantages especially you have a house wife who does not do anything. Then, all that free medical care for the family and for kids are worth lots money. So, i guess it is very situation dependent. I can't speak for other people, but, for my situation, i will be a fool to stay in as a general dentist.

I wish i knew about this website before i signed up for it. I would think about it twice. However, it is almost over for me, and I don't regret my decisions.

Wow. I'd never thnk the Army would be sold out so soon. I've heard the same for AF and Navy.

Well, i think this is due to the bad economy and also people are speculating that we are leaving Iraq. Well, afgan is next....

hey tx, you need a bachelors degree before you can enter dental school. There are a few schools that don't require degrees but all of them are super competitive. So finish up your associates and get a bachelors and apply to dental school!

My advice is not to waste your time with an Associates, and go straight to a Bachelor's.

However, for females, i found that is easy to get away with all kinds of "good" reasons. Of course, the main one is to get pregnant. Others, you have to be
creative, and just think!!!!

I forgot to mention that, being a CPT in the army as a dentist is considered as a private because you are nobody. There is no privileges for you at all.

Giving advice to others on how to sham the system reflects poorly on a dental officer, especially in a public forum.

I feel sorry for you if your time in the Army leaves you the impression that being a captain is like being a private. I have a feeling that you were either taken advantage of, or you never really learned how to carry your rank. I don't mean that as a personal attack, but many young dentists go through their short career that way.

I read the Stars and Stripes article... interesting reading.

It seems that she is the victim of an unsympathetic chain of command (the original LTC who denied her request) and also the victim of techinical circumstances (HRC originally denying her leave). It's pretty clear at this point that she has earned enough sympathy on the brigade level as well as enough publicity to help her along out of the army. I'm certainly that this is a unique or at least rare case of stop loss going horribly wrong.

While deployed in 2003, I met at least 3 dentists who were stop lossed. They were supposed to get out in the summer, they were held over, but allowed to leave by the end of the year I think. Sec of Def Gates has made it clear that the army will step down stop losses starting this year and almost completely phase them out by 2011 (according to the article).

"Backdoor draft" is the perjorative criticism of stop loss. I don't know what the exact wording is, but the army does write a clause into the contract stating that a soldier may be involuntarily extended beyond the contract.

Inability for a single parent to establish care for children at home while on deployment is a legitimate reason to non deploy, and I've seen that option legitimately exercised by both enlisted and officers. One big thing I'm assuming is that she's an excellent dental officer and is legitimate in her request. Of course I'd be less than sympathetic if word comes out that she shams all day long, gets poor OERs never reports to duty, etc. This situation has a high probablity of being politically distorted.

So 1stlady90, if you're thinking about taking the HPSP, this one situation is the exception, and not the rule.

Giving advice to others on how to sham the system reflects poorly on a dental officer, especially in a public forum.

I feel sorry for you if your time in the Army leaves you the impression that being a captain is like being a private. I have a feeling that you were either taken advantage of, or you never really learned how to carry your rank. I don't mean that as a personal attack, but many young dentists go through their short career that way.

I think the purpose of this forum is to allow freedom of speech otherwise would not be allowed in the military. All my comments are cold facts. But, with all my friends from different parts of the country and different races are speaking the same things.Then, we got a problem.I know some top notch CPTs in the army turned down the residency offered by the army and got into a civililan residency, and they were considered the "golden boy" by the superiors. Granted, some of people like you may get what you wanted,ie, a residency, that is why you can't tolerate people bad mouth about the military. Don't get me wrong, i like the military in many ways, but I am just trying to be critical about it. With my scores and caliber, I can easily get into a residency of my choice. Another thing i can't tolerate the military are the lies people tell you, from the superiors to the peers.I guess it is for the political purposes.

Bottom line, i honor my time in the military and served my time in Iraq most of "americans" would not want to do. I am just goona leave my spot for the new patriotic new CPTs to carry this legacy. Of course, I look down on people "ass kiss" their ways into a residency and leave for good after they are done with ADSO.

Do you think this doesn't occur in the civilian sector? If you do, you are very naive.

Oh yes, I think the civillian sector is even more of a jungle. I mean, i was told by many people that dentists are groups of a-holes, and i was offended by that comment. Now, Irealized it is very true from military to the civillian. With all the bad economical situation and competition, it is not surprising to see back stabbing and throat cutting out there. So, i kinda thanked the army trained me to be a tough minded man no matter what happens. Or, I should thank to the american tax payers not some COLs served in their nice offices without combat patches.

Well again, i think i am like most of the military dentists out there, have both good and bad feelings about the military. At least in the civillian sector you have the choice to go wherever you want and fire your a-hole boss if you want. Worst case senario, come back to the service! I have seen many 50 yrs old sold their practices and joined the army.

Would you say that HPSP is the way to go if I want to specialize?
I personally want to go into OMFS, and I've been told that it's a lot less competitive in the military. If so, in what branch would you think that I might have better selectivity on choosing residency?

This question is completely hypothetical.

If someone's husband was in Army Special Forces and they joined the army to be a dentist while he was in, would they be stationed together? Also how would deployments work? Could they deploy them at the same time even if they had children?

This question is completely hypothetical.

If someone's husband was in Army Special Forces and they joined the army to be a dentist while he was in, would they be stationed together? Also how would deployments work? Could they deploy them at the same time even if they had children?

There would be no guarantees, but the Army would make every effort to station husband and spouse at the same location. Since SF have a smaller numer of locations where they are stationed, there might be a small chance of not being assigned to the same location.
As far as deployments go...if you are familiar with SF, then you are familiar with their variable deployment patterns. Both spouses would not be deployed at the same time if there was not a reasonable family care plan for children. This might mean that children would have to stay with Grandparent, other family members, etc. These decisions are made on a case-by case basis - there are no absolute rules. If this hypothetical situation were true, you need to plan ahead for the chance that you might be forced to have a family care plan that is an option. Soldiers that cannot deploy are not much use to the Army.
I would suggest that the dentist look into working as a civilian contractor at the post where the SF soldier is stationed. And definitely talk to someone higher up in DENCOM, before joining, as opposed to just taking the word of a recruiter.

I personally want to go into OMFS, and I've been told that it's a lot less competitive in the military. If so, in what branch would you think that I might have better selectivity on choosing residency?

I wouldn't join just to specialize - if you don't get picked up for specialty or it takes you a couple years to get in - then you may not be happy. You have to be willing to join the military and do those things asked of you first.

Search the board for the specialty statistics/acceptance rate

I wouldn't join just to specialize - if you don't get picked up for specialty or it takes you a couple years to get in - then you may not be happy. You have to be willing to join the military and do those things asked of you first.

Search the board for the specialty statistics/acceptance rate

It is very ture. Take the orders from the superior is the first thing you should learn. But army specialty is not bad when you go to school and still get paid. I know someone sold his practice at 50 and joined the army just want to be an oral surgeon. If that is what your heart is, then go for it.

It is very ture. Take the orders from the superior is the first thing you should learn. But army specialty is not bad when you go to school and still get paid. I know someone sold his practice at 50 and joined the army just want to be an oral surgeon. If that is what your heart is, then go for it.
Yeah, well I really wouldn't mind being in the Army. After all, I've always wanted to be in the Army, and heard that it has good specialty selection as well. In that case, I think Army does suit what I am looking for.
Thanks for the advices.

I wouldn't say it's A LOT less competitive, though. Army has been selecting about 10 OMFS a year, about a half from fresh-dental grads and the other from practicing Army dentists. The ratio is not necessarily set in stone (i.e. the selection is based on merit), but year to year it was pretty consistent. So, if you're fresh out of d-school, you're competing against all the other HPSP crowd, which is many, who are also interested in OMFS but couldn't apply anywhere else. And yes, if you are in the HPSP, you have only one choice for OMFS: the Army (unless some dramatic event, such as a war, happens and the Army somehow requires more OMFSs'). Also, even if you made it, you don't start right away, but you'd need to wait a year, because the Army selects people one year in advance. The other half of the selectees (i.e. practicing army dentists), I wouldn't even mention, because last year one of them was a LTC (12+ yrs of service). However, I think it's an excellent program. The board pass rate was consistently in the 90s, and they do some of the most complicated procedures out there. Many OMFS residents tell me that the workload is literally crazy: living in the OR 7-5 treating/studying patients, and in the library for another 10 hrs or so studying. It's a lot of sacrifice for the families. I'm not sure other civilian residencies are also similar. :laugh:

I'm not stupid but I figured that the general trend is that the Army wants you to be in for 1, 2 maybe 3 years before giving you a slot into ortho, perio or endo. That's not to say its impossible to get in straight from dental school. It just seems like current army dentists that like the army will choose to go to residency training to eat up time and expand their skills.

The Army knows that if you are given an Ortho slot after of school, you will have your papers in for resignation when your payback is over. Giving the residency slot to you after 2 or 3 years ensures that the army gets to use you for those extra years without having to pay an outside contractor way more money.

Edit: If the Army wanted more retention with itis dentist and physicians, then all healthcare professionals should be paid able a min of $80k base salary + bah/benefits etc.

I'm not stupid but I figured that the general trend is that the Army wants you to be in for 1, 2 maybe 3 years before giving you a slot into ortho, perio or endo. That's not to say its impossible to get in straight from dental school. It just seems like current army dentists that like the army will choose to go to residency training to eat up time and expand their skills.

The Army knows that if you are given an Ortho slot after of school, you will have your papers in for resignation when your payback is over. Giving the residency slot to you after 2 or 3 years ensures that the army gets to use you for those extra years without having to pay an outside contractor way more money.

Edit: If the Army wanted more retention with itis dentist and physicians, then all healthcare professionals should be paid able a min of $80k base salary + bah/benefits etc.

exactly, but at the same time, i think it is fair because many of practicing army dentist gets shxxt all the time. amlgam lines, exams, i mean tens of thousands of them, and many of them got deployed and got their axx blown up. i mean, what more can you ask for? a kid out of dental school get into a residency without doing shxxt?