Ask an Army Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh very nice! That def changes my mind a bit. Is it not 500 hrs needed? I did know it was more extensive in training but did not know it added more to your completion of the fellowship (how crazy of me :eek:). Would I recieve more special pay during my 4 yr payback then or would that kick in after my commitment to another 4 yrs if I were to do that?

Yes, it is 500...1100 for the mastership.

You get 250 or 300 for the 2 year...they just changed it...I think it is 300 now...

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone here stationed at Fort Eustis or have any experience/opinions about it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question I have heard that the AF and Navy have filled up their slots scholarships for this yr but not the army is that true. Plus I have been reading the whole thread and talkin to my recuiter and what is the really timeline line for a dentist going overseas to war. The reason I asked is bc I keep on hearing 6 mths but ppl have told me different number. And is the army scholarship hard to get since the bad Economy. I have done my paperwork and tryin to figure out if their are scholarships left.

Quick question I have heard that the AF and Navy have filled up their slots scholarships for this yr but not the army is that true. Plus I have been reading the whole thread and talkin to my recuiter and what is the really timeline line for a dentist going overseas to war. The reason I asked is bc I keep on hearing 6 mths but ppl have told me different number. And is the army scholarship hard to get since the bad Economy. I have done my paperwork and tryin to figure out if their are scholarships left.

That is true. Army still has slots.

90%+ of deployments to Iraq/Afghanistan are 6 months. A very small number will go for 12 months.

Thank u. But I don't understand why ppl dont want to join the army. I have heard alot of bad things but I still don't see nothing wrong the army. TO me the military is the military no matter how u look at it.

How do you get into airborne school?

Thank u. But I don't understand why ppl dont want to join the army. I have heard alot of bad things but I still don't see nothing wrong the army. TO me the military is the military no matter how u look at it.

I think these are the reasons. Not saying I agree with them...

Air Force: Deployments are limited to 4 months maximum and bases are not in combat areas.

Navy: Bases are in more desireable locations (generally). The Navy is a lot of boats. Therefore their bases are usually near water and beaches (like San Diego) This is a major generalization but I think this is how it is perceived.

Just my two cents... I personally went with the Army scholarship

Air Force: Deployments are limited to 4 months maximum and bases are not in combat areas.

Navy: Bases are in more desireable locations (generally). The Navy is a lot of boats. Therefore their bases are usually near water and beaches (like San Diego) This is a major generalization but I think this is how it is perceived.

I did not realize Iraq and Afghanistan were non combat areas.

I did not realize Iraq and Afghanistan were non combat areas.

I'm not sure if you're trying to be a smart @$$ or you really just don't know. As far as I know, most Air Force bases are not in Iraq and Afghanistan and especially not the ones that have dental support. They are in supporting areas such as Turkey and Germany. If I am wrong then feel free to correct me. I admit I don't know a whole lot about the subject. I suggest you're a little more clear in your next post.

Even if I am wrong though, the reason still stands. I have many friends on Air Force HPSP and they all cite this as a reason they chose Air Force over other branches (wrong or right).

How do you get into airborne school?

Once you get to the DENTAC you will be working at, you ask your boss if he will let you go. He/she can allow you to go.

It is always easier to go if you are either assigned to Ft. Benning, or a Brigade Dental Surgeon at any base (a TOE dentist).

There is also air assault (repelling out of helicopters) and the Expert Field Medical Badge (check out my blog www.armystrongstories.com - May 09).

Is there an Army HPSP handbook that gives us all the know-how about the program?

krmower/AirborneDentist,

A while back AirborneDentist mentioned his career path so far, which was doing the 1-year AEGD, serving as a dentist and having fun in the 82nd Airborne Division, and then going into the 2-year AEGD.

That sounds like a great deal because you basically get up to speed with the 1-year, and then a few years down the road you refine your skills in the 2-year.

What is the negative side of that pathway vs. just going straight into the 2-year AEGD? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there an Army HPSP handbook that gives us all the know-how about the program?

The handbook is online. It is accessed through MODS. You will be given access to it. It was not around when I went through, so I can't tell you when you will get it - maybe someone else can.

krmower/AirborneDentist,

A while back AirborneDentist mentioned his career path so far, which was doing the 1-year AEGD, serving as a dentist and having fun in the 82nd Airborne Division, and then going into the 2-year AEGD.

That sounds like a great deal because you basically get up to speed with the 1-year, and then a few years down the road you refine your skills in the 2-year.

What is the negative side of that pathway vs. just going straight into the 2-year AEGD? Thank you.

All depends on what your ultimate goals are. For me I wanted to get trained up, and open myself up to the specialty pay as soon as possible if I decided to stay in (which I did). That would be the main difference is you will get bonus pay sooner.

Maybe Airborne can give you his take as well.

krmower/AirborneDentist,

When I was in dental school, I couldn't wait to get out of dental school. I was so done with school, I didn't even consider the 1 or 2 year program. In retrospect, I wish I did the 2 year program.

However, I do feel its a little redundant to do the 1 year and then the 2 year program. If you're looking to stretch out your time in teh military, then this would be one way to do it.

Thank you both. Yes, I am trying to stretch out my time in the military. I really like the idea of serving in a combat brigade, but I guess it just comes down to whether or not I'm willing to skip out on a couple of years of the multi-year retention bonus just to get that type of assignment. Has anyone heard of a 63B requesting a combat brigade slot and getting it?

My recruiter had a death in the family and took a week or two off. Unfortunately my application hasn't been submitted to higher command yet for the HPSP...is there anyway to get it worked on without my recruiter if she's going to be away for the next two weeks? Am I allowed to work with another recruiter in her office to get it in?

My recruiter had a death in the family and took a week or two off. Unfortunately my application hasn't been submitted to higher command yet for the HPSP...is there anyway to get it worked on without my recruiter if she's going to be away for the next two weeks? Am I allowed to work with another recruiter in her office to get it in?

Yeah that can be nerve wracking on your part. The responsible thing for your recruiter to have done was to hand you off to one of her colleagues to track the progress of your packet while she's on leave. That's where I think you should start...contact her and ask her for a substitute recruiter to track your packet. The last thing you want is your packet sitting around when paperwork needs to be tracked.

Thank you both. Yes, I am trying to stretch out my time in the military. I really like the idea of serving in a combat brigade, but I guess it just comes down to whether or not I'm willing to skip out on a couple of years of the multi-year retention bonus just to get that type of assignment. Has anyone heard of a 63B requesting a combat brigade slot and getting it?

In a brigade slot you may be in a forward support battalion (as part of a maneuver/line unit). Brigade slots are usually filled with CPTs and MAJs. Alternatively, you may deploy with a area support medical company, dental company or other medical unit.

Last edited:
krmower/AirborneDentist,

Hey,

I came out of school and actually didn't get into a one year program. As soon as I got to Bragg, I was deployed to Iraq. At first I wasn't happy with it, but it was a great experience and I learned a lot. After this, I did all the fun stuff, going to Airborne School, EFMB, etc...while I was in the 82nd. I deployed with them for 14 months as well.

After you do a 2 year, many of the "fun" slots are no longer available, such as Division slots, Special forces, etc. There are a LOT of guys in our program that did not know this, and want to do these jobs, but are unable to due to being a 63B.

A lot of it comes down to what you want to do. As Dr. Mower said, you can specialize right away and start getting your bonus money earlier...For me, I was glad to do the fun stuff, figure out my strengths/weaknesses in each discipline, then be able to hone those skills in the AEGD. I love the AEGD program and wish it was 5 years long, since we get to do so much cool stuff. Some people look at it as an obstacle to get past (just like 2 more years of school), I look at it as an opportunity to get a ton of education.

I think you gain a bigger appreciation of the AEGD program after you have been out for a couple years than just coming straight out of school.

Hope that helps a little!

Eric

63B (Comp dentists) don't get the slots. The reason being, is every place is given certain allocations. If they put a 63B in a 63A(general dentist) slot, that means some place else will lose a 63B. Most likely that is the DENTAC co-located at that base, and I don't see a Commander ever letting someone do that. I am aware of 1 slot in the Dental Corps now for a 63B that is like that.

If you are just looking for the chance to deploy, you can volunteer - you will go with either a dental company or a combat support hospital - believe it or not it is not easy to get those deployments. There are not a lot of spots, and you have other people volunteering as well.

Thank you everyone for the information. This is really helping me out. I still have a couple of years to think it through, but your help definitely makes the picture clearer for whenever I do make the decision for a residency (of course that depends on if I ever get accepted into a program:xf:).

63B (Comp dentists) don't get the slots. The reason being, is every place is given certain allocations. If they put a 63B in a 63A(general dentist) slot, that means some place else will lose a 63B. Most likely that is the DENTAC co-located at that base, and I don't see a Commander ever letting someone do that. I am aware of 1 slot in the Dental Corps now for a 63B that is like that.

If you are just looking for the chance to deploy, you can volunteer - you will go with either a dental company or a combat support hospital - believe it or not it is not easy to get those deployments. There are not a lot of spots, and you have other people volunteering as well.

I stand corrected :)

Probably a stupid question, but I was under the impression that with the HPSP you get to do 4 annual trainings while in dental school...but my recruiter said you only do one??

Probably a stupid question, but I was under the impression that with the HPSP you get to do 4 annual trainings while in dental school...but my recruiter said you only do one??

you do 3...one after each year...1st, 2nd, 3rd...after 4th you go to work for real. However, if you have year round schooling...you will still get paid for it..but you don't have to actually go anywhere...you just do it at school...which means getting a piece of paper signed. At our school (Kentucky), we had externships between 3rd and 4th year...so that is when I went..

When I was in dental school, I couldn't wait to get out of dental school. I was so done with school, I didn't even consider the 1 or 2 year program. In retrospect, I wish I did the 2 year program.

However, I do feel its a little redundant to do the 1 year and then the 2 year program. If you're looking to stretch out your time in teh military, then this would be one way to do it.

Question: How much is the one-year AEGD like school? How many didactic courses and tests do you have to take? I don't know if I can handle it if its course-heavy.

Thanks.

I was wondering whether its possible to get a guaranteed HPSP scholarship two years before I start dental school. I ask because I have been accepted to UOP's 2+3 accelerated dental program and am not sure whether I want to go there because its so darn expensive. However, if it were possible to have some contract that could guarantee me this scholarship, provided I get >3.5 GPA and >20 DAT for example, I would attend UOP in a heartbeat. Without some certainty that I will be able to get this scholarship, I will have serious reservations attending UOP because of the enormous debt burden (350k+). Any and all help is welcome and greatly appreciated.

Are there any 4 year ARMY HPSP scholarships left to be had? I've submitted all my paperwork, but my recruiter took off for a week and a half, it turns out, and when I called to ask for a substitute recruiter while she is off...she snubbed me off and told me to wait until she gets back...I then called the recruiting office and they gave me the cold shoulder as well...what's that about? The only thing I can think of is that there aren't any 4 year HPSPs left to give out and they don't need me to help their numbers anymore...

I was wondering whether its possible to get a guaranteed HPSP scholarship two years before I start dental school. I ask because I have been accepted to UOP's 2+3 accelerated dental program and am not sure whether I want to go there because its so darn expensive. However, if it were possible to have some contract that could guarantee me this scholarship, provided I get >3.5 GPA and >20 DAT for example, I would attend UOP in a heartbeat. Without some certainty that I will be able to get this scholarship, I will have serious reservations attending UOP because of the enormous debt burden (350k+). Any and all help is welcome and greatly appreciated.

If you're in the 2+3 UOP program, by the time you graduate, you'll be 3 years ahead of others doing 4+4. That's one thing to consider.

I'm not sure why you're asking fora 2 year scholarship when it looks like you need a 3 year.

While krmower is probably the ultimate authority in this, my gut instinct is to say that no, the army won't give you the two year scholarship without any history (grades or DAT) at all.

Question: How much is the one-year AEGD like school? How many didactic courses and tests do you have to take? I don't know if I can handle it if its course-heavy.

Thanks.

Good questions that I don't have the answer to since I participated in neither...

Maybe 25-35%...?

Are there any 4 year ARMY HPSP scholarships left to be had? I've submitted all my paperwork, but my recruiter took off for a week and a half, it turns out, and when I called to ask for a substitute recruiter while she is off...she snubbed me off and told me to wait until she gets back...I then called the recruiting office and they gave me the cold shoulder as well...what's that about? The only thing I can think of is that there aren't any 4 year HPSPs left to give out and they don't need me to help their numbers anymore...

There are still many 4 yr scholarships left.

The HPSP requires that you have an acceptance to dental school in hand. If the 2+3 program gives you that acceptance letter, then it is worth looking into. You can PM me with more info and we can get you an answer.

Thanks.

Typically both the 1 and 2 yr programs are M-Th in the clinic and lectures on friday. There are no tests like in school.

In the 2 yr program they will do a written/oral diagnostic test at the 1 yr point to help prepare you for the board certification tests you take when you graduate. Don't know if they do something similar in the 1 yr, but if they do it is not a regular occurance like dental school.

In both the 1 and 2 yr programs you will have to do a lecture and/or table clinic as well.

So I would say it bears a slight resemblence to dental school - but not enough to make you not want to do it.

However, all post-graduate training programs are like that. It is one of the requirements to be accredited by the ADA. So if you were to do these programs anywhere, you would find similarities.

If you're in the 2+3 UOP program, by the time you graduate, you'll be 3 years ahead of others doing 4+4. That's one thing to consider.

I'm not sure why you're asking fora 2 year scholarship when it looks like you need a 3 year.

While krmower is probably the ultimate authority in this, my gut instinct is to say that no, the army won't give you the two year scholarship without any history (grades or DAT) at all.

I think you misunderstand me. I do need a 3 year scholarship. I was just hoping i could get it now, 2 years in advance, so that i know i wont be stuck with 350+k in loans. Sorry for any misunderstandings.

I think you misunderstand me. I do need a 3 year scholarship. I was just hoping i could get it now, 2 years in advance, so that i know i wont be stuck with 350+k in loans. Sorry for any misunderstandings.

I checked today, and they will not give the scholarship out 2 yrs in advance. You could get it awarded to you during the 2nd year of the 2 yr program you will be in.

That being said, since you want to go to UOP - getting the scholarship will be dependent on the number of 3 yr scholarships. Each year their are programmed to be more 4 yr scholarships than 3 yr scholarships.

With the popularity of the HPSP scholarship, those who are alternates from the 4 yr scholarship have been offered the 3 yr scholarship the next year -so they are getting very competative.

Oh, thats a bummer. Thank for your help though. I sent you a PM before i realize you posted this.

Air Force: Deployments are limited to 4 months maximum and bases are not in combat areas. Most are 6 months. We are in the fight, not just in supporting areas.

Honestly, most of the issues out there is misinformation. It even comes from within. The military is a great gig, no matter which service you decide on. We need dentists across the board. I think the most important thing someone considering joining can do, is make a pros and cons list of what they want to get out of their experience and talk directly to some people on active duty. Also, remember, what you will get will mostly be subjective. What one person doesn't like about the Army, Navy, or Air Force, another person will love. Only the individual can decide if something is positive or negative.

Oh, thats a bummer. Thank for your help though. I sent you a PM before i realize you posted this.

Hey man, why don't you apply for the 4 year scholarship next year and if you get it take it..then in the end of your 3rd year at UoP (when you're about to graduate) ask to be advanced and stop the stipend payment..that would make you owe at least 4 years back to the ARMY for only 3 years of dental school...but you wouldn't have any dental school debt hanging over your head.

How long does it usually take to hear back (acceptance or rejection) on the HPSP application once it goes to the board? My wife and I are thinking about buying a house, but we have to wait for the HPSP acceptance to provide proof of future income to the bank...

Hey man, why don't you apply for the 4 year scholarship next year and if you get it take it..then in the end of your 3rd year at UoP (when you're about to graduate) ask to be advanced and stop the stipend payment..that would make you owe at least 4 years back to the ARMY for only 3 years of dental school...but you wouldn't have any dental school debt hanging over your head.

I'm not sure i follow. The 2+3 program is 2 years undergrad and 3 years dental school. Why would i want to take 4 the 4 year scholarship? It's the dental school debt im worried about, not so much the undergrad.

I'm not sure i follow. The 2+3 program is 2 years undergrad and 3 years dental school. Why would i want to take 4 the 4 year scholarship? It's the dental school debt im worried about, not so much the undergrad.

Yeah...UoP is a 3 year dental school...so apply for the 4 year (because it's not as competitive as the 3 year)...you'll owe 4 years for a 3 year school...but at least you won't have the debt.......

Once you are at the end of your third year, submit the paperwork to get your HPSP benefits to terminate and advance into active duty and start paying back your 4 years...at least you wouldn't have any debt..and who knows, you might really enjoy the military life (I know I do) and you might want to stay in anyway.

Last edited:
How long does it usually take to hear back (acceptance or rejection) on the HPSP application once it goes to the board? My wife and I are thinking about buying a house, but we have to wait for the HPSP acceptance to provide proof of future income to the bank...

The board will meet and select individuals. You will then find out 2-3 weeks after that.

Yeah...UoP is a 3 year dental school...so apply for the 4 year (because it's not as competitive as the 3 year)...you'll owe 4 years for a 3 year school...but at least you won't have the debt.......

Once you are at the end of your third year, submit the paperwork to get your HPSP benefits to terminate and advance into active duty and start paying back your 4 years...at least you wouldn't have any debt..and who knows, you might really enjoy the military life (I know I do) and you might want to stay in anyway.

That is not entirely correct. There is no need to apply for nor will you be offered a four year scholarship. The scholarship length is based on the class start date and the graduation date. The Army will pay for the 3 years of Dental School at UoP, and at the end the payback oblitgation is 3 years.

Gotcha now. You are a strong enough student to get into the highly coveted 2+3 program...I don't think you should have a problem getting an HPSP scholarship. You may want to consider the reserves/guard loan repayment after active duty (if you get out) to pay down the UOP undergrad debt.

Gotcha now. You are a strong enough student to get into the highly coveted 2+3 program...I don't think you should have a problem getting an HPSP scholarship. You may want to consider the reserves/guard loan repayment after active duty (if you get out) to pay down the UOP undergrad debt.

Thanks for the encouraging words. My parents agreed to cover the undergrad cost though so I anticipate the HPSP being enough. :D

My recruiter said that the board met today to decide on HPSP slots... can anyone confirm that? When should I call my recruiter to get an update on my status?

Thank you, by the way, everyone for this forum...it's a pretty good source for reliable info

Last edited:
My recruiter said that the board met today to decide on HPSP slots... can anyone confirm that? When should I call me recruiter to get an update on my status?

Thank you, by the way, everyone for this forum...it's a pretty good source for reliable info
Your recruiter should be able to find out if your packet made it to the board with a phone call. You won't find out whether you got it for up to 3 weeks from now.

My recruiter said that the board met today to decide on HPSP slots... can anyone confirm that? When should I call my recruiter to get an update on my status?

I am on a same boat as you.
I hope we both will get it. :xf:
My recuiter told me that I will be notified by next week..