Ask an Army Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
3yr hpsp gets sold out pretty quickly for some reason, so you should consider carefully. 3yrs for this year ran out pretty quickly last semester (D1).

I think the application is all the same, so you should contact the local recruiter as soon as possible and start compiling your packet. it doesn't hurt to do it while you have time. be sure to look into all 3 branches. the process can be very long, and it can get overwhelming to do on top of your deadly 1st year.

so i guess if you apply in your 1st semester D1, you have no grades yet, so they'd just look at your DAT, GPA, etc.

hope that helps.

You could apply now for a 4yr, and if you don't get it you will be among the first ones considered for the 3 year HPSP next year.

Members don't see this ad.

thinking is good, but i think you really should think about specializing in ortho perhaps after your first year in dental school. you prolly know that ortho is by far one of the most competitive residency programs in US. only the top 1 or 2 people in your graduating class (no matter how big) would get a spot at best in private sector, because each dental school has only about 3 spots (including army), where 1 or 2 of them would be filled by some experienced dentists. plus, the military would like to select someone who is committed w/ some experience b/f you dive in.

as to timing, the active duty obligation from HPSP would run concurrently w/ any obligation from residency, so i'd be: dental school --> residency (2 or 3 years) --> payback (4 years) = so 7 years in the military. you'd get paid for your specialty only if you decide to stay after all your active duty obligation. ortho is level II, so if you sign up for 4 more years, you'd get $38,000 more per year (before tax). you can also google to find out more.

pay difference btw captain and major... please google for officer's pay. i think the difference is somewhere around 10,000.

1 correction, all specialties get the 50k bonus (after your obligation is paid back) in the Army (believe the other services also). In the Army 35k is given to people who graduate the 12 month AEGD AND COMPLETE ADDITIONAL requirements.

1 correction, all specialties get the 50k bonus (after your obligation is paid back) in the Army (believe the other services also). In the Army 35k is given to people who graduate the 12 month AEGD AND COMPLETE ADDITIONAL requirements.

i thought only level 1 specialties get 50K for 4 yr multi yr contract? here, ortho is level 2, and would receive 40K/year for 4 yr contract.

http://comptroller.defense.gov/FMR/07a/07a_06.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
Each service establishes the category/level of each specialty. In the Army all specialties are level 1 and eligible for 50k/yr AFTER obligation is complete.

The levels are set by all three services in conjunction with the HPIWG (Health Professions Incentive Working Group). The HPIWG is a working group from the OSD for HA usually chaired by an O6 physician. Special pays are also reviewed/approved by the Dep SG from each service. I used to attend this meeting for the AF.

The way the law is written it requires all the services to offer the same amount for each specialty. The levels and amounts are voted on by the three services and must have a 2/3 vote to pass. They are usually coordinated very closely because of the stipulation to pay the same amount. If one service cannot pay the set amount, it cannot, by law, pay any new contracts. None of the services want this, so they work very closely together.

Currently all specialties are tier 1. They are reviewed annually.

Are there any 3 year scholarships left for graduating class of 2013. Some of my classmates are interested and wondering if it's still possible or are they s-out of luck?

Are there any 3 year scholarships left for graduating class of 2013. Some of my classmates are interested and wondering if it's still possible or are they s-out of luck?

It's really late in the game for the 3-yrs. They can speak with the recruiters, they get regular reports of what is available. To bad your classmates didn't realize they wanted these at the start of the year.

I have always been curious about this.

Is it possible to do a active duty of 2-3 years as a dentist in the Medical Corp and then do 17-18 years of reserve and qualify for retirement benefits?

From what I read, while as a reserve, you must complete a number of points every year? And what are all the possible ways to gain points? Could someone clarify or let me know where I can find this info? Thanks!

I have always been curious about this.

Is it possible to do a active duty of 2-3 years as a dentist in the Medical Corp and then do 17-18 years of reserve and qualify for retirement benefits?

From what I read, while as a reserve, you must complete a number of points every year? And what are all the possible ways to gain points? Could someone clarify or let me know where I can find this info? Thanks!

Yes you can, but you will not get the reserve retirement until you turn 62.

It's really late in the game for the 3-yrs. They can speak with the recruiters, they get regular reports of what is available. To bad your classmates didn't realize they wanted these at the start of the year.

Hey krmower, I meant applying for the 3 year and beginning the scholarship this fall 2010-2013. I think that's what you meant. Are the boards for the 4 year scholarship and 3 year meet together or separate?

Hey krmower, I meant applying for the 3 year and beginning the scholarship this fall 2010-2013. I think that's what you meant. Are the boards for the 4 year scholarship and 3 year meet together or separate?

The boards are done together. They may want to apply for the 4 year this year - that way they will be on the list for the 3yr HPSP if they don't get it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How much are typical bonuses if you stay in after your commitment is up? Does it vary if you've done a specialty? do you get these bonuses every time you re sign up?

How much are typical bonuses if you stay in after your commitment is up? Does it vary if you've done a specialty? do you get these bonuses every time you re sign up?

There will be a bonus for general dentists that stay on past their initial obligation. This amount has not been published, but is expected to kick in sometime after Oct. 2010.

If you have done a 1 yr AEGD in the Army, and completed additional requirements, the bonus is $35k/yr for another 4 yr commitment.

If you have specialized and you decide to stay past your commitment you get an additional $50k/yr for a 4 yr commitment.

If you are an Oral Surgeon you get an additional $30k/yr on top of the other bonuses (this amount is going up significantly also).

Last edited:
There will be a bonus for general dentists that stay on past their initial obligation. This amount has not been published, but is expected to kick in sometime after Oct. 2010.

If you have done a 1 yr AEGD in the Army, and completed additional requirements, the bonus is $35k/yr for another 4 yr commitment.

If you have specialized and you decide to stay past your commitment you get an additional $50k/yr for a 4 yr commitment.

If you are an Oral Surgeon you get an additional $30k/yr on top of the other bonuses (this amount is going up significantly also).

What's the bonus for a general dentist 63A for an additional 1 or 2 year sign up?

What's the bonus for a general dentist 63A for an additional 1 or 2 year sign up?

It has not been announced yet. It will be less than the $35k that the 12 mont AEGD guys can get (with their additional requirements). Also if it is set up similar to other bonuses the highest bonus will be paid for 4 year increments - less than that (1-2 yrs) will receive a lesser amount. See the pay tables at www.dod.mil/dfas for an idea of what I am referring to on the sliding scale for bonuses.

What if u didn't get the scholarship should I try another branch or reapply with an different recuiter. bc I really want to do the army but I don't know what happen. Also could the board change their mind at the last min

krmower,

I currently work as contractor for federal govt.
Can a student receiving hpsp work as contractor (part time) for fed govt and earn income?

Someone in this forum has mentioned that the army contract stipulates that a student cannot have any income providing services to any other government organization.

Thank you very much for your help!

krmower,

I currently work as contractor for federal govt.
Can a student receiving hpsp work as contractor (part time) for fed govt and earn income?

Someone in this forum has mentioned that the army contract stipulates that a student cannot have any income providing services to any other government organization.

Thank you very much for your help!

I am going to refer you to your HPSP contract and handbook. You can also ask USArmyHPSP - he is ver knowledgeable.
My unofficial interpretation is that it would be OK since a contractor is no a govt employee. Check the other sources though.

I commissioned yesterday :)
Thank you krmower for your help, answering my questions.

Is OBC still 6 weeks? Why do I keep hearing 12?
Anyone going this summer that knows for sure? Thanks!

I'm finishing my 3rd year right now and will have to do OBC after graduation in 2011. I know I can't begin a 2 yr AEGD program until summer of 2012 does anyone know my odds of getting into HI's AEGD if I'm right in the middle of my class standings?

Also, when during your 4th year do you apply for AEGD and when do you find out if you're in... assuming they will let you know a year ahead of time that you're in.

If I don't get in can I get on a base for a couple of years and reapply every year until I eventually get accepted to Hawaii's program?

Thanks.

Is OBC still 6 weeks? Why do I keep hearing 12?
Anyone going this summer that knows for sure? Thanks!

it is 6. 12 is for direct accessions, for now. this whole thing may change, however, b/c i hear the navy changed their program so that students could only be commissioned after the classes started, and they could attend their officer's training only after they finished school, in which case they could lengthen the program since they are not bound by the summer break. army may do the same in the future.

I commissioned yesterday :)
Thank you krmower for your help, answering my questions.

Congratulations!!!

What was the time frame from being notified that you got the HPSP to being able to commission?

Good luck with school!

it is 6. 12 is for direct accessions, for now. this whole thing may change, however, b/c i hear the navy changed their program so that students could only be commissioned after the classes started, and they could attend their officer's training only after they finished school, in which case they could lengthen the program since they are not bound by the summer break. army may do the same in the future.

The Dental Corps is making an effort to get everyone who graduates on time into the 6 week course (HPSP). If you don't graduate on time or are direct accession you will do the longer one.

I'm finishing my 3rd year right now and will have to do OBC after graduation in 2011. I know I can't begin a 2 yr AEGD program until summer of 2012 does anyone know my odds of getting into HI's AEGD if I'm right in the middle of my class standings?

Also, when during your 4th year do you apply for AEGD and when do you find out if you're in... assuming they will let you know a year ahead of time that you're in.

If I don't get in can I get on a base for a couple of years and reapply every year until I eventually get accepted to Hawaii's program?

Thanks.

All post-graduate programs are applied for in November of your senior year. Selection board meets in December. In January the directors get together and decide where everyone goes (if more than one location like endo, OMFS, and AEGD).

Your chance of Hawaii is based upon the number of slots available. 20 slots. 8 Bragg, 8 Hood, 4 Hawaii. Typically the directors try to get a cross-section of selectees in the programs. They do take into account where your first choice is, but if everyone selects Hawaii...

Yes, you can continue to apply to programs each year.

Congratulations!!!

What was the time frame from being notified that you got the HPSP to being able to commission?

Good luck with school!

I got selected in end of March and the scroll from congress came back about two weeks after then. And recruiter called me when I could commission which I did it on last Friday. :)
Did you get yours yet? are you still waiting for the board?

I got selected in end of March and the scroll from congress came back about two weeks after then. And recruiter called me when I could commission which I did it on last Friday. :)
Did you get yours yet? are you still waiting for the board?

I'm waiting on the board results...they met today.

Does anyone know how long we're going to have to wait to find out the results from the board?

Does anyone know how long we're going to have to wait to find out the results from the board?

Well when I Did it you should know at least on Sunday night or Monday Morning. But on board dates I hear they look at appeals and something else but I will call my recuiter in TX and ask him. But ur recuiter will know something Monday

A week from today, you will know your results.
FOr me, it took 1week and 1 day. I was worried that recruiter didn't call me a week after but he called me the next day (afternoonish) saying I got selected.
If you got into dental school and have the acceptance letter, the chance of getting in is very high. Good luck to you!!

I am a newly commissioned officer and have heard a little about forgiveness loans, USAA, and a few other things... I would love to get some more information about the forgiveness loans and finaid.gov does a pretty cruddy job of explaining it.

I am a newly commissioned officer and have heard a little about forgiveness loans, USAA, and a few other things... I would love to get some more information about the forgiveness loans and finaid.gov does a pretty cruddy job of explaining it.

One of the other threads went into in in quite a bit of detail. You can't consolidate and begin the program until you graduate dental school.

This whole waitlist thing is for the birds man. I mean, I just got called by my recruiter who tells me that I was put on the OML. Does anyone know if there are people who actually get the scholarship from the OML? Why would one be put on the OML instead of actually getting the scholarship?

This whole waitlist thing is for the birds man. I mean, I just got called by my recruiter who tells me that I was put on the OML. Does anyone know if there are people who actually get the scholarship from the OML? Why would one be put on the OML instead of actually getting the scholarship?

what is an oml?

Originally Posted by Tiankum

Don't sweat it. I got a 2 year HPSP after not making the 3. No idea why, and didn't bother to ask.

There could be a lot of factors...the timing of your application, other candidates who look better on paper. Something may have come up in a background check. You'll probably never know. Just hope that people decline or you get a shorter scholarship.

Don't sweat it. I got a 2 year HPSP after not making the 3. No idea why, and didn't bother to ask.

There could be a lot of factors...the timing of your application, other candidates who look better on paper. Something may have come up in a background check. You'll probably never know. Just hope that people decline or you get a shorter scholarship.

Is it pretty much impossible to get a 4 year HPSP now that there aren't any left for this fiscal year? Could they offer someone the 4 year HPSP on next years fiscal budget once that fiscal year starts?

Is it pretty much impossible to get a 4 year HPSP now that there aren't any left for this fiscal year? Could they offer someone the 4 year HPSP on next years fiscal budget once that fiscal year starts?

How do you know that there aren't any scholarships left?

For graduating class of 2013, there are no more scholarships left period. Simple assumption is that there is not enough money left to fund more scholarships and/or the dentist quota has been reached and they have enough dentists that will remain until 2015-2016 year.

For class of 2014, I'm surprised they ran out of 4 years so quickly!!! If there are no more 4 years left, that would probably mean there are no more 3 years left as well. Anyone confirm>?

For graduating class of 2013, there are no more scholarships left period. Simple assumption is that there is not enough money left to fund more scholarships and/or the dentist quota has been reached and they have enough dentists that will remain until 2015-2016 year.

For class of 2014, I'm surprised they ran out of 4 years so quickly!!! If there are no more 4 years left, that would probably mean there are no more 3 years left as well. Anyone confirm>?

My recruiter told me that the 3-year scholarships ran out earlier this year. I guess the 3-years are in higher demand.

You are correct - the programmed scholarships have been given out. There will still be fluxuations that occur allowing them to offer the next person on the list the scholarship. Those wait listed for the 4 year will be offered the 3 year scholarship next fall, so it is not such a bad thing to be on the list.

Even if they were gone (which they are no where near) - it would still be worth it because they will create alternate lists that can get you in - or the surplass people may be offerred the 3yr scholarships automatically the next year.

So I've read on the thread that if you're on the wait-list, you might get the 4-year HPSP as soon as the next fiscal year starts...and you would only miss out on the stipend payments because they don't backpay those...is there any truth to that?

So I've read on the thread that if you're on the wait-list, you might get the 4-year HPSP as soon as the next fiscal year starts...and you would only miss out on the stipend payments because they don't backpay those...is there any truth to that?

Not neccessarily. They will not take money from future years to offer for past years. Sometimes they have been able to scrape together additional funds that were not used to give people a 3.5 or 4 yr scholarship. However that had happened in previous years when not all the scholarships were filled. Last year and this year all scholarships will be awarded. There is no guarantee that the same thing will happen this year - I would not count on it.

Everything is based upon year of graduation. The class of 2014 is allotted a certain number of scholarships based upon what the Army forcasts their need will be. 4 yr HPSP represent about 2/3 of that - the 3 yr HPSP offerred beginning next fall will represent the remainder of those. Those wait listed for the 4 yr will have first dibs on the 3 yr HPSP.

Not neccessarily. They will not take money from future years to offer for past years. Sometimes they have been able to scrape together additional funds that were not used to give people a 3.5 or 4 yr scholarship. However that had happened in previous years when not all the scholarships were filled. Last year and this year all scholarships will be awarded. There is no guarantee that the same thing will happen this year - I would not count on it.

Everything is based upon year of graduation. The class of 2014 is allotted a certain number of scholarships based upon what the Army forcasts their need will be. 4 yr HPSP represent about 2/3 of that - the 3 yr HPSP offerred beginning next fall will represent the remainder of those. Those wait listed for the 4 yr will have first dibs on the 3 yr HPSP.

Does having a high graduate GPA (3.9) have no bearing on the acceptance process for the HPSP? I'm just trying to understand why I wasn't as competitive as kids out there coming out of undergrad and only having 19 DAT scores...what the heck?

Does having a high graduate GPA (3.9) have no bearing on the acceptance process for the HPSP? I'm just trying to understand why I wasn't as competitive as kids out there coming out of undergrad and only having 19 DAT scores...what the heck?

At certain times of the year, timing can play a bigger role then anything else.

Don't give up - not all the scholarships have been claimed that have been offered.

How long do people have to claim the scholarship if they are selected? Then do they just give it to the next person on the OML if they don't accept the scholarship?