Ask an M1 anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got done with my first semester at an allopath program, and now I'm bored not doing anything over break. I may or may not got to MSUCHM. Ask me anything.

Members don't see this ad.

What's the toughest class you have taken in medical school so far?

None of them were all that tough. Med school isn't as hard as sdn makes it out to be. Probably anatomy because of the volume and I didn't like being in that cold, smelly anatomy lab.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1) What is one piece of advice you wish you could give yourself the first day of M1
2) How did you chose your school/what did you look for in a school?

Congrats on completing the joy that is anatomy lab!

1) Probably how to best approach learning the material. Everybody adjusts their study habit one way or the other. For me, I've found that I can learn 98% of the material just as well by studying the course pack, without having to sink hours of my time into listening to the lecture (even if I do set it to 1.6x or 2x speed).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
1) What is one piece of advice you wish you could give yourself the first day of M1
2) How did you chose your school/what did you look for in a school?

Congrats on completing the joy that is anatomy lab!

1) Probably how to best approach learning the material. Everybody adjusts their study habit one way or the other. For me, I've found that I can learn 98% of the material just as well by studying the course pack, without having to sink hours of my time into listening to the lecture (even if I do set it to 1.6x or 2x speed).

2) I only applied to schools in Michigan. Only accepted at CMU and MSU, and MSU beat out CMU because it is established. I like it at MSU. They are big on teamwork and we don't have class rankings, so the competitiveness isn't really here. That's probably the best part.

1) What's the one thing you did as a premed that you think helped you the most to get accepted?
2) What's the one thing you wish you would have done as a premed to have gotten into more schools that you applied to?

Just got done with my first semester at an allopath program, and now I'm bored not doing anything over break. I may or may not got to MSUCHM. Ask me anything.

Are you jealous of the msucom students?

What do you think of the football and basketball teams this year?

How many hours per day do you study?

What do you like best about medical school?

How much free time do you have in med school?

1) What's the one thing you did as a premed that you think helped you the most to get accepted?
2) What's the one thing you wish you would have done as a premed to have gotten into more schools that you applied to?

1)

Last edited:
Are you jealous of the msucom students?

What do you think of the football and basketball teams this year?

1) The MSUCOM students never really cross my mind. Great school, though.

2) I am pumped. #1 sports college in the nation!

Last edited:
How many hours per day do you study?

What do you like best about medical school?

1) probably average between 60-70 hours doing med school things.

2) There are perks to med school, believe it or not. I like the sense of progress, that I am largely in control of my schedule (at least during M1 and M2), that I can work from home in my pjs, that it's easier to pull chicks, that you are learning to be a doctor, the sense of camaraderie, the sense of achievement, the post-exam parties.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How much free time do you have in med school?

It varies by week. I average 60-70 hours/week doing med school things. It sometimes sucks. Other times it's alright.

1) probably average between 60-70 hours doing med school things.

2) There are perks to med school, believe it or not. I like the sense of progress, that I am largely in control of my schedule (at least during M1 and M2), that I can work from home in my pjs, that it's easier to pull chicks, that you are learning to be a doctor, the sense of camaraderie, the sense of achievement, the post-exam parties.

Now when you say it's easier to pull chicks. You mean into study groups, right? ;) :highfive:

Reactions: 2 users
1) The MSUCOM students never really cross my mind. Great school, though.

2) I am pumped. #1 sports college in the nation!

Out of curiosity are the do and MD schools 100% separate? Is it weird you have two medical schools?

What is your prediction for the MSU-Bama game and why will Bama destroy them?

Reactions: 3 users
are you and your classmates pretty close there?

Are you able to balance school and personal life well? I.e: working out, going out once in a while.

Out of curiosity are the do and MD schools 100% separate? Is it weird you have two medical schools?

Essentially. We have no real contact with them. I don't think it's weird. One is allopathic and the other is osteopathic, that's all.

What is your prediction for the MSU-Bama game and why will Bama destroy them?

Well everybody was saying Bama was going to roll over OSU last year, but Bama got picked apart. MSU 27-24 with a game-winning field goal.

are you and your classmates pretty close there?

Yeah for the most part. People will cliche off and have their own social groups, but overall there is definitely a sense of camaraderie.

Are you able to balance school and personal life well? I.e: working out, going out once in a while.

I've found that I've had a pretty good balance. I can go out most weekends, play video games, and balance a relationship. For most people, it will take up 60-80 hours of your week. You will have free time, but less of it.

Any difference in attractiveness between the M.D. and D.O. students?

Reactions: 4 users
What was your GPA and science GPA and MCAT? How did you study for MCAT? Prep books used? How difficult is the mcat and to get a high score?

OP took the old MCAT so half of his answers will be irrelevant.

What surprised you about medical school?

What is one thing you wish you would have known?

Did you go to a big undergraduate school (the way MSU is, as a big 10 school), and how does it compare to medical school?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Have you heard much about the new curriculum for incoming CHM students next year? What do you think about it?

Do you love this ****? Are you high right now? Do you ever get nervous? Are you single? I heard you ****ed your girl is it true? You getting money? You think them ****** you with is with you?

Reactions: 7 users
Do you love this ****? Are you high right now? Do you ever get nervous? Are you single? I heard you ****ed your girl is it true? You getting money? You think them ****** you with is with you?

This post illustrates the reason why these AMA threads aren't usually productive. If the OP isn't willing to identify what school he/she goes to, then the questions asked will be super generic and most everyone will already know the answers to them.

I thank OP for not doing the above though.

This post illustrates the reason why these AMA threads aren't usually productive. If the OP isn't willing to identify what school he/she goes to, then the questions asked will be super generic and most everyone will already know the answers to them.

I thank OP for not doing the above though.

It needed to be done. I'm the hero SDN deserves, not the one it needs.

Considering applying to both MSU programs next year. Can you elaborate on the differences between the DO and MD programs? In terms of curriculum, access to resources, professors, etc? I really don't know too much about MSU's allopathic program tbh.

Do you feel any intellectual growth after having done all that memorization? I'm partial to math, CS, etc as an undergrad out of fear I will never have the chance to feel such intellectual growth as a med student.

What is your preferred/most productive study method?

I'm going to wager that neuroscience/neuroanatomy is going to be the toughest course at most places. It's entirely all new material that you've likely never heard of, and it's a **** ton of it.

I'm going to wager that neuroscience/neuroanatomy is going to be the toughest course at most places. It's entirely all new material that you've likely never heard of, and it's a **** ton of it.

Good to have majored in it :D