Ask any questions to a Navy Dentist!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think that is a bad reason to join at all. It is why I joined and it is what has kept me in for the past 10 years. I've lived all over the country and all over over the globe. There have been some major frustrations and some amazing experiences and I wouldn't trade any of it. That being said once you sign that contract you sign over your autonomy and freedom. The sort of life experience you get is going to depend on where they send you and they can send you where ever they need you: Iraq, Afghanistan, a ship etc... If you are not prepared for that possibilty it might not be the gig for you. What you see as the positives and negative of practicing dentistry in the Navy is also going to depend in large part on your attitude.</p>

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Could you describe what deployments for the Navy are like? Such as, location, environment, and a typical day? Also, when do they determine slots for the 3 year HPSP?

It depends on whether you are speaking of a deployment (cruise) on a ship, with the Marines, or in an Individual Augmentee (IA) or Global War on Terrorism Support Assignment (GSA). I can speak to the IA/GSA deployment other members and past posts can proabably speak more intelligently to the other two. An IA/GSA deployment is typically from 6-12 months in the Navy and would involve going to somewhere in the Middle East, Africa or Cuba unaccompanied (without your family) to work on a fixed base, with an expeditionary unit or perhaps a combination of the two. Your duties and living environment will depend upon where you are stationed. In Africa we lived in small shipping container-like boxes fitted out like apartments called (CLUs: containerized living unit). I was the dentist for about 3000 people and worked in a one-man fixed facility dental clinic 6 days a week. We had off-base liberty most days and those whose orders were 9 months were given the chance to leave the country for a 2 week R&R and a 96h liberty. Life was pretty simple: work, exercise, eat, sleep, repeat. The hardest part was boredom and seperation from family. Ours was a much different experience than my friends who were in Iraq and Afghanistan. Their work schedule was about the same but their living conditions varied from CLUs to tents and no off-base liberty. There was also active combat going on in the country around them. Hopefully others can provide some insight on other deployments.

Last edited:
overseas billets with families are 36 month billets. its costs the Navy a pretty penny to move you, your dependents, and all your stuff across the Pacific (or the Atlantic). if all you want is a credentialing tour, you could probably get that in Japan. AEGDs & GPRs are all stateside now, as several have been put to sleep due to lack of interest. (since it doesnt count as a payback year anymore...)

ANy rumblings about re-opening overseas GPR/AEGD programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
When you are offered an HSCP position, is it either a 4 year or 3 year depending on what you initially applied for? Or if you are accepted into the program, do you have a choice between 3 and 4 year?

I have a couple of HPSP questions...

1. From the time you receive your HPSP Final Selection letter, how much time elapses until you take you Oath of Office and all of that good stuff?

2. Also, is it preferred to attend ODS before the first year of dental school, or after the 4th year? I'm thinking I'd like to attend before school starts in August.

3. How much of a time lapse is typical between Taking the Oath and attending ODS?

4. Regarding the 20k bonus, I know it's paid over a 2-week period of time, as in $9k, $9k, and $2k payments, but when do you get the bonus? (eg after oath, after ODS, once school/stipend begins...)

Thanks in Advance!

2 questions that may have already been answered somewhere in these 10 pages.

1.) Where exactly are possible locations for carrying out your commission? Any US Naval Base anywhere in the world?

I know there are locations in San Diego, Bethesda, Norfolk, other various US locations, then Japan, Italy, and Germany outside the US. Which ones are "dental bases?"

2.) When on the ship for 2 years at a time, does the ship ever make port? If so, how often?

ANy rumblings about re-opening overseas GPR/AEGD programs?

I would not be the one to ask about such things, but CAPT George, the current junior detailer, or CAPT Rinaudo, the Corps career planner, might be able to help you. I know that Rinaudo's email is somewhere on one of these threads... do a search and he can probably point you in the right direction to get the answer, if you really want to know.

The ships do hit ports during deployment. My first deployment we stopped several times: Japan, Guam, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Dubai and Hawaii. Each port visit is usually 3-4 day visit and it was about 2-3 weeks between port visits. My last trip to sea we only visited 3 ports, and it was 5-6 weeks between visits. All of this depends on the schedule for your ship. Some ships are in the yards for maintenance so you work out of shore clinics and don't deploy. Other ships can be very active - by the end of my 24 months I will have spent about 15 months at sea. While this sounds like a long time to be gone, the experience is what you make of it. I have 2 kids and missed them dearly, but my time at sea is an experience I enjoyed and will never forget!!

When you are offered an HSCP position, is it either a 4 year or 3 year depending on what you initially applied for? Or if you are accepted into the program, do you have a choice between 3 and 4 year?

It usually has to do with when you apply. If you are applying before you start dental school and you want the HSCP to cover all 4 years then you'd apply for the a 4 year HSCP. If you are applying in your 1st or 2nd year of dental school....you get the picture....

2 questions that may have already been answered somewhere in these 10 pages.

1.) Where exactly are possible locations for carrying out your commission? Any US Naval Base anywhere in the world?

I know there are locations in San Diego, Bethesda, Norfolk, other various US locations, then Japan, Italy, and Germany outside the US. Which ones are "dental bases?"

2.) When on the ship for 2 years at a time, does the ship ever make port? If so, how often?

The Army and Airforce have clinics in Germany not the Navy, other than that you are right on about the overseas locations plus many more: Spain Guam, Hawaii, Diego Garcia, Djibouti....I'm not sure I can or should post all of the locations of Navy dental clinics on this blog. The dental clinics are usually on the larger Navy bases but like I said the list is long. Needless to say there are many in the states mostly on the coasts (as you would imagine) but not exclusively. In the end the only thing that matters is what clinics are available when it is time for you to take orders.

It usually has to do with when you apply. If you are applying before you start dental school and you want the HSCP to cover all 4 years then you'd apply for the a 4 year HSCP. If you are applying in your 1st or 2nd year of dental school....you get the picture....

Thank you! Unfortunately, I got held up several months waiting for a medical waiver that finally got approved in Novemeber. My application was submitted in December and I just heard back from my recruiter that all positions for graduating class 2013 have been taken (I am in first year). So, I am now looking at different options with the Army and National Guard; although I want to stay away from the HPSP since I have a family and really need the health benefits for them. Also my school is relatively inexpensive, so HPSP doesn't benefit me as much.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I had a question that I just cannot get anyone to answer: when you get out of dental school under the Navy scholarship. What are the chances of you getting deployed (whereas you cannot take your family with you)? I have heard from a recruitment officer that he said about 25% of dentists get deployed, and most of it is voluntary. But I have a hard time believing that. So if you get called to be deployed, you can deny it? How does that work?

You probably will delpoy. You are taking a military scholarship. I for one would rather you not join and give the scholarship to someone who actually wants to payback their country than take the scholarship and then try and weasel out of going on deployment.
During my residency we had 11 AEGDers and 3 credentialing LTs: Of those 14 12 have deployed, and 2 have not(although one was on a carrier for 2 years it just never got underway and the other is in line for a potential IA)

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question: When you commission into the NAVY HPSP, do you wear Dental Corps insignia or Medical Service Corps insignia while in dental school? I know that in the Army, dental and medical students wear Medical Service Corps insignia until they graduate.

I had a question that I just cannot get anyone to answer: when you get out of dental school under the Navy scholarship. What are the chances of you getting deployed (whereas you cannot take your family with you)? I have heard from a recruitment officer that he said about 25% of dentists get deployed, and most of it is voluntary. But I have a hard time believing that. So if you get called to be deployed, you can deny it? How does that work?

Your first year out of school will be a credentialing tour or an AEGD if you opted for one. So in that sense you should be "safe" your first year. After that, its really hard to say where you will be stationed, but these days you can usually count on some sort of an operational tour that second year (ship, or assigned to a Marine unit). With either of those options you will be able to live with your family but will be seperated from them if/when you deploy. Most deployments to the Mideast occur when you are assigned to a stateside clinic and depoly as an IA (individual augmentee) for 6-9 months. These may be the voluntary deployments he's talking about. It is true that a command may call for volunteers to go on a deployment when the requirement comes up but if no one volunteers someone will be voluntold that they are going. If you are told you have to deploy you can't say "no thanks, I'd rather not" so that part is b.s. . The only way out is if the requirement gets cancelled (happens sometimes) or if you have some health issue that makes you unqualified.

Last edited:
I know that you will get BAH and BAS during your annual training, but how much would an officer with dependents receive in regards to their BAS? I can't find that anywhere on the pay charts.

Quick question: When you commission into the NAVY HPSP, do you wear Dental Corps insignia or Medical Service Corps insignia while in dental school? I know that in the Army, dental and medical students wear Medical Service Corps insignia until they graduate.

At no time have I ever, nor would I ever put on the MSC leaf. You are commisioned as a Naval Dental Corps officer and wear the proper oak leaf with two acorns on the left collar. What in the world are the AF and Army thinking!?

okay so I want to apply for the HPSP scholarship...but have few questions...where are my chances to stay for my 4 years of active duty? Do I stay there parmenately? Can I get an apartment nearby if I go to specific place? How many places are there for people for HPSP? After I fulfill my four years as active duty...can I open my own practice? Also...Is it better for me to finish my ortho cert and then go and serve (by going to private college) or go to place that is provided from the military? What would be my years schedule be like? Thanks!

okay so I want to apply for the HPSP scholarship...but have few questions...where are my chances to stay for my 4 years of active duty? Do I stay there parmenately? Can I get an apartment nearby if I go to specific place? How many places are there for people for HPSP? After I fulfill my four years as active duty...can I open my own practice? Also...Is it better for me to finish my ortho cert and then go and serve (by going to private college) or go to place that is provided from the military? What would be my years schedule be like? Thanks!

Have you gotten accepted into Dental school already?

So I just learned this morning that anyone who is accepted into the Naval HPSP can not commission until after July. Which means that we won't be able to go to ODS this summer...and it screws everything up...is there anyway around that? Does anyone know why it was decided to put that policy into effect?

Thanks

So I just learned this morning that anyone who is accepted into the Naval HPSP can not commission until after July. Which means that we won't be able to go to ODS this summer...and it screws everything up...is there anyway around that? Does anyone know why it was decided to put that policy into effect?

Thanks

I was told yesterday that a policy just came down saying that no one will commission before 1 September. Supposedly the scholarships are almost filled, but those who are not selected for this fiscal year can still get a slot for next fiscal year, commissioning no earlier than 1 October. It sucks because I would have liked to go to ODS before school starts, but my recruiter said the Navy won't let dental students go until the summer between freshman and sophomore year anyway.

I was told yesterday that a policy just came down saying that no one will commission before 1 September. Supposedly the scholarships are almost filled, but those who are not selected for this fiscal year can still get a slot for next fiscal year, commissioning no earlier than 1 October. It sucks because I would have liked to go to ODS before school starts, but my recruiter said the Navy won't let dental students go until the summer between freshman and sophomore year anyway.

That is unfortunate! Hopefully I'll hear some different news from my recruiter. I was Final Selected and am scheduled to commission September 1 right now. I just contacted them today to see if I could get ODS in between now and August since my school goes year-round right from the beginning, so I won't have any chance to attend ODS until after graduating dental school. I'd like to not wait until then, but it sounds like I may have to. I'll let you know if I hear anything differently!

That is unfortunate! Hopefully I'll hear some different news from my recruiter. I was Final Selected and am scheduled to commission September 1 right now. I just contacted them today to see if I could get ODS in between now and August since my school goes year-round right from the beginning, so I won't have any chance to attend ODS until after graduating dental school. I'd like to not wait until then, but it sounds like I may have to. I'll let you know if I hear anything differently!

Yeah, let me know, because I am in the exact same boat as you. Since my school is also year round from the start, I am expecting that I won't go to ODS until shortly after graduation.

Yeah, so I found out that there were only 39 4-year scholarships to give away this year. And it sounds like they're all gone. What time did everyone start getting their stuff together for the application? I heard about it and got on it Jan 18th...my app was FINALLY sent off today. I had my MEPS, security questionnaire, fingerprints..all supporting documents in to my recruiter by the 24th of Jan...I have no clue why it took them this long to get my application up to DC. (frustrated). Anyway, yeah, so there were 39...now there are 0 left.. at least that's what I'm being told. I'm going to call the ARMY tomorrow and see if it's not too late to apply for them. Does anyone know if the Navy creates an alternate list?

Thanks.

Yeah, so I found out that there were only 39 4-year scholarships to give away this year. And it sounds like they're all gone. What time did everyone start getting their stuff together for the application? I heard about it and got on it Jan 18th...my app was FINALLY sent off today. I had my MEPS, security questionnaire, fingerprints..all supporting documents in to my recruiter by the 24th of Jan...I have no clue why it took them this long to get my application up to DC. (frustrated). Anyway, yeah, so there were 39...now there are 0 left.. at least that's what I'm being told. I'm going to call the ARMY tomorrow and see if it's not too late to apply for them. Does anyone know if the Navy creates an alternate list?

Thanks.

There is still hope, Tiankum. I am in the same boat as you. I started my application on 1 Dec, and it was submitted 16 Feb. We may have missed all of the scholarships for this fiscal year, but we can still be selected for the scholarships for the following fiscal year beginning 1 Oct. As long as you commission before the last day of your freshman year of dental school, it is still considered a 4 year scholarship and you will receive retroactive back pay all the way back to when you started school. The earliest you can possibly be able to commission is 1 Oct 2010. Don't give up, man. Stick with the Navy.

There is still hope, Tiankum. I am in the same boat as you. I started my application on 1 Dec, and it was submitted 16 Feb. We may have missed all of the scholarships for this fiscal year, but we can still be selected for the scholarships for the following fiscal year beginning 1 Oct. As long as you commission before the last day of your freshman year of dental school, it is still considered a 4 year scholarship and you will receive retroactive back pay all the way back to when you started school. The earliest you can possibly be able to commission is 1 Oct 2010. Don't give up, man. Stick with the Navy.

Holy Cow I wish my recruiter would have included that info. That makes me feel a lot better man. Thanks. The Navy is definitely the way to go for the HPSP.

I got a question.. .. so when you come out as a dental officer... do you get pay on O-1 scale to start out with?.............. that seems kind of weak according to this website, i would avg 2800 a month .. with sums up to be around 33600 per year..

http://www.navy.com/benefits/financial/#officer-chart

I am certain this is where i want to go.... money really wouldnt matter b/c of the oppounitry that the navy provides.. I just wanted to know where would my ranking be once out of d-school.

I got a question.. .. so when you come out as a dental officer... do you get pay on O-1 scale to start out with?.............. that seems kind of weak according to this website, i would avg 2800 a month .. with sums up to be around 33600 per year..

http://www.navy.com/benefits/financial/#officer-chart

I am certain this is where i want to go.... money really wouldnt matter b/c of the oppounitry that the navy provides.. I just wanted to know where would my ranking be once out of d-school.

if you go to navy.com and look up the dental corps it will provide all of that info. upon graduation and receiving your orders, you get the O-3 pay scale..plus BAH and BAS and Specialty pay.

Anyone on here know if by applying to another branch for HPSP you reduce your chances for the Navy HPSP?

Anyone on here know if by applying to another branch for HPSP you reduce your chances for the Navy HPSP?

I asked my recruiter this when I was applying and was told it has no effect. Everything is independent. I think it's pretty common for people to apply to at least 2 branches anyway-just in case they need a back-up.

I dont think so man.. b/c I applied for the AF and wasnt' accepted and then I applied for the Navy

Ok so I have a quick question for anybody who actually knows the answer. Is the Professional Board still meeting and giving out 4 year HPSPs for the graduating class of 2014? I heard they weren't, so I went ahead and started my application for the Army HPSP...then the Army recruiter calls me today on speaker phone with her commanding officer in the room and asks me where my commitment lies...I explained that I would have rather gone Navy but that they didn't have anymore scholarships left...then she says that they had just got off the phone with the UMed Navy office and they had said that there were still scholarships to be had. I was then asked again where my commitments lie. When I said I applied for Navy first and if I got into the Navy I would go with Navy, they seemed a bit taken back and said that they would put a hold on my application until further notice. So my question is, is there really more Navy HPSP 4-year scholarships for the dental class of 2014 left to be given out?

Thanks

Navy DDS 2010,

I read in earlier threads and understand that the minimum commitment to the Navy is 8 years. Also, according to the earlier threads, to obtain these 8 yrs total, after your Active Duty years, you are placed on Individual Ready Reserve Status. So, in my case on the HPSP, my yrs would look something like this...

Yrs 1-4: Dental School
Yr 5: 1 yr AEGD with Navy (neutral for payback, but counts towards yrs of service)
Yrs 6-9: 4 yrs Active Duty payback for Scholarship
Yrs 10-12: 3 yrs Inactive Ready reserve (IRR)

Total of 8 yrs service

I was reading in the Navy Med Handbook and found this statement on pg 16 of the Handbook, Section 2-4, Number 7 (click for handbook)

"Students in the HPSP are in Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) status."

Everything else in that section refers to the time the HPSP student is attending dental school, so I am led to believe that I will be putting in 4 yrs of IRR while I'm in dental school, which differs from previous posts, making my future look like...

Yrs 1-4: 4 yrs Dental School & IRR concurrently
Yr 5: 1 yr AEGD (neutral for payback, but counts toward total yrs of service)
Yrs 6-9: 4 yrs Active Duty payback

Total of 9 yrs military service.

Has there been a change to this policy? What is the correct path?

Thanks in advance!

according to my recruiter the 1 year AEGD doesn't count toward any payback..including your IRR status. So after your 4 years of active duty.. you still owe 4 years of IRR.

How that helps

Ok so I have a quick question for anybody who actually knows the answer. Is the Professional Board still meeting and giving out 4 year HPSPs for the graduating class of 2014? I heard they weren't, so I went ahead and started my application for the Army HPSP...then the Army recruiter calls me today on speaker phone with her commanding officer in the room and asks me where my commitment lies...I explained that I would have rather gone Navy but that they didn't have anymore scholarships left...then she says that they had just got off the phone with the UMed Navy office and they had said that there were still scholarships to be had. I was then asked again where my commitments lie. When I said I applied for Navy first and if I got into the Navy I would go with Navy, they seemed a bit taken back and said that they would put a hold on my application until further notice. So my question is, is there really more Navy HPSP 4-year scholarships for the dental class of 2014 left to be given out?

Thanks

I 'll ask my recruiter when I sign my contract... the last i heard.. they were still meeting..

btw.. I was also applying for the Army.. and I had to call them today to withdraw my application since i have already been accepted to the Navy.. the Army recruiter was kinda upset at me for choosing the Navy over them......

Navy DDS 2010,

I read in earlier threads and understand that the minimum commitment to the Navy is 8 years. Also, according to the earlier threads, to obtain these 8 yrs total, after your Active Duty years, you are placed on Individual Ready Reserve Status. So, in my case on the HPSP, my yrs would look something like this...

Yr 5: 1 yr AEGD with Navy (neutral for payback, but counts towards yrs of service)

Total of 8 yrs service

I was reading in the Navy Med Handbook and found this statement on pg 16 of the Handbook, Section 2-4, Number 7 (click for handbook)

Everything else in that section refers to the time the HPSP student is attending dental school, so I am led to believe that I will be putting in 4 yrs of IRR while I'm in dental school, which differs from previous posts, making my future look like...

Thanks in advance!

I would also like to know the answer to this

I 'll ask my recruiter when I sign my contract... the last i heard.. they were still meeting..

Dentalmon,

First of all, congratulations man!!! That rocks that you got into the Navy HPSP!!! Hopefully I will too! If you don't mind me asking, what was your GPA and DAT scores?

Secondly, thanks for looking into that man. It was a very awkward conversation today with that whole conference call with the Army. I really was caught off guard when they asked me about my loyalties. When did you hear about getting into the Navy?

When did the letter say you can commission?

When did the letter say you can commission?

not sure b/c i have not recieve any paperwork.. I was just notified i was accepted through a phone call by my recruiter.. so hope i will get some paperwork in front of me soon

got a question ..

When we are HPSP student.. do we have to do any training with the Navy while in d-schooL?.. I 've read something about a 45 day AT every year?. is that true?

Herme,

Your first set of numbers is the correct answer. You are correct when you state that you are in the IRR when you are on the HPSP during dental school, but your payback time does not begin until after you have graduated from dental school. So, yes, you have 4 years of IRR in dental school, but realistically you don't do anything.

Correct option:

Navy DDS 2010,

Total of 8 yrs service

Thanks in advance!

according to my recruiter the 1 year AEGD doesn't count toward any payback..including your IRR status. So after your 4 years of active duty.. you still owe 4 years of IRR.

How that helps

The AEGD does not count towards your active duty payback, but it does count toward your 8 year overall payback.

got a question ..

When we are HPSP student.. do we have to do any training with the Navy while in d-schooL?.. I 've read something about a 45 day AT every year?. is that true?

Most dental school programs do not have a 45 day period during the summer where you can do the 45 day active duty training, but if your school does then you are expected to do training of some type to include going to ODS. I am not sure if they still offer it, but if they do going to ODS before dental school is a good option if you are selected before you start d-school. It gets ODS out of the way so you don't have to rush to ODS between graduating d-school and starting a residency if you coose to do one.

Otherwise, in most people's cases, you do nothing for the 45 days per year because your schools don't have a period of time that allows for you to serve the 45 days. So, the Navy just waives the time and pays you anyways.

After going through dental school with the HPSP... upon entrance into the 4 year pay back time are we eligible for the HPLRP?

thanks for the info Navy DDS!

After going through dental school with the HPSP... upon entrance into the 4 year pay back time are we eligible for the HPLRP?

You are ineligible for HPLRP if you take the 4 year HPSP scholarship. HPLRP cannot be used for undergraduate loans, so what loans would you have anyway? I believe that if you take the 3 year HPSP and then serve the required pay back time, you could take the HPLRP to pay off any remaining dental school loans in exchange for more time commitment.