Ask any questions to a Navy Dentist!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I spoke with my recruiter about the HPLRP today. He said that if you do the HPSP for the 4 years, you can still do the HPLRP when you are in your payback time, you will just incur more time you have to pay back. i have a good bit of Graduate loans so this is a pretty good option for me. I'm thinking about going in for the whole 20 years anyway so why not right?

Members don't see this ad.

I spoke with my recruiter about the HPLRP today. He said that if you do the HPSP for the 4 years, you can still do the HPLRP when you are in your payback time, you will just incur more time you have to pay back. i have a good bit of Graduate loans so this is a pretty good option for me. I'm thinking about going in for the whole 20 years anyway so why not right?

I am positive that a 4 year HPSP scholarship will make you ineligible for HPLRP because I wondered the exact same thing and looked up the regulation. It said that HPSP and USUHS students were ineligible. Your recruiter is either misinformed or is possibly telling you what you want to hear. Like I said, a 3 year scholarship might work, but I wouldn't bet on it until I double checked the regulation. What was the course of study in your graduate loans? HPLRP can only be used for MD, DO, DDS, and certain other health field degrees anyway.

Yeah see I had those same questions. Apparently...per my recruiter, you can't be a "current" HPSP student (meaning you can't be in the scholarship at the time of the HPLRP). But as soon as you get out of school and are assigned your station, you are then eligible because you are no longer an HPSP participant, instead you are a commissioned active duty officer. As far as the graduate program. He said he had to call some general to find out but all the other navy personnel in the room at the time of me asking seemed to think that an MPH is qualified since it is a "health field" in the navy. So as far as I'm understanding from what the navy is telling me, I would qualify for the HPLRP after I get out of dental school...it would just tack on more years of service. I've e-mailed a couple of people in the Navy that I can trust for accurate answers...I'll let you know what they tell me. I'm not sure about the recruiters man...they really do try to tell you only what you want to hear...it's always better to ask around.

Members don't see this ad :)
At the very least, you are ineligible for the HPLRP while you are in payback for HPSP. I checked into it once for myself.

From the NAV MED MPT&E website (http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/accessions/Pages/LoanRepayment.aspx):
Who is HPLRP Eligible?

1. Must be qualified for, or hold an appointment as a commissioned officer in one of the health professions and sign a written agreement to serve on active duty for a prescribed time period.
2. Be fully qualified in a health profession that the Secretary of the Navy has determined to be necessary to meet identified skill shortages.
3. Must not be a current HPSP or FAP participant.(This includes payback.)
4. Be enrolled as a full-time student in the final year of a course of study at an accredited educational institution leading to a degree in a health profession other than medicine, dentistry, or osteopathic medicine.
5. Be enrolled in the final year of an approved residency program leading to specialty qualification in medicine, dentistry, or osteopathic medicine.

Last edited:
Yeah see I had those same questions. Apparently...per my recruiter, you can't be a "current" HPSP student (meaning you can't be in the scholarship at the time of the HPLRP). But as soon as you get out of school and are assigned your station, you are then eligible because you are no longer an HPSP participant, instead you are a commissioned active duty officer. As far as the graduate program. He said he had to call some general to find out but all the other navy personnel in the room at the time of me asking seemed to think that an MPH is qualified since it is a "health field" in the navy. So as far as I'm understanding from what the navy is telling me, I would qualify for the HPLRP after I get out of dental school...it would just tack on more years of service. I've e-mailed a couple of people in the Navy that I can trust for accurate answers...I'll let you know what they tell me. I'm not sure about the recruiters man...they really do try to tell you only what you want to hear...it's always better to ask around.

This is from the HPLRP Service Agreement:

"In accordance with my application to participate in Armed Forces Active Duty Health Professions Loan Repayment Program under Title 10, United States Code (10 U.S.C.), section 2173...

...I am not currently and have never been a participant, as a student or graduate, of the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, or a previous participant of the Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship Program (AFHPSP) having received maximum sponsorship for the degree being obtained while incurring the loans to be repaid under this agreement."

can someone tell me if i take a three year scholarship, is it a 3 year commitment?

Also how many 3 year scholarship were there this year and how many do you guys predict there will be for next year?

can someone tell me if i take a three year scholarship, is it a 3 year commitment?

A three year scholarship will get you a three year active duty commitment followed by a 5 year inactive duty commitment as long as you don't take any additional incentives that could extend your obligation. These incentives would include receiving loan repayment, using tuition assistance, transferring post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to a dependent, and taking certain special pays such as the multi-year retention bonus. Also, your active duty time will be longer if you decide to do an AEGD or residency program, since that time will not count toward your obligation, and could actually tack on additional years if you choose a program that is longer than your remaining active duty service commitment.

so when does the fiscal year start over for the Navy?

so when does the fiscal year start over for the Navy?

I believe the fiscal years run from Oct 1 to Sept 30 each year. So the next fiscal year begins Oct 1, 2010.

can you explain what does that meaN?.. thank you very much

When dealing with finances in the Government, they do not follow the standard calendar year. They follow the fiscal year. This runs from OCT 1st until the following SEPT 30th. This means that the new years money becomes available on OCT 1st. That is why there are new scholarships available in OCT every year. This is when the Navy, AF and Army get new allotments for the scholarships.

When dealing with finances in the Government, they do not follow the standard calendar year. They follow the fiscal year. This runs from OCT 1st until the following SEPT 30th. This means that the new years money becomes available on OCT 1st. That is why there are new scholarships available in OCT every year. This is when the Navy, AF and Army get new allotments for the scholarships.

Is it possible for them to hand out those scholarships before that fiscal year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think so, but you definitely cannot be commissioned until at least 1 Oct.

thanks navy dds for explaining.. also what does tht mean?......

1. is signing your contract same thing as being commissioned?

I was accepted to Hpsp couple weeks back and my recruiter told me that I would expect to sign a contract this month....... but I 'm reading from here that you wont get commissioned until oct. 1. what does that mean?.

2. if my dental school starts in Sept.. would this be a probleM as far as getting all my tution covered for school?.. I'm asking b/c I have still have not started my FASFA application for my loans. . i figured I wouldnt need to do that if I take the HpSP...

3. would you guys suggest me filling the fasfa anyway?.

again. thanks for clarifying

thanks navy dds for explaining.. also what does tht mean?......

1. is signing your contract same thing as being commissioned?

I was accepted to Hpsp couple weeks back and my recruiter told me that I would expect to sign a contract this month....... but I 'm reading from here that you wont get commissioned until oct. 1. what does that mean?.

2. if my dental school starts in Sept.. would this be a probleM as far as getting all my tution covered for school?.. I'm asking b/c I have still have not started my FASFA application for my loans. . i figured I wouldnt need to do that if I take the HpSP...

3. would you guys suggest me filling the fasfa anyway?.

again. thanks for clarifying

Always do your FAFSA just in case. It takes no time at all, and if something happens, you've got it covered. You may find you need to take out a small loan, and in that case, the subsidized stafford is helpful. GL.

PS= you sign your contract when you commission.

Don't worry. The 1 October commissioning date does not apply to you, since you have already been selected for a scholarship. When all the scholarships for this fiscal year run out (which may have already happened), people who were not selected are hoping to get a scholarship for the next fiscal year. Those people will not be allowed to commission any earlier than 1 Oct 2010, which is the start of the new fiscal year.

PS= you sign your contract when you commission.

thanks alot!. i will do that then..

in that case?. is that mean I wont sign my contract (commission) until Oct. 1st.. but school starts in Sept?.. I will have to pay for school and get refunded?.... thats kinda inconvenience isnt it?.. But my recruiter told me I was to sign in march though...... maybe I needa call her to be sure again.......

thank you very much!

thanks alot!. i will do that then..

in that case?. is that mean I wont sign my contract (commission) until Oct. 1st.. but school starts in Sept?.. I will have to pay for school and get refunded?.... thats kinda inconvenience isnt it?.. But my recruiter told me I was to sign in march though...... maybe I needa call her to be sure again.......

thank you very much!

In the post right above yours I explained that you should not have to wait until 1 Oct to commission since you have already been selected. If you did happen to commission after school already started, they will back pay the tuition to your school. You will not be paid the stipend for those missed months, however.

In the post right above yours I explained that you should not have to wait until 1 Oct to commission since you have already been selected. If you did happen to commission after school already started, they will back pay the tuition to your school. You will not be paid the stipend for those missed months, however.

How can I get my commission date moved up? Right now, they have me scheduled to commission Sept 1, which leads me to believe I got a 4 yr HPSP for this fiscal year, so I don't see what would prevent me from commissioning now, other than the need to finish paperwork and all.

Any tips? I'd like to take my oath and commission asap and even try to complete ODS before August if possible.

So how long does it typically take from the point that your app is in the Professional Review Board until you are notified one way or the other?

How can I get my commission date moved up? Right now, they have me scheduled to commission Sept 1, which leads me to believe I got a 4 yr HPSP for this fiscal year, so I don't see what would prevent me from commissioning now, other than the need to finish paperwork and all.

Any tips? I'd like to take my oath and commission asap and even try to complete ODS before August if possible.

I asked these same questions to my recruiter and she told me that those who were selected for this fiscal year may have to wait until 1 Sep to commission, so you may not be able to move it up. She also told me that the Navy is not allowing any dental students to go to ODS before school starts. Apparently, it has to be done in the summer between academic years or as soon as you graduate.

Last edited:

Other than getting ODS done before school starts, what's the rush? You don't get the stipend until school starts. Is it the bonus that you want now?

I can't figure out why you can't get ODS done before school starts - unless it is a financially driven decision. If you are at ODS, they have to pay you as an O-1 while you are there - that would make it so that you get 5 periods of active pay while you are in school. Perhaps it's not in the budget.

There is a FB group (US Navy Healthcare - I think). There is an "Ask a Navy Dentist" thread on the discussion board there. You could ask CAPT Rinaudo about getting ODS done before school. It's a pretty good reference: http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?u...art=120&hash=bef82478c7cbac883643c76f014a45dd

Thanks goosestuff.

The main reason I was wanting to move up the commission date was 1) I was hoping to get ODS in before school starts this year. My job situation will be a little weird with all the relocating for school, and it would have been nice to do ODS during the summer instead of trying to find a job for a few months, also, I will be attending MN and there will be no breaks long enough to complete ODS until after I graduate-as far as I know, and 2) by commissioning Sept 1, my Benefit Start Date will be Sept 1, so I will miss out on a stipend payment.

But neither one of those reasons is really that big of a deal. I did find out yesterday from my recruiter that my Commission Date cannot be moved up because even though I did receive a 4yr HPSP from this fiscal year, the money available is being "phased in" as he put it and "they will not have any money available to commission anyone else until Sept 1. So that is why noone is able to commission before Sept 1, and thus why noone can complete ODS before school starts.

I am just thankful to be fortunate enough to commission as early as Sept 1! From the way my recruiter was talking, many people are having to wait until spring to commission!

everyone here are awesome.. just wanted to say thank you for taking your time for helping others..

I think I got the 4 year HPSP....Capt R. told me today that the board was forwarding a recommendation on my application to Navy
Recruiting Command. Except he didn't say whether or not it was a positive recommendation....Still very hopeful though!:xf:

I think I got the 4 year HPSP....Capt R. told me today that the board was forwarding a recommendation on my application to Navy
Recruiting Command. Except he didn't say whether or not it was a positive recommendation....Still very hopeful though!:xf:

I'm holding my breath as well! I hope my recruiter calls me. :luck:

congrats man!

So my recruiter called me and told me that I was selected for the scholarship on the 24th...but that I won't receive the letter or certificate until June or July because of funding.

Does anyone know of a way to get some kind of letter or verification of future income from the Navy? I'm trying to get pre-approved for a mortgage but I was banking on the certificate to prove the income will be coming...now I'm struggling to come up with an idea to show the bank...anyone have any suggestions who to contact in the Navy?

So my recruiter called me and told me that I was selected for the scholarship on the 24th...but that I won't receive the letter or certificate until June or July because of funding.

So you're saying the selection board took place on the 24th?! Damn... That was the day my package was sent back because they misread my transcript. :boom:

Congratulations on your selection! I really hope the last of the scholarships were not given away on the 24th...

Last edited:

Does anyone know of a way to get some kind of letter or verification of future income from the Navy? I'm trying to get pre-approved for a mortgage but I was banking on the certificate to prove the income will be coming...now I'm struggling to come up with an idea to show the bank...anyone have any suggestions who to contact in the Navy?

Good Luck with the mortgage! I just went through that process thinking it would be easy and the banks would not accept the "stipend" income as income that was eligible for a mortgage. Also, since the stipend amount only adds up to like 25k/year, it is likely you won't qualify for enough to get a house. If you use a cosigner, however, then the banks can use your credit and your cosigner's income-so it could work out!

A couple posts up, I have a link for the Navy Med HPSP handbook. The stipend amount and details are in there. Note pg 14, 2-4 for stipend amount and pg 17, 2-7 for bonus info. That is what I sent over to the bank with all of the other info.

Let me know if you can't find the info!

Email [email protected] and ask for a Statement of Service. That should contain what you need.

So, how difficult is it for someone to be selected for the 2 yr Comprehensive Dentistry Residency right out of dental school? What kind of assignments will a comprehensive dentist be likely to fill? Also, Is it possible to apply to a residency program at an Army or Air Force facility?

So, how difficult is it for someone to be selected for the 2 yr Comprehensive Dentistry Residency right out of dental school? What kind of assignments will a comprehensive dentist be likely to fill? Also, Is it possible to apply to a residency program at an Army or Air Force facility?

"Not difficult" if you're in top 5 % of your class according to class standing... along with the rest of the package.

Comp dentists usually go to smaller, more remote clinics or small boys but not always the case.

It's unlikely unless all spots at Bethesda are filled and there's an opening at other services' programs (one or two).

So quick question guys I have been dealing with my recuiter since Dec 2009 about my HSPS scholarship. He has been takin his time with it.(lazy) But i was wondering if their are still scholarships left for the four yr. If so is it hard to get. He wants me to take some VIP trip but if seems like he up to somethin. I am thinkin that he has alot on his plate and is tryin to wait till the last min. Plus is the navy better than the army for dental. Please help some one

I was wondering whether its possible to get a guaranteed HPSP scholarship two years before I start dental school. I ask because I have been accepted to UOP's 2+3 accelerated dental program and am not sure whether I want to go there because its so darn expensive. However, if it were possible to have some contract that could guarantee me this scholarship, provided I get >3.5 GPA and >20 DAT for example, I would attend UOP in a heartbeat. Without some certainty that I will be able to get this scholarship, I will have serious reservations attending UOP because of the enormous debt burden (350k+). Any and all help is welcome and greatly appreciated.

Why would the military lock up the funds for an HPSP scholarship for someone that doesn't even have an acceptance letter...two years down the road. I would think before you ask a question like that man.

On the other hand, you can always contact a recruiter and talk to them about your options...that's the best place to start.

Well i dont think its that unreasonable... I mean, this way they'll have a guaranteed spot filled. Besides, I am pretty much assured acceptance to UOP dental, so there's that. But obviously i am trying to contact a recruiter, i was just hoping someone could give me a heads up on what to expect.

hey everyone, so i just joined up the SDN today, and I was wondering about timeline selection. I just got all my stuff in today, but it looks like there is really no more spots available...am i right in assuming that. thanks already everyone has been so helpful!

hey everyone, so i just joined up the SDN today, and I was wondering about timeline selection. I just got all my stuff in today, but it looks like there is really no more spots available...am i right in assuming that. thanks already everyone has been so helpful!

I can confirm that one...they've already started making an alternate list...kind of sucks.

hey another question...how does the navy feel about past DUI, drug/alcohol use. not that i've had a problem with that or anything, but I would like to know how much something like that could affect your chances of getting in?

Kind of bummed now... found out that I was put on the alternate list because I was so late in the game for applying..and the NAVY ran out of funding for HPSP slots... I was number 8 on the list and just notified today that I've been bumped up to #7... What's the chance of getting the scholarship from the alternate list? Has that ever happened before?

Kind of bummed now... found out that I was put on the alternate list because I was so late in the game for applying..and the NAVY ran out of funding for HPSP slots... I was number 8 on the list and just notified today that I've been bumped up to #7... What's the chance of getting the scholarship from the alternate list? Has that ever happened before?

what?!.. I thought you got a scholarship!... so what else did they tell yOu?.. how come things keep changing with the Navy?

what?!.. I thought you got a scholarship!... so what else did they tell yOu?.. how come things keep changing with the Navy?

No clue man... but I was just notified today by LT Rhodes from NRC that I'm on the alternate list and I was moved up to #7 today...

No clue man... but I was just notified today by LT Rhodes from NRC that I'm on the alternate list and I was moved up to #7 today...

I'm a 2nd year dental student right now. I applied for the AF HPSP well before school started and was placed on an alternate list(I think I was #7/#8). Well once that happened, I investigated the Navy and found out about the Navy HSCP (which was a superior fit for my situation). Well a week before I was to be sworn in with the HSCP(about 2 weeks before school started), the Air Force came calling telling me that a scholarship opened up for me and asked me if I wanted it. My wife and I went back and forth on it, and the AF was my first preference at the time, but ultimately we decided the 'fit' for the HSCP was best for us going forward and I swore in a few days later.

So being #7 on the alt. list might still give you hope for it. However, I was a 'pre-financial meltdown' selection. Which has increased the # of applicants for these scholarships.

Do you have to have a B.S/B.A in order to be eligible for HPSP? I ask because it is very likely that I will be accepted to dental school without my bachelor's, considering I do the 2+3 UOP program.

Hi,

I was recently accepted to dental school and am really interested in a 3-year HPSP. I have began contacting recruiters.

I am wondering about my chances since I have a horrible GPA during undergrad in a non-science major. But since then my post-bac GPA is excellent, and I am completing a M.S. in Physiology in a few months with a high GPA also.

Do the Boards take a Post-Bac/M.S. GPA into consideration, possibly over an undergrad GPA?

Thanks.

Hi,

I was recently accepted to dental school and am really interested in a 3-year HPSP. I have began contacting recruiters.

I am wondering about my chances since I have a horrible GPA during undergrad in a non-science major. But since then my post-bac GPA is excellent, and I am completing a M.S. in Physiology in a few months with a high GPA also.

Do the Boards take a Post-Bac/M.S. GPA into consideration, possibly over an undergrad GPA?

Thanks.

From what I've been told, they look at the whole package (ie. both GPAs)