Ask any questions to a Navy Dentist!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am currently a Sergeant on my second enlistment in the Marine Corps. I have 3 more years to my contract to the Marines. During that time I am trying to complete a Bachelor's Degree. Once I have done so, I want to go into Navy Dentistry.
I have been doing some research into the field and the requirements. My basic problem is I have a Red/Green Color blindness. From the research I have done, I believe I should still be able to get into the denistry field. I would just be unable to be an Unrestricted line officer. I would fall under the Staff Corps. Please correct me if I am wrong, I need to know if this will be an issue.
Also, what can I do now to set myself up for success? I plan on completing at least 13 years with the Navy so I can get my retirement and perhaps start a personal practice after. I am currently 25 years old with 4 1/2 years active duty time, 7 1/2 years by Expiration of Current Contract.
Any advice is extremely appreciated.

I have Tourette Syndrome and the Navy gave me a waiver back in November (or so) of last year. Talk to a recruiter.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have information on the number of specialty slots that the Navy has to offer each year(approximately) for Prosthodontics, Oral Surgery and Endodontics? Also, approximately how many people apply to any of those given specialties on any given year?

Also does anyone have the information on # of HPSP/HSCP slots the Navy reserves each year vs how many of those slots get filled? Thanks in advance.

Anyone have information on the number of specialty slots that the Navy has to offer each year(approximately) for Prosthodontics, Oral Surgery and Endodontics? Also, approximately how many people apply to any of those given specialties on any given year?

Also does anyone have the information on # of HPSP/HSCP slots the Navy reserves each year vs how many of those slots get filled? Thanks in advance.

I don't know the current info for the rest of the programs but for Prostho this year there were 10 applicants, 3 residents were selected for Navy pros residency at Bethesda and 3 residents were selected for civilain pros residency.

Until the last several years HPSP students were not even looked at for most residencies except maybe OS. As far as the Navy goes new grads have been able to get spots in Comp dentistry and Pros the last several years. I don't think that they specifically reserve slots in these programs for new grads but rather it just depends on the applicant pool for that year, so basically it just depends on who you (HPSP/HSCP student) are competing against for those slots. With more mid-career officers getting out instead of pursuing residencies it opens up more spots for new grads.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Specialty

App’s
Selected
%
Comprehensive Dentistry
33%
Endodontics
31%
Fellowships
50%
Gen Den ACP
100%
NADDS/FAP eligible
60%
Maxillofacial Prosthetics
n/a
Operative Dentistry
50%
Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology
100%
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
59%
Oral Radiology
100%
Orthodontics
27%
Pediatric Dentistry
33%
Periodontics
50%
Prosthodontics
75%
Research
0%

Specialty

App’s
Selected
%
Comprehensive Dentistry
33%
Endodontics
31%
Fellowships
50%
Gen Den ACP
100%
NADDS/FAP eligible
60%
Maxillofacial Prosthetics
n/a
Operative Dentistry
50%
Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology
100%
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
59%
Oral Radiology
100%
Orthodontics
27%
Pediatric Dentistry
33%
Periodontics
50%
Prosthodontics
75%
Research
0%

Awesome that was EXACTLY what I was looking for. Do you mind me asking the source for those numbers. Thanks so much!

;)

i got 2006 stats if you want 'em as well...

I just swore into the Navy for the 4 year HSCP program today. I'm pretty excited.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys, I'm celebrating by watching my Sacramento Kings select Jerryd Bayless at #12...:thumbup:

I think you mean "Congrats Officer Candidate / Petty Officer 1st Class Smills91" (HSCP) :rolleyes:

Really? I am on the HPSP and i was sworn is as an O1

Really? I am on the HPSP and i was sworn is as an O1

On the HSCP vs the HPSP program you are sworn in as an E-6 with the ability to get promoted to an E-7. You are technically an active duty Petty Officer during you dental school and are paid as such. Upon graduation you get promoted to 0-3/LT.

On the HSCP vs the HPSP program you are sworn in as an E-6 with the ability to get promoted to an E-7. You are technically an active duty Petty Officer during you dental school and are paid as such. Upon graduation you get promoted to 0-3/LT.
Yeah right now, I'm currently E-6, I got a girl at my school who's applying so when she gets sworn in, I'll be bumped up to e-7, which will probably happen in August...WOO HOO!

Congrats Smills. welcome to the corps! jsut dont go telling anyone youre a Chief when you get the bump to E-7. that would not go over well with folks in the know...:eek:

Congrats Smills. welcome to the corps! jsut dont go telling anyone youre a Chief when you get the bump to E-7. that would not go over well with folks in the know...:eek:
but technically....lol

I know it's ultimately for pay purposes and I'll have little interaction with other serviceman while in school, so...

but technically....lol

I know it's ultimately for pay purposes and I'll have little interaction with other serviceman while in school, so...

Hate to be the guy who gets all serious but even "lol"-ing about this is pushing the limit. You know how many Chiefs out there, or guys stuck at E-5/E-6 for a decade for that matter, don't know about the HSCP but would fall over dead if they found out E-6/E-7 pay is given out just to go to school. Cherish it for what it is and for god sakes NEVER go out bragging about how you were an E-7 while in school (unless, of course, your Chief/LPO bring it up). I know, I know, its E-7 pay with 0-4 years time so it's not that much but realize the paygrade (and especially the rank) means ALOT to those who've spent a career earning it. You will be an OFFICER CANDIDATE and nothing more while in school.

(After re-reading my post I realize this is coming off as an attack on you but I'm too lazy to redo it...in general I just want to assure all those HSCP students out there that you are an E-6/E-7 simply to put you in the system to 1) count your time in school as active duty and 2) to give a comparable amount of money to those in the HPSP. You will never wear those chevrons or anchors with USN on them because you will never earn them...unless you fail out of school and the Navy wants to get their money out of you by sending you to boot camp as an E-3! Then, of course, you will earn your chevrons and possibly an anchor and know what it means to be a Chief.)

AGAIN, AFTER READING THIS POST IT SEEMS LIKE I'M ATTACKING YOU...I just want every future dentist/doctor on these forums to know that you will be working on people who worked their whole career to earn the rank you will have while in school. Just do me a favor when you're wearing your silver bars proudly, respect the rank of the paygrade you once had while in school. Your men and women will appreciate it greatly and you'll be a better leader for it. Good luck Smills91!

Last edited:
I heard a lot of grousing from colleagues about ADM Carol Turner allowing the dissolution of the Dental Corps command structure. My understanding is that Dental Officers are now answering to MDs and Medical Service Corps Commanding Officers. How is that impacting career paths for Regular Navy dentists?

Hate to be the guy who gets all serious but even "lol"-ing about this is pushing the limit. You know how many Chiefs out there, or guys stuck at E-5/E-6 for a decade for that matter, don't know about the HSCP but would fall over dead if they found out E-6/E-7 pay is given out just to go to school. Cherish it for what it is and for god sakes NEVER go out bragging about how you were an E-7 while in school (unless, of course, your Chief/LPO bring it up). I know, I know, its E-7 pay with 0-4 years time so it's not that much but realize the paygrade (and especially the rank) means ALOT to those who've spent a career earning it. You will be an OFFICER CANDIDATE and nothing more while in school.

(After re-reading my post I realize this is coming off as an attack on you but I'm too lazy to redo it...in general I just want to assure all those HSCP students out there that you are an E-6/E-7 simply to put you in the system to 1) count your time in school as active duty and 2) to give a comparable amount of money to those in the HPSP. You will never wear those chevrons or anchors with USN on them because you will never earn them...unless you fail out of school and the Navy wants to get their money out of you by sending you to boot camp as an E-3! Then, of course, you will earn your chevrons and possibly an anchor and know what it means to be a Chief.)

AGAIN, AFTER READING THIS POST IT SEEMS LIKE I'M ATTACKING YOU...I just want every future dentist/doctor on these forums to know that you will be working on people who worked their whole career to earn the rank you will have while in school. Just do me a favor when you're wearing your silver bars proudly, respect the rank of the paygrade you once had while in school. Your men and women will appreciate it greatly and you'll be a better leader for it. Good luck Smills91!

Thanks, I see where you're coming from, the tone of the post I was looking for was simply that I understand the e-7 is for paygrade only. I was just teasing at the beginning. I appreciate all that our servicemen/women do. This is just a program to get me through school and I'm going to be an 0-3 in the Navy as a Dentist. That's my role, and that's what I signed up for. The E-7 paygrade is just a mechanism to get me there. Thanks for all you do too. We all appreciate it.

I heard a lot of grousing from colleagues about ADM Carol Turner allowing the dissolution of the Dental Corps command structure. My understanding is that Dental Officers are now answering to MDs and Medical Service Corps Commanding Officers. How is that impacting career paths for Regular Navy dentists?

ADM Turner is now retired, as a two-star. ADM Vinci is the current Chief of the Corps. Nonetheless, the medical and dental houses have merged into one health services command structure. the problem with you posing the question in this forum is that the people who read it are either considering a military scholarship, currently in school, or are very early in the Naval careers. None of us are going to have much perspective on where the Corps has been in years past, and we are too young to have much consideration for a command position career path.

From my limited time in and in discussions with many senior CAPTs, it is apparent that Navy dental certainly is not what is once was. CO billets are virtually non-existent because we do not 'own' our clinics and dental assets as a Corps anymore. for example, you can end up as a Director, controlling the dental assets for a given command region, but you still answer to the local hospital CO or ADM. and yes, it does seem that physicians and nurses have the inside track at the moment to command positions. frankly, though, the Corps is going to have to address the extremely poor retention rate of senior LTs to LCDRs before the lack of a senior career path ever makes much of a difference...

A few of my colleagues are former Navy Dentists, and their stories have prompted me to ask these questions:

Does the Navy accept graduates of foreign dental schools?

ADM Carol Turner led the effort to abolish all Dental Commands and place all dental clinics under the medical commands (Dentists no longer run their own command structure). What has this done for morale, and has this had a negative impact on retention (Dental Corps Officers no longer having a "shot" at being a C.O.)?

since you have to be a US citizen to be an officer in the armed forces, i find it highly unlikely we have many, if any, foreign trained dentists in the various dental corps.

it seems that, while there are no true dental commands any longer, medical still doesnt really know what to do with us. therefore, locally we have a dental directorate that reports directly to the RADM of NMCP. all dental assets are under this control, so in essence, we do still have a dental command. time will tell if this arrangement will provide enough 'CO & XO' type experience to pass muster at command boards.

it is my understanding that the drive for consolidation came from above ADM Turner, from the senior line community. because they did not understand why medical and dental are so different in execution and supply, it was assumed great cost savings could be realized in streamlining all of this commands. that assumption has not yet shown dividends.

ADM Carol Turner led the effort to abolish all Dental Commands and place all dental clinics under the medical commands (Dentists no longer run their own command structure). What has this done for morale, and has this had a negative impact on retention (Dental Corps Officers no longer having a "shot" at being a C.O.)?

For someone who desires to be equal to physicians, I would think you would welcome the move. Isn't this another example of how dentistry is moving in a medical direction?

HI everyone

does anyone know if having a DUI on your record affect your chances of getting the military dental scholarship?

HI everyone

does anyone know if having a DUI on your record affect your chances of getting the military dental scholarship?

I have heard of people still getting the scholarships even tho they have had a DUI in the past

Hey, any idea what percent of dentists get clinic stations that don't involve months on ship? I'm trying to decide what branch to go with, and the wife wouldn't be too pumped about me being gone months at a time at sea.

It seems like all 3 branches are not very willing to talk numbers as far as percent of people deployed, and for how long. Any information you could give would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Deployment varies from 6-12 months, depending on the mission. My deployment was 10 months back in 2001.

I agreed 110% (former BM2(SW) U.S.N)

Hey Deep Impact and everyone else, I am currently a third year dental student at a dental school in the midwest. I am on a three year HPSP scholarship with the program. I know that I'll have plenty of questions to ask you. If anyone has questions for me (someone who is currently receiving tuition payment and a stipend from the Navy), feel free to ask. I'll start ODS in May 2010!

This may be stupid, but when you're paying back the 4 years AD, you are stationed at a Navy Base, correct (on land)? and then if you are deployed, then you are out at sea for that time? What are those options?

Last edited:
first, as far as i know, no branch of the armed forces maintains an undergradute dental school. all branches offer post-grad training, just not undergrad.

secondly, all officers have to be citizens of the US. enlisted can be permanent residents or green card holders. as a dentist, you are an officer and therefore must also be a citizen. good luck on your pursuit of citizenship!

I have Tourette Syndrome and the Navy gave me a waiver back in November (or so) of last year. Talk to a recruiter.

If you are a Navy dentist, you're a restricted staff officer, period. You'll never be an unrestricted officer (i.e. no sword on ceremonies and you'll never command a ship even if you are an "admiral." If the next high unrestricted personnel is a petty officer, s/he'll be the skipper). Funny, but that's how it works.

If you are a Navy dentist, you're a restricted staff officer, period. You'll never be an unrestricted officer (i.e. no sword on ceremonies and you'll never command a ship even if you are an "admiral." If the next high unrestricted personnel is a petty officer, s/he'll be the skipper). Funny, but that's how it works.

What does that have to do with me receiving a medical waiver for commission?

Edit: I think I understand what you are getting at now. You're saying I wouldn't be able to become a line officer with my condition. I understand that but I was answering a previous question about receiving commmission as a Navy dental officer (staff officer) even though the individual had color-blindness. Just relating my experience so those who have doubts about receiving commission can have some encouragement.

Last edited:
Hello i went to High School and college here in the states...then decided to go overseas for dental school...now that i am back i would love to join one of the branches and serve my country..how do i go about doing that??? I am a US citizen....and my whole family lives here....PLEASE ADVISE

ahmed

Hello i went to High School and college here in the states...then decided to go overseas for dental school...now that i am back i would love to join one of the branches and serve my country..how do i go about doing that??? I am a US citizen....and my whole family lives here....PLEASE ADVISE

ahmed

Do you have a valid dental license in the US? Also where did you attend d-school if you don't mind my asking?

Last edited:
the BUMED intruction for the dental corps is that you have to have graduated from and ADA-accredited dental school to be commissioned as a dental corps officer. it doesnt say anything about a wavier though, so i would imagine talking to a recruiter in the know might be worth your time.

Congrats

but technically....lol

Anybody who is on the navy hpsp or is a dentist in the navy, do you like it? If you could go back and do it again, would you? and what are your thoughts on navy hpsp vs air force hpsp? Which has better AEGD programs and training? I've applied to both, but am still weighing between them. Thanks!

there are several threads on this forum that address your questions very specifically. i suggest you review them and then feel free to pose any questions you might still have.

i will say that my Navy AEGD was second to none in terms of exposure and clinical training. most military residencies provide top notch training, because we never know when we might be called upon to function in an environment without assistance, far from the comforts of the US.

DHeav,

Where'd you do your AEGD? Just curious.

Also, where'd your next set of orders take you?

Hi...

Do all Navy GPR residents interested in pursuing OMFS eventually get accepted into an OMFS residency?

Thank you,
DMyers

for those who have applied and received the HPSP ... when was all of your information submitted, when did you get your physical, etc.? I have submitted all of my paperwork but am now being told to wait until the spring to get my physical as it must be done within 6 months of raising my hand. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

DHeav,

Where'd you do your AEGD? Just curious.

Also, where'd your next set of orders take you?

hey, sorry about the delay in response, internet connection while at sea is spotty at best. i did my AEGD in Norfolk and then picked up a carrier.

I have had extensive trouble finding a solid answer for the actual earnings of a dentist working for the navy. Granted, there is an official Navy website with a chart and all that, but according to this, O3s make about $4,000x12=$48,000 per year. At the same time, everything I read says pay is at least somewhat "competitive", but this seems like quite a bit of a stretch if those numbers are correct. Am I missing something? What do those who are in actually take home?

I know money shouldn't be the decider for military vs. non, but deep down I'm sure for all of us it kind of is.