Ask Doctor Strange anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Meh... it's nothing "exotic." It's more or less a derivative of European head cheese with, perhaps, some French influences. Also, I did not know that; thanks for the tip.:thumbup:

It's also recommended to ask for the bread untoasted, so it's freshly toasted when you make it later.

Members don't see this ad.

Xenosaga 3 eh? I liked Ep1 person battle system and Ep3 Mech combat. You need to play Xenogears though, it makes Ep3 even more awesome.

It's still early in the game. First interviews don't even start until next week. I know for a fact that there are people in my class that didn't interview until the last possible day in April. At this point, all you can really do is wait.

To be completely honest, I don't have much experience with the waiting game, as I received pretty much all my IIs by the end of August. From what I've heard, though, Dr. Callahan and Dr. Brooks are receptive to letters of interest. So if Jefferson is your top choice, definitely write a concise e-mail expressing that fact along with a quick summary of your qualifications, fit for the school, and any application updates you may have.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me with any other questions you may have.
Still early in the cycle but a few schools did start interviewing last week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some-Gifs-I-made-its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-24628850-320-240.gif

what do schools do with each year's harvest of secondary money?

Favorite Avenger? Thoughts on the movie?

Favorite Avenger from the comics: Doctor Strange
Favorite Avenger from the movie: Captain America

I liked the movie a lot. I had never been a huge fan of the comics, but I think Marvel Studios did a very nice job of pulling this off. Now that the novelty of it all has sort of worn off, though, I don't think I'll be nearly as enthused by Avengers 2, but I will definitely still see it.

what do schools do with each year's harvest of secondary money?

No clue. It probably gets put to use somewhere in the admissions department... to buy new staplers or something...

Do you ever wonder how some of these members look like? I do. Especially the ones who claim to be lifters lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you decided on getting a doctorate in science, what graduate program would you attend?

If you were a flower, why?

Flowers suck.

Do you ever wonder how some of these members look like? I do. Especially the ones who claim to be lifters lol.

Haven't noticed.

If you decided on getting a doctorate in science, what graduate program would you attend?

Probably a pharmacology and toxicology program somewhere. I really enjoyed my undergrad work and would love to continue the same line of study if I weren't going to med school.

Why are you only a average character in Marvel vs. Capcom 3?

Im wondering if that's really you in your avatar. Cuz if so, you can intimidate your interviewers into accepting you.

Im wondering if that's really you in your avatar. Cuz if so, you can intimidate your interviewers into accepting you.
Nah. That's 3x Mr. Olympia Phil Heath. But I'm a big guy, though. I wear 2XL shirts and on dress shirts I'm now a 3XL FML lol Bodybuilding it is awesome, but clothes are a big prob. :(

Why are you only a average character in Marvel vs. Capcom 3?

Not everyone can be top tier. It does seem that Justin Wong is picking up Strange along with Iron Fist on point, and it's working out pretty well for him. We'll see if any new Strange tech shows up that'll improve his game...

Liking pharmacology?

I love pharmacology. Though I haven't taken it in med school yet, pharmacology courses were my favorite classes in undergrad.

I actually do know what some regular SDNers look like in real life. The Class of 2017 thread has a Facebook group, so I obviously stalk everyone else's pictures.

What do you feel have been or will be your hardest classes?

Past: Genetics. Genetics
Present/Future: Anatomy

As far as the rest of med school, I feel like I have a very good grasp on physio, pathophys, and especially pharmacology from my undergrad education. I just want anatomy to be over.

first time applicant here. I sent in my application on July 12 to AMCAS and was verified on August 30th. I took the July 2, 2013 MCAT and the results came out in early August. My dilemma is did the school get my up last MCAT score automatically or do I have to contact them . Thanks for responding. Is it best to call or email the schools. The reason I am worried is my secondaries were completed in early September and I have not heard back from any schools.

first time applicant here. I sent in my application on July 12 to AMCAS and was verified on August 30th. I took the July 2, 2013 MCAT and the results came out in early August. My dilemma is did the school get my up last MCAT score automatically or do I have to contact them . Thanks for responding. Is it best to call or email the schools. The reason I am worried is my secondaries were completed in early September and I have not heard back from any schools.

I am semi-sure that AMCAS will submit your new MCAT score automatically to schools (https://www.aamc.org/students/apply...amcas_application_without_my_mcat_scores.html). As far as not hearing back yet, I can't really comment without knowing any of your stats or ECs. It's not uncommon to not hear anything yet at this point in the game.

I love pharmacology. Though I haven't taken it in med school yet, pharmacology courses were my favorite classes in undergrad.
:thumbdown: I really thought you were in pharmacology
Two years from now I'll be asking "Why do you contaminate so much?" :laugh:

Nah. That's 3x Mr. Olympia Phil Heath. But I'm a big guy, though. I wear 2XL shirts and on dress shirts I'm now a 3XL FML lol Bodybuilding it is awesome, but clothes are a big prob. :(

What are your lifts? Would love to have some powerlifting training partners in med school!

I'm trying to hit 600 deadlift before next fall. I'm at 505x5. Hope to continue lifting while in medical school, even though it will be hard to manage.

What has suprised you most about medical school so far? What made you decide to choose Jefferson over your other acceptances?

What are your lifts? Would love to have some powerlifting training partners in med school!

I'm trying to hit 600 deadlift before next fall. I'm at 505x5. Hope to continue lifting while in medical school, even though it will be hard to manage.
I'm a bodybuilder, brother. I don't focus on how much I can lift.So my lifting stats can be different all the time lol If that day I got enough macronutrients in I can do a whole lot, others day that I miss meals my endurance sucks I end up skipping some workouts. I know. I'm lame. :laugh: P.S. It depends if I'm bulking or cutting. In the bulking season I can curl 60lbs dumbbells and when cutting I'm at 30, 35, and if lucky 40. lol

If you got any other questions for me msg me. This is in fact Doctor Strange thread.

Last edited:
What has suprised you most about medical school so far? What made you decide to choose Jefferson over your other acceptances?

I guess what surprised me most about med school is that, for me, it's really not as much work as I expected it would be. Don't get me wrong, you have to put your work in every day, but I'm getting by pretty well despite goofing off and wasting my time so frequently. Once you get past the fact that all that matters is passing, things become far more manageable.

As far as why I chose Jefferson, it was definitely the combination of the community and the location. You'll see it at your interview and at second look: Jefferson is just generally a very pleasant place to be where the majority of the students are happy. That's really all I could ask for.

Last edited:
How many hours do you put into medical school each week? 50-60 hours? How many hours do you estimate that the average students puts into med school?

How many hours do you put into medical school each week? 50-60 hours? How many hours do you estimate that the average students puts into med school?

I'd say that's a fair estimate if you throw in lecture, lab, and studying all together. As far as just studying goes, I typically spend about an hour or two a day going over previously learned material and about two to three hours going over the material from that day. Weekends are kind of a toss-up depending on how much I think I know the material, but it's typically not more than three or four hours of review and doing practice questions.

I honestly have no idea how to answer your second question, but I suspect it might be a little higher than what I do just based on my historically being somewhat of a lazy student when it comes to sitting down and studying for an extended period of time. I am probably the kind of wasting time doing stupid **** on the internet. I mean... Look at my SDN post count.

Reactions: 1 user
in the semester right before the mcat (january 2015), would it be manageable to take molecular biochem, physics II, and immunology (11 hrs) while studying for the mcat?

What was the most difficult interview question?

Do you believe an individual can get accepted with 3.4 33?

in the semester right before the mcat (january 2015), would it be manageable to take molecular biochem, physics II, and immunology (11 hrs) while studying for the mcat?

This very much is dependent on how strong of a student you think you are and how well you can manage your time. I, for example, took the MCAT in May and studied for it throughout the spring semester. I was taking molecular biology/genetics, creative writing, the second half of physiology, a research seminar, a biomethods lab, cardiovascular pathophysiology, and a sociology course (total of 19 credits). I had, up to that point, always taken heavy course loads (18-20 credits a semester) and historically did fine, so I didn't think it would be a problem for me to manage studying for the MCAT on top of everything. I got a 32 on the MCAT, so I guess it turned out to be pretty manageable for me.

From your past experiences, how well do you manage time? What's a "heavy" course load for you? I can't really answer these questions for you, because I can only speak to my personal experiences which obviously do not apply to everyone.

tl;dr: I can't really say for sure, but I would think that eleven credit hours and studying for the MCAT concurrently would be quite manageable.

What was the most difficult interview question?

Do you believe an individual can get accepted with 3.4 33?

1. I think my most difficult interview questions were things along the line of "how would your friends describe you?" I had never really thought about the question before, and it caught me a little off-guard. In my head, all I could think about was how my friends would describe me as being sarcastic or having a dark sense of humor... Basically a lot of things you don't really want in a physician.

2. Someone can absolutely get accepted with a 3.4/33. According to this, over half of applicants with those stats get accepted somewhere.

What do you think of Obamacare?

thanks for the input...you had a crazy load! hoe many hours a week did you study for the mcat that semester?

thanks for the input...you had a crazy load! hoe many hours a week did you study for the mcat that semester?

I typically spent about one to two hours on weekdays going over content using Examkrackers books. Weekends were a little longer. I commuted about forty minutes to school that year, so I actually used the Audio Osmosis lectures and listened to those in the car while driving on top of the reading that I did. About a month and a half before the exam, my weekends were dedicated to AAMC practice exams and other sets of practice questions from various sources.

I think one of the most important things to do before you decide on a schedule is to take a diagnostic test and gauge where you are in terms of content understanding. Let that guide you and how much time you'll dedicate to MCAT review.

Next semester I will be actually starting my prerequisites and was deciding to take Bio I and Chem I. My question is I have little background in Chemistry, should I take Intro to chem or just go for it?

By the way, I took Physical Science in High School which we did learn a little bit of chemistry.

Thanks.

What do you think of Obamacare?

Tough question. I really don't like discussing politics, but the gist of my stance on Obamacare is that, yes, universal healthcare should be a thing, but, if it's a thing, then everyone should have to pay taxes to support it, not just the rich people. We also need to cut funding for a bunch of other stuff that we don't necessarily need. I don't know what these things are.

I'm not the guy to discuss politics and healthcare policy with. I know close to nothing.

Next semester I will be actually starting my prerequisites and was deciding to take Bio I and Chem I. My question is I have little background in Chemistry, should I take Intro to chem or just go for it?

By the way, I took Physical Science in High School which we did learn a little bit of chemistry.

Thanks.

My gut feeling is to say go for it, because I would think that most general chemistry courses operate on the assumption that you know nothing to start. I would consult with some upperclassmen and get their opinion since it can definitely vary from school to school.

Doctor Strange, if you could go back in time to your college freshman self, what would you warn your past self about?

Private student loans. :mad:

I posted the following in the mcat discussion forum and couldn't get any experienced advice...it relates to what I was asking you yesterday, so perhaps you can help me out :)

Well I'm facing a dilemma here on whether to take September 2014 or January 2015...both are old mcat.

By end of Spring I will have all gen chem, ochem, gen bio, micro/genetics, stats, and englishes. Only glqring pre reqs are physics...will take in summer 1 and 2.

So...should i take in september and study through may,june,july,aug while taking physics in june and july?

OR

Take in january 2015 and study some in summer and also in fall 2014 study with a schedule like: molec bio, physics 2, and immunology (11 hrs)...

which is better in terms of preparing and also in terms of pre reqs done!?

thank you!

Did you contemplate any other medical fields before deciding on medicine? Such as pharmacy, vet med, dental etc...?

Thanks for the response. How much classes would you recommend a Freshmen, going into his second semester take?

I'm tempted to taking 5 classes for many reasons, this semester I only have 1 class that is giving me a credit the other 2 are developmental classes which give me none at all. What would you recommend I should do. Also note that next semester I am able to start taking my prerequisites as posted in my previous post. :)

I posted the following in the mcat discussion forum and couldn't get any experienced advice...it relates to what I was asking you yesterday, so perhaps you can help me out :)

The first option seems like a good one from my perspective, especially if you've been exposed to physics before. Although, if you find that you have trouble with physics, I would opt for the second option to give yourself more time to review content. Obviously, it's going to require more time management on your part, but it's better to be sure that you're prepared than to jump the gun and take it too soon.

Did you contemplate any other medical fields before deciding on medicine? Such as pharmacy, vet med, dental etc...?

Not really. Although, given my major (pharmacology and toxicology), I've really come to love dealing with drugs and pharmacological management of disease, so sometimes I think that pharmacy may have been a route that I also could have pursued and been satisfied.

Thanks for the response. How much classes would you recommend a Freshmen, going into his second semester take?

I'm tempted to taking 5 classes for many reasons, this semester I only have 1 class that is giving me a credit the other 2 are developmental classes which give me none at all. What would you recommend I should do. Also note that next semester I am able to start taking my prerequisites as posted in my previous post. :)

In general, I think 15 credits should really be the max that a freshman should take. Transitioning to the lifestyle and pace of college is a whole other issue that many are blindsided by, and you do want to give yourself a little wiggle room just in case.

On the other hand, if you have found yourself to be pretty well-adjusted, I would definitely try to push your limits a little bit more. Personally, transitioning to college was a breeze for me. I got a 4.0 my first semester with 15 credits and so I bumped it up to 18 credits the next semester and still did fine. A lot of college is about learning your academic and personal limits, which will ultimately help you in the long run in medical school when you're presented with a huge volume of information and will have to triage the situation based on what you know about how you learn and how hard you can push yourself.

Thanks! I will go for Jan 2015 MCAT...i'll have more time to prepare and make Fall semester lighter to compensate..will study in summer too. Only crappy thing would be that if i don't do well, i'd retake the new test.

If you had to do it over again, what would you have done in your final semester before med school? What did you do and would you have kept it the same? What about the summer before?