Ask Doctor Strange anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is your dream car?

Members don't see this ad.

What are you anticipating to do this coming summer?

Any views on life, religion, purpose etc?
Honestly, looking forward to doing nothing and catching up on my novel and comic book reading. I'm also at clinic once a week, which will continue through the summer.

As far as my view on life? I'm not religious; I don't believe in a higher power. I just kind of live life as I see fit. Go with the flow. That sort of thing.
What is your dream car?
Tricky... Not really a big car person, but definitely something sleek and black. Possibly a BMW? Audi? I'm not really into the super flashy stuff.

So, kinda like this? haha
tumbler-batmobile-front-quarter-623x416.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your thoughts on the 2007 Dr. Strange animated movie?

What are your thoughts on the 2007 Dr. Strange animated movie?
At first I was a little cheesed that they deviated from the comic book, but then I forgot about it and just tried to enjoy the movie for what it was. In the end, I think I actually really liked it. I also really liked the costume for that movie.

Now look, I don't expect to be able to convert you through a post on SDN, but why aren't you Religious? I mean, what do you think happens when we die?

Now look, I don't expect to be able to convert you through a post on SDN, but why aren't you Religious? I mean, what do you think happens when we die?
Your heart stops, your brain stops firing, and you start to decompose. I suppose my vision of what happens "after you die" is pretty much... nothing. Everything fades to black, and it's all over.

I'm not a religious person because I don't find much sense in any religion. I'm completely okay with the entire universe, human existence, and everything up to this point being a series of accidental and random events. I don't feel the need to have an explanation for the "big" questions in life. I don't feel the need to turn to a "higher power(s)" in my times of need. I'm fortunate enough to have friends, family, and my own fortitude to get through things like that. I don't think things happen for a reason... they just happen.

My whole outlook on life is pretty simple: While you're alive, live it up. Have some fun, do some good, and enjoy it.

Your heart stops, your brain stops firing, and you start to decompose. I suppose my vision of what happens "after you die" is pretty much... nothing. Everything fades to black, and it's all over.

I'm not a religious person because I don't find much sense in any religion. I'm completely okay with the entire universe, human existence, and everything up to this point being a series of accidental and random events. I don't feel the need to have an explanation for the "big" questions in life. I don't feel the need to turn to a "higher power(s)" in my times of need. I'm fortunate enough to have friends, family, and my own fortitude to get through things like that. I don't think things happen for a reason... they just happen.

My whole outlook on life is pretty simple: While you're alive, live it up. Have some fun, do some good, and enjoy it.
Interesting response. You know, I don't think our views on life really differ that much. "While you're alive, live it up. Have some fun, do some good, and enjoy it." I totally agree with all of that, however, I do have certain moral standards that I hold myself to.

Why do I believe in God? I guess you could say it has to do with growing up going to church and having a Christian family, but apart from that, I think the universe is just so amazing that there must be an ultimate architect. It would be very hard for me to look at a sunset on a beach and just think that everything I was looking at was an accident. I guess this pretty much sums up some of my thoughts: “I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”- C.S. Lewis.

Interesting response. You know, I don't think our views on life really differ that much. "While you're alive, live it up. Have some fun, do some good, and enjoy it." I totally agree with all of that, however, I do have certain moral standards that I hold myself to.

Why do I believe in God? I guess you could say it has to do with growing up going to church and having a Christian family, but apart from that, I think the universe is just so amazing that there must be an ultimate architect. It would be very hard for me to look at a sunset on a beach and just think that everything I was looking at was an accident. I guess this pretty much sums up some of my thoughts: “I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”- C.S. Lewis.
Yeah, I definitely did not grow up in a religious household. My morals are pretty much shaped by my experiences and my personal perspective on life/science/society. I don't have any particular set of tenets that I subscribe to. I look at a sunset and take it for what it is. It's beautiful and makes me feel good inside. Beyond that, who cares?

I hope I don't come off sounding like a super aggressive atheist or something. I 'd like to think of myself as pretty tolerant of the beliefs of others. What annoys me is when others try to make you look like the bad guy for doing nothing but simply not believing what they believe. Other than that, if you're a nice person that's fun to hang out with, we can be friends.... Just don't talk to me about religion, because I couldn't care less about the subject.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I definitely did not grow up in a religious household. My morals are pretty much shaped by my experiences and my personal perspective on life/science/society. I don't have any particular set of tenets that I subscribe to. I look at a sunset and take it for what it is. It's beautiful and makes me feel good inside. Beyond that, who cares?

I hope I don't come off sounding like a super aggressive atheist or something. I 'd like to think of myself as pretty tolerant of the beliefs of others. What annoys me is when others try to make you look like the bad guy for doing nothing but simply not believing what they believe. Other than that, if you're a nice person that's fun to hang out with, we can be friends.... Just don't talk to me about religion, because I couldn't care less about the subject.
We are all humans, and therefore have the free will to believe in whatever we want. I think it is essential that we all remain respectful to each other regardless of whar our religious beliefs happen to be. These are beliefs after all; I can't prove to you that God exists, and you can't prove that he doesn't. That's just the way it is.

Taking these thoughts into consideration, I have wondered about our differing beliefs in what happens to us when we pass away. If you are right, and no God exists, then it's no big deal. Your outcome as an atheist would surely be the same as mine, a Christian. That is, nothing would happen to us; everything would just turn black. However, what if the circumstances were reversed? What if I was right and you were wrong; what if there is a God and you never believed in him? I know you don't like to talk about religion, but isn't that something that you have considered before?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
We are all humans, and therefore have the free will to believe in whatever we want. I think it is essential that we all remain respectful to each other regardless of our religious beliefs happen to be. These are beliefs after all; I can't prove to you that God exists, and you can't prove that he doesn't. That's just the way it is.

Taking these thoughts into consideration, I have wondered about our differing beliefs in what happens to us when we pass away. If you are right, and no God exists, then it's no big deal. Your outcome as an atheist would surely be the same as mine, a Christian. That is, nothing would happen to us; everything would just turn black. However, what if the circumstances were reversed? What if I was right and you were wrong; what if there is a God and you never believed in him? I know you don't like to talk about religion, but isn't that something that you have considered before?
Whoops.

I mean, I've definitely thought about it, but it doesn't justify for me changing my current views. I figure I'll cross that bridge when or if I get there. God seems like he might be a reasonable guy. We'll work it out.

We are all humans, and therefore have the free will to believe in whatever we want. I think it is essential that we all remain respectful to each other regardless of whar our religious beliefs happen to be. These are beliefs after all; I can't prove to you that God exists, and you can't prove that he doesn't. That's just the way it is.

trying to use the "Pascal's wager" argument to convert someone to religion on a medical forum?

Last edited:
Lol @ trying to use the "Pascal's wager" argument to convert someone to religion on a medical forum
For the record, I stated above that I knew I wasn't going to convert him through posts on Student Doctor. I don't know any atheists, so I wanted to take the opportunity to talk to one who was respectful, explained his philosophy on life, and contained words other than expletives in his vocabulary. Now, do you have anything to contribute to this thread, or are you just fishing for a response from me?

Now that you are on a budget, what is your "go to" cheap meal and "go to" extravagant meal? How do you celebrate when you do well on a test or something?
Hm. For a cheap meal, I would say anything from a Chinese takeout place. As for extravagant, there are some excellent restaurants around this area that are reasonably priced. If you're ever in Center City, I would highly recommend Strangelove's on 11th between Locust and Chestnut. Their Strangelove's burger is to die for.

As far as celebration, you'll find out very quickly in medical school that completion of an exam alone is the cause for celebration. We're fortunate enough here to have most of our exams on Fridays, so drinking usually starts at around noon and ends at around... Oh, let's say 2AM.

Is it really always sunny in Philly?

What kinds/genre of books do you like to read, besides comic books?

Any tips for getting off HPWL at Jefferson? I already sent a letter of interest last week and I'm wondering if sending another one next week before May 15th arrives is too soon.

What kinds/genre of books do you like to read, besides comic books?
I have a pretty diverse taste in books. Most of them are fiction. I like murder mystery-type books. I'm also into some science fiction and fantasy novels. The David Hunter series by Simon Beckett was one I enjoyed in college. I'm currently trying to work my way through the Song of Ice and Fire books, as well as American Psycho.
Have you kept the cool hair?
tumblr_m98cjgxU3l1qgjh4yo5_250.png
tumblr_mdjqarQ5Sr1qgjh4yo6_250.png
tumblr_md25q4Ym4J1qgjh4yo4_250.png

Any tips for getting off HPWL at Jefferson? I already sent a letter of interest last week and I'm wondering if sending another one next week before May 15th arrives is too soon.
All you can really do is genuinely express your interest in Jefferson. Talk about the interview day, the impression you got, and specific things about Jefferson (location, community, programs) that attract you. Sending another letter so soon probably wouldn't help that much, but, at this point, it's kind of up in the air. Acceptances from the HPWL are already being handed out, so it might benefit you to make your presence known... again.

Good to know about the hair :D

Can you PM me the links to the fireside chats if you have them handy. I've only seen one

Awesome. Thanks!

Edit:

You guys need some female rep in there... IJS :)

Hey Doctor Strange!

I'm a recent grad applying to med school this cycle. I'm super interested in Jefferson, so I had a few questions for you if that's O.K.! :)

I'm going to be spending my "gap year" working with AmeriCorps in Philadelphia, and I really look forward to starting this summer. I'm sending in my application once I receive my MCAT score in the beginning of July after taking it next week.

My questions are:

1) When would be the best time to send an "update" or a letter of interest to Jefferson that includes some of the work I've done during the gap year? I believe my experience is relevant to my interest in health/medicine, since I will be working with an anti-hunger organization.

2.) If I am very interested in fields like family medicine, public health, preventive medicine, and primary care in general, should I express this interest to Jefferson? I would definitely want to get involved with JeffHope if I am accepted. Are these the kinds of things I would save for an interview?

3.) Did you also apply to other schools in Philadelphia, or solely Jefferson? I may also apply to Drexel, Temple, and PCOM.

Any and all advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Hey Doctor Strange!

I'm a recent grad applying to med school this cycle. I'm super interested in Jefferson, so I had a few questions for you if that's O.K.! :)

I'm going to be spending my "gap year" working with AmeriCorps in Philadelphia, and I really look forward to starting this summer. I'm sending in my application once I receive my MCAT score in the beginning of July after taking it next week.

My questions are:

1) When would be the best time to send an "update" or a letter of interest to Jefferson that includes some of the work I've done during the gap year? I believe my experience is relevant to my interest in health/medicine, since I will be working with an anti-hunger organization.

2.) If I am very interested in fields like family medicine, public health, preventive medicine, and primary care in general, should I express this interest to Jefferson? I would definitely want to get involved with JeffHope if I am accepted. Are these the kinds of things I would save for an interview?

3.) Did you also apply to other schools in Philadelphia, or solely Jefferson? I may also apply to Drexel, Temple, and PCOM.

Any and all advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance!
1. There is an "optional" space on the Jefferson secondary application (and most other secondary applications) where you can indicate that you're currently actively pursuing these activities. Letters of interest should probably be saved for the event that you 1) have been placed on the high priority waitlist or 2) have not received an interview invitation by the time January rolls around.

2. Yes, these are things that you should definitely talk about. In addition to JeffHOPE, you should probably also look into other programs at Jefferson such as the Refugee Health Partners program, the College Within A College Population Health track, and the Physician Shortage Area program. Again, these are things you can address in the "optional" essay section and then expand upon during your interview.

3. I applied to all four of the allopathic schools in Philadelphia and was interviewed and accepted at three of them. I did not apply to PCOM.

I will be starting Med school this Fall, and is in the process of apartment hunting. During the next four years, which year(s) would it be the most advantageous to live closer to campus? Would it be during the second year because step 1 is the summer after, or would it be during the third year when rotations start?Housing is much more expensive near the school, but much less so a bit farther out. What is your opinion?

Did you see X-Men: Days of Future Past?

I will be starting Med school this Fall, and is in the process of apartment hunting. During the next four years, which year(s) would it be the most advantageous to live closer to campus? Would it be during the second year because step 1 is the summer after, or would it be during the third year when rotations start?Housing is much more expensive near the school, but much less so a bit farther out. What is your opinion?
It would probably be more advantageous to live closer to campus during the preclinical years, since you'll have class there. Depending on where you're rotating and what affiliate sites you may get sent to on clerkships, the advantage of distance to campus varies. At my school, it's very unlikely that you'll have all your rotations at our main hospital, so commuting or living in alternative housing for clerkships is not uncommon for part of the year.

Did you see X-Men: Days of Future Past?
Yes. In general, I enjoyed it. Hugh Jackman is the man.

Why does God hate the US Men's National Team?

¿Cuándo empezaste a soñar en español?

I will find you.

I took my (American) husband to a friendly Brasil v US game here once. We of course sat in the Brasil section :D ... It wasn't pretty haha I love torturing Americans on their lacking football skills

I took my (American) husband to a friendly Brasil v US game here once. We of course sat in the Brasil section :D ... It wasn't pretty haha I love torturing Americans on their lacking football skills

You're not doing much to lessen my suspicion of you as a Commie, flag-hating anti-American. For every new post I see you write on SDN, I will cut off one of Neymar's knees.

You're not doing much to lessen my suspicion of you as a Commie, flag-hating anti-American. For every new post I see you write on SDN, I will cut off one of Neymar's knees.

Bahahaha. Surprisingly I've heard those exact words (excluding the SDN posts bit) quite a few times. :p

<3 Neymar.. He is the future! I'll cut you.