Ask Jalby anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mr. Dong,

Can you please describe your night time skin care routine?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if I'll be superstar-enough to be able to match in dermatology. I might have to weep bitter tears and pick something else. What might that be?

I'm no Derm hater. On the other hand, I have little interest in derm.

There are plenty of specialties that have good lifestyles. I couldn't chose a specialty based primarily on $/lifestyle because there are plenty that are interesting to me, have decent lifestyle, and pretty good coin.

Do what you find interesting, then the money and details will work themselves out.

Where is ApacheIndian when you need him? That would make this thread much more epic.

I've always wanted to pick a specialty like g-surg, but now have Long Dong envy. What is the cure?

The ROAD to happiness my friend.
Mr. Dong,

Can you please describe your night time skin care routine?

Wash face with mild soap (cetaphil or dove) pat dry apply tretinoin cream pea size amount to entire face. Got carded for a rated R movie the other day.

Here are some more routines you might find helpful: http://www.pick-up-artist-forum.com/approaching-and-opening-vf51.html

I don't know if I'll be superstar-enough to be able to match in dermatology. I might have to weep bitter tears and pick something else. What might that be?

Who you know > what you know (e.g. step 1, aoa), that is the rule with most things in life. But PM&R is a good choice (plenty of money & relaxation).

Where is ApacheIndian when you need him? That would make this thread much more epic.
He's to busy banging models and reading MRIs at the beach on his Ipad. I owe him a drink to cause his advice helped me do well on step 1, when he used to go by the name Dr. Cuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Wash face with mild soap (cetaphil or dove) pat dry apply tretinoin cream pea size amount to entire face. Got carded for a rated R movie the other day.

Here are some more routines you might find helpful: http://www.pick-up-artist-forum.com/approaching-and-opening-vf51.html

Who you know > what you know (e.g. step 1, aoa), that is the rule with most things in life. But PM&R is a good choice (plenty of money & relaxation).

He's to busy banging models and reading MRIs at the beach with on his Ipad. I owe him a drink to cause his advice helped me do well on step 1, when he used to go by the name Dr. Cuts.

You crack me up.

You are a scholar and a gentleman.

btw, on that link you posted, I don't care how many girls that Gambler guy gets, he still seems like a dork.

Oh wow, dude, you follow the pickup artist community? Now I understand why you're talking about your abs and colored shirts, and banging "ballin" models.

Good luck with your pick ups. I hope you're fashioning some good openers, and negging when necessary so you can go in for the kiss close.

Oh, Jesus.

Here's some advice from a 23 year old: Treat women like human beings. They're not aliens.

I don't get all this crap about pick up lines? Walk up and say hi....

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh wow, dude, you follow the pickup artist community? Now I understand why you're talking about your abs and colored shirts, and banging "ballin" models.

Good luck with your pick ups. I hope you're fashioning some good openers, and negging when necessary so you can go in for the kiss close.

Oh, Jesus.

Here's some advice from a 23 year old: Treat women like human beings. They're not aliens.

No sense of humor. Hey I got a new name for you, you should change it to

captain-save-a-hoe.jpg

Hahaha. See, now that's funny. I'm gettin that on a t-shirt.

Alright, real question, Long. Let's talk about the ROAD to happiness? How valid is it still? Now, no one would argue that rads and derm still are great specialties to go into. But why does ophtho make the cut while ENT and urology don't? What's so special about it? And isn't gas going down the toilet quickly? Is there gonna need to be a new acronym created to reflect the changing times?

Alright, real question, Long. Let's talk about the ROAD to happiness? How valid is it still? Now, no one would argue that rads and derm still are great specialties to go into. But why does ophtho make the cut while ENT and urology don't? What's so special about it? And isn't gas going down the toilet quickly? Is there gonna need to be a new acronym created to reflect the changing times?

I think part of it is that people don't want to change what they know so the ROAD will remain.

ENT and Uro still are surgical subspecialties with longer, harder residencies and even though the lifestyle improves post-residency they are still surgical subspecialties. Obviously you can tailor your practice to have cush hours in almost any specialty but overall on average they still work longer and harder hours AFAIK.

:sleep:

It's been going down the toilet for the past 2-3 decades.... :laugh:

Definitely look elsewhere. :thumbup:

Ophtho will end up being taken over by optometrists like stomatology was taken over by the dentists in the very distant future, slowly but painfully. My advice: go Urology, dentists are expanding to ENT as they become oral and maxillofacial surgeons, unless you want to specialize in the ear but then you got audiologists up your rectum.

Last edited:
Ophtho will end up being taken over by optometrists like stomatology was taken over by the dentists in the very distant future, slowly but painfully. My advice: go Urology, dentists are expanding to ENT as they become oral and maxillofacial surgeons, unless you want to specialize in the ear but then you got audiologists up your rectum.

Wow, you make it sound like physicians will be replaced by allied health professionals in the near future.

:laugh:

Wow, you make it sound like physicians will be replaced by allied health professionals in the near future.

:laugh:

Haha! Sounds a little too ironic.

Alright, serious answers only, folks.

:sleep:

It's been going down the toilet for the past 2-3 decades.... :laugh:

Definitely look elsewhere. :thumbup:
Hmm, a gas resident who wants others to stay away from gas perhaps?

I'm just basing this on the gloom and doom easily visible in the anesthesia subforum.

I think it's still valid, just remember the ROAD ends in derm probably the most cush of them all. You can add Rad Onc to the begining of the road too and you might be missing a P for PM&R and Pysch. Those are the ones that come to mind right now.

As for Optho they do call just like rads and gas but don't get called in as much i think as ENT or uro who probably have to stay in house. I lived a with an optho resident he did home call twice a week and came in every once in a while for eye trauma and stuff like that. He still had a life and went out alot still. When he finished retina he making close to 7 figures a year (but in a crappy location).

As for gas I think it's still good recent grad friends of mine signed contracts 350-450k and the hardest part about their residency was staying awake sitting behind the curtain. You know the ABCs of anesthesia right? Airway Breathing and Chair. When I was a med student every time I looked behind the curtain the gas guy was always checking his stocks or real estate plotting ways to make more money.

Here is some more humor for you if you already haven't seen it.

12+medical+specialty+stereotypes+full.jpg

He's to busy banging models and reading MRIs at the beach on his Ipad. I owe him a drink to cause his advice helped me do well on step 1, when he used to go by the name Dr. Cuts.

What about Emergency medicine LD? 12-15 shifts a month, around 250-275K? Not that same money as ROAD, but seems like a legit field.

Hmm, a gas resident who wants others to stay away from gas perhaps?

I'm just basing this on the gloom and doom easily visible in the anesthesia subforum.

That subforum consists of a few LOUD naysayers.... but, if you follow closely, there's a LOT more of the silent ones, who are VERY HAPPY :thumbup:

I did miss how excited they got talking about their really sick patients but they wear more into my conversation of how i met this lesbian couple at a gay bar and took them home.

Wow. How am I just now learning of LD? Feel like I've been missing out.

I love that Jalby has not come back to SDN, but Long Dong has taken over.

What about Emergency medicine LD? 12-15 shifts a month, around 250-275K? Not that same money as ROAD, but seems like a legit field.

EM is cool and all if you don't mind the overnight shifts. I did a month of EM during my transitional year four 12 hour shifts a week half were overnight, threw my internal clock out of wack, interfered with my gym time and night clubbing. And I can't have anything interfering with how I look at a club. In your 30s and 40s those hours might not be to bad, but as you get older you might want something more 9-5 Mon-Fri.

Wow. How am I just now learning of LD? Feel like I've been missing out.
I've been in the Derm forums helping people match, and driving home the point who you know > what you know (step 1/aoa). So if any of you guys want the good life start making connections early, and publish, this will get you more interviews and farther then step 1/aoa, at least in derm it will.

I was actually the mod in the derm forum and got de moded for my "inappropriate posts (sense of humor)."

LD, what is your opinion on RoC skincare products?

LongDong, I'm a third year who came to Derm late. I have a Step I score between 250-260, all preclinical Honors (if that's even worth much), and all A's during third year but no "Honors", and non-AOA unfortunately. I have two non-derm pubs pending, and am hopefully starting to work with a dermatopathologist on some research, but I'm a little worried that this won't lead to anything publishable in the near future. I also did a case report write up/presentation recently in Derm.

I know you're a big proponent of "who you know." I'm definitely trying to get to know the Derm faculty at my school now, but I feel like I'm at a disadvantage compared to people who knew the wanted Derm from day 1. Additionally, my amount of research pales in comparison to a lot of successful matches, even though I'm still working on that. I know you got into Derm late in the game as well . . . what advice do you have to maximize my chances of matching into Derm in the upcoming cycle?

Thanks.

EM is cool and all if you don't mind the overnight shifts. I did a month of EM during my transitional year four 12 hour shifts a week half were overnight, threw my internal clock out of wack, interfered with my gym time and night clubbing. And I can't have anything interfering with how I look at a club. In your 30s and 40s those hours might not be to bad, but as you get older you might want something more 9-5 Mon-Fri.

I've been in the Derm forums helping people match, and driving home the point who you know > what you know (step 1/aoa). So if any of you guys want the good life start making connections early, and publish, this will get you more interviews and farther then step 1/aoa, at least in derm it will.

I was actually the mod in the derm forum and got de moded for my "inappropriate posts (sense of humor)."
LD, what sorta clubs do you hit up? The ones that play hip-hop or the ones with house music?

LongDong, I'm a third year who came to Derm late. I have a Step I score between 250-260, all preclinical Honors (if that's even worth much), and all A's during third year but no "Honors", and non-AOA unfortunately. I have two non-derm pubs pending, and am hopefully starting to work with a dermatopathologist on some research, but I'm a little worried that this won't lead to anything publishable in the near future. I also did a case report write up/presentation recently in Derm.

I know you're a big proponent of "who you know." I'm definitely trying to get to know the Derm faculty at my school now, but I feel like I'm at a disadvantage compared to people who knew the wanted Derm from day 1. Additionally, my amount of research pales in comparison to a lot of successful matches, even though I'm still working on that. I know you got into Derm late in the game as well . . . what advice do you have to maximize my chances of matching into Derm in the upcoming cycle?

Thanks.
And to piggyback off this, how do you go about getting to know faculty? Show up and say hi?

And to piggyback off this, how do you go about getting to know faculty? Show up and say hi?

I started by emailing the head of the Derm program and asking him if I could meet with him to discuss my interest in the field. I think that's a reasonable way to start off, no?

I started by emailing the head of the Derm program and asking him if I could meet with him to discuss my interest in the field. I think that's a reasonable way to start off, no?
Seems to have worked out well enough for you. So, that's good.

LD, what is your opinion on RoC skincare products?

I actually like them and tell patients if you want to pay 3-4 times more for the same active ingredient, a label, and celebrity endorsement they can go right ahead, if it makes them feel better.

Thanks.
Seems like you are doing all the right things, and yes you are at a disadvantage compared to those who knew from when they where born with neonatal acne that they wanted to do derm. You still have this summer maybe consider doing a derm research elective with someone who has a history for vouching for people. That's what I did the summer between 3-4th year tagged on a month that would of been vacation to the end of the research and got 2 papers eventually published. You get interviews probably not as many as those who take a year off to do research, something you could also consider. Go here is you want to gage yourself against people with similar numbers: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=218071
LD, what sorta clubs do you hit up? The ones that play hip-hop or the ones with house music?

Yes house, and more and more dub step shows. I've gone to every major U.S. festival (Ultra, WMC, EDC, Coachella etc.) every year during my derm residency. Not to many other residencies will have time to do that

I started by emailing them, one in particular had a history of getting med students published and I eventually did get 2 papers published with him from a 2 month summer research project.

LD, I'm not currently interested in derm and, of the ROAD specialties I'd probably lean towards Rads, however, I still gotta ask....can I shadow you?

Your stats are :eek:. I'm just curious, what specifically made you change from path to derm?

The fact that you're on here giving back is seriously awesome btw. Please don't get banned.

Last edited:
LD, who were some of your favorite acts at WMC this year? Did you get a chance to catch Armin and his crew celebrating ASOT 500?

LongDong,

How important is it to get publications specifically in Derm, if you want to go that route? I'm thinking I would like to do something like Rad Onc, but just curious if, for instance, I changed my mind in the middle of third year and wanted to do Derm, if the non-derm pubs would suffice?

-Captain SAH

LD, I'm not currently interested in derm and, of the ROAD specialties I'd probably lean towards Rads, however, I still gotta ask....can I shadow you?

Your stats are :eek:. I'm just curious, what specifically made you change from path to derm?

The fact that you're on here giving back is seriously awesome btw. Please don't get banned.

Sure you can shadow I'll be in Southern Calif. in a private practice in a few months.

I'm a visual person was thinking path or rads at first but after 3rd year found I enjoy seeing patients as well. So thought I'd do derm then path so I could mix it up. But at this point so tired of training I just want to get on with my life and make it rain on them.

LD, who were some of your favorite acts at WMC this year? Did you get a chance to catch Armin and his crew celebrating ASOT 500?

At the WMC I've always enjoyed Axwell's pool party and at Ultra I really enjoyed Porter Robinson's set. I did catch ASOT and it was pretty bomb even though I'm not much of a trance person. Here are some videos that I shot of the events.

[YOUTUBE]6HVsxzf4Zs8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]AXfBS3hW03E[/YOUTUBE]

LongDong,

How important is it to get publications specifically in Derm, if you want to go that route? I'm thinking I would like to do something like Rad Onc, but just curious if, for instance, I changed my mind in the middle of third year and wanted to do Derm, if the non-derm pubs would suffice?

-Captain SAH

Pubs aren't hard to come by if you are hooked up with the right people (case report, review etc), non derm pubs would help but you'll be going against others that have the numbers and the derm pubs. In small fields like Derm, Rad Onc and plastics they could fill the spots with 270+ step 1 people but they don't. They rather have published well adjusted people who others in these small field that they know have vouched for. People are more likely to vouch for you if you worked closely with them doing research, it also shows the program that you could possibly publish as a resident in there program without much hand holding. Lets face it publishing brings name recognition and $.

Pubs aren't hard to come by if you are hooked up with the right people (case report, review etc), non derm pubs would help but you'll be going against others that have the numbers and the derm pubs. In small fields like Derm, Rad Onc and plastics they could fill the spots with 270+ step 1 people but they don't. They rather have published well adjusted people who others in these small field that they know have vouched for. People are more likely to vouch for you if you worked closely with them doing research, it also shows the program that you could possibly publish as a resident in there program without much hand holding. Lets face it publishing brings name recognition and $.

I'm not doubting you that they can look at other stuff, and I'm SURE research within Derm is a plus, but in 2009 only 20 students with a USMLE of more than 260 applied to Derm and 17 of them matched.

Of course, I have no idea how many of those PhD students got their PhD in a dermatology-relevant field.

Interestingly (and not related to this thread), a field like Plastic Surgery (which has a higher mean USMLE score and fewer spots) seemed not to have any benefit from having a PhD or even that many publications. The n was small so I'll go back and compare previous years, but in 2009, 9 people with PhD applied and only 2 of them matched. For plastic surgery, AOA seemed to be the single most important category (aside from the expected progression of higher chance of matching with a higher USMLE score).

Just interesting how different specialties decide on their candidates....