Ask Jalby anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not doubting you that they can look at other stuff, and I'm SURE research within Derm is a plus, but in 2009 only 20 students with a USMLE of more than 260 applied to Derm and 17 of them matched.

Of course, I have no idea how many of those PhD students got their PhD in a dermatology-relevant field.

I was being facetious cuz I haven't looked at the matched data in a while (not since I applied). I've looked at applicatants applying now coming through my program and their numbers (step 1) continue to rise astronomically, but yeah goes to show you 260+ board score doesn't guarantee a spot in derm.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
LD, how does one acquire a true LD?

I was being facetious cuz I haven't looked at the matched data in a while (not since I applied). I've looked at applicatants applying now coming through my program and their numbers (step 1) continue to rise astronomically, but yeah goes to show you 260+ board score doesn't guarantee a spot in derm.

I actually found it interesting that in the NRMP data ( http://www.nrmp.org/data/index.html ), the mean Step I score above which would lead program directors to "automatically interview" an applicant was 247. That seems odd given how few interviews tend to be granted to even the most stellar applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
LD, how does one acquire a true LD?

Well one of the hotest girls in my med school class went into urology, I'd say go see her. Her giving you just an exam would get you a LD.

Last edited:
LD, I noticed in other posts you mentioned using review books right off the bat during med school rather than focusing too much on text books. Do you still think that's a good way to go?

Also, I never really enjoyed the movie Sixteen Candles. Will this affect my Step 1 performance?

LD, I noticed in other posts you mentioned using review books right off the bat during med school rather than focusing too much on text books. Do you still think that's a good way to go?

Also, I never really enjoyed the movie Sixteen Candles. Will this affect my Step 1 performance?

1. My memory is bad so if i read a text book I wont remember much of it anyways due to volume. I use text books as a reference if something doesn't make sense in a review book. Worked well for med school and worked well for residency so far on the the in service.

2. Yes it will affect your step 1 performance. After watching 16 candles i was able to muster the courage to hit on girls. Without my "sexy american gulfriend" and nookie on a regular basis I wouldn't have been able to study hard for it.

LD, aren't you a resident? How do you have time to answer all these questions.

I actually found it interesting that in the NRMP data ( http://www.nrmp.org/data/index.html ), the mean Step I score above which would lead program directors to "automatically interview" an applicant was 247. That seems odd given how few interviews tend to be granted to even the most stellar applicants.

It says "almost always". Who knows what that means to PD's. And given that it's an average that means some programs could be as high as 260.

And only 52 programs responded.

And never trust anything a PD says pre-match haha

It says "almost always". Who knows what that means to PD's. And given that it's an average that means some programs could be as high as 260.

And only 52 programs responded.

And never trust anything a PD says pre-match haha

Haha, all good points.

LD,

One reason I'm going to keep dermatology open as an option is due to less exposure to death than some other specialties. Would this be a valid reason to bring up during an interview, or would this be something I wouldn't want to mention (a la salary, lifestyle)?

Members don't see this ad :)
LD,

One reason I'm going to keep dermatology open as an option is due to less exposure to death than some other specialties. Would this be a valid reason to bring up during an interview, or would this be something I wouldn't want to mention (a la salary, lifestyle)?
Melanoma is a bitch.

LD,

You never know, that acne can take a turn for the worse if you aren't careful.

LD,

Something you wouldn't want to mention until after you match.

1. My memory is bad so if i read a text book I wont remember much of it anyways due to volume. I use text books as a reference if something doesn't make sense in a review book. Worked well for med school and worked well for residency so far on the the in service.

2. Yes it will affect your step 1 performance. After watching 16 candles i was able to muster the courage to hit on girls. Without my "sexy american gulfriend" and nookie on a regular basis I wouldn't have been able to study hard for it.
So you recommend buying USMLE review books from anatomy onwards?

LD, you've probably posted the study routine you used for step 1 somewhere on this forum but I was just wondering how many hours, on average, did you spend studying for your step 1 each day or week (outside of class) ?

So you recommend buying USMLE review books from anatomy onwards?
Yes in addition to studying lecture notes.

LD, you've probably posted the study routine you used for step 1 somewhere on this forum but I was just wondering how many hours, on average, did you spend studying for your step 1 each day or week (outside of class) ?

About 1-2 hours a day on top of class work studying towards the end of second year. Here is my schedule, it's old so make changes accordingly. Go about 5 post down.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=187956

I do not have what it takes to do derm. So among the specialties that I am considering which is most like derm: radiology, pmr, or ER? Which is least?

that's not the right attitude. "whether you think you can or you can't, you're right."

I think it's a good attitude. We should all know our limits.

So you think you are neurologically incapable of getting a high Step 1 score?

You don't know how to get into contact with people for research opportunities?

You don't have enough social skills to do well on rotations?

So you think you are neurologically incapable of getting a high Step 1 score?

You don't know how to get into contact with people for research opportunities?

You don't have enough social skills to do well on rotations?

I think I'm taking step 1 in two weeks and what I'm getting will NOT match me into derm.

Can LD answer the original question please?

I still find this whole thread to be quite humorous. Jalby comes in saying "ask anything!" and then never returns. I wonder what happened...

Long Dong, please consider running for president of USA in the future. You got my vote :thumbup:

Also in response to the reply above I think we are all thankful LD took over the thread. I'm gonna check out his past postings to find useful study tips too. I was way too inefficient first semester with my study approach.

Last edited:
I still find this whole thread to be quite humorous. Jalby comes in saying "ask anything!" and then never returns. I wonder what happened...

We all got troll'd hard

Man, whatever happened to good old fashioned past tense education? Do kids not learn "-ed" = past tense anymore?

Perhaps you should surf the interwebs more oftenz! L34rnings the wayz people do things on the internets would help you understand people's uses of words, and make you more 1337 (pronounced "thirteen thirty seven"), because Im 1492 when I sail the ocean blue with my HMG! for those old enough to have played this game.

STRONG BADED'D!

Start here, Teen Girl Squad Proper Grammar
Then go here, Teen Girl Squad Episode 3 internet meme

Then educate yourself to internet hiliarity with Strong Bad Emails especially Trogdor, the Burninator! and play the game, Trogdor

Its only been around for about 10 years...

TROGDOR WAS A MAN!

Last edited:
I do not have what it takes to do derm. So among the specialties that I am considering which is most like derm: radiology, pmr, or ER? Which is least?

All these are good but you need to ask yourself can you handle hours on end in the dark room, odd hours up late at night for the next 10-20 years. That would apply to rads and ER respectively. PM&R would be the closest to derm hours wise Mon-Fri 9-5 and they can do a pain fellowship which it is my understanding pays alot. Some will say find something you love, but I say even if i married a super model I'd love doing her in the the begining but eventually it'd be become old hat. So find something you like/enjoy and enjoy your time off more then your time at work.

I think I'm taking step 1 in two weeks and what I'm getting will NOT match me into derm.

Can LD answer the original question please?

Even without a stellar step 1 it can be done if it is the only thing you can see yourself doing and research/connections can compensate for it. Like in most competitive fields research as a rule of thumb is inversely proportional to step 1/aoa. If you go to this thread even those with low step ones matched derm and did it with research.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=218071

Let me drive this point home: Who you know > what you know (step 1/aoa).

Long Dong, you're always emphasizing it's about "who you know"

How do you figure out who is who in your derm department and who is highly considered within the field? Is it #papers published per year?

Long Dong, you're always emphasizing it's about "who you know"

How do you figure out who is who in your derm department and who is highly considered within the field? Is it #papers published per year?

Pretty much or #of papers total or just pull out the text book that derm resedents use get one of those names to vouche for you or do research with. It's a small field the big names tend to know each other.

Hi Long Dong, been enjoying reading your advice so far and thanks for spending some of your well-compensated time on SDN. Btw, is this Drysol for underarm hyperhidrosis safe? What say you on its effectiveness?

You know I was wondering... if you're really into derm and say, don't have the scores or pubs, why don't people consider doing IM and then doing a fellowship into derm instead? I know it takes more time but you're still going to be making the same amount of money and living a fairly cush life afterwards. It's interesting cause no one seems to mention this route and make it seem like if you don't match out of med school you pretty much can't make it into derm at all. What say you LD?

You know I was wondering... if you're really into derm and say, don't have the scores or pubs, why don't people consider doing IM and then doing a fellowship into derm instead? I know it takes more time but you're still going to be making the same amount of money and living a fairly cush life afterwards. It's interesting cause no one seems to mention this route and make it seem like if you don't match out of med school you pretty much can't make it into derm at all. What say you LD?

You can do that!? Im totally going into Derm now

hah, whoops... my bad. I didn't bother looking up what someone told me as being accurate or not. Never mind.

Dude, you mean what you said ain't true? Way to dash our hopes of living life Long Dong style man!

Derm wouldn't be a fellowship, you'd just be applying for residency again. And doing an IM residency doesn't guarantee that you'll match. Your best bet would be to fix whatever deficit you had on your application (which most likely wasn't the lack of IM training).

Dude, you mean what you said ain't true? Way to dash our hopes of living life Long Dong style man!

I know, I know. I'm sorry guys. God, everyone makes mistakes!! Will you ever find it in your heart to forgive? Like how you forgive Houston Nutt for bailing on the program and then taking another job at Ole Mrs? :smuggrin: WPS.

Derm wouldn't be a fellowship, you'd just be applying for residency again. And doing an IM residency doesn't guarantee that you'll match. Your best bet would be to fix whatever deficit you had on your application (which most likely wasn't the lack of IM training).

Yeah, I know. I was just throwing what I heard out there, but seriously though... I'm really not interested in Derm. Good lifestyle and money no doubt but I just don't think it's for me.

Sleep Medicine and Allergy may interest you.

I know, I know. I'm sorry guys. God, everyone makes mistakes!! Will you ever find it in your heart to forgive? Like how you forgive Houston Nutt for bailing on the program and then taking another job at Ole Mrs? :smuggrin: WPS.

Hahaha...nice counter shot! I hated Houston Nutt...Petrino has done way better in a much younger tenure.

derm wouldn't be a fellowship, you'd just be applying for residency again. And doing an im residency doesn't guarantee that you'll match. Your best bet would be to fix whatever deficit you had on your application (which most likely wasn't the lack of im training).

qft

Dear Jalby
Should I fake my orgasms?
Thanks!
:)

Last edited:
Jalby....how do I make Mr. Peeps bigger?

Good thread. What fellowship are you interviewing for?

Interventional Radiology. I tried looking for this thread the day after I made it, and I couldn't find it, so I assumed it was deleted. I'm glad it found a life of it's own.

Dr.TobiasFünke;10968766 said:
Does Step 3 matter at all for fellowship?
Nope. I went from 259 to 220 to 195. nobody mentioned step three once.

How many abstracts, pubs, etc. did you have?

How did you decide on radiology?
5 publications. I decided on radiology when I didn't match into Orthopedics.

title: ask anything
thread: don't ask stupid questions

damn i'm confused.

Obviously you don't belong here then. Please go to the lounge.

Do you still hate Georgetown?
Not at all. They gave me a fellowship interview and it is a great fellowship. Can't we all let bygones be bygones???