MPH Ask Me (almost) Anything: Global Health Corps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghcorps

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a recruiter at the Global Health Corps and we partner with organizations like Partners in Health, Clinton Health Access Initiative, and Planned Parenthood, just to name a few for yearlong global health fellowships. We have more than 150 positions in the United States, Burundi, Malawi, Uganda, Zambia, and Rwanda (applications open until February 3rd). It's a great opportunity to get your foot in the door in global health work, as fellows have access to amazing networking and training opportunities during and after their fellowships.

Fellowships begin in July 2015 and run through August 2016. Fellows are paired with counterparts at our placement organizations and work in fields as diverse as data management, design, pharmacy, communications, M&E, and more. We're creating a community of changemakers and innovators - join us!

Ask me anything about our partner organizations, the application process, qualifications or what life is like for our GHC Fellows abroad!

[Side note: some of you might be interested in the Senior Research Associate position at the Zambian Ministry of Health, Zambia Center for Applied Health Research and Development, or Mengo Hospital.]​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are positions paid by salary or wages, by stipend, or unpaid? Is there any short-term, say a 3-4 month appointment, that students can do and apply towards their internship and practicum requirement. I'm very interest in international health, however I'm finding that funded opportunities are more fellowship like, requiring 6-12 month commitments. I would not have a problem doing that, however I'm still enrolled in an MPH program, and I am looking for a shorter-time opportunities to work in a vulnerable community in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Any insight, feedback, and/or suggestions that you can offer would be deeply appreciated.

Are positions paid by salary or wages, by stipend, or unpaid? Is there any short-term, say a 3-4 month appointment, that students can do and apply towards their internship and practicum requirement. I'm very interest in international health, however I'm finding that funded opportunities are more fellowship like, requiring 6-12 month commitments. I would not have a problem doing that, however I'm still enrolled in an MPH program, and I am looking for a shorter-time opportunities to work in a vulnerable community in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Any insight, feedback, and/or suggestions that you can offer would be deeply appreciated.

Fellows are provided with housing, health insurance and a living stipend. They will receive an award of $1500 upon successful completion of the fellowship year. Flights to and from the placement site and all other costs associated with GHC programming are included, including $600 in professional development funds. There are also a number of training and mentorship programs offered to fellows.

Unfortunately, our program requires a yearlong commitment. We believe that a year is the minimum amount of time required to learn and make an impact on the community. However, you can visit our website's page where we list a number of other opportunities in global health and some have shorter time commitments: http://ghcorps.org/connect/role-to-play/other-opportunities/

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the quick and informative response! I will be sure to check out the website to learn about similar opportunities, and will definitely consider the Global Health Corps upon graduation from the MPH program I'm in enrolled in now at Tulane's SPHTM.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, applications are still open for our 2015-2016 fellowships! Applications close February 3rd. I'm available to answer any questions about the application process or the fellowship itself until then.

Spread the word among your friends - don't let them miss the opportunity to get their applications in over the weekend. Thanks!

Hey, applications are still open for our 2015-2016 fellowships! Applications close February 3rd. I'm available to answer any questions about the application process or the fellowship itself until then.

Spread the word among your friends - don't let them miss the opportunity to get their applications in over the weekend. Thanks!

Hi, I actually have some questions about the internships(not fellowships) at GHC. Could you help me with that?