Ask the Program Coordinator!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When is the residents feedback taken into consideration? Is it generally used only when something stands out negatively?

Is it common to have a resident provided positive feedback on an applicant and it made a difference in deciding where to rank that applicant? If so, any examples?

Do most resident's provide feedback sort of in the middle. like that "applicant seemed pretty normal in the brief conversation and what i saw of them"

Given that I have relatively little insight into the interview process--our program doesn't have us review applications prior to interview or take part in the rank meeting--take what I say with a grain of salt.

Our program takes any feedback into account. Most of the time, the feedback is fairly neutral. The applicant didn't stand out in any particular way. Occasionally, it's negative. One that stands out is a student who rotated with us who didn't seem to care much, and we told our associate PD what we saw, and he didn't match. On the other hand, there were two students who rotated with us last year that all the residents loved--and both matched here.

In general, I think that the people who blow the residents away on those short interactions we have with them (assuming they don't rotate with us) tend to blow the interviewers away as well, so get good feedback overall. The ones we worry about are those who blow the interviewers and residents away, but give a bad vibe to our support staff.

Members don't see this ad.

PCs, when you receive an e-mail from a student asking about their status/getting into an upcoming interview date, what do you like to see? I want to make it long enough that the recipients don't just think I'm spamming every program, but not so long that it's annoying to read. What's the sweet spot for length and general content (particular interest in program, previously unidentified geographic links, whatever), if any, you want to know about?

Think KIS, Keep It Simple. We know you're spamming every program, so just ask about your status. You can mention why you are interested in their program, but honestly, we know you are else you would not have applied. Yeah, just keep it simple.

Reactions: 1 user
Frederica, Thank you for the time you have spent with this thread - especially during this busy part of the season.

I know this has been asked in many different ways, but here is one more re-framing - specific to my situation.
I am getting ready to make 'the call' or send 'the email.' It is particularly awkward because I understand I am not the sought-after applicant.

I am AMG, top 25 school, 4th quintile, a mix of Honors and HPs, who barely passed Step 1.
Since sending my app
, I have passed CS and Step 2 with a solid average score which I hope would ameliorate some program concerns. I have applied appropriately and broadly but have only received a few invites.

It would feel embarrassingly bold to "check on the status of my app," because I should reasonably know what that status is with my Step 1 red flag. Should I address this and my improved Step 2? Should I start with a humble, "I know I am not your first choice....?" Would you personally have the time to think about this information if you heard it? For you, which would be more impactful, receiving a call or email?

Thank you.

Last edited:
If you're going to contact programs, I would simply tell them about your improved Step 2 score, reiterate your interest in the program, and ask for an update. Personally I'd email programs rather than call, but that's a style choice. I wouldn't say "I know I'm not your first choice". I might say "I think my Step 2 score better represents my medical knowledge". Let's see what Frederica says.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure if this is a better question for the PC or the PD but I was wondering how heavily the interview is weighted in determining the rank. Do programs already have a general idea of where they will rank an applicant before the interview? If so, how much does this really change after the interview (of course, barring any significant negatives)? The reason I ask is because none of my interviews so far have felt like true interviews, they've largely been conversational, with some where the interviewer tries to carry the whole conversation based on questions I have about the program rather than having any questions for me. Consequently, I'm not even sure how the interview is evaluated.

Ive sent so many thank you letters but no one has responded to them. Is that a sign that they are not interested in me?

Ive sent so many thank you letters but no one has responded to them. Is that a sign that they are not interested in me?

Even programs that expect thank you notes as a sign of interest may not respond to them, or may send a very generic response. Don't read too much into that.

Not sure if this is a better question for the PC or the PD but I was wondering how heavily the interview is weighted in determining the rank. Do programs already have a general idea of where they will rank an applicant before the interview? If so, how much does this really change after the interview (of course, barring any significant negatives)? The reason I ask is because none of my interviews so far have felt like true interviews, they've largely been conversational, with some where the interviewer tries to carry the whole conversation based on questions I have about the program rather than having any questions for me. Consequently, I'm not even sure how the interview is evaluated.

DEFINITELY program specific. I was just at a program where none of the interviewers had ever or will ever see my ERAS file. It was a weird experience for sure, but they claimed at that point all that matters is if they think we'd get along well for four years. The extent to which programs use your file in the rank is obviously up to the individual program...

After my interviews were over at a program I'd love to match into, the program director had each of the applicants in my interview group come into his office for an exit interview individually. When I went in, he told me "the faculty met while you were on the hospital tour and we all agreed that you would make an excellent fit here, and we would love to have you match with us."

Is this standard post-interview speak, or is that something I can take seriously?

After my interviews were over at a program I'd love to match into, the program director had each of the applicants in my interview group come into his office for an exit interview individually. When I went in, he told me "the faculty met while you were on the hospital tour and we all agreed that you would make an excellent fit here, and we would love to have you match with us."

Is this standard post-interview speak, or is that something I can take seriously?
Yes.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for entertaining all of our questions! I would be interested in hearing what led you all into your respective jobs as PCs, PDs, etc. Also, any advice you would share to a soon-to-be-intern who might want to be a PD in the future, but isn't quite sure of everything that it might entail?

If you're going to contact programs, I would simply tell them about your improved Step 2 score, reiterate your interest in the program, and ask for an update. Personally I'd email programs rather than call, but that's a style choice. I wouldn't say "I know I'm not your first choice". I might say "I think my Step 2 score better represents my medical knowledge". Let's see what Frederica says.

aProgDirector - Thank you. This was a huge in helping me move forward.

I'll post back and let the thread knows how it ends.

Several programs have responded to my thank you emails stating that they think I would make a great addition to their team and want to see me there next year. I'm thinking that I should just take these comments as "they didn't hate me, but don't read too much into it." It sure gets my hopes up though!

Are people really this naive? It means nothing. You can't read into anything. The only information that is useful is the fact that you got an interview, and your evaluation of how competitive the program is relative to your application. No program is ever going to tell a candidate "yo we thought you sucked and are super weird, also your application was bad in the first place how did you score that low and why did we invite you, definitely not ranking you," unless you like get naked and dance through their hospital. It's all BS/marketing/being a nice human being depending on your level on cynicism. Everyone is going to hear positive, nice, encouraging things from programs.

I want my last match to feel as welcomed as my top match. I'm always going to say good things. If I'm not ranking you at all, I'll probably be completely non-committal.

Not sure what to do next - I received rejection letters from programs in my home state which I assume is because my COMLEX score was below their minimum. I get that and understand it. However, their website says they will interview all residents of the state (small state) but since I changed my state of residency for med school it does not show on my application that I am from there when I feel that I could have at least gotten an interview based on my strong connections to the area (not to mention one of the programs is in a less desirable location which happens to be my hometown and routinely goes unfilled in the main match). In a last ditch move I decided to write a letter to the PD's stating my strong connections and desire to go to their program, but I couldn't find their email address anywhere on their site. I decided to write the PC instead and ask for the PD's addresses and have heard nothing back. I didn't know how else to obtain their addresses and now I don't know what to do since I haven't heard from the PC. Thoughts?

Not sure what to do next - I received rejection letters from programs in my home state which I assume is because my COMLEX score was below their minimum. I get that and understand it. However, their website says they will interview all residents of the state (small state) but since I changed my state of residency for med school it does not show on my application that I am from there when I feel that I could have at least gotten an interview based on my strong connections to the area (not to mention one of the programs is in a less desirable location which happens to be my hometown and routinely goes unfilled in the main match). In a last ditch move I decided to write a letter to the PD's stating my strong connections and desire to go to their program, but I couldn't find their email address anywhere on their site. I decided to write the PC instead and ask for the PD's addresses and have heard nothing back. I didn't know how else to obtain their addresses and now I don't know what to do since I haven't heard from the PC. Thoughts?
Seems like you've done all you can reasonably do at this point (without acting like a stalker).

Are there another wave of interview invites in December and January?

Last edited:

How was the program supposed to know this was your home state since it wasn't indicated on your application? I think it would be appropriate to contact the PCs of those programs by email or phone and explain your state/local connection and your understanding of the programs' policy toward interviewing home-state applicants. With that kind of context, I'd be willing to bet the PC would be more willing to send you the PD's contact information.

The program directories on FREIDA, ERAS, as well as the NRMP R3 system all have the program directors email address listed. You're telling me that NONE of the three systems you very well have access to had it?

I mean, occasionally I've seen the PC's email listed in one spot or another in lieu of the PDs... but never everywhere.

The program directories on FREIDA, ERAS, as well as the NRMP R3 system all have the program directors email address listed. You're telling me that NONE of the three systems you very well have access to had it?

I mean, occasionally I've seen the PC's email listed in one spot or another in lieu of the PDs... but never everywhere.

Thank you Raryn! To be honest I didn't even think of checking FREIDA. I did check ERAS, which did not have it, and their residency website, but I overlooked these other resources (feeling kinda stupid about that). Now that I have their addresses is it going to be annoying to contact them directly since I already contacted the PC?

Hi folks,
So sending emails or letters of interest in Feb before the rank lists are due, is that a good idea? Does one increase one's chances of staying fresh in PD/program's mind by sending holiday greetings or stuff like that? I know it's been considered creepy here on the forums but thought ask.

Also sending emails of interest at this point, is that a lost cause or could I eek out one interview? Or game over for new invites at this point in the game? I see on programs' websites that they conduct interviews sometimes into Feb.. that could mean that they have already scheduled all the spots by now.

Thank you!

Hi folks,
So sending emails or letters of interest in Feb before the rank lists are due, is that a good idea? Does one increase one's chances of staying fresh in PD/program's mind by sending holiday greetings or stuff like that? I know it's been considered creepy here on the forums but thought ask.

Also sending emails of interest at this point, is that a lost cause or could I eek out one interview? Or game over for new invites at this point in the game? I see on programs' websites that they conduct interviews sometimes into Feb.. that could mean that they have already scheduled all the spots by now.

Thank you!

Dude! Several PCs and PDs have already told you that sending multiple emails will annoy the programs! You have done everything that you can now. Give it a rest!

Hi folks,

Thank you!

I'm not usually one to bag on people, but you give off a distinct sociopath vibe. It is distinctly in your best interest to contact the programs as little as possible before they sniff that out. Just being real with you.

Reactions: 6 users
I want my last match to feel as welcomed as my top match. I'm always going to say good things. If I'm not ranking you at all, I'll probably be completely non-committal.

The last interview of day I had recently said... the spot was mine if I want it. It was up to me if I want to match there next year... it is my dream program.... So how much do programs bend the truth? Kinda want to cancel some less desirable places if possible.

Hi, thank you for starting this thread and taking the time to answer our questions. My question is below.
I've had several PD/APD or resident interviewers ask me if I knew anyone in their program. What is the purpose of this question? Do they want to know if they should remove anyone from applicant evaluation to prevent bias or they want to pay special attention to applicants with contacts in their program?

Thank you in advance!

Hi, thank you for starting this thread and taking the time to answer our questions. My question is below.
I've had several PD/APD or resident interviewers ask me if I knew anyone in their program. What is the purpose of this question? Do they want to know if they should remove anyone from applicant evaluation to prevent bias or they want to pay special attention to applicants with contacts in their program?

Thank you in advance!

They will probably follow-up with anyone you know at the institution to ask about you. Now, if those people don't have anything nice to say, then you may be removed from their rank list.

The last interview of day I had recently said... the spot was mine if I want it. It was up to me if I want to match there next year... it is my dream program.... So how much do programs bend the truth? Kinda want to cancel some less desirable places if possible.

It's a dangerous thing for a program to say, because even though it isn't a quid-pro-quo, it still sounds a LOT like a rank-to-match promise while they are still in the heart of interview season. Cancelling would depend a great deal on your finances and how much it would cost (in time and money) to attend those interviews. Weigh the pros and cons assuming that you're not the only person being told that the spot is yours if you want it.

My favorite story is a kid who's home program director verbatim told him they were ranking him #1, he was competitive for the program, he'd spent TONS of time with them, and then he didn't match after ranking them first. Obviously he didn't interview many other places. Still matched, but it was a crappy program close to him that he interviewed at because he could drive to it.

So do what you will, but for me personally even with great feedback it's 10 interviews or bust.

Reactions: 3 users

The match process is such a crap shoot. If you won't rank these less desirable programs regardless because you have 10+ other interviews at better places, then sure, cancel. But I wouldn't cancel based on your feedback from 1 interview.

Just looking for any advice/input.

IMG from one of the better known Caribbean schools.

Step 1: 233, first attempt
Step ck: 228, second attempt (first attempt: 208) - can't really explain what went wrong, but I put it all on myself and tried to rectify the situation as best and quickly as I could.
Step cs: pass, first attempt

Originally only planned to apply to IM, but ended up applying to IM and FM (~165 programs). Received 2 IM iv invites (places I never rotated at) with a failing ck reported and no passing score.

Resent my ck score today...Any advice/input in terms of perhaps emailing programs regarding my updated score and interest in the program. Or advice to just get a few more ivs to give me a chance. This has been a crazy 3-4months. Never expected to be in this situation, but I suppose most people say that. Nevertheless, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Just looking for any advice/input.

IMG from one of the better known Caribbean schools.

Step 1: 233, first attempt
Step ck: 228, second attempt (first attempt: 208) - can't really explain what went wrong, but I put it all on myself and tried to rectify the situation as best and quickly as I could.
Step cs: pass, first attempt

Originally only planned to apply to IM, but ended up applying to IM and FM (~165 programs). Received 2 IM iv invites (places I never rotated at) with a failing ck reported and no passing score.

Resent my ck score today...Any advice/input in terms of perhaps emailing programs regarding my updated score and interest in the program. Or advice to just get a few more ivs to give me a chance. This has been a crazy 3-4months. Never expected to be in this situation, but I suppose most people say that. Nevertheless, any input would be greatly appreciated.

At this point, your absolute best bet would be for an attending you've worked with to pull some strings with a program where he/she knows someone. Any kind of connection could make a difference. Apart from that, your only recourse is to call/email. Try programs where you have a geographic tie, especially if they have a history of taking IMGs. Go to any interview you get, no matter how short notice or inconvenient. Good luck!

Thanks so much to to OP for starting this thread! Regarding interview feedback, I'm applying to surgery, and have heard a lot of things like, "well your app is great, your letters are great, you interview well, you'll do very well." I've even had a few where they say, "your app is SO good that you could go anywhere, so why here?" Unlike some applicants I read about on here, I have not had attendings fawning at my feet saying the spot is mine if I want it, etc. Is this a red flag, or specialty-specific in any way? (Obviously, surgeons aren't known for gushy shows of emotion;-) ) My numbers are solid and I've never had any huge social issues that I know of, lol. What does it all mean?

The program that is shaping up to be my top pick is having a speaker come in next month. Would any PD/PC be able to comment on how showing up to something like this would factor into conveying my interest in the program/area and possible effect on rank position?

Thank you everyone for all of your advice in this process. It is so helpful to have some insight into how things work behind the scenes and how things should be handled on our end with some of these concerns.

I did have one question, though it is mainly out of my own paranoia that I ask it. I had expressed sincere interest in an Internal Medicine program but hadn't heard anything back for a long time. A mentor of mine who worked at this institution in the past then put in a word for me and I got an interview almost a day after he spoke to them. To be honest, I do not think I am anywhere near academically competitive for this institution but do fit in on many levels with their primary mission statement/global medicine track. Would the institution give me an interview out of a favor for my mentor without any possibility of ranking me? Can anyone comment on this happening in their own experience at their respective institutions? I know the likelihood of being ranked depends on several things but I'm just hoping this interview will mean enough to have me possibly ranked if I show them I am more than the numbers on my application.

Thank you everyone for all of your advice in this process. It is so helpful to have some insight into how things work behind the scenes and how things should be handled on our end with some of these concerns.

I did have one question, though it is mainly out of my own paranoia that I ask it. I had expressed sincere interest in an Internal Medicine program but hadn't heard anything back for a long time. A mentor of mine who worked at this institution in the past then put in a word for me and I got an interview almost a day after he spoke to them. To be honest, I do not think I am anywhere near academically competitive for this institution but do fit in on many levels with their primary mission statement/global medicine track. Would the institution give me an interview out of a favor for my mentor without any possibility of ranking me? Can anyone comment on this happening in their own experience at their respective institutions? I know the likelihood of being ranked depends on several things but I'm just hoping this interview will mean enough to have me possibly ranked if I show them I am more than the numbers on my application.

It's possible that you were just given a courtesy interview and they don't plan to rank you highly if at all. It's possible that they are sincerely open to seeing how the interview goes and ranking you accordingly. You have absolutely no way to figure out which is true so you might as well go in planning to shine on interview day, then rank the program however you'd prefer. That's really the only way to approach it-- don't overthink things.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks so much to to OP for starting this thread! Regarding interview feedback, I'm applying to surgery, and have heard a lot of things like, "well your app is great, your letters are great, you interview well, you'll do very well." I've even had a few where they say, "your app is SO good that you could go anywhere, so why here?" Unlike some applicants I read about on here, I have not had attendings fawning at my feet saying the spot is mine if I want it, etc. Is this a red flag, or specialty-specific in any way? (Obviously, surgeons aren't known for gushy shows of emotion;-) ) My numbers are solid and I've never had any huge social issues that I know of, lol. What does it all mean?

It means nothing, no flags. IMHO, no different that an applicant telling a program they are going to rank them #1.

The program that is shaping up to be my top pick is having a speaker come in next month. Would any PD/PC be able to comment on how showing up to something like this would factor into conveying my interest in the program/area and possible effect on rank position?

Where I trained, an applicant coming back for a "second look" was acknowledged as a sign of interest. But as far as I know its main utility was considered to be giving the applicant a chance to learn more about the program. To my knowledge it didn't affect their ultimate place on the rank list. At other places, you may get an actual boost.

To be clear, I'm talking about a formal second visit to a program. Not just showing up to an event that I presume is open to the public, like you're describing.

It's possible that you were just given a courtesy interview and they don't plan to rank you highly if at all. It's possible that they are sincerely open to seeing how the interview goes and ranking you accordingly. You have absolutely no way to figure out which is true so you might as well go in planning to shine on interview day, then rank the program however you'd prefer. That's really the only way to approach it-- don't overthink things.

Thank you for your advice! I will definitely approach it this way.

I was also wondering about contacting programs for an interview if "youre in the area." I have been waiting to hear back from Georgetown and will be in DC next week. It would great to have a shot at an interview if they have space and are still considering me. I'm from the SW so its a flight over to that side of the country. I sent an interest email in early November but never got a response...do you think it would be considered "annoying" to send another email or call to see if I'm still being considered/let them know I am in the city?

Ok so i'm back after a short hiatus. While we are talking about annoying .. how about think it from a desperate candidate who is thinking of trying every which way to nudge the PC/PD into considering him/her for an interview. At this point, if a candidate was not invited for an interview, it's possible that he didn't make the cut on the initial review but wasn't given an explicit rejection either.

If candidate annoys PC or PD by more than a couple emails/letters, they will either send a rejection which the candidate is assuming anyway or in case of an interview slot opens up, the candidate may be among the ones who showed interest multiple times.

I have sent an email to bunch of programs, never heard back. Should I send another but this time short and sweet, like "I'm still interested and would love to be come in for an interview should there be any cancellations"..I know it oozes desperation but that's what it's ..

I would appreciate some insight into the ranking process, granted it's going to vary from program to program.

So thinking more about the ranking of applicants by the programs during the interview season, I had an interview recently at a CT program and the PD said that they rank the applicants on day of the interview. He must be talking about a running internal rank list?

So if that's the case, what impact can thank letters/emails have on the the ranking? If they already placed an applicant say at given rank 24 (made up number), now the same applicant sends thank you notes/emails/cards to interviewer and the coordinator, will that now be considered sign of a nice candidate and give him a bump in the eventual ranking?

I keep seeing threads about sending email to at least the program that one is planning to rank #1 telling that that they are being ranked #1, could that move the needle or the ranking decision is pretty much set way ahead of the ROL is due from the programs?

Thanks for your reply! I'm starting to be in the camp that thank you note generally are for candidate's peace of mind but a nice gesture nonetheless..can't fix a bad interview! Then maybe there are programs who put some sort of value on this..could be little value but still.
It's somewhat there in the same domain as the "second looks"...I'm not sure about them too. I feel that they would be a nuisance for the programs to accommodate applicants for second looks on top of the regular interviewing candidates...
How does one even go about asking for "second looks" anyway? I was not paying attention on my first interview appearance at your program and now I want you to assign someone specifically for me to take a second look...it's all about me ..the ME generation :)
Thank you cards have minimal to absolutely no impact on the ranking. Send them for your own peace of mind only.

Thanks for your reply! I'm starting to be in the camp that thank you note generally are for candidate's peace of mind but a nice gesture nonetheless..can't fix a bad interview! Then maybe there are programs who put some sort of value on this..could be little value but still.
It's somewhat there in the same domain as the "second looks"...I'm not sure about them too. I feel that they would be a nuisance for the programs to accommodate applicants for second looks on top of the regular interviewing candidates...
How does one even go about asking for "second looks" anyway? I was not paying attention on my first interview appearance at your program and now I want you to assign someone specifically for me to take a second look...it's all about me ..the ME generation :)
My understanding of second looks is that it is something the program invites you to, not something you request.

Thank you and I have no idea about this. So apparently it's not something that applicant initiates. I would imagine this is something program will state on the interview day.

All of the programs I've interviewed with have said something along the lines of "let us know if you want to come back for a second look, we'll help set it up". In the Med/Peds world at least, it's something an applicant requests when they are having trouble deciding between the top few programs on their list. I think the impact on how this affects your rank with a program (if at all) is probably program dependent.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys is it ok to reply to an invitation using the coordinators first name or should I add Mr./Mrs. Or it doesn't matter?

Hey guys is it ok to reply to an invitation using the coordinators first name or should I add Mr./Mrs. Or it doesn't matter?

I used Mr./Ms. for all of them.

Just a hat tip: Remove Miss/Mrs. from your vocabulary unless you happen to know the person's marital status AND you know the person actually prefers to be called by that title.

Reactions: 2 users