Ask the Program Coordinator!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys is it ok to reply to an invitation using the coordinators first name or should I add Mr./Mrs. Or it doesn't matter?

If you can't tell if the coordinator is a man or woman, i.e. they have an uncommon first name, then it's okay to use their first name. I hate getting mail addressed to Mr. Freddie when I am really a Ms. Freddie.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi folks. Would appreciate some advise on the following: I am expecting to get my STEP 2 CS scores back within the next 1-3 weeks. I was pretty unhappy with the quality of my notes and suspect that they might have been bad enough to warrant a failure. So, in the given case that I did fail CS, should I:

1) Resubmit my scores (USMLE transcript) on ERAS as soon as they are releasing, thereby letting programs know I failed CS, or
2) Withhold from releasing my new USMLE transcript until after the match (and after passing it on my 2nd attempt), or
3) ??? Don't know what my other options are.

Context: I am a US MD. Applied to EM only with great stats and letters.

I will do the latter if the programs you are applying do not require it for ranking (as long as you pass the second time and no other red flags in your app)

Reactions: 1 user
Agree. The problem is that some programs may ask you about it. The way ERAS works, USMLE release is all or nothing. If you update, everyone gets it. So you'll have to choose between not releasing it and having some programs decide not to rank you because of it, or releasing and having some programs no rank based upon the fail. Still, the better play is probably to not release. But don't lie -- if someone asks you about it you answer truthfully, or not at all. In any case, you probably passed -- lots of people post about how they are certain they failed, and then they pass.

How bad is it to cancel a Peds interview that was scheduled for this upcoming Monday on such a short notice ( I emailed the PC today)? I had to cancel due to an emergency and explained it to the PC in my email, although i still feel bad. I really hope this won't affect my chances at other places since I've heard PC's and PD's talk amongst each other.

How bad is it to cancel a Peds interview that was scheduled for this upcoming Monday on such a short notice ( I emailed the PC today)? I had to cancel due to an emergency and explained it to the PC in my email, although i still feel bad. I really hope this won't affect my chances at other places since I've heard PC's and PD's talk amongst each other.

No sense in worrying about it since what's done is done. It's frustrating from the program's perspective because such short notice pretty much precludes getting the spot filled from the wait list. If it were me, it would require a complete re-do of the interview schedule, which wouldn't endear you to me even though I'd feel sympathetic toward your emergency. But PDs and PCs don't really talk that much--we don't know where else you've applied, for one thing, and no one has the time to devote to a vendetta against one random applicant with a late cancellation. At least you notified the program in advance, and since it was an emergency, that's really all anyone can expect.

@mcl is right. While I communicate with coordinators in my specialty often, we never talk about candidates. Partly because it really is unprofessional. If anything, I have received phone calls from coordinators speaking highly about a medical student from their institution who has applied to my program. But that's it. We don't have time to be catty.

@mcl is right. While I communicate with coordinators in my specialty often, we never talk about candidates. Partly because it really is unprofessional. If anything, I have received phone calls from coordinators speaking highly about a medical student from their institution who has applied to my program. But that's it. We don't have time to be catty.

I think this falls into the "people know more about you than you think and care less about you than you think" category.

I am hoping a program Director or Coordinator here can help me answer this question. I applied exclusively to IM program with physician-scientist training tracks and have interviewed at 7 so far. It is very clear in mind that this the career path I want to follow. However all of these programs give me the possibility of also ranking their categorical tracks . Very few candidates interview for PSTP as there are usually very few spots. My question is whether not ranking the categorical tracks at all will increase considerably increase my chances of going unmatched . I am not sure I want to run the risk of ranking a categorical program and then matching into one either. Any input on how the match for PSTP IM differs from the categorical track will be tremendously helpful. Thanks

I am hoping a program Director or Coordinator here can help me answer this question. I applied exclusively to IM program with physician-scientist training tracks and have interviewed at 7 so far. It is very clear in mind that this the career path I want to follow. However all of these programs give me the possibility of also ranking their categorical tracks . Very few candidates interview for PSTP as there are usually very few spots. My question is whether not ranking the categorical tracks at all will increase considerably increase my chances of going unmatched . I am not sure I want to run the risk of ranking a categorical program and then matching into one either. Any input on how the match for PSTP IM differs from the categorical track will be tremendously helpful. Thanks

You can become a physician scientist without a PSTP, but you can't become a physician without a residency.

If you rank the categorical programs at the bottom of the list, it won't even matter unless you would have otherwise gone unmatched. Although I'm not a PD or PC, I am someone solidly on the physician scientist track - To me, it's a pretty clear choice.

These are just different NRMP #s. If you rank all your PSTP programs first, in order of preference, and then rank your categorical programs, in order of preference, that is the best way to avoid your catastrophe scenario. Any program where you are ranking both programs should EXPLICITLY hear from you that you are doing that, so they can rank you on both.

It's just like you were applying to Derm and IM. Rank lists are for ordering preferences.

Another way to look at your question is to ask "What will I do if I don't match to one of my PSTP programs?". It's very unlikely that any PSTP programs will be in SOAP, and even if unfilled are unlikely to commit to a candidate over the phone (which is the way SOAP works). If you'd plan on doing a residency anyway, and then do some research years after that, then rank your categorical positions on your list as you're unlikely to do "better" in SOAP. If you'd plan on another research year and try the match again, then don't. But my personal advice is the same as the above, unless you have a strong reason not to, you should rank your categorical spots under your PSTP spots. You can always do a research year(s) / fellowship after your residency.

So when program directors ask IMG "Why this program" would you consider them lying if they begin jotting down perks of the program when in essence they really applied broadly to increase chances?

Hello,

I am a third year osteopathic student. I'm enrolled in DO/MPH dual degree program. I took the last two years off between OMSII and OMSIII (one year for MPH and the other year for personal health issue). I did well on the level 1 and Step 1 but I guess it's nothing to brag about since I had extra time to study for it. I was ranked high in my class for the first two years of med school.

Here's my question. I know that having a gap year during medical school can raise a red flag when I apply for a residency. I am freaking out right now because I am afraid that no programs would want me because of having time off during medical school. I am strongly interested in Psychiatry and Family Medicine. I am pretty sure that I will pursue my training in one of these two fields (I loved both rotations so much. it's so hard to choose one). Am I really in big trouble? Assuming that I finish the rest of my rotations with good standings and get a good LORs and Level 2/Step 2 scores, would I have a shot at being matched in FM or Psych in 2017? i am a worrier and i can't help myself. I'll be so happy if any one of PD could reply to my question.

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle.

Last edited:
Hello a ProgDirector. Thank you for taking the time to answer SDN questions even though you are very busy now. I am an USIMG (asian med school).Since I just graduated med school, I gather that I am not eligible to do clerkship rotations in the US anymore. I am trying to get USCE. What are your thoughts about paid externships like Americlerkships, Medclerkships, etc? Do you view these as valid USCE even though I heard they just give generic LORs. Or is it better that I just do an observership vs a paid externship? Thank you and also thank you Fredrica for your advice.

Sorry if these have already been answered. Two quick questions:
1. Does a second look invite generally go out to everyone?
2. Does not attending such an event affect ranking decision?

Thank you in advance for answering my questions.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hello,

I am a third year osteopathic student. I'm enrolled in DO/MPH dual degree program. I took the last two years off between OMSII and OMSIII (one year for MPH and the other year for personal health issue). I did well on the level 1 and Step 1 but I guess it's nothing to brag about since I had extra time to study for it. I was ranked high in my class for the first two years of med school.

Here's my question. I know that having a gap year during medical school can raise a red flag when I apply for a residency. I am freaking out right now because I am afraid that no programs would want me because of having time off during medical school. I am strongly interested in Psychiatry and Family Medicine. I am pretty sure that I will pursue my training in one of these two fields (I loved both rotations so much. it's so hard to choose one). Am I really in big trouble? Assuming that I finish the rest of my rotations with good standings and get a good LORs and Level 2/Step 2 scores, would I have a shot at being matched in FM or Psych in 2017? i am a worrier and i can't help myself. I'll be so happy if any one of PD could reply to my question.

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle.

FM and Psych are relatively non competitive fields. Your MPH will make you somewhat more competitive, rather than less. Some students do take health related LOA's. You are under no requirement to disclose what the health reason was. Some programs might worry that, whatever the problem was, it could resurface during residency and cause long absences. Mental health issues are a particular concern, as the long hours / sleep interruptions in residency can worsen these. This isn't "fair", and I'm not condoning it, but just telling it like it is.

In any case, the biggest issue is "getting rusty". You've been away from medicine for 2 years. When you return to clinical rotations, you want to do as well as possible. You might be best served by trying to get some clinical experience unofficially before you return, so that you can hit the ground running.

Overall, I think you'll be fine. Most programs will not care that much about the LOA, as long as your clinical performance is good.

Hello a ProgDirector. Thank you for taking the time to answer SDN questions even though you are very busy now. I am an USIMG (asian med school).Since I just graduated med school, I gather that I am not eligible to do clerkship rotations in the US anymore. I am trying to get USCE. What are your thoughts about paid externships like Americlerkships, Medclerkships, etc? Do you view these as valid USCE even though I heard they just give generic LORs. Or is it better that I just do an observership vs a paid externship? Thank you and also thank you Fredrica for your advice.

I don't know anything about the quality of these paid clerkships.

Sorry if these have already been answered. Two quick questions:
1. Does a second look invite generally go out to everyone?
2. Does not attending such an event affect ranking decision?

Thank you in advance for answering my questions.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Both of these will be very program dependent. We specifically state that no one is invited for second looks, that they are for the sole benefit of the applicant to help them make up their mind about ranking, and won't affect their position on our rank list. But other programs may use them as a "second interview" or to gauge interest.

FM and Psych are relatively non competitive fields. Your MPH will make you somewhat more competitive, rather than less. Some students do take health related LOA's. You are under no requirement to disclose what the health reason was. Some programs might worry that, whatever the problem was, it could resurface during residency and cause long absences. Mental health issues are a particular concern, as the long hours / sleep interruptions in residency can worsen these. This isn't "fair", and I'm not condoning it, but just telling it like it is.

In any case, the biggest issue is "getting rusty". You've been away from medicine for 2 years. When you return to clinical rotations, you want to do as well as possible. You might be best served by trying to get some clinical experience unofficially before you return, so that you can hit the ground running.

Overall, I think you'll be fine. Most programs will not care that much about the LOA, as long as your clinical performance is good.

Thank you so much for your advice. I am going to focus on my clinical years and step 2. Again, thank you so much. ^_^

Is it bad to tell multiple programs in a thank you letter that you hope to see them again in the future?

Is it bad to tell multiple programs in a thank you letter that you hope to see them again in the future?

It's neither good nor bad--just meaningless. And the same goes for when programs say something along those lines to applicants.

So when program directors ask IMG "Why this program" would you consider them lying if they begin jotting down perks of the program when in essence they really applied broadly to increase chances?

It's not hard to find one thing to like about every program you apply to. Sure...you want to match. That is the reason why ANYONE applies to residency...not only IMGs. But the questions you ask the program are often just as important as the answers you give.

Say you go out on 12 first dates and tell all the ladies that you lerv them and want to see them again. That would be bad. Take it as a pro-tip.

And although the interview season can feel like 12 first dates, it is not. You can lie to us all you want and send flowers and cards til the cows come home. We're used to it and although it impressed me when I started this gig, it no longer does. You might get lucky though and find a new PD who believes you!

Reactions: 4 users
So after just finishing an interview at one of the campuses at UIC, I recieved a rejection from another campus from UIC a few hours after that. Is it a mere coincidence or is it safe to say that the PD talked to the other program and told them not to invite me. Dont know what to take from this.

So after just finishing an interview at one of the campuses at UIC, I recieved a rejection from another campus from UIC a few hours after that. Is it a mere coincidence or is it safe to say that the PD talked to the other program and told them not to invite me. Dont know what to take from this.
Post hoc, ergo proctor hoc.

Take nothing from it other than a rejection from program B and an interview at program A. Move on.

Hello,

I recently needed to cancel an interview last minute due to the flu. I understand I put the program in a tough situation but I hope this does not reflect poorly on myself or others from my school. Also idk if PDs talk but I hope this does not affect my match. I was too sick to make the interview and had a good distance to travel. I contacted the PC and apologized multiple times. Hopefully nothing negative will come from this

Last edited:
Hello,

I recently needed to cancel an interview last minute due to the flu. I understand I put the program in a tough situation but I hope this does reflect poorly on myself or others from my school. Also idk if PDs talk but I hope this does not affect my match. I was too sick to make the interview and had a good distance to travel. I contacted the PC and apologized multiple times. Hopefully nothing negative will come from this

Nothing negative will come of this. You obviously won't match there unless you reschedule.

Hi,
I hope interview season is going well for all including PCs and PDs as they put lot of effort into the the whole process.

How does the ROL list work from the PD's point of view? Do programs typically rank all of the candidates they interview? What are the numbers like? If there are 10 positions available, is it 10 interviews to fill one position? My understanding is that if the candidate is ranked within the maximum quota, he/she is safe to match..

I would appreciate your thoughts. Thank you for your input.

Last edited:
Hi,
I hope interview season is going well for all including PCs and PDs as they put lot of effort into the the whole process.

How does the ROL list work from the PD's point of view? Do programs typically rank all of the candidates they interview? What are the numbers like? If there are 10 positions available, is it 10 interviews to fill one position? My understanding is that if the candidate is ranked within the maximum quota, he/she is safe to match..

Also when is a good time to send interest letter to programs? Is it end of January? Looking to understand the ranking/matching process from the folks (PDs, PCs) who are involved at a practical level.

I would appreciate your thoughts. Thank you for your input.
Every single one of your questions has been asked and answered multiple times in this thread alone. Go back and read it from the beginning. If you still have questions after that, do a search in the ERAS forum. If you still have questions after that, you're doing it wrong.

Reactions: 5 users
If I already told my #1 they are such right after my last interview.......should I do a letter of intent later. Or simply send another email around early Feb stating the same.

Program did not respond to that email at all but did respond back to another question I had and was explaining out how they would help me do that over my tenure there. It was a rather elaborate, detailed description I would think the pd would not do unless he wanted me to come there. They expressed high interest when I was there but I imagine I am not the only "pretty" one in the room.

I know some programs respond back and some don't to the rank question.

If I already told my #1 they are such right after my last interview.......should I do a letter of intent later. Or simply send another email around early Feb stating the same.

Program did not respond to that email at all but did respond back to another question I had and was explaining out how they would help me do that over my tenure there. It was a rather elaborate, detailed description I would think the pd would not do unless he wanted me to come there. They expressed high interest when I was there but I imagine I am not the only "pretty" one in the room.

I know some programs respond back and some don't to the rank question.

If it makes you feel good, sure. At my program they took all the cards and letters that were sent and dumped them out on the table for us residents to look at if we wished. Basically it made zero difference in your ranking if you sent or didn't send anything. YMMV.

Any value in sending a Happy New year or season's greetings card to program this time of the year? Will it be considered a good gesture and sign of continued interest? If so should it be sent to PD and PC both? Simple "Seasons' greetings and wish you very happy new year" would enough.

Is sending a letter better than sending an email towards the end of the season to say that I'm ranking a particular program #1?

Thank you for your time and season's greetings :)

Any value in sending a Happy New year or season's greetings card to program this time of the year? Will it be considered a good gesture and sign of continued interest? If so should it be sent to PD and PC both? Simple "Seasons' greetings and wish you very happy new year" would enough.

Is sending a letter better than sending an email towards the end of the season to say that I'm ranking a particular program #1?

Thank you for your time and season's greetings :)

For like the bazillionth time, don't inundate the PDs and PCs with emails, unless you have a question. They mean nothing to us and have absolutely no bearing on your ranking.

Reactions: 9 users
Thank you Frederica! Do you consider the old style paper card sent in the mail in the same category as emails? I mean cards sent in the mail are considered equally undesired/uninvited from PD/PC's point of view? I'm sorry but I'm probably a nervous candidate who wants to make sure not let any opportunity pass by where I could have done any thing to improve my chances of getting ranked well at a program where I have already interviewed.

Thank you for your patience here for posters like me! I mean well so that's why I'm asking before I blindly send anything to a program where I have already interviewed.

For like the bazillionth time, don't inundate the PDs and PCs with emails, unless you have a question. They mean nothing to us and have absolutely no bearing on your ranking.

Thank you Frederica! Do you consider the old style paper card sent in the mail in the same category as emails? I mean cards sent in the mail are considered equally undesired/uninvited from PD/PC's point of view? I'm sorry but I'm probably a nervous candidate who wants to make sure not let any opportunity pass by where I could have done any thing to improve my chances of getting ranked well at a program where I have already interviewed.

Thank you for your patience here for posters like me! I mean well so that's why I'm asking before I blindly send anything to a program where I have already interviewed.
I assure you that at this point, everything you do other than sitting on your hands and making sure your ROL is certified on time is actually harming your chances.

Reactions: 6 users

Yes!

While at it, what's the final word on sending letter or email to program where a candidate interviewed to tell them that I'm ranking them number #1? The folklore states, send these types of letters by end of January..

I guess let me come right out and say it, if you are a stellar candidate, fresh graduate from US medical college, you may be able to skimp on some of these "annoying" things but as an IMG who has few interviews to begin with, I feel like I need to double check and not miss a chance to stand out in good way hopefully.. Hence questions like interest letters etc.

I apologize if what I'm asking about things that are common knowledge and people may not put much stock in them.
I assure you that at this point, everything you do other than sitting on your hands and making sure your ROL is certified on time is actually harming your chances.

Thank you Frederica, there's quite a bit of this gray area where folks online suggest these kinds of things like cards and emails to wish new year or what not to stay current on programs mind as a way to communicate interest and hence be ranked favorably.

I feel at ease knowing that I don't have to deal with that on top of general holiday stress.

While at it, what's the final word on sending letter or email to program where a candidate interviewed to tell them that I'm ranking them number #1? The folklore states, send these types of letters by end of January..

I guess let me come right out and say it, if you are a stellar candidate, fresh graduate from US medical college, you may be able to skimp on some of these "annoying" things but as an IMG who has few interviews to begin with, I feel like I need to double check and not miss a chance to stand out in good way hopefully.. Hence questions like interest letters etc.

I apologize if what I'm asking about things that are common knowledge and people may not put much stock in them.

IN general, it doesn't mean anything. Anyone who has been doing this for a number of years has a story of someone who claimed they were ranking us #1, would have matched, and matched elsewhere. If that happens enough times, we simply start ignoring it. It wouldn't surprise me if some applicants send an "I'm ranking you #1" to all of their interview programs, regardless of their rank position.

Perhaps there's a small benefit to it. If I get a #1 email program from an applicant, and I'm not completely nihilistic from prior applicant behavior, then, maybe, when breaking ties on my rank list I might consider putting the person who said they were ranking me #1 higher on my list. But that's a lot of maybes, and not much win. So it really doesn't matter.

It might matter in a very competitive match, with a small number of spots. But I don't think that's what we're talking about here.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you aProgDirector for your reply. I agree that it depends on the PD and how jaded he might have become with these type of letters. I'm referring to Internal Medicine match which has fairly large number of slots but at the same time has huge number of applicants.

If one were to send it though, is email preferred or a handwritten letter is more persuasive?

Playing devil's advocate, there isn't much stopping candidates from writing #1 letter to multiple programs in the hopes to be ranked high on their lists. In the end the candidate matches wherever they do based on the Match algorithm. Worst case, two programs find out that you promised to ran them both #1 but apparently didn't, I don t see any adverse impact to the position where candidate would have already matched.

I guess there's one doomsday scenario, candidate send # 1 letter to multiple programs, they compare notes and all of them who know that candidate is misleading them decide to not rank or rank lower.

Thank you again for your reply, I appreciate it.

If one were to send it though, is email preferred or a handwritten letter is more persuasive?

Just send an email, if you feel compelled to send anything at all. You seem like the type to worry so at least that way you know it reached the recipient. A hand written letter seems like a pain to actually deliver to the PD (though I'm not a PC so can't really speak to that)

P.S. It won't matter either way as many have beaten to death above

as an IMG who has few interviews to begin with, I feel like I need to double check and not miss a chance to stand out in good way hopefully.. Hence questions like interest letters etc.

The thing is, if you do everything you keep asking about here you will stand out in a bad way. We understand that you're an IMG. The programs you're applying to know that too. They know that you are stressed about your chances of matching. You don't have to make any extra effort to tell anyone that you're interested, let alone do it repeatedly. You've done all you can, I promise. I would hate to see you end up hurting your chances because you didn't know when to quit.

Reactions: 6 users
The thing is, if you do everything you keep asking about here you will stand out in a bad way. We understand that you're an IMG. The programs you're applying to know that too. They know that you are stressed about your chances of matching. You don't have to make any extra effort to tell anyone that you're interested, let alone do it repeatedly. You've done all you can, I promise. I would hate to see you end up hurting your chances because you didn't know when to quit.

I am sorry to say this but I already find your repeated posts on the forum annoying. So, I am sure the programs will find repeated emails and letters annoying too. No offense intended. Just being real :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Chill. I like my learned colleague's posts and she's one of the people I regularly follow!

I am sorry to say this but I already find your repeat posts on the forum annoying. So, I am sure the programs will find repeated emails and letters annoying too. No offense intended. Just being real :)