Ask the Program Coordinator!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How does the application process work from the program directors end when it comes to LORs.

If I submit my certify my app on the 14th and then i only assign 2 letters, waiting for my third to come back on the 16th and then assign the last lor then. When they download my app on the 15th, i assume it will be without the last LOR, would they have to redownload my app after the 16th to see the third LOR show up?

Members don't see this ad.

Apparently. In multiple threads too.

Did I? I'm fairly certain I only asked this question once in only this thread. I had another post in another thread around the same time, but that was a completely different topic.

How does the application process work from the program directors end when it comes to LORs.

If I submit my certify my app on the 14th and then i only assign 2 letters, waiting for my third to come back on the 16th and then assign the last lor then. When they download my app on the 15th, i assume it will be without the last LOR, would they have to redownload my app after the 16th to see the third LOR show up?

There is no more downloading applications with ERAS--everything is there when the program logs in, and everything is updated in real time. In your scenario, on the 15th programs would see two LORs, and on the the 16th they'd see three. There is a link we can click on to see just new documents. Please keep in mind that with the vast majority of applicants submitting on Sept 14/15, it is virtually impossible for programs to review every application on the first day, so be patient.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,
Do programs retain the ERAS applications and personal statements for applicants from the previous match? I am a re-applicant and I made significant changes in my personal statement, so wanted to know if they will be able to refer to my personal statement from last year or not. Thanks.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using SDN mobile

Hello,
Do programs retain the ERAS applications and personal statements for applicants from the previous match? I am a re-applicant and I made significant changes in my personal statement, so wanted to know if they will be able to refer to my personal statement from last year or not. Thanks.

Doubtful at best. There just isn't time to play "compare/contrast" games across years. It's a new recruiting year, a new applicant pool, and there is nothing within a person's application that signifies he/she is a re-applicant. The only way I'm likely to remember or think to look is if I recognized your name as someone we interviewed during a previous year.

Reactions: 2 users
Doubtful at best. There just isn't time to play "compare/contrast" games across years. It's a new recruiting year, a new applicant pool, and there is nothing within a person's application that signifies he/she is a re-applicant. The only way I'm likely to remember or think to look is if I recognized your name as someone we interviewed during a previous year.
I have read somewhere some programs filter out second time applicants. Is that a myth?

It's a myth. There's no way for me to know that you've applied a second time without manually checking last year's list (or using Excel to compare the two lists). And that's much too much work.

But, if you applied last year and weren't selected for an interview, the decision may be the same.

And, some programs look more carefully at applicants who are farther out from graduation, hence applying a second time = at least 1 year farther from graduation.

I have two misdemeanor DUI's. The most recent was 8 years ago. I attend weekly AA meetings as a requirement for my current job. Being that people can be judgmental when it comes to this matter, would you think it better in my personal statement to mention the AA meetings or just mention the continued abstinence?? Part of me feels like mentioning the AA meetings shows I am proactive, but I also feel like it comes with a stigma. Greatly appreciate any feedback!!

I have two misdemeanor DUI's. The most recent was 8 years ago. I attend weekly AA meetings as a requirement for my current job. Being that people can be judgmental when it comes to this matter, would you think it better in my personal statement to mention the AA meetings or just mention the continued abstinence?? Part of me feels like mentioning the AA meetings shows I am proactive, but I also feel like it comes with a stigma. Greatly appreciate any feedback!!
While it's true that people can be judgmental (and hypocritical...says the guy drinking a beer while answering your question about troubles with alcohol) in situations like this, medicine is a field where permission is often freely granted, but forgiveness is usually withheld.

Which is to say, the more you offer upfront about your previous problems/struggles/issues, and how you've overcome them, the less likely you are to take a hit on them later. Programs that will judge you for disclosure now will figure out a way to fire you later if you hide it. Programs that will consider this a good life lesson now will also find a way to fire you later if you hide it.

I have enough LOR's to meet the requirements of the programs I want to apply to, but there's one LOR from a US elective attending that I was hoping to include in my application over one from my home medical school, but when I contacted his office I found out he's gone on vacation and he'll be back Sept. 19th. Would I have a better chance of matching by applying on time, meaning Sept. 15th with the LOR from abroad, or should I wait an extra week, possibly two for the letter to be released by ECFMG, and try to include the US LOR?

While it's true that people can be judgmental (and hypocritical...says the guy drinking a beer while answering your question about troubles with alcohol) in situations like this, medicine is a field where permission is often freely granted, but forgiveness is usually withheld.

Which is to say, the more you offer upfront about your previous problems/struggles/issues, and how you've overcome them, the less likely you are to take a hit on them later. Programs that will judge you for disclosure now will figure out a way to fire you later if you hide it. Programs that will consider this a good life lesson now will also find a way to fire you later if you hide it.

Also, it's quite possible that you'll be required to enroll in your state's PHP program (Physcian Health Program), and they might be more inclined to not put restrictions on your license if you demonstrate that you continue to be proactive about the situation, or they may require ongoing monitoring and commitment via AA or other tools and demonstrating that you're already involved may be a plus.

So, yes, disclose.

I have enough LOR's to meet the requirements of the programs I want to apply to, but there's one LOR from a US elective attending that I was hoping to include in my application over one from my home medical school, but when I contacted his office I found out he's gone on vacation and he'll be back Sept. 19th. Would I have a better chance of matching by applying on time, meaning Sept. 15th with the LOR from abroad, or should I wait an extra week, possibly two for the letter to be released by ECFMG, and try to include the US LOR?

Apply now with 3 letters, add the 4th when available.

Or, this may be the one case where it's better to delay applying. If you were to apply to my program, I might review your application and seeing no US experience, reject you. I'm not going back to rereview your application in case a 4th letter shows up.

There is no correct answer.

Apply now with 3 letters, add the 4th when available.

Or, this may be the one case where it's better to delay applying. If you were to apply to my program, I might review your application and seeing no US experience, reject you. I'm not going back to rereview your application in case a 4th letter shows up.

There is no correct answer.

Thanks, If I do it the way you said, should I follow up with the programs with a call/email once the 4th letter is uploaded or will the programs automatically be notified once the letter has cleared? In the scenario a program downloaded my app, but hasn't reviewed it yet, that 4th letter might end up saving me so I'd be willing to put in that effort.

Thanks, If I do it the way you said, should I follow up with the programs with a call/email once the 4th letter is uploaded or will the programs automatically be notified once the letter has cleared? In the scenario a program downloaded my app, but hasn't reviewed it yet, that 4th letter might end up saving me so I'd be willing to put in that effort.

There is no notification, the letter just shows up in your application. There is no downloading. No. Down. Loading.

Also, it's quite possible that you'll be required to enroll in your state's PHP program (Physcian Health Program), and they might be more inclined to not put restrictions on your license if you demonstrate that you continue to be proactive about the situation, or they may require ongoing monitoring and commitment via AA or other tools and demonstrating that you're already involved may be a plus.

So, yes, disclose.
Thank you for your feedback!

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I appreciate your feedback.

Which is better applying to FM program, an Old 2013 clinical LoR from IM /geriatrics or a recent non-clinical LOR from my clinical education fellow PHD supervisor?

There is no more downloading applications with ERAS--everything is there when the program logs in, and everything is updated in real time. In your scenario, on the 15th programs would see two LORs, and on the the 16th they'd see three.
Thanks, much appreciated.

Does it work the same way with transcripts? My school uploaded an incomplete transcript and im trying to get them to re-upload a complete one.

Which is better applying to FM program, an Old 2013 clinical LoR from IM /geriatrics or a recent non-clinical LOR from my clinical education fellow PHD supervisor?
The best thing is to not post the same question multiple times in multiple threads.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Does it work the same way with transcripts? My school uploaded an incomplete transcript and im trying to get them to re-upload a complete one.

Yes, it works the same way. A re-uploaded document will replace a previous document in real time when programs refresh or re-login after timing out. How incomplete is your transcript? Is it obvious that the school should supply a new one? I'm looking for new letters, but not really looking for updated transcript so if the update is significant and the re-upload doesn't happen soon you might consider a brief email to alert programs that there is an updated version.

Yes, it works the same way. A re-uploaded document will replace a previous document in real time when programs refresh or re-login after timing out. How incomplete is your transcript? Is it obvious that the school should supply a new one? I'm looking for new letters, but not really looking for updated transcript so if the update is significant and the re-upload doesn't happen soon you might consider a brief email to alert programs that there is an updated version.

ok thanks

It's probably not a big deal as long as the correct grades are put on the MSPE in a few weeks. Instead of "pass" for my surgery I and Peds II rotations, which I completed in july '15 and may 16 (I'm applying to IM programs), my unofficial transcript says "IP" meaning in progress. If I saw it, I would assume it was a paperwork issue.

Hi, I'm a long-time lurker, and yes, I have read all 17 pages of this outstanding thread! I would really appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

I'm an IMG applying to FM and IM, with only 3 weeks of total USCE. I will be starting a 1-month USCE on Monday, September 19th.

Is it better to:
A. submit my residency application on time (Sept 15); or
B. delay my submission until September 20th so I can include my just-started-1-month USCE on my CV?

I'm torn. The repercussions seem so big. Thanks for any advice!

Hi, I'm a long-time lurker, and yes, I have read all 17 pages of this outstanding thread! I would really appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

I'm an IMG applying to FM and IM, with only 3 weeks of total USCE. I will be starting a 1-month USCE on Monday, September 19th.

Is it better to:
A. submit my residency application on time (Sept 15); or
B. delay my submission until September 20th so I can include my just-started-1-month USCE on my CV?

I'm torn. The repercussions seem so big. Thanks for any advice!

From your question, I'm assuming ERAS doesn't allow you to enter dates in the future. If it does, just list your US experience as starting on 9/20. If it doesn't, either wait until 9/20 to submit, or mention it in your PS.

Consider saving one letter slot for an LOR from the rotation.

From your question, I'm assuming ERAS doesn't allow you to enter dates in the future. If it does, just list your US experience as starting on 9/20. If it doesn't, either wait until 9/20 to submit, or mention it in your PS.

Consider saving one letter slot for an LOR from the rotation.
Thanks a lot for the reply!

ERAS does allow you to enter future dates, but it is only per month, so it would say "09/2016-10/2016". I feel like it is being dishonest if I write it in my application BEFORE I actually begin. I mean, what if that 1% thing happens where the physician is suddenly unable to accommodate me?

So now I'm thinking, can I include it, write "09/2016-10/2016", and just explain how it will be starting just after Sept 15, and describe the work experience as "Projected experience: blah blah blah"? I'm open to that idea, but don't want to come across as desperately fishing for work experience.

Thanks!

Thanks a lot for the reply!

ERAS does allow you to enter future dates, but it is only per month, so it would say "09/2016-10/2016". I feel like it is being dishonest if I write it in my application BEFORE I actually begin. I mean, what if that 1% thing happens where the physician is suddenly unable to accommodate me?

So now I'm thinking, can I include it, write "09/2016-10/2016", and just explain how it will be starting just after Sept 15, and describe the work experience as "Projected experience: blah blah blah"? I'm open to that idea, but don't want to come across as desperately fishing for work experience.

Thanks!

I think it's fine to enter a future date, and put that it's planned in your description. If it falls apart and doesn't happen, you will need to disclose that and it's possible that programs might withdraw interview offers.

Reactions: 1 users
I already posted this in the anesthesia forum, but then I found this thread (which has far more traffic and help) so I figured this is where I'll get my answer.

I'm currently doing a rotation at a "top" anesthesia program. I hope to get a letter from this rotation. I'm submitting my application for anesthesia programs right now.

I already have 4 letters. 1 family med, 1 critical care, 2 anesthesia (all in private practice).

I'm thinking I'll only submit 3 letters for now (2 gas and family med) and submit the new one once I get it (probably won't be for 3-4 wks). The question is, will that letter be too late to make a difference in spite of its big name attached to it? Would I be better off just submitting all 4 letters that I already have?

There's no "right" answer. But, I'd submit 3 and save a slot for your "top" letter. The way I see it, your other 4 letters are all probably similar in effect -- whether you submit 3 or 4, the result will probably be the same. Perhaps the "top" letter will have a significant impact on your application. That assumes that you can get the letter uploaded in a timely manner, and that they say nice things about you. I'd drop the FP letter unless there's something specific about it that you need to include.

When considering osteopathic students, regional preferences aside, are all DO schools considered equal?

When considering osteopathic students, regional preferences aside, are all DO schools considered equal?

I'm from an academic program and we absolutely stratify DO applicants by school, and it plays a large role in our initial impression of an applicant. There is quite a wide spectrum of DO schools out there, including some really solid ones.

Look to see where some past graduates of your school has gone as a guide.

As I just received my Ck score on the 14th, which means I've now completed, step 1, ck and cs, ecfmg started the certification process which could take up to a few weeks. Once I get the certification do I need to notify programs or do anything to my ERAS application, or will it automatically be noted that I am ECFMG certified?

Thanks.

As I just received my Ck score on the 14th, which means I've now completed, step 1, ck and cs, ecfmg started the certification process which could take up to a few weeks. Once I get the certification do I need to notify programs or do anything to my ERAS application, or will it automatically be noted that I am ECFMG certified?

Thanks.

How do you start that process?

Thank you all for this helpful thread! A few questions...

1. Do programs we have already applied to get some sort of alert if something has been updated in an application they have previously received/reviewed, whether it be a new LOR, updated transcript, new board scores, new PS, etc? Or once they have viewed an application, would they only see that there has been an update if they happen to go back to your application on their own? I'm concerned that programs will never know that something significant has been updated....

2. I think in the past when applications were downloaded, applicants could see when a program had downloaded their app? With things now uploaded and viewed in real time, is there a way for us to see that our app has already been looked at?

3. Is it a bad idea to apply to both a prelim and categorical program in the same specialty at the same program (ex. prelim medicine and categorical IM at the same program), especially if the PDs are the same?

Thank you!

1. Do programs we have already applied to get some sort of alert if something has been updated in an application they have previously received/reviewed, whether it be a new LOR, updated transcript, new board scores, new PS, etc? Or once they have viewed an application, would they only see that there has been an update if they happen to go back to your application on their own? I'm concerned that programs will never know that something significant has been updated....

2. I think in the past when applications were downloaded, applicants could see when a program had downloaded their app? With things now uploaded and viewed in real time, is there a way for us to see that our app has already been looked at?

3. Is it a bad idea to apply to both a prelim and categorical program in the same specialty at the same program (ex. prelim medicine and categorical IM at the same program), especially if the PDs are the same?

Thank you!

1) It's more complicated than it used to be on "old ERAS" where I pressed a button after every download and could see exactly which documents were sent in that batch arranged alphabetically by applicant WITH an indication of whether it was a new document or a revised one. With "online ERAS" I have multiple methods for finding the updated documents, but they are all a little cumbersome. The most direct way is to search for new documents in a given time frame by type, but it's probably also possible to build a filter that would catch most additions/updates.

2) I imagine applicants still get some type of verification of delivery, don't they? Applicants have never been able to tell when a program was actually reviewing the application (downloading isn't the same as reviewing).

1) It's more complicated than it used to be on "old ERAS" where I pressed a button after every download and could see exactly which documents were sent in that batch arranged alphabetically by applicant WITH an indication of whether it was a new document or a revised one. With "online ERAS" I have multiple methods for finding the updated documents, but they are all a little cumbersome. The most direct way is to search for new documents in a given time frame by type, but it's probably also possible to build a filter that would catch most additions/updates.

2) I imagine applicants still get some type of verification of delivery, don't they? Applicants have never been able to tell when a program was actually reviewing the application (downloading isn't the same as reviewing).

1. That's what I was worried about. So if I have some significant updates that come in a couple weeks from now, should I contact programs individually to let them know? Since by that time, they will probably have already reviewed my app and moved on and may otherwise never know about the updates. And if so, what's the best way to go about that? Emailing the PC or calling someone? I don't want to come off as annoying either.

2. So far I received a message from one program through ERAS saying they have received my application, but I don't know if every program does this.

Thanks!

1. That's what I was worried about. So if I have some significant updates that come in a couple weeks from now, should I contact programs individually to let them know? Since by that time, they will probably have already reviewed my app and moved on and may otherwise never know about the updates. And if so, what's the best way to go about that? Emailing the PC or calling someone? I don't want to come off as annoying either.

2. So far I received a message from one program through ERAS saying they have received my application, but I don't know if every program does this.

Thanks!

Please keep in mind that coordinators are insanely busy right now, and weigh fairly carefully the importance of your update to the strength of your application. If it's a grade for a sub-I rotation, not really worth a special contact. A fourth letter when the program asked for 2-3, also probably not worth it. I grade for a delayed clerkship that is in the specialty you're pursuing--understandable (although this would likely get seen on the MSPE in a couple of weeks). A Nobel Prize--yeah, probably worth a special mention.

Also, please keep in mind that coordinators are insanely busy right now so a confirmation email just to indicate that they've received your application is not going to be the norm. I've assumed that there was some form of receipt from ERAS in both its old and new forms that verified the number of programs you paid for/applied to.

Thank you!
The beautiful thing about this thread (and forum) is that all of your questions have already been answered multiple times.

1. @mcl already spoke to this
2. No. Although to be fair, in the past, all somebody had to do was hit the download button for you to get that notification. And that's all you got. For all anyone knew, the app was downloaded and then the HD was immediately erased. It meant nothing then. Forget about it. While it would be nice if ERAS offered an option for programs to easily acknowledged, that still wouldn't give the applicant any useful information.

3. Asked and answered. Not "bad" per se, just stupid. Don't.

Please keep in mind that coordinators are insanely busy right now, and weigh fairly carefully the importance of your update to the strength of your application. If it's a grade for a sub-I rotation, not really worth a special contact. A fourth letter when the program asked for 2-3, also probably not worth it. I grade for a delayed clerkship that is in the specialty you're pursuing--understandable (although this would likely get seen on the MSPE in a couple of weeks). A Nobel Prize--yeah, probably worth a special mention.

Also, please keep in mind that coordinators are insanely busy right now so a confirmation email just to indicate that they've received your application is not going to be the norm. I've assumed that there was some form of receipt from ERAS in both its old and new forms that verified the number of programs you paid for/applied to.

Ok that all makes perfect sense, thank you so much for your advice! Would you happen to have any thoughts on my third question, about applying to both a prelim and categorical program within one specialty at the same program (prelim medicine and categorical IM or prelim peds and categorical peds for example). A lot of these programs have the same PD for both, so I wasn't sure if this would be seen as a strange move when they see both apps. Mostly thinking about this to maximize chances of matching in a specific geographic region.

If you get that Nobel/Lasker award you've been hoping for, or your first author NEJM paper finally goes to press, then yes, by all means notify programs (and upgrade your apps). Otherwise, forget about it.

The beautiful thing about this thread (and forum) is that all of your questions have already been answered multiple times.

1. @mcl already spoke to this
2. No. Although to be fair, in the past, all somebody had to do was hit the download button for you to get that notification. And that's all you got. For all anyone knew, the app was downloaded and then the HD was immediately erased. It meant nothing then. Forget about it. While it would be nice if ERAS offered an option for programs to easily acknowledged, that still wouldn't give the applicant any useful information.

3. Asked and answered. Not "bad" per se, just stupid. Don't.

Sorry, I responded to the other post already before seeing your response. Could you expand more on 3? Do you mean it's stupid in that it could backfire against me and ruin my chances at that program all together or its just a waste of time/money? Mostly thinking about doing this to maximize chances of matching in a specific geographic region even if it means having to reapply next year for an advanced spot.

Ok that all makes perfect sense, thank you so much for your advice! Would you happen to have any thoughts on my third question, about applying to both a prelim and categorical program within one specialty at the same program (prelim medicine and categorical IM or prelim peds and categorical peds for example). A lot of these programs have the same PD for both, so I wasn't sure if this would be seen as a strange move when they see both apps. Mostly thinking about this to maximize chances of matching in a specific geographic region.

I don't have any thoughts on the prelim/categorical question--but I know it has been discussed before (and recently). Check back a few pages and/or look for a thread on that topic.

Sorry, I responded to the other post already before seeing your response. Could you expand more on 3? Do you mean it's stupid in that it could backfire against me and ruin my chances at that program all together or its just a waste of time/money? Mostly thinking about doing this to maximize chances of matching in a specific geographic region even if it means having to reapply next year for an advanced spot.
If they're not interested in you for a Cat spot, they're definitely not interested in you for the (generally more competitive) prelim spot.

And look at it from the perspective of the PD. If you apply to both my Prelim and Cat programs, I'm going to assume (rightly or wrongly, but that's irrelevant) that you're apply to my Prelim program to complement your advanced ROAD app and my Cat program is your backup. In which case, screw you.

Re-frame the question as follows: Should I apply to both IM and Peds at the same hospital in order to maximize my chances of ending up in a certain geographic area?

Also, IM residency is 3 years. If you (generic, not you specifically) can't gut that out anywhere, there are bigger issues at play.

Programs can review new materials relatively easily. @mcl -- there's a tool right on your dashboard to do this. It's called "Application Activity", you just set the start and stop dates/times that you want to see application updates for. There's a collapsed window just below it that you need to expand first, and then click the "Update" button, and it will show you all of the new activity. You can also limit it to the filter you are running. I personally don't find it all that helpful.

Realistically, the amount of material that pours in is insane. And what change/updates are we talking about that might actually make a difference? Usually it would be 1) a new Step score; or 2) a 4th LOR; or 3) ECFMG certification. Although you might ask your school to re-upload a transcript, one more grade on a 4th year rotation isn't going to make any difference. You can't update your application with new publications (at least, I don't think you can).

For Step scores, if it's going to make the difference between an interview or not, I've labeled those apps in ERAS so that I can quickly check if a new step score has come in.

It's very unlikely that a 4th letter will change an interview decision. Any 4th letter will be reviewed when you interview.

If ECFMG certification, we can easily search for that. If a program only considers applicants who have full ECFMG certification, once your file is updated they will see it to review. If they consider applicants who will obtain ECFMG certification before July, then whether or not you have it doesn't matter much.

The bottom line is that, other than a Step score, there isn't much you can add to your application that will make a difference. And for programs that want that missing Step score, they will likely have a way of finding it when it arrives.

aProg what if i want to add an additional 50 programs to Pediatrics today, how does that affect these programs that might have already downloaded applications and will it change my eras submission date to those that i applied to today?

Last edited:
How do you start that process?

From my understanding, it's done automatically. On OASIS, it said you should one to weeks and if you haven't received any emails then call or contact them. A friend of mine just got an e-mail confirming his certification today, but I haven't yet so I guess they're working on it in batches.

aProg what if i want to add an additional 50 programs to Pediatrics today, how does that affect these programs that might have already downloaded applications and will it change my eras submission date to those that i applied to today?

It will have no effect on the places you already applied to and the new ones will show today (or tomorrow) as the date you applied.

It will have no effect on the places you already applied to and the new ones will show today (or tomorrow) as the date you applied.

Thanks for the reply, does my application automatically show up for the people looking at their end or do they have to redownload apps if they already have downloaded apps?

There is no downloading. That is a thing of the past, disappeared several years ago.

You apply. The microsecond after you apply, the programs to which you applied will have access to your application.

They will "review" your application whenever they want. Some programs may wait until Oct 1. Some may be processing as they go. Each can set a filter for "new applications to review" with any criteria they want (ie presence of board scores, transcript, number of LOR's, etc).

I enjoyed reading this tread and thanks for creating it. How does age play a factor in choosing a candidate?

I am older grad (US-IMG) applying this round. I am applying to 165 programs all FM and IMG friendly. My concern is my age. Does the PC or PD look on this in a negative way? I am in great health and used to be a computer programer for 20+ years and a part-time personal fitness trainer. Good LORs ... All US Clinical experience, no gaps ... Step 1 <210, Step 2 <220, Passed CS (All First attempts). A friend of mine with similar scores from my school had 23 interviews but he was 20 years younger. Just wondering how age plays into the screening process.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Programs can review new materials relatively easily. @mcl -- there's a tool right on your dashboard to do this. It's called "Application Activity", you just set the start and stop dates/times that you want to see application updates for. There's a collapsed window just below it that you need to expand first, and then click the "Update" button, and it will show you all of the new activity. You can also limit it to the filter you are running. I personally don't find it all that helpful.

Thanks for the ERAS tip! Just tried it and discovered that I wasn't following through by clicking the "View Details" link to get the printable list. It's a big help.