Ask the Program Coordinator!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for your reply! It makes sense that the content should be sufficiently different.

I want to be very respectful and considerate of PC's time. That's why I asked the question so I make the minimal contact count. At this point, one email to PD, CC to PC and then couple weeks later a handwritten letter directly to PD and not to PC. So it's the director who will be receiving the handwritten letter.I'm wondering though that the PD's mail (snail mail) may be handled by PC before it gets to PD but I'm not sure about that.

I'm not thinking of calling more than once. So PC will be receiving one email which he/she was CCed on but was addressed to PD. Then later after waiting for good amount of time, a phone call to check on the status and show interest etc.

High. Sending multiple ones like that both mail and email probably won't help, and the PC will likely be annoyed that you have sent so many forms of letters (especially if it's verbatim). They(We) are very busy not only with recruitment but also running our program at the same time. Multiple types of verbatim contact likely will be ignored. For example, I remember phone numbers (regionally) if you have called more than once. I remember your name if you have contacted me at some point; maybe I have a good memory. My advice is know what amount of contact is appropriate, and as I said above ^^ don't abuse this contact. Unfortunately, if you have already received a decline from that institution it's unlikely that'll you be on a waitlist, whether you express your sincere interest, say you're willing to travel last minute, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I was wondering how common it is to receive interviews in November and December and if you receive them in these months are you a second tier candidate? Also by november are applications still being reviewed or have the majority or applications been put on hold at that time?

Our first interview is November 20th and our last is February 6th. We pick interview dates based on faculty availability and offer dates to candidates to choose what works best for them.

I think you're reading too much into where you stand as a candidate based on when your interview is.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your reply! It makes sense that the content should be sufficiently different.

I want to be very respectful and considerate of PC's time. That's why I asked the question so I make the minimal contact count. At this point, one email to PD, CC to PC and then couple weeks later a handwritten letter directly to PD and not to PC. So it's the director who will be receiving the handwritten letter.I'm wondering though that the PD's mail (snail mail) may be handled by PC before it gets to PD but I'm not sure about that.

I'm not thinking of calling more than once. So PC will be receiving one email which he/she was CCed on but was addressed to PD. Then later after waiting for good amount of time, a phone call to check on the status and show interest etc.

Keep in mind, the PD is also really busy, they see patients and some do research. Their time is even more limited than the PCs. One form of communication is enough.

Not sure about the other PCs here, but I screen my calls. Occasionally I will answer the phone if I don't recognize the number, but like @gms4hi, I will remember the number and will definitely not answer the phone again.

The more you contact a program the less likely you will be invited to interview. I'm not trying to be rude, just being real about the process.

Any PD/PC can comment as to how common was it that a US Senior put Expected MD vs MD. Just wondering how neurotic I should feel about this.
Keep in mind, the PD is also really busy, they see patients and some do research. Their time is even more limited than the PCs. One form of communication is enough.

Not sure about the other PCs here, but I screen my calls. Occasionally I will answer the phone if I don't recognize the number, but like @gms4hi, I will remember the number and will definitely not answer the phone again.

The more you contact a program the less likely you will be invited to interview. I'm not trying to be rude, just being real about the process.

Agreed. One form of contact is enough.

Thank you gms4hi and Frederica for your insights! So an email and then at some point down the road sending a handwritten letter to show interest migh be a big turn off? I thought both may hold different weight. Email is easy to write, handwritten letter with few lines of summary of candidate's profile shows initiative and effort on the part of candidate to respectfully make PD aware of his/her existence and if PD thikns it's worth a shot he might send a quick message to PC saying hey look at this app or something..

Thank you gms4hi and Frederica for your insights! So an email and then at some point down the road sending a handwritten letter to show interest migh be a big turn off? I thought both may hold different weight. Email is easy to write, handwritten letter with few lines of summary of candidate's profile shows initiative and effort on the part of candidate to respectfully make PD aware of his/her existence and if PD thikns it's worth a shot he might send a quick message to PC saying hey look at this app or something..

If you've made up your mind then why ask.. Multiple PCs have told you just stick to one form of communication but if you want to do both go ahead. Whatever gives you peace of mind

Reactions: 1 users

Please listen to the advice being given. It sounds like you're trying to justify what you've already decided to do. I promise that programs are not going to take the time to read everything above into your communication. It's pretty much going to fall into the "normal" or "annoying" categories, and you're dancing on the edge of annoying.

fair point, I'm just feeling like doing something and feeling helpless just sitting and waiting so that was my way of doing something. I understand that it could be annoying but I guess it depends how desperate is the applicant, there's already silence on the program front so I have no idea if my application will be looked at all or didn't make the cut in the initial filter, so in the vein of last ditch effort, was thinking of hand written "letter of interest" after I had already sent "email of interest" couple weeks ago. Sorry for rambling on here .. good luck to everyone involved in the match and thanks to senior members here from PC, PD, faculty, MDs for your patience with questions from anxious applicants like me!

fair point, I'm just feeling like doing something and feeling helpless just sitting and waiting so that was my way of doing something. I understand that it could be annoying but I guess it depends how desperate is the applicant, there's already silence on the program front so I have no idea if my application will be looked at all or didn't make the cut in the initial filter, so in the vein of last ditch effort, was thinking of hand written "letter of interest" after I had already sent "email of interest" couple weeks ago. Sorry for rambling on here .. good luck to everyone involved in the match and thanks to senior members here from PC, PD, faculty, MDs for your patience with questions from anxious applicants like me!

I know it's tough. The process went relatively well for me, and I still wouldn't go through the Match again for any sum of money. You just have to be patient. One time correspondence is fine (email is easy for all involved). I just don't want you to make things worse for yourself.

Thanks IMPD! Good to know this issue did not impact the application process.

If you haven't heard anything from the program (a definite "yes" or "no") calling can't hurt your chances. If anything it brings your name to mind and if you are on a bubble position, it brings you back to mind. I wouldn't straight up ask for an interview, but express interest, ask where you stand, that's all fine. Does it make a difference? Sometimes. We get hundreds of applications, and the ones I remember most are the ones who have initiated contact with me. I will advise, there also needs to be a balance, don't abuse this, be reasonable, be courteous, and respect this busy time. At the end of the day, I convey to my PD these needs and he makes the decision.

Hi @gms4hi and @Frederica, I was wondering if you had any advice for my situation: I've emailed a couple programs now with emails of interest, and have not heard anything back from a single one. I've only emailed programs that I am truly interested in, and that interview and match applicants with stats similar to mine. I'm very fortunate in that I have 13 interviews with a number of great programs, but I am trying to match geographically close to my significant other, who is already in residency. Hence, why I've emailed those couple programs that I'm interested in and that also happen to be geographically close to my significant other. Just wondering what your thoughts are, since I keep hearing of people who send emails of interest and at least get some sort of reply acknowledging that they've received it. I'd appreciate any advice you may have.

Thanks "22031 Alum"! I appreciate your response. If I were to be brutally honest, my biggest red flag is my YOG graduation 2008 and lot of programs may filter on that. I got decent scores Step 1: 227, Step 2: 226, CS: Passed ..all in first attempt. 6 months of USCE.

That's why I'm trying to do whatever I can to show that I'm not complacent and doing my best at least post-application to show initiative.

Hi @gms4hi and @Frederica, I was wondering if you had any advice for my situation: I've emailed a couple programs now with emails of interest, and have not heard anything back from a single one. I've only emailed programs that I am truly interested in, and that interview and match applicants with stats similar to mine. I'm very fortunate in that I have 13 interviews with a number of great programs, but I am trying to match geographically close to my significant other, who is already in residency. Hence, why I've emailed those couple programs that I'm interested in and that also happen to be geographically close to my significant other. Just wondering what your thoughts are, since I keep hearing of people who send emails of interest and at least get some sort of reply acknowledging that they've received it. I'd appreciate any advice you may have.

Did you tell the programs you emailed that your SO is in the area geographically? Perhaps your SO's PD can email the PD in your specialty. We emailed PDs of programs who had a candidate that was a couples match and we selected our half of the couple. This is pretty standard practice, at least my institution in my field.

My question is about IMG's who attend DO schools. I know that NYCOM has a program for this. I've contacted other DO schools who have told me that they would be willing to accept an IMG. My question is, will these candidates be considered AMGs or IMG's? Will the fact that they have both an MD and a DO hurt them in the match?

I discovered mid October that I had not released my photo when I submitted ERAS. Could this explain why I have received fewer invites and invites from lower tier programs that I had expected? Would my application have appeared "incomplete" until I released my photo in mid October?

Thanks

My question is about IMG's who attend DO schools. I know that NYCOM has a program for this. I've contacted other DO schools who have told me that they would be willing to accept an IMG. My question is, will these candidates be considered AMGs or IMG's? Will the fact that they have both an MD and a DO hurt them in the match?

NYCOM is the only DO school that I know of who has a "reentry" program for IMG's -- i.e. you've already graduated from medical school, and go back to medical school again to get a new degree. As far as the ERAS filters are considered, you're an AMG/Osteopathic physician. Whether programs will see your past as a strength or weakness is anyone's guess.

I discovered mid October that I had not released my photo when I submitted ERAS. Could this explain why I have received fewer invites and invites from lower tier programs that I had expected? Would my application have appeared "incomplete" until I released my photo in mid October?

I doubt any program cares about your photo to make interview decisions. But it's possible.

I would love PD's perspective on receiving a well written email of interest from an applicant which is CCed to PC. What are the mechanics involved in the process? Does he (PD) pay attention to application and decide independently and ask PC to send IV invite to the candidate?

How much discretion does PC have in inviting someone for an interview? Can PC decide on her own without consulting PD?

Does it make sense to send a follow up email, this time short and sweet saying to PC if any IV slot available, I will be glad to come in on short notice.

I have already sent email to PD cc PC couple weeks ago, I thought follow up at this point would not be considered annoying or too soon.

Thanks for your time and perspective!

Last edited:
I would love PD's perspective on receiving a well written email of interest from an applicant which is CCed to PC. What are the mechanics involved in the process? Does he (PD) pay attention to application and decide independently and ask PC to send IV invite to the candidate?

How much discretion does PC have in inviting someone for an interview? Can PC decide on her own without consulting PD?

Does it make sense to send a follow up email, this time short and sweet saying to PC if any IV slot available, I will be glad to come in on short notice.

I have already sent email to PD cc PC couple weeks ago, I thought follow up at this point would not be considered annoying or too soon.

Thanks for your time and perspective!

I do not know of any program where the program coordinator makes the decision to interview independently of the program director. Maybe in a very specific setting where applicants meet a set of specific criteria-- but those were likely chosen by the program director.[/QUOTE]

I have called few PCs and they were kind and said they will note down the AAMC id in a list they had of candidates presumably who called in to show interest. The other PC said she will pass on to PD so he can review the application! Will see what happens ..

I do not know of any program where the program coordinator makes the decision to interview independently of the program director. Maybe in a very specific setting where applicants meet a set of specific criteria-- but those were likely chosen by the program director.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed. You already emailed the PD once. They got the point. Contact them again and you risk appearing annoying and desperate. Best advice if nothing comes about in the next few weeks would be to have someone with some type of connection to the program or who knows the PD make a call for you. You've done everything you can at this point.

question guys/aProgramdirector

I'm a R1 rads resident hoping to switch to anesthesia for next year; I want to reapply through ERAS. Do I need to contact my med school for another token number? If not, how do I proceed with my ERAS app?

thanks

question guys/aProgramdirector

I'm a R1 rads resident hoping to switch to anesthesia for next year; I want to reapply through ERAS. Do I need to contact my med school for another token number? If not, how do I proceed with my ERAS app?

thanks
You wait for next year. Now is a good time to add a few extra programs, not to start a whole new app. You're at least 2 months too late for that.

have a senior faculty advisor or alumnus from that residency program email or call the PD on your behalf. pick 1 or 2 programs.

You wait for next year. Now is a good time to add a few extra programs, not to start a whole new app. You're at least 2 months too late for that.

Thats probabaly the worse news; what can i do to switch specialities? I didnt make up my mind on switching until recently into my pgy2 yr. I have everything ready including my prior eras app. I dont want to wait another year and be a pgy3 before switching. Also, anyway I can participate in SOAP without ERAs?

Is it not possible to apply through ERAs now or is it just not ideal and will most likely be a waste of money?

Thats probabaly the worse news; what can i do to switch specialities? I didnt make up my mind on switching until recently into my pgy2 yr. I have everything ready including my prior eras app. I dont want to wait another year and be a pgy3 before switching. Also, anyway I can participate in SOAP without ERAs?

Is it not possible to apply through ERAs now or is it just not ideal and will most likely be a waste of money?
Mostly just a waste of money. But since you have to register with ERAS to SOAP, you might as well apply to 10 programs and see what happens. Also, you should apply to programs that are labeled "R" (I think) which are advanced programs that will start in July.

Do programs "tier" applicants the same way applicants do with programs? Meaning do programs have their "reach" and "safety applicants"? I've heard of classmates getting interviews at top 5 programs but rejected from middle of the road places. Additionally, I've heard of "weaker applicants" (on paper, based on grades and scores) being interviewed at programs where classmates who are "stronger applicants" are not invited when in all other aspects the two applicants are identical.

Do programs "tier" applicants the same way applicants do with programs? Meaning do programs have their "reach" and "safety applicants"? I've heard of classmates getting interviews at top 5 programs but rejected from middle of the road places. Additionally, I've heard of "weaker applicants" (on paper, based on grades and scores) being interviewed at programs where classmates who are "stronger applicants" are not invited when in all other aspects the two applicants are identical.

Programs have very idiosyncratic methods of selecting their applicants. We have limited resources to interview (as you do) and thus, must consider both "likely to match" and "best possible candidates". Medical school of origin is extremely important as although you may be the *first* person to match us from your medical school, it's unlikely. The reality is that you do not know your friends' applications as we do and thus their apparent non-invite may make no sense to you (or them) and is likely perfectly logical for the program.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm curious to know if we are being "judged"/evaluated the entire interview day, or just during the actual interviews? I know it varies, but do most programs evaluate candidates on their interactions throughout the entire interview day?

I'm curious to know if we are being "judged"/evaluated the entire interview day, or just during the actual interviews? I know it varies, but do most programs evaluate candidates on their interactions throughout the entire interview day?

Consider yourself on an interview the whole time there...

Reactions: 3 users

I haven't interviewed for residency yet but I think it's a given for every job that you should always pretend that you are on a interview when you interact with them.

My program lets anyone who interacts with you during the course of the day leave comments that are taken into consideration for ranking. Most of the time, the comments are something like "so and so seemed interested" (i.e. generic) or "I know them from XYZ and can put in a good word" but "so and so was loud and abnoxious at lunch", "so and so was rude to the PC", and "so and so tried to pick me up" have also been heard.

The general feeling is if they can't keep it together for an interview day...

So here's the situation I wanted to ask about:

Match is going pretty well for me, I am not worried about being unmatched or anything like that. But there is one particular dream program (OHSU) that is my ideal due to the specific and fairly unique training opportunities available, the location, and the fact that most of my living family are in the area. By stats, I am competitive there and have gotten iv's at ostensibly fancier places. But this one is my white whale.

I got a chance to meet with the PD in June for like an hour to discuss the program. Meeting seemed to go very well, PD said he hoped to see me again in a few months. Great, right? Come ERAS time, dead silence. Called the PC about a month ago to ask about app status, told all dates were filled and they couldn't comment. I mention my meeting with the PD and re-iterate my interest, PC says that doesn't sound right and she will run it by the PD, maybe get me on a waiting list.

A month later, still haven't heard anything from this program. Emailed the PD to reiterate that our prior interview convinced me this was my ideal program, expressed interest in a waitlist slot, etc. Still nothing.

If I interviewed there and didn't match, so it goes. I would be very disappointed but would deal. I am having a hard time with not even getting a shot, though.

Question is: would it be a terrible idea to call again a month later to check on status of app and reiterate my interest?

So here's the situation I wanted to ask about:

Match is going pretty well for me, I am not worried about being unmatched or anything like that. But there is one particular dream program (OHSU) that is my ideal due to the specific and fairly unique training opportunities available, the location, and the fact that most of my living family are in the area. By stats, I am competitive there and have gotten iv's at ostensibly fancier places. But this one is my white whale.

I got a chance to meet with the PD in June for like an hour to discuss the program. Meeting seemed to go very well, PD said he hoped to see me again in a few months. Great, right? Come ERAS time, dead silence. Called the PC about a month ago to ask about app status, told all dates were filled and they couldn't comment. I mention my meeting with the PD and re-iterate my interest, PC says that doesn't sound right and she will run it by the PD, maybe get me on a waiting list.

A month later, still haven't heard anything from this program. Emailed the PD to reiterate that our prior interview convinced me this was my ideal program, expressed interest in a waitlist slot, etc. Still nothing.

If I interviewed there and didn't match, so it goes. I would be very disappointed but would deal. I am having a hard time with not even getting a shot, though.

Question is: would it be a terrible idea to call again a month later to check on status of app and reiterate my interest?

Let it go.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Will it affect my chances of matching at a program if I can't attend their social?

I currently have 2 wait list interviews to programs that I'm really interested in. I was wondering if I should follow up with them to see if anything has opened up or should I just kick back and wait? I just don't want to come off as annoying to the program coordinators. Thanks.

I currently have 2 wait list interviews to programs that I'm really interested in. I was wondering if I should follow up with them to see if anything has opened up or should I just kick back and wait? I just don't want to come off as annoying to the program coordinators. Thanks.

I don't mind when people on the wait list contact me to check on their status. It reaffirms interest.

In general, no.
Seems like I'm hearing that it won't affect you if you don't attend the social / dinner
But
I'm also hearing that programs think its important to see how you get along with other residents. So you should treat the social/dinner like its also part of the interview and that residents can provide feed back on the applicants to the PD/PC.

Wanted see if I can get more clarity into this. Thanks

Seems like I'm hearing that it won't affect you if you don't attend the social / dinner
But
I'm also hearing that programs think its important to see how you get along with other residents. So you should treat the social/dinner like its also part of the interview and that residents can provide feed back on the applicants to the PD/PC.

Yes, we provide feedback based on dinner. We also provide feedback about breakfast, downtime between interviews, tours, and lunch. The only time not attending dinner has reflected poorly on someone at my program is if we knew they were already here (students from our home school who are on rotation with us). True, you miss that opportunity for feedback, but I honestly don't remember all the candidate I meet at the dinner unless they stand out in some way.

But

I think what people mean by part of the interview is really that the whole time you are with the program, you are interviewing. Even if you aren't sitting down with an attending having a one on one meeting.

If you get drunk or act like a jerk, you betcha that will get back to the PD and/or PC.

Programs know you are traveling a lot and getting to the night before socials isn't always possible.

Question, I recently received an invite to a program. My significant other (couples match) is currently on the wait list for an interview in a different program but same school. Would it be appropriate to contact my program and see if there is anything they can do? Or should my sig other just re-contact (it has been a few weeks) and see her status on the waitlist and re-iterate that I have an interview. We both are very interested in this school.

PCs, when you receive an e-mail from a student asking about their status/getting into an upcoming interview date, what do you like to see? I want to make it long enough that the recipients don't just think I'm spamming every program, but not so long that it's annoying to read. What's the sweet spot for length and general content (particular interest in program, previously unidentified geographic links, whatever), if any, you want to know about?

Question, I recently received an invite to a program. My significant other (couples match) is currently on the wait list for an interview in a different program but same school. Would it be appropriate to contact my program and see if there is anything they can do? Or should my sig other just re-contact (it has been a few weeks) and see her status on the waitlist and re-iterate that I have an interview. We both are very interested in this school.

latest

A simple email from your SO stating that they'll be in the area due to your interview wouldn't hurt. As well, a message to your program about your SO can't hurt either. Both may help.

Yes, we provide feedback based on dinner. We also provide feedback about breakfast, downtime between interviews, tours, and lunch. The only time not attending dinner has reflected poorly on someone at my program is if we knew they were already here (students from our home school who are on rotation with us). True, you miss that opportunity for feedback, but I honestly don't remember all the candidate I meet at the dinner unless they stand out in some way.

When is the residents feedback taken into consideration? Is it generally used only when something stands out negatively?

Is it common to have a resident provided positive feedback on an applicant and it made a difference in deciding where to rank that applicant? If so, any examples?

Do most resident's provide feedback sort of in the middle. like that "applicant seemed pretty normal in the brief conversation and what i saw of them"