Ask your random questions about AADSAS here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellofuturedentists

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have a question that probably doesn't need its own thread but you still want someone to answer it, ask it here! I'm sure many SDN folk will be happy to answer, and this way people will be able to see previous questions without searching through lots of old threads.
Questions can be super specific and there is no such thing as a dumb question here! Ask whatever you want, especially if it will calm your nerves about this cycle.
Have fun :writer:

P.S. Here's another informative thread for guidance! http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...7-application-cycle-and-the-universe.1197114/

P.P.S And another http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/aadsas-faq-compilation.1020426/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you make a school list for me?

Reactions: 1 user
I have a question. Why are people so hopeful to get accepted to Touro when their class is full and they already have a wait list?
Wouldn't it be a good idea to start preparing for the next cycle that opens up in a few weeks?

I mean it makes sense to me but maybe i'm wrong.
Thoughts?

I have a question. Why are people so hopeful to get accepted to Touro when their class is full and they already have a wait list?
Wouldn't it be a good idea to start preparing for the next cycle that opens up in a few weeks?

Thoughts?
Because an application cycle brings out the desperation in people.

Reactions: 1 users
No. You have to do it. Because if adcoms find out you didnt make your own school list, they'll reject you. It's a serious matter.

YOU CAN DO IT. I BELIEVE IN YOU!

Thoughts?
Oh good. The thread is devolving already lol :dead:
I'd guess it's so they don't have to go through an entire new cycle again

I guess I'll bite. I am on track to be in the first batch. What can I do now to prepare myself for June 1st?

I've already got all of my letters written on BYU's letter tracker, plus a 5th letter that I will get directly on the aadsas. I've written a rough draft personal statement that I will finish after Thursday (when I take the DAT). I have my grade transcripts ready to be transcribed over. I will also think of any and all EC activities and all of my shadowing, and have it ready to be officially put in the aadsas.

So I guess more specific questions, is it pretty straightforward to transcribe your grades into the AADSAS system? I know you send them a copy of the official transcript (planning on walking over on day 1 so my school can send it in) so they verify it.

Also, since I'm taking my DAT on the 19th, and the cycle opens on the first, will my official DAT scores be uploaded by that point? If they aren't, and I'm done with everything else, should I submit the application before the DAT is officially in there or should I wait?

Thanks for the thread! I'm sure I'll have more questions on the 1st.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I'll bite. I am on track to be in the first batch. What can I do now to prepare myself for June 1st?

I've already got all of my letters written on BYU's letter tracker, plus a 5th letter that I will get directly on the aadsas. I've written a rough draft personal statement that I will finish after Thursday (when I take the DAT). I have my grade transcripts ready to be transcribed over. I will also think of any and all EC activities and all of my shadowing, and have it ready to be officially put in the aadsas.

So I guess more specific questions, is it pretty straightforward to transcribe your grades into the AADSAS system? I know you send them a copy of the official transcript (planning on walking over on day 1 so my school can send it in) so they verify it.

Also, since I'm taking my DAT on the 19th, and the cycle opens on the first, will my official DAT scores be uploaded by that point? If they aren't, and I'm done with everything else, should I submit the application before the DAT is officially in there or should I wait?

Thanks for the thread! I'm sure I'll have more questions on the 1st.
Yes, transcribing your grades into AADSAS is very straightforward. Just make sure you sort everything correctly into categories (chemistry, bio, non-science, english, etc) and type everything exactly as it's written on your transcript. If AADSAS is nice, they'll fix tiny mistakes. Otherwise, they send it back and it doesn't get verified. However, if that happens, you fix it, return it, and they verify it ASAP (you don't get sent to the back of the line, thank goodness). Sorry if that was TMI lol

I think you put your Dentpin number into AADSAS and it finds your score. If you're taking it in 2 days, that should be plenty of time to have it in before your GPA is verified and your application is sent to schools

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks! I'm getting excited to take my test. Tired of studying.

Haha, thanks! I've actually wondered what the heck yours is from. Totally looks like Ganondorf with that orange hair/crown, but I've played every recent console Zelda game and yeah, I don't recognize the sequence.

Haha, thanks! I've actually wondered what the heck yours is from. Totally looks like Ganondorf with that orange hair/crown, but I've played every recent console Zelda game and yeah, I don't recognize the sequence.
Yeah this is a scene from Hyrule warriors.;)

OH DANG. I bought that game and played..up until Midna joins I think, not very far in. Guess I'll have to play it once I'm done with the DAT.

My bad! I didn't see your question before. You're going to want to choose the newest schools and then work backwards from there. Old is boring. Shiny and new is best. Hope that helps!

I might just be repeating Rand's question but I am in a similar situation. I have my P.S., transcript request, grades, DAT scores, etc. ready to go for June 1st. I just wanted to make sure there is no way of accessing the application (or last years application) before June 1st to familiarize myself with it?

Also, I have heard and read a little bit about the "resume/experience" section but I am still confused about it. Is it literally a list of your experiences, EC, honors, etc. or do you have a chance to explain them? If you can go into more detail, how many words are you allowed?

I might just be repeating Rand's question but I am in a similar situation. I have my P.S., transcript request, grades, DAT scores, etc. ready to go for June 1st. I just wanted to make sure there is no way of accessing the application (or last years application) before June 1st to familiarize myself with it?

Also, I have heard and read a little bit about the "resume/experience" section but I am still confused about it. Is it literally a list of your experiences, EC, honors, etc. or do you have a chance to explain them? If you can go into more detail, how many words are you allowed?
1. No
2. You get to write down a few words (basically 1 sentence) about your role/responsibilities

1. No
2. You get to write down a few words (basically 1 sentence) about your role/responsibilities

Great, thank you. I know a lot of people are concerned about getting there applications in ASAP (within the first few days). In your opinion, do you really think it makes a difference if you submit on say June 4th compared to say June 14th?

Great, thank you. I know a lot of people are concerned about getting there applications in ASAP (within the first few days). In your opinion, do you really think it makes a difference if you submit on say June 4th compared to say June 14th?
Not in the slightest.

Reactions: 3 users
0% difference

Reactions: 2 users

Thoughts?

My question is why not? People are more likely to drop out of Touro than any other school, so it makes perfect sense to bank on them than any other school at this point.

People are gonna hate this question but I have to ask:) When is the deadline for first batch? Also, is there a way to get your LOR request from AADSAS earlier or any other tips for getting LORs in on time. Im just worried about professors taking too long

People are gonna hate this question but I have to ask:) When is the deadline for first batch? Also, is there a way to get your LOR request from AADSAS earlier or any other tips for getting LORs in on time. Im just worried about professors taking too long
There is no deadline for first batch. It varies by year and how many apps AADSAS can get through. Secondly there is no way to get your LOR request early from AADSAS. You can do it on June 1st when it opens up you put in the professors information and then it's up to them from there. You can use interfolio to get your LOR now and then when AADSAS opens up it will upload through them (not sure how it works I didn't use it). Lastly make sure you've crossed all your t's and dotted those i's because generally once you submit you can't make corrections. Focus more on perfecting you application rather than getting it in first batch.

Just talk to your professors now, have them write it, and let them know an email will be in their inbox on June 1st. I used BYU's free letter thing (like interfolio) for my first four, and then asked my 5th letter writer to write it and be prepared to submit it within a few days of June 1st. It should work out well!

Just talk to your professors now, have them write it, and let them know an email will be in their inbox on June 1st. I used BYU's free letter thing (like interfolio) for my first four, and then asked my 5th letter writer to write it and be prepared to submit it within a few days of June 1st. It should work out well!
Five letters seems like a lot who did you all have write letters?

If an applicant wanted could you apply to a few schools early in the cycle and then add schools later on? Curious if someone who is confident could apply to say 5 schools and if they didnt get any pre-december interviews add schools later

If an applicant wanted could you apply to a few schools early in the cycle and then add schools later on? Curious if someone who is confident could apply to say 5 schools and if they didnt get any pre-december interviews add schools later
Yes, but I would highly advise against that due to rolling admissions.

Yes, you could. I would add more schools by September at the latest though.

If you have a mission trip in which half of it was health related (clinic) and half was not (teaching english and other things), should you split it into 2 different things for community service? Like have teaching english at the same mission trip in the nonhealthcare community service activity and volunteering at the clinic there in the healthcare activity section of the app?

If you have a mission trip in which half of it was health related (clinic) and half was not (teaching english and other things), should you split it into 2 different things for community service? Like have teaching english at the same mission trip in the nonhealthcare community service activity and volunteering at the clinic there in the healthcare activity section of the app?
I wouldn't as you don't want to make it look like you're artificially padding your app. Just put everything you did in the description. That's what I did at least. Probably can't go wrong doing it either way though.

I have a few questions as a freshman here..
First - Do admissions look at A+ differently than A flats? I got an A+ in calc bio and gen chem my first semester and I feel like it could possibly make it seem like my school has a grade inflation issue. Could it hurt me?
Second - How much does my undergrad matter? I know a lot of people say its the applicant not the school, but really, a 3.7 from harvard holds more weight than a 3.7 from a state school like myself.
Third - What is interfolio? I have an anxiety that my future professors writing my LORs are going to be late to submit my letters and will screw me over
Fourth - I have a large amount of OMFS shadowing hours at this point (at least 300), and I feel like it is frowned upon.. I feel like everybody views OMFS as a jerk specialty and a place where you shouldnt invest your shadowing hours. I'm obviously going to get GPR hours but I have just really gotten myself into this field of shadowing. And a side question here, do hours shadowing orthognathic surgeries in the hospital hold more weight than watching thirds being plunked? Is there a section to describe my shadowing hours or does it just essentially say "Put hours here ______"
Sorry if some of these are long questions or hard to answer, thanks!!

First - Do admissions look at A+ differently than A flats? I got an A+ in calc bio and gen chem my first semester and I feel like it could possibly make it seem like my school has a grade inflation issue. Could it hurt me?
Second - How much does my undergrad matter? I know a lot of people say its the applicant not the school, but really, a 3.7 from harvard holds more weight than a 3.7 from a state school like myself.
Third - What is interfolio? I have an anxiety that my future professors writing my LORs are going to be late to submit my letters and will screw me over
Fourth - I have a large amount of OMFS shadowing hours at this point (at least 300), and I feel like it is frowned upon.. I feel like everybody views OMFS as a jerk specialty and a place where you shouldnt invest your shadowing hours. I'm obviously going to get GPR hours but I have just really gotten myself into this field of shadowing. And a side question here, do hours shadowing orthognathic surgeries in the hospital hold more weight than watching thirds being plunked? Is there a section to describe my shadowing hours or does it just essentially say "Put hours here ______"
Sorry if some of these are long questions or hard to answer, thanks!!
1. A+ is given more weight in AADSAS (4.3 maybe? I can't remember) so your GPA will be higher. Getting an A+ in calc, bio, and gen chem first semester won't look like your school has a grade inflation issue. Maybe if you go through 3 years of only getting A+ is everything, it will, but that's pretty unlikely.
2. It doesn't matter. State schools are reputable and the DAT will equalize you.
3. It stores letters of rec. Don't worry about that yet if you're just a freshman.
4. It's not a "jerk specialty" but it looks like you're already pigeonholing yourself into OMFS if all your shadowing is from there. You have no idea what you will realistically be doing 7 years down the line when you graduate. When you apply to dental school, you're applying to be a general dentist. You worry about specialties later. Shadow a general dentist. It does not matter where you shadow as long as it's a licensed dentist. If you see cooler stuff, you might have more to talk about in a PS or interview, but there's not really room on AADSAS to mention it.

Freshman year and already focused on OMFS? Good work! Maximize that GPA and DAT and you're going to kill it in the application cycle a few years from now.

Five letters seems like a lot who did you all have write letters?
2 from science professors (physiology and virology), 1 from my most shadowed dentist, 1 from my former boss (I was a gen chem TA), and 1 from my microbiology counselor.

I want to submit my AADSAS as soon as possible, but I don't think my writers will be able to have my letters ready by the 1st. I heard I can submit my apps first and update with letters though; anybody with insight on how to do that?

:)
1. A+ is given more weight in AADSAS (4.3 maybe? I can't remember) so your GPA will be higher. Getting an A+ in calc, bio, and gen chem first semester won't look like your school has a grade inflation issue. Maybe if you go through 3 years of only getting A+ is everything, it will, but that's pretty unlikely.
2. It doesn't matter. State schools are reputable and the DAT will equalize you.
3. It stores letters of rec. Don't worry about that yet if you're just a freshman.
4. It's not a "jerk specialty" but it looks like you're already pigeonholing yourself into OMFS if all your shadowing is from there. You have no idea what you will realistically be doing 7 years down the line when you graduate. When you apply to dental school, you're applying to be a general dentist. You worry about specialties later. Shadow a general dentist. It does not matter where you shadow as long as it's a licensed dentist. If you see cooler stuff, you might have more to talk about in a PS or interview, but there's not really room on AADSAS to mention it.

Thank you for the clarification! I understand completely that I should be getting GPR hours and that's what I'll be doing. I've branched out to several other specialties like pediatrics and prosth. but haven't gotten around to it for some unexplainable reason (I'm only a freshman so I have a million years and already have a dentist in mind to ask). I've worked at an OMFS office since my freshman year of highschool and have gradually began to have more tasks involved with patient care and have gotten more hours under my belt (I know that I can only use hours from my college years when filing out the app). I understand also that I will be going to dental school to originally become a GP, and I know that my interests will change as I gain more exposure to the fields. I just personally think that watching facial trauma surgeries is a little funner than watching crowns being slapped on. Will it really hurt me if, by the time of my application cycle, I am lopsided in hours in favor to OMFS? Thank you again for the clarification and I will take your words into consideration when shaping myself up for dental school! :)

Freshman year and already focused on OMFS? Good work! Maximize that GPA and DAT and you're going to kill it in the application cycle a few years from now.

Thank you again, please chime in to above if you feel necessary! Did you view my 'focus' on OMFS as a bad thing? I love watching in on posts about all you upperclassmen:laugh:

if that's the case, why not just go med school route. Doesn't this save some time?