Ask your random questions about AADSAS here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not positive but I don't believe that there is a way to become an oral surgeon without dental school

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
You're correct. We can go to medical and dental school if we choose (through omfs residency), but medical students can't.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Should I put my work experience down, even though it was from high school era?
Again, not positive, but I think you are essentially given a clean slate upon your freshman year. You can discuss it in your personal statement but can't put it down for hours on the app.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not positive but I don't believe that there is a way to become an oral surgeon without dental school

if you go to med school, then you could pick oral surgery after 4 years of surgical residency I believe.
I am not 100% sure that it saves time, but a lot of people go md route.

if you go to med school, then you could pick oral surgery after 4 years of surgical residency I believe.

You can get a MD while in your residency, however, omfs is a dentistry based residency and I believe you MUST have 4 years of dental education for it

:)

Thank you for the clarification! I understand completely that I should be getting GPR hours and that's what I'll be doing. I've branched out to several other specialties like pediatrics and prosth. but haven't gotten around to it for some unexplainable reason (I'm only a freshman so I have a million years and already have a dentist in mind to ask). I've worked at an OMFS office since my freshman year of highschool and have gradually began to have more tasks involved with patient care and have gotten more hours under my belt (I know that I can only use hours from my college years when filing out the app). I understand also that I will be going to dental school to originally become a GP, and I know that my interests will change as I gain more exposure to the fields. I just personally think that watching facial trauma surgeries is a little funner than watching crowns being slapped on. Will it really hurt me if, by the time of my application cycle, I am lopsided in hours in favor to OMFS? Thank you again for the clarification and I will take your words into consideration when shaping myself up for dental school! :)
It won't hurt you if you have lots of OMFS related hours, but if your entire application ends up revolving around OMFS and when schools ask you "why dentistry?" that's what you talk about, it might leave a sour taste. It's fine if that's your interest, but a very small number of people match to OMFS and there will be many, many things to consider when the time comes (cost, more years of schooling, will you even match, etc). It's great to think about the future, but trying to plan too many years in advance might set you up for disappointment. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
You'd need to go through all 4 years of dental school in addition to getting the MD if you really wanted to do that. You need your hand skills that obviously aren't found in a medical school curriculum.

You'd need to go through all 4 years of dental school in addition to getting the MD if you really wanted to do that. You need your hand skills that obviously aren't found in a medical school curriculum.

IMO, OMFS is more of a surgical thing than dental procedures, so having gone through 4 years of general surgery residency would prepare the candidate better than if he had gone through 4 years of dental school. I work in a hospital O.R. and see OMFS surgeries all day and even a blind person can tell that it heavily leans towards "surgery" than dentistry. It's just the type of procedures that they do that if one had gone through surgical residency, he would have learned something that would really help him through OMFS residency. Just my 2 cents.

unless we are talking about just pulling teeth all day long, like some OMFS docs do in clinics.

did some research, looks like it is in fact 4 years of dental school after surgical residency. it actually doesn't save time.

med school route - 4 years of md school, 4 years of residency, 4 years of dental school, then 3~4 years of omfs. holy moly...that's 20 years of schooling if you count undergrad.

dental route - 4 years of d school, 5~6 years of OMFS? not sure if I missed anything.

IMO, OMFS is more of a surgical thing than dental procedures, so having gone through 4 years of general surgery residency would prepare the candidate better than if he had gone through 4 years of dental school. I work in a hospital O.R. and see OMFS surgeries all day and even a blind person can tell that it heavily leans towards "surgery" than dentistry. It's just the type of procedures that they do that if one had gone through surgical residency, he would have learned something that would really help him through OMFS residency. Just my 2 cents.

unless we are talking about just pulling teeth all day long, like some OMFS docs do in clinics.
Most omfs aren't doing orthognathic surgeries and facial reconstruction though. They pull thirds and do tons of implants, both of which require a sound foundation in dentistry. Like you said, then you have the hospital side, which is very different. Regardless, you can't pursue OMFS by attending medical school alone, and I think it's setup that way for a reason.

Most omfs aren't doing orthognathic surgeries and facial reconstruction though. They pull thirds and do tons of implants, both of which require a sound foundation in dentistry. Like you said, then you have the hospital side, which is very different. Regardless, you can't pursue OMFS by attending medical school alone, and I think it's setup that way for a reason.

I am just stunned by the sheer amount of time one needs to stay in school, especially when they go medical school route.
mind blown. Going to sleep now.

I am just stunned by the sheer amount of time one needs to stay in school, especially when they go medical school route.
mind blown. Going to sleep now.
That's why we made the right choice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Plenty of surgeons do OG cases. Surgeons I know can do anywhre form 5-10 per month. Of course its not anything compared to 15 minute 3rds surgeries but for big cases, thats quite a bit.

Five letters seems like a lot who did you all have write letters?
I had my anatomy professor, my biochem professor, and my boss. I only applied to three schools and none required a dentist so I didn't bother with that.

Pulled up the AADSAS web page, and they have a count down until the application opens... Yikes!

Good luck to all applicants this cycle! Here is a quick-link to the AADSAS information book, which will probably answer a lot of last minute questions people may have.

http://www.adea.org/uploadedFiles/G...ADEA_AADSAS/2017-ADEA-AADSAS-Instructions.pdf
LOL you're not even kidding
http://www.adea.org/GoDental/Application_Prep/The_Application_to_Dental_School__ADEA_AADSAS.aspx

Can we put links in our application? For example in manual dexterity portion, can I link to pictures of my artwork/portfolio?

Can we put links in our application? For example in manual dexterity portion, can I link to pictures of my artwork/portfolio?
I guess you technically could, but from my understanding, the application is basically made into a PDF and that's how schools access it. I wouldn't add a link, though. You can show your artwork in interviews if you want

Is it true that starting this application cycle we wouldn't be able to use Interfolio to transfer our LORs to AADSAS? Apparently starting this year they are going to directly email the professor you put down under the LOR section and they will have to manually reply back to that AADSAS email with the LOR attached?

Is this true?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

How would we know? Call the ADEA and ask.

Is it true that starting this application cycle we wouldn't be able to use Interfolio to transfer our LORs to AADSAS? Apparently starting this year they are going to directly email the professor you put down under the LOR section and they will have to manually reply back to that AADSAS email with the LOR attached?

Is this true?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Not sure. I would wait until AADSAS opens and see what the instructions say on the LoR section. I never used interfolio, but I had a recommender upload a letter directly through AADSAS. I believe they emailed her when I put in the email and she didn't have any problem uploading the letter

Hey there! Wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me... Submitted my tax stuff electronically and apparently have to wait until late-May to get my tax return transcript...
I forgot what the FAP process was like last year... but do we have to wait for FAP approval first before we can submit the application? I don't want to have it delayed just because I have to wait for my tax returns to come in o)-<

Oh yes, I have a good question I forgot about.

How does aasdas determine residency? Do you just put in an address and that's it?

I ask because I've lived in Utah for 4 years, but am still technically a resident of California. If I submit as a Californian to a place like the U, do they just consider me as a Californian? And if I got in, it would be up to me to prove my residency of Utah in order to get in state tuition?

How does aasdas determine residency? Do you just put in an address and that's it?

I ask because I've lived in Utah for 4 years, but am still technically a resident of California. If I submit as a Californian to a place like the U, do they just consider me as a Californian? And if I got in, it would be up to me to prove my residency of Utah in order to get in state tuition?

This is how I think it works. You send documents to your school you are attending before matriculation to prove your residency. AADSAS may have nothing to do with it? just my guess

On the application, there is a place for a permanent address (like your parents house if you're a traditional college student) and a place for a mailing address. They go by the permanent address. If you put your California address, which you probably should, you'll be applying as a Californian.
As for specific schools, it will be up to you to prove your residency of Utah later. Depends on how strict the state is for allowing you to be considered in-state. If your 4 Utah years were college, you will probably have to get a license, voter registration, etc, to start proving your residency. I'm not a Utah expert. You'll cross that bridge when you get there lol

Hey, I'm wondering how I would upload five letters of recommendation? I thought the limit was 4 but different schools need different letters. I plan on getting one from my bio prof, chem prof, physics prof, the dentist I shadowed and the prof that I am doing research under.

So let me get this straight then.

In terms of being in/out of state for APPLICATION purposes that's determined by my permanent address as supplied on my AADSAS application.

In terms of in/out of state for TUITION purposes that's just between you and the school and is probably determined when you're accepted and stuff.

Hey there! Wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me... Submitted my tax stuff electronically and apparently have to wait until late-May to get my tax return transcript...
I forgot what the FAP process was like last year... but do we have to wait for FAP approval first before we can submit the application? I don't want to have it delayed just because I have to wait for my tax returns to come in o)-<

I'm applying this cycle so I haven't been through the process before; however, I've been reading the application instructions and I was also interested in applying for FAP. To my understanding, yes, you must wait for FAP approval before you're allowed to submit the application. First you apply for the program electronically, then you send your hard copy documents (yours, and/or spouse's, parents' 2015 W-2's, 1040s, etc.) within 10 business days to the FAP address including the cover sheet, and then you must wait for approval via your e-mail address. Once you've gained approval, you're allowed to apply for AADSAS in which you also have only 10 business days to complete as well and must select 3 schools. If you apply for AADSAS before approval, you will be ineligible to receive any funds. Make sure you apply for this ASAP as the funds are allocated to each recipient on a first-come, first-serve basis. Hope this answers your question! You should definitely check out the ADEA guidelines on their website for a more extensive overview.

So let me get this straight then.

In terms of being in/out of state for APPLICATION purposes that's determined by my permanent address as supplied on my AADSAS application.

In terms of in/out of state for TUITION purposes that's just between you and the school and is probably determined when you're accepted and stuff.
Yes. That's how I've finally come to understand it, as I figure out my tuition bill for next year lol

Awesome. I'll contact the U today and see what they have to say. I'd love to be considered in-state for both UCLA and their school, haha. Don't think it'll happen though!

Hi all,

I'm doing a MBS program currently and am wondering about GPA calculations. In my program, there is no A-, meaning the second highest grade is a B+. In the program's calculation, a B+ is equal to 3.5 grade points. Will AADSAS still calculate B+'s as 3.33s?

Thanks for the answer to my previous question n_n

Also! Does anyone know if there's anything special that reapplicants have to fill out or include? I was trying to see if there's an extra "how did you improve your app" short answer portion or something but I can't find anything on it..

Thanks for the answer to my previous question n_n

Also! Does anyone know if there's anything special that reapplicants have to fill out or include? I was trying to see if there's an extra "how did you improve your app" short answer portion or something but I can't find anything on it..
Pretty sure there is.

Cool, thanks! Would you happen to know if there's anything else besides that?
There's at least a check box to signify you're a re-applicant and I think I remember there being a space below it to explain things. That would most likely be it.

Awesome. I'll contact the U today and see what they have to say. I'd love to be considered in-state for both UCLA and their school, haha. Don't think it'll happen though!
Lol yeah you can't be in-state for more than one state

If we have a goal to eventually go into a certain specialty, should we let that be known in our app and interviews, or just focus our interests in general dentistry for the moment? I've heard some schools don't like to see you "jumping the gun".
Do not mention it. Dental school and specialties are two different programs.

So I had the same deal, went to undergrad at BYU but am a Texas resident. TMDSAS didn't count me as a resident until I explained I was only gone from Texas for undergrad. They called it a "temporary absence" or something to that effect and so i became classified as Texas res.

Long story short. You're still a California resident.

Anyone know when the supplementals for UPenn and Western will become available?

My university offers the option to send transcripts electronically. Should I opt for this instead of paper transcripts because it would be faster electronically?