Ask your random questions about AADSAS here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quick question: can transcripts and LOR's be sent to AADSAS well before the application itself is e-submitted? For example, can I request the transcripts and LOR's to be sent to AADSAS on June 1st and hold them there, but then submit the application around end of June? Or will AADSAS discard the transcripts/LOR's if I don't submit the application within a certain number of days after they've been received....? I know that the transcripts won't be verified without the submitted application, but just wanted to get those out of the way when possible.

Members don't see this ad.

What are appropriate things to list for "Academic Enrichment Programs"?

ADEA Virtual Fair? Honors College? Teaching Assistant?

I have never attended a simulation at a dental school, which seems like the big thing people are talking about with this section after scrolling through the thread.

This section just seems too ambiguous for my comfort.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are appropriate things to list for "Academic Enrichment Programs"?

ADEA Virtual Fair? Honors College? Teaching Assistant?

I have never attended a simulation at a dental school, which seems like the big thing people are talking about with this section after scrolling through the thread.

This section just seems too ambiguous for my comfort.
Mostly programs that dental schools offer to pre-dents, like you said. In addition to that, I also put down my EMT-B training courses. I would not include the ADEA virtual fair.

http://www.adea.org/dental_educatio...uctions/Pages/AcademicEnrichmentPrograms.aspx

I don't want to start a new thread about this, but does anyone know if MMBIO (micro and molecular biology for BYU) count towards biology semester hours for pre-reqs? I'm a micro major and have tons of MMBIO, but only 2 credit hours of PDBio and 0 credit hours of actual just BIO.

Mostly programs that dental schools offer to pre-dents, like you said. In addition to that, I also put down my EMT-B training courses. I would not include the ADEA virtual fair.

http://www.adea.org/dental_educatio...uctions/Pages/AcademicEnrichmentPrograms.aspx

JLT223, you always pull through for me and answer my questions... haha! Thanks for all of the help.

Also, I noticed that you are attending Penn in the Fall... if you aren't from the area, then welcome to PA! Let me know if you have questions about the city (I am from the greater Philadelphia region).

Reactions: 1 user
I don't want to start a new thread about this, but does anyone know if MMBIO (micro and molecular biology for BYU) count towards biology semester hours for pre-reqs? I'm a micro major and have tons of MMBIO, but only 2 credit hours of PDBio and 0 credit hours of actual just BIO.
I would assume if it has the word "biology" in it you can count it as a biology class. Worst case scenario, they tell you to reclassify it as an "other science" course and you're delayed like 1 day.

Wouldn't worst case scenario be individual schools don't count it as a bio pre-req at all and require me to take an extra 8 hours of BIO if I'm accepted?

That would be pretty ridiculous, haha.

Wouldn't worst case scenario be individual schools don't count it as a bio pre-req at all and require me to take an extra 8 hours of BIO if I'm accepted?

That would be pretty ridiculous, haha.
Oh you haven't taken introduction to biology at all? Did you AP out? With all the upper level molecular stuff you'd probably be ok but I wasn't in that situation so maybe someone else can help

I took PDBIO 120, which is the intro level for science majors. 2 credits. I tested out of Bio 101 or whatever it is, which is 3 credits.

For the box that asks you to describe manual dexterity activities you're proficient in, should you just put a list of names of activities? Full sentences? Bullet points?

For the box that asks you to describe manual dexterity activities you're proficient in, should you just put a list of names of activities? Full sentences? Bullet points?
Bullet point with description.

Instead of making another thread, I'm going to ask for your opinion here. Should I submit within the 1st week of June or wait until about the 3rd full week of June to submit because that is when the grades for this quarter will be official? The classes I'm taking now won't affect my sGPA much however I should be able to get 3.9-4.0 for both classes. Pretty much, should I submit right away or wait a few weeks and then submit for a slightly higher gpa, but probably not by much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Instead of making another thread, I'm going to ask for your opinion here. Should I submit within the 1st week of June or wait until about the 3rd full week of June to submit because that is when the grades for this quarter will be official? The classes I'm taking now won't affect my sGPA much however I should be able to get 3.9-4.0 for both classes. Pretty much, should I submit right away or wait a few weeks and then submit for a slightly higher gpa, but probably not by much.
Wait for grades.

I guess I'm just worried about submitting late. Those official grades won't be in until June 22nd, then takes 1 week for transcripts to get to AADSAS, then I submit and another 2+ weeks before everything is verified. I just wanted to be early as possible since I don't have strong enough stats to apply later and still be ok.

Note: I'm a reapplicant so hopefully my info and stuff from previous cycle is still there so the verification process won't take long since I've only taken 3 extra classes since then.

Last edited:
I know academic update isn't until November during the application process, but has anyone had experience in reaching out to your schools and sending them an official transcript directly to them to update them on summer classes? Not sure if I want to wait until August to include my summer classes.

I took PDBIO 120, which is the intro level for science majors. 2 credits. I tested out of Bio 101 or whatever it is, which is 3 credits.
I would assume you'll be ok. There isn't anything you can do about it now anyway lol

I guess I'm just worried about submitting late. Those official grades won't be in until June 22nd, then takes 1 week for transcripts to get to AADSAS, then I submit and another 2+ weeks before everything is verified. I just wanted to be early as possible since I don't have strong enough stats to apply later and still be ok.

Note: I'm a reapplicant so hopefully my info and stuff from previous cycle is still there so the verification process won't take long since I've only taken 3 extra classes since then.
I think I've seen here that stuff from previous cycles, like transcripts, are still in your AADSAS from the year before. I think @SableFire knows about that. I would say if your recent grades are 3.9-4.0 and will certainly help you, you should wait. Submitting in July is still plenty early. Your interviews might be not be extended in like September, but it shouldn't hurt you for Pre-Dec.

I was leaning towards waiting but I just didn't want to hurt my chances anywhere by having it complete in the middle of July instead of the end on June.

Watch at the 10 minute mark. If you don't wait for the grades you are doing yourself a huge disservice.

Reactions: 1 users
I would assume you'll be ok. There isn't anything you can do about it now anyway lol
Haha..that is true. I think it'll be fine. If they deny me their school because I didn't have 8 semester hours of normal biology when I took 30+ of advanced biology, then that's their problem I suppose!

I think I've seen here that stuff from previous cycles, like transcripts, are still in your AADSAS from the year before. I think @SableFire knows about that. I would say if your recent grades are 3.9-4.0 and will certainly help you, you should wait. Submitting in July is still plenty early. Your interviews might be not be extended in like September, but it shouldn't hurt you for Pre-Dec.
Correct I can't 100% remember but I do know that AADSAS still has your previous transcripts and stuff. Is there anyway you can ask for your final grades earlier @DC206R? Is your semester done yet? I wouldn't fret until submitting late June though I submitted late June and was verified in less than 2 weeks. And my letters of rec didn't come in until July 18ish. Also because you are a re-applicant your verification process should be quicker. I was seeing those that submitted before me still waiting last year when mine had already mailed. My guess is re-applicants get some priority in mailing (this is all a theory though so it may not be true).

Watch at the 10 minute mark. If you don't wait for the grades you are doing yourself a huge disservice.

Honestly this is the most helpful pre-dental video (along with the first panel). It answers so many questions and the awesome part is it is people that actually do it for a living and not just some random internet stranger.

I can directly ask the prof for my grade but it won't be in the official transcript until June 22nd. I guess I'm not going to worry about it. I'll have everything else ready to go by then. I guess it'll allow to include more hours for volunteering and work.

I can directly ask the prof for my grade but it won't be in the official transcript until June 22nd. I guess I'm not going to worry about it. I'll have everything else ready to go by then. I guess it'll allow to include more hours for volunteering and work.
You'll be golden either way! Good luck this cycle.

Honestly this is the most helpful pre-dental video (along with the first panel). It answers so many questions and the awesome part is it is people that actually do it for a living and not just some random internet stranger.
It really is. Props to you for finding it.

So uh, how do you make an account on AADSAS or do I have to wait till apps open June 1st?

I posted this in another thread butI figured this might be helpful since it is a common question.

So first of all, the elevator music while on hold with AADSAS is relaxing. I spoke with the representative and asked if I would count dental related work/volunteering as shadowing also and she said no. She said if you shadowed for 100 hours and worked as an assistant for 100 hours, then the would be in 2 separate categories and you DO NOT list that you had 200 hours of shadowing and 100 of work. Hope this if helpful for others.

I have a question about the professional experience section of the app. I hope I'm not screwed from what I just read. I'm freaking out.

http://www.adea.org/AADSASapp/Instructions/professional-experience.aspx

"You should record only experiences obtained during college and should only list each experience in one category. "

Pretty much of all my experiences besides a summer research and a summer business program I did during my college years has been post graduation (2013). I'm applying to Dental School now because I finished my DATs (23 AA) and have a solid amount of volunteer/community service and shadowing. ("gap year", figuring out what I wanted to do with my life)

I'm fine in still including everything I've done after college right? I'm scared all of a sudden.

Last edited:
I have a question about the professional experience section of the app. I hope I'm not screwed from what I just read. I'm freaking out.

http://www.adea.org/AADSASapp/Instructions/professional-experience.aspx

"You should record only experiences obtained during college and should only list each experience in one category. "

Pretty much of all my experiences besides a summer research and a summer business program I did during my college years has been post graduation (2013). I'm applying to Dental School now because I finished my DATs (23 AA) and have a solid amount of volunteer/community service and shadowing. ("gap year", figuring out what I wanted to do with my life)

I'm fine in still including everything I've done after college right? I'm scared all of a sudden.
Yes.

No you're fine
I appreciate you answering me so promptly.
Do you know why they say "only during college" when there a students like myself who take gap years to improve their application and won't be in college anymore?

Do you know why they say "only during college" when there a students like myself who take gap years to improve their application and won't be in college anymore?
Probably so people don't list what they did in high school. The wording could be a bit better IMO

They don't want to see people's babysitting jobs from when they were 13. Post-college stuff is totally fine.

When I copy & paste my personal statement into the application, will it retain its paragraphs and indentations?

Is it even possible to manipulate the word box to include indentations? I'm trying it for TMDSAS, but it keeps using up my characters without giving me the indentation I want.

Is it even possible to manipulate the word box to include indentations? I'm trying it for TMDSAS, but it keeps using up my characters without giving me the indentation I want.
No you can't indent at all

No. But no one else can indent either, so I'm sure schools are used to it by now lol

Awesome. I'll contact the U today and see what they have to say. I'd love to be considered in-state for both UCLA and their school, haha. Don't think it'll happen though!

University of Utah undergrad here- You shouldn't have any issues if you've been here for 4 years. BUT I have seen a lot of kids get denied residency because they left the state for more than 14(ish) days out of the year. In order to get residency, you have to have a Utah drivers licence, prove residence in the state of Utah (usually done with mail) and prove you spent something like 99% of the year in the state. I'm foggy on the numbers but the hard part is proving you haven't left. Here is our link on the subject: http://admissions.utah.edu/apply/residency/

Whats the character limit on describing activities/experiences?

For LORs, it says either 4 individual letters or one committee letter + one additional letter -- I'm going to be submitting individual letters through interfolio. Is 4 letters the requirement, as in if I submit 3, my app is not complete? I thought letters vary by school (some only require 3).

EDIT: Oh, I kept on reading the adea AADSAS page; I think it means 4 letters is the maximum you can upload individually because the actual number varies by school... right?

For LORs, it says either 4 individual letters or one committee letter + one additional letter -- I'm going to be submitting individual letters through interfolio. Is 4 letters the requirement, as in if I submit 3, my app is not complete? I thought letters vary by school (some only require 3).

EDIT: Oh, I kept on reading the adea AADSAS page; I think it means 4 letters is the maximum you can upload individually because the actual number varies by school... right?
4 letters maximum; you're right. Letter requirements do vary by school, so make sure you have all your bases covered if you only submit 3.

4 letters maximum; you're right. Letter requirements do vary by school, so make sure you have all your bases covered if you only submit 3.
If I use a committee letter, does that bypass the specific letter of recommendation guidelines for each school right? My committee letter requires 2-3 (max 3) letters for the process.

Also, how does the supplementary application process work?