Ask your random questions about AADSAS here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My advisor told me that I can E-submit my application while the professors can still send the letter of rec after, is that true?

Yes, you can e-submit first and then have your professors send their letters when they're done.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently studying abroad right now, and I have e-submitted my application, but my transcript and GPA from my home university have not been verified yet. Am I required to update my grades later this fall on AADSAS? Or do I have an option not to report any grades I obtained after e-submitting?

So my school decisions tab went from blank to having a list of my schools with (mostly) app complete/under review but two of my schools are not on the list...does that mean my app is incomplete with those schools? Or they maybe just haven't updated something on their end?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently studying abroad right now, and I have e-submitted my application, but my transcript and GPA from my home university have not been verified yet. Am I required to update my grades later this fall on AADSAS? Or do I have an option not to report any grades I obtained after e-submitting?
Academic update opens in November. If, after a certain point in December, you are not yet accepted, schools may ask for you to upload more transcripts for the academic update. This could definitely help you if your grades are good from this summer and fall semester. Eventually, you will have to give your completed transcript to wherever you're matriculating, though

So my school decisions tab went from blank to having a list of my schools with (mostly) app complete/under review but two of my schools are not on the list...does that mean my app is incomplete with those schools? Or they maybe just haven't updated something on their end?
They haven't updated on their end

Reactions: 1 user
Academic update opens in November. If, after a certain point in December, you are not yet accepted, schools may ask for you to upload more transcripts for the academic update. This could definitely help you if your grades are good from this summer and fall semester. Eventually, you will have to give your completed transcript to wherever you're matriculating, though
Is academic update optional? I'd like to apply with the GPA I have right now and I don't think my summer classes will help me.

Is academic update optional? I'd like to apply with the GPA I have right now and I don't think my summer classes will help me.
Yes. But if you don't get in somewhere in December, some schools where you may be waitlisted for an acceptance or interview may request that you do it. Don't let your grades slip too much

For Nova supplemental, do I really have to list all of the schools I applied to? I don't want them to think I am not interested in their schools just because I applied to 10 other schools.

For Nova supplemental, do I really have to list all of the schools I applied to? I don't want them to think I am not interested in their schools just because I applied to 10 other schools.
They ask for a reason

They won't think that. 10 is about the average number and I'm sure they know.

Do any of you all know what the "Decision Date" means under School Decisions section?
I have one school on there that lists its Decision Date as 7/15/2016, but the status of my application is received/under review, and there is no school decision posted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do any of you all know what the "Decision Date" means under School Decisions section?
I have one school on there that lists its Decision Date as 7/15/2016, but the status of my application is received/under review, and there is no school decision posted.
It's whatever date your status changed. So, your application became received/under review on July 15

Quick question,
Can I E-submit my application before all of my transcript arrived (I got one from foreign college that has not been arrived yet), others from US colleges have been arrived and ready to verified.

Quick question,
Can I E-submit my application before all of my transcript arrived (I got one from foreign college that has not been arrived yet), others from US colleges have been arrived and ready to verified.
Yes

How long after does your score post to AADSAS if it already has posted to the DentPin website?

Hey guys I know this has been asked around on FAQ's and on specific threads but every time I see the question, I also see strange answers that don't seem to make sense. Basically I want to know if the things I list should be classified under the "Academic Enrichment" section of AADSAS. So far from what ADEA's guidelines say for the section and what others have put.. this is what I have compiled so far. Can anyone please tell me if I should take any of these out of this section and why? Also what else would you put in this section? Thank you.

- Honor Society memberships at my university
- Participating in a Microbiology Research Lab at my university (I heard some people put this in this specific section. Is there a special section on AADSAS to put this under, or is this an acceptable area?)
- UCLA's Basic Dental Principles Lecture Class (This is not an actual official transcript class, but instead a class you pay for with a Pass/No Pass grading which is also a prereq for the lab portion of the class)
- UCLA's 1 Day Pre-Dental Beginner Tooth Waxing and Denture Course (Basically manual dexterity and intro dental tools/materials class)
- UCLA ASDA Pre-Dental "Core Build-Up Day" (Starts with lectures from the Dean of Academic Programs, and the Dean of Admissions, then goes to personal statement reviews, mock interviews, choosing the right dental schools and more.)
- Western University's Pre-Dental Day with a lab simulation (Talks about the program, then campus and building tours, then a hands-on lab simulation).
- Completing in-person research lab "Safety and Laboratory Training" (about 4 hours of training)
- Completing online research lab training "General lab safety, centrifuge safety, and autoclave safety" (about 4 hours of training)
- UCLA Health training modules (Required for admittance into the 80 Hour Dental School Volunteer Program) which includes HIPAA Privacy, CICARE online training, Safe patient handling, volunteer services, and radiation safety training (about 3 hours of training)

Also is there anywhere that you can put that you are a Pre-Dental ASDA member? Would this also go in the Academic Enrichment section, or somewhere else? Thank you again!

Can someone tell me what people are talking about with this Lecom letters and credits thing? I know they're talking about a tab on the portal but when I open mine there is nothing there

Last edited:
Hey guys I know this has been asked around on FAQ's and on specific threads but every time I see the question, I also see strange answers that don't seem to make sense. Basically I want to know if the things I list should be classified under the "Academic Enrichment" section of AADSAS. So far from what ADEA's guidelines say for the section and what others have put.. this is what I have compiled so far. Can anyone please tell me if I should take any of these out of this section and why? Also what else would you put in this section? Thank you.

- Participating in a Microbiology Research Lab at my university (I heard some people put this in this specific section. Is there a special section on AADSAS to put this under, or is this an acceptable area?)
- UCLA's Basic Dental Principles Lecture Class (This is not an actual official transcript class, but instead a class you pay for with a Pass/No Pass grading which is also a prereq for the lab portion of the class)
- UCLA's 1 Day Pre-Dental Beginner Tooth Waxing and Denture Course (Basically manual dexterity and intro dental tools/materials class)
- UCLA ASDA Pre-Dental "Core Build-Up Day" (Starts with lectures from the Dean of Academic Programs, and the Dean of Admissions, then goes to personal statement reviews, mock interviews, choosing the right dental schools and more.)
- Western University's Pre-Dental Day with a lab simulation (Talks about the program, then campus and building tours, then a hands-on lab simulation).
- Completing in-person research lab "Safety and Laboratory Training" (about 4 hours of training)
- Completing online research lab training "General lab safety, centrifuge safety, and autoclave safety" (about 4 hours of training)
- UCLA Health training modules (Required for admittance into the 80 Hour Dental School Volunteer Program) which includes HIPAA Privacy, CICARE online training, Safe patient handling, volunteer services, and radiation safety training (about 3 hours of training)

Include the following:

UCLA Health training modules (Required for admittance into the 80 Hour Dental School Volunteer Program) which includes HIPAA Privacy, CICARE online training, Safe patient handling, volunteer services, and radiation safety training (about 3 hours of training)

Include the following:

UCLA Health training modules (Required for admittance into the 80 Hour Dental School Volunteer Program) which includes HIPAA Privacy, CICARE online training, Safe patient handling, volunteer services, and radiation safety training (about 3 hours of training)

Thank you for the response. Could you tell me why you took out the honor society, research lab, as well as the training for the research lab and training for the ucla health center volunteering? Also is there any way you could tell me where each of those would go on the app? Thank you again!

I went to UCLA and did most of that stuff. Mentioning those training models as someone in here suggested would make me roll my eyes as an adcom. Mention the 80 hour program, not those prereqs for it. It comes off as trying to fill in every inch of space they give you which isn't necessary. I had 1 entirely blank section, and 3 items at most in the others, usually only 1 or 2 though. I'm starting at UCLA in a month or so, let me know if you have specific questions.

Last edited:
I went to UCLA and did most of that stuff. Mentioning those training models as someone in here suggested would make me roll my eyes as an adcom. Mention the 80 hour program, not those prereqs for it. It comes off as trying to fill in every inch of space they give you which isn't necessary. I had 1 entirely blank section, and 3 items at most in the others, usually only 1 or 2 though. I'm starting at UCLA in a month or so, let me know if you have specific questions.

That is extremely helpful. But would I put the 80 hour volunteer program in this "Academic Enrichment" section? Shouldn't it be in the dental volunteer section? Also is there any way I could email you my personal statement to take a look at it? I don't really need much revising, just approval if it has the essential components which are needed. By the way, as you can probably tell, UCLA has always been my top dental school choice (probably as well half of the other pre-dents in the country). It really is an incredible school with caring students and staff. I know you are going to love your time there!

Also guys where do things like Honor society/Pre-dental society/ Health Professions club memberships go on AADSAS? Would it be under the "Extracurricular/Volunteer/Community Service" section or somewhere else? I don't think I can fit it into this section since I have a bunch of other volunteer and community service events I have done, and there are only 10 slots max.

Also guys where do things like Honor society/Pre-dental society/ Health Professions club memberships go on AADSAS? Would it be under the "Extracurricular/Volunteer/Community Service" section or somewhere else? I don't think I can fit it into this section since I have a bunch of other volunteer and community service events I have done, and there are only 10 slots max.
Yes, they would all go there. Pick the 10 you think are the most important and meaningful. For example, if you're deciding between "volunteered for 4 hours at ____ one time" and "pre-dental society, 3 years" I'd pick the pre-dental society.

That is extremely helpful. But would I put the 80 hour volunteer program in this "Academic Enrichment" section? Shouldn't it be in the dental volunteer section? Also is there any way I could email you my personal statement to take a look at it? I don't really need much revising, just approval if it has the essential components which are needed. By the way, as you can probably tell, UCLA has always been my top dental school choice (probably as well half of the other pre-dents in the country). It really is an incredible school with caring students and staff. I know you are going to love your time there!
Go ahead and PM your PS and I'll definitely take a look at it. And you're right it would go under the volunteer section. If I can access my app still I can PM you exactly where I put my stuff if that helps.

Yes, they would all go there. Pick the 10 you think are the most important and meaningful. For example, if you're deciding between "volunteered for 4 hours at ____ one time" and "pre-dental society, 3 years" I'd pick the pre-dental society.
Thank you!

For my committee packet, I chose to get letters from my teachers and one from my employer. On AADSAS, you can upload a committee packet and an additional letter, so I wanted the additional letter to be from the dentist that I shadowed. The problem is that my committee packet was uploaded earlier than the dentist letter and I had already submitted the application, so Now the dental schools think that I wanted my employer to be the additional letter ( I confirmed this by looking at the status of my application on the school's portal). My application at some schools has already gone under review. I wanted to call the schools, but they say to "please refrain from calling or emailing our office regarding your application status". What should I do? Am I in trouble?

Does any know how to check the verification process of coursework section in the portal? I have all my U.S transcript sent in last week (and I know it will take several weeks for this too).

Hey guys, I have a question about job description under "professional experience" section. If I worked as a lab technician and cashier, for each job, do I just need to put what my responsibilities were? or should I also include how it benefited/help me (in terms of acquiring skills) and etc.
Also, how do I add volunteer experience at annual health fairs? (I've done about 80 hours (20 hours each year at this annual health fair for 4 years) of volunteer service) Do I just skip the "average weekly hours" and put the total hours below?

Hey everyone, I submitted my AADSAS application about a week ago and had a question about following up on apps with the dental school.

I know some dental schools specifically say "please refrain from calling or emailing our office regarding your application status", so I'm assuming for these schools I should not call them up to follow up on the status of my application. But for the schools that don't specifically say that, do you recommend I call up the schools maybe a week or two after my AADSAS app has been received by the schools? Or should I only do this after my supplemental application has been sent to the school? Or should I do it twice (once after the primary and once after the secondary app has been submitted)? Or should I flat out never do it?

What are your experiences with following up with a dental school with ANY or all of your applications? Thanks for all of the help everyone!

I was a teaching assistant for anatomy but received credit for it. Could I still list it under extracurriculars or would it not be considered an extracurricular because i received credit for it?

Also, I recently (spring 2016) started a pre- dental club at my school but since it is so new and haven't gotten the chance to do much with the club yet, I have been contemplating weather or not I should include it under extracurriculars. I would really appreciate any feedback!

Hey guys I had sent in and completed everything regarding my application except for the DAT. I finally took the DAT on 7/27 and am wondering if I am supposed to do something or email schools about it. I keep getting emails from schools saying Application is on hold for DAT scores. Or do I just continue to wait for the scores to arrive to them?

AADSAS will get the scores and send them out. Mines took a couple of weeks (I took it 6/28 and it was uploaded 7/12).

Can you change the school of a planned course once you submit?

I'm not sure, but if you can't you should just email the school you are interested in. I'm sure it's no biggie.

Yes that's where it goes and choose your 10 best/favorites!

How do school's know a lab was included with a science class if it is not on the transcript?

How do school's know a lab was included with a science class if it is not on the transcript?
The number of credits I'd assume. Plus you're likely not the first person to ever apply from your school

Sent from my SM-G550T using SDN mobile

I was contacted about missing a class about a month after I got my acceptance letter. I sent them the course catalog with my transcript and it was easily fixed.
They never mentioned it before, so I'm guessing it wasn't a big issue.

I feel like deterring my admission til next year, I am writing a deferral letter to the admission in U of T. The time allotted to present seems not enough, since I got the acceptance a bit too late. I am currently a hygienist and presently working, did anyone here did a deferral before ?

Did you get in easily the next year ? I plan of doing the deferral since doing the necessary requirements is tough in a short notice. I'm debating if it's a smart move to wait another term

I've read around here that there's this magnifying glass icon on their AADSAS to preview their completed application, but I can't seem to find it anywhere under my School Designations or School Decisions. Where is that located?

I've read around here that there's this magnifying glass icon on their AADSAS to preview their completed application, but I can't seem to find it anywhere under my School Designations or School Decisions. Where is that located?
Dental school designation in the middle of the page not the right side you will see binoculars

Dental school designation in the middle of the page not the right side you will see binoculars

Do the binoculars look blatantly obvious? Because they're no where in sight :\ I just see the program name, state, date designated, mailing date, and mailing status.

Do the binoculars look blatantly obvious? Because they're no where in sight :\ I just see the program name, state, date designated, mailing date, and mailing status.
You're looking at the Dental School Designations tab on the right-hand panel. You need to click on the Dental School Designations tab in the middle panel at the very bottom. Blue binoculars icon will be very obvious.

You're looking at the Dental School Designations tab on the right-hand panel. You need to click on the Dental School Designations tab in the middle panel at the very bottom. Blue binoculars icon will be very obvious.

Oh. My. Goodness. I don't know why I never thought to click on that. Thank you and @workofshart!

if you remove a letter writer from your ADEA application and add in a new email, will they know?