Asked about other acceptances at interview..Good or bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I mention the other acceptances in the letter of interest?

• Yes

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • No

Votes: 14 46.7%

• Total voters
D

deleted172531

So during my last interview at my number one choice I was asked about my status at other schools and once they found I out I had been to a few other interviews they asked if I had been accepted anywhere...I said yes.

I was placed on the waitlist. Out of all the schools I interviewed at this was the only place to ask me about my status with other schools and this was the only place I got waitlisted.

So here is my question for the SDN masses: For my letter of interest/intent should I mention the fact that I am holding acceptances elsewhere and I need to send them a deposit but would much rather send the deposit to them (top choice) instead?

Members don't see this ad.

I would mention it but word it carefully...don't really have any suggestions on HOW to say it, but I think that it will help to let them know that even though you have other options you are more interested in their program.

I don't think mentioning acceptances in the interview is a bad thing. I think they just want to see where you're at in the process and what you are thinking. If I get accepted here Im gonna mention you in my letter of withdrawal and ask them to give you my spot!!! Im dead serious!!!

In the opinion of someone who believes in an absolute moral standard, I would recommend that you always tell the truth.

So, since it's your #1 school, you would ALSO want to tell them the truth about how you sincerely want to go to it more than the others.

(in short, the answer to your question: yes)

Members don't see this ad :)
Was that interview at CCOM by any chance? That was the only place where I was asked that question and ended up being waitlisted too. I thought it was rude of the interviewer to ask that question and I don't understand why they would want to know that info. I'm not sure about whether it should be mentioned in you LOI. On the one hand it could show the admissions committee that you are an attractive candidate to other schools and maybe they overlooked your file and it merits a revisit, on the other hand the school may feel that you will get to go to medical school regardless of their decision and you didn't jump out the first time as a perfect fit for their school, so your file doesn't need to be reviewed. It's so hard to get into their heads!

In the opinion of someone who believes in an absolute moral standard, I would recommend that you always tell the truth.

I agree which is why I said yes during the interview..But for some reason I feel it hurt my chances. Just not sure how.:shrug:

Was that interview at CCOM by any chance? That was the only place where I was asked that question and ended up being waitlisted too.

No, it was not CCOM.
I thought it was rude of the interviewer to ask that question and I don't understand why they would want to know that info.

+1

I'm not sure about whether it should be mentioned in you LOI. On the one hand it could show the admissions committee that you are an attractive candidate to other schools and maybe they overlooked your file and it merits a revisit, on the other hand the school may feel that you will get to go to medical school regardless of their decision

Exactly how I feel...Which lead to this thread.:laugh:

I interviewed at CCOM and wasn't asked. I interviewed at Nova and was asked. I told them the truth and got in. I don't think it matters at all.

Come on, think about it. Why in the hell would it matter. They're probably just trying to watch you squirm - or better yet, give you some fodder to obsess on SDN about.

There is no way that mentioning your other acceptances altered your outcome at that school.

Think of it this way. They know that you've already been accepted to medical school but you're still interviewing with them. That should tell them something about your desire to go there.

Think of it this way. They know that you've already been accepted to medical school but you're still interviewing with them. That should tell them something about your desire to go there.

my take exactly :thumbup:

just make sure it doesnt sound like you're trying to brag and they'll see where you're at.

I don't think it matters. I think they want to see how you answer the question and are generally just interested in what type of applicant you are. These questions didn't bother me. I wouldn't have interviewed at the schools that I wasn't interested in, so I didn't think I needed to lie.

Yea there's nothing to hide. They know ppl get accepted to other schools and they know you are applying else where. I got asked about how many schools, and if I was applying to MD and I told them. When I told my interviewer how many DO schools, he said you must really want to get into DO. So it shows interest for the profession. Then he asked me how will I decide, and I just gave him an honest answer...and I got in.

Now its 9 and 11. If you do a Chi-squared analysis you get

(11-10)^2/10 + (9 -10) ^2/10 = .2, df = 1, p-value = .655.

Yeah still not statistically significant difference in results. Oh well.

Now its 9 and 11. If you do a Chi-squared analysis you get

(11-10)^2/10 + (9 -10) ^2/10 = .2, df = 1, p-value = .655.

Yeah still not statistically significant difference in results. Oh well.

haha..It's all good since I already sent my letter in yesterday..But thanks for the quick analysis.:laugh:

I think saying the truth in the interview is good, but just a yes may hurt your chances, perhaps saying yes I do but I would choose this school is the way to go. (I am sure that is what you did) For the LOI, I would make the letter all about why you want this school above others, you can say you got accepted somewhere else but I would say just let it be a tiny passing piece of information in the novel of how great you would fit in with their school. IMHO